Start by marking “The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2.5)

The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle #2.5)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  83,320 Ratings  ·  8,537 Reviews
Deep below the University, there is a dark place. Few people know of it: a broken web of ancient passageways and abandoned rooms. A young woman lives there, tucked among the sprawling tunnels of the Underthing, snug in the heart of this forgotten place.

Her name is Auri, and she is full of mysteries.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a brief, bittersweet glimpse of Auri’s
Hardcover, First Edition, 159 pages
Published October 28th 2014 by DAW Books

To ask other readers questions about The Slow Regard of Silent Things, please sign up.
Connie Degas does the UK edition....Podehl does the US edition....both are excellent....as I am sure Rothfuss will be....

People need to seriously stop trying…more

People need to seriously stop trying to dictate what an author chooses to do or not do...if he wants to go back and narrate the two past books before finishing the third it's his prerogative...if he decides to never finish the third book, again...his prerogative....it will be finished when he's ready to finish it...and really, I would hate to read the book that he was forced to write instead of the one he was pleased to write....(less)
Dan Patrick talks about that in the post about this book over on his blog: http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2014/...

As he says, "It’s not book three. It’s…more

As he says, "It’s not book three. It’s not a mammoth tome that you can use to threaten people and hold open doors. It’s a short, sweet story about one of my favorite characters. It’s a book about Auri."(less)

Patrick
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So this book is coming out on the 28th of October, just two weeks away, and I'm growing increasingly nervous.

This isn't an unusual thing. Authors are always anxious before the release of a book. We worry if people will like it. We worry about the publisher being satisfied with the sales. We worry about the translations being good.

I am all those types of worried. But I have other worries too.

One of my biggest concerns is that despite my best efforts to spread the word, people will pick this bo
Eric
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Update: I am going to leave my earlier rant about Rothfuss below, since it received so much commentary -- both positive and negative. Here I will leave my thoughts on the novella, now having read it.

There is no way I can review this without it looking like I am just piling on and confirming what I ranted about, but let me assure you, despite my wish that he finish the Kingkiller trilogy first, I really wanted to like this. I did enjoy The Lightning Tree, another diversion of his, a great deal.

Th
Brigid
Jun 07, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
WOW. people are seriously fucking angry on here. It's hilarious how emotional people get over a release date. Guys, the dude is a really good writer. Not to mention he's a perfectionist. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Give him a break. He's got his own life separate from being a writer. Let him be.

Alex
Oct 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I loved his first two books, but this is dire. There's absolutely no plot, it's just ~150 pages of a girl running around in the sewers doing Feng Shui and kissing inanimate objects.
Alex Ristea
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the most beautiful story I've read in years.

Think about that word, beautiful, and what it means to you. It could be a memory, a place, a loved one, an emotion.

Keep thinking.

It's not the best analogy, but it's the best I can do because The Slow Regard of Silent Things is in a class all of its own and it evokes a response that no other book has managed to elicit from me.

It is strange, it is gentle, it is true, it is heart-warming, it is poetic, it is pure Rothfuss.

I don't know about you, b
Bryce Wilson
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Rothfuss's new novella, "Things Are Picked Up And Then Set Down Elsewhere" certainly lives up to its title. If you have a sexual fetish for descriptions of things moved from one place to another look out because Christmas has come fucking early.

Now look- I'm as hardcore a Rothfuss Partisan as they come but by page fifty or so I started doing this...

And I didn't stop until the Author's Note where Rothfuss assures you not to worry if you didn't like the stor
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
3.5-4 stars?
Bookdragon Sean
“People are going to read this and be pissed.”
-Patrick Rothfuss (2014)

Well Pat was right. People are pissed. I’m pissed.

I’ve been warned about this, several times in fact. I’ve been told that it's terrible. I’ve been told that it has no plot or any string of story. I’ve been told that it is utter garbage, and I disbelieved it. I consider myself a huge fan of Patrick Rothfuss. His first book was great and his second book was almost the same. His writing is fantastic, his world is superb and hi
Petrik
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
2.5/5 Stars

Probably one of the weirdest books I ever read. I like and dislike this book equally, hence the rating. (Since this is a novella, my review will be shorter than usual.)

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a novella about one of my favorite side character in the Kingkiller Chronicle series, the enigmatic and bizarre Auri and although it’s numbered Kingkiller Chronicles #2.5, the plot of this novella actually took place during chapter 7-11 of The Wise Man’s Fear and it’s centered on Auri
Ɗắɳ  2.☊
Dec 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
I’m not exaggerating whatsoever when I say, this may very well be The Worst Book I Have Ever Read. Yes, worse than every children’s book, pop-up picture book, Twilight, teen romance, Dean Koontz, Scooby-Doo mystery, you name it—I’ve leafed through more entertaining chemistry textbooks. As far as literature goes, this is the bottom of the barrel scrapings! This opinion, no less, is coming from a Rothfuss fan who really enjoyed each of his first two books. Yes, they were kitten squishers, but the ...more
Idcboobs
May 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
*This is a copy/paste of my opinion on the release date and general money grabbing of Patrick Rothfuss, not a review of an unreleased book, dissimilar to what other people are able to do?*

First let me say; before the release of the name of the wind, Patrick Rothfuss announced the completion of all three books, the three books in this trilogy were completed, the three books who would write for this series had been finished, he planned to release these books in one-year intervals, as he announced,
Robin (Bridge Four)
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 filled with secrets stars

I have wondered for two books now more about two very specific characters Auri and Bast and does this ever deliver on Auri. I longed to know more about what Auri does in the Underthing, how she ended up there and what else goes through her mind. One of my favorite things in The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear were Auri’s interactions with Kvothe things like:
 photo auri_zps0881bf80.jpg
“I have an apple that thinks it’s a pear. And a bun that thinks it’s a cat. And a lettuce that thin
Allie
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Being one of Pat's beta readers I had the pleasure of reading this last month. I absolutely adored it. The way it's written, I highly advise you read it twice. You will pick up on a lot of interesting things the second time around. Everyone is definitely in for a treat. Rothfuss has never let me down. Absolutely a fabulous writer! I can't wait until it's out so I can discuss it!!
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
While this book is very aptly named. It was not for me. I really was not into slowly regarding silent things.
Jerry Smith
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This section is not a review. For that see further below. Also, those of you who rate books before they are released and haven't read an ARC, what the hell? 5-star , 1-star, whatever-star, you haven't read the book yet so withhold your judgement. Or is that a way of you just rating your excitement for the book? Maybe goodreads should have a "Hype" indicator you can vote on so you can get your fix that way.

This is mainly focused towards all you keyboard warriors out there. I'm being a bit of a h
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Auri is adorable. I love the insight into her mind and her life. I like the way this builds up nicely to a lovely scene in The Wise Man's Fear. The descriptions of the underthing were amazing and very complex. It upset me when she went depressed. Her mind seems scrambled at times, a bit of obsessive compulsive disorder but she is adorable and I think highly important to the series overall. I think I love her. Yes I do.
James x
www.youandibooks.wordpress.com
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing

A lot of people are saying that this book isn't for everyone. Even the author warns the reader ahead of time that this book is...different and may not be suited to their tastes or what they are used to.

I beg to differ. I'm sorry...but if you DO NOT like this book...well...it means you are dead inside!! If you did not enjoy this story it means that YOU ARE WRONG.

Its just that. Plain and simple. Clear cut and right to the point. This story...its magic on paper. I will defend this story until my de
Cher
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
2 stars - Meh. Just ok.

Sigh, easily my biggest disappontment of the year, especially because it was so anticipated. I have long felt that novellas within a series were pointless, needless fluff driven by publishers to increase sales. If even King Rothfuss cannot pull it off, I am now more convicted in that belief. Listen to the man when he tells you in the foreword and the author's note, that you might not want to buy this book.

This is essentially a plotless story where the reader follows aroun
Salma Thabet
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
I feel as if book 3 is being kept as a hostage,:

"If i buy this book patrik might be encouraged to finish book 3.
NOW that he's done with THAT project , he might finally say something about book 3.
NOW that his kickstarter project is halfway through, he MIGHT find time to finish the bloody book.
NOW that he's done with this or that reading and signing event, He MIGHT actually..."
blsh blah blah...

I don't follow his blog anymore, a major point for some people to start buying a book series is when a
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Ugh.

The only thing I liked about this is the illustrations, and I didn't even look at them until after I finished listening to the audiobook.

I enjoy seeing Auri every now and then in the Kingkiller Chronicles, but following her around throughout her daily activities was incredibly boring, and extremely strange.
Jeff
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I want to get something out of the way before starting a small review. So here it goes. I don't understand the negativity surrounding this novella. Especially those saying this book is a "money grab" or some other ridiculous baseless statement about him delaying the third instalment. Listen, with all respect, don't buy it if you think it's just for profit. There is a beautiful thing called choice that we all have, feel free to exercise that glorious human right. Instead of directing all this hat ...more
Marc Aplin
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Diehard fans of Patrick Rothfuss
Recommended to Marc by: Gollancz
Picking up The Slow Regard of Silent Things you are greeted by a number of warnings from the author:

[b]“You might not want to buy this book.”

“I think it’s only fair to warn you that this is a bit of a strange story.”

“I don’t go in for spoilers, but suffice to say that this one is… different. It doesn’t do a lot of the things a classic story is supposed to do.”

Patrick Rothfuss, 2014 [/b]

Yes. Going into The Slow Regard of Silent Things I’d heard all the warnings from Patrick Rothfuss – that this
Kaora
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-fantasy

When I first heard that Patrick Rothfuss was coming out with a book on Auri I was really excited. Despite my huge disappointment in the second book Wise Man's Fear, Auri was one of my favorite characters and I was thrilled to learn more about her.

This book is pure Rothfuss. Although there is not a lot of action, there is beauty in the words that few other authors can create
Eric Allen
Oct 11, 2014 added it
Shelves: newp
Well that’s a whole lot of nope. Believe it or not, I don’t think that Patrick Rothfuss is god’s gift to the universe. The man has published two whole novels in an entire decade. One of which was mediocre at best, and the other of which was a dumpster fire of epic proportions. He has since gone on to do some really shady, con-artisty shit, and make some very questionable, and outright offensive comments about entire genders and such that just makes me never want to hand another penny of my hard ...more
Sally Howes
THE SLOW REGARD OF SILENT THINGS will say something different to every reader. To me it says not only that nothing is ever quite what it seems to be, it says that everything is so much more than it appears. And it says that being broken doesn't mean you're not also perfect. It reminds me very much of one of my all-time favorite quotes, from Hemingway's A FAREWELL TO ARMS: "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places."

There are two things that are very important
C.W.
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I just don't understand why this even exists. Honestly, it's useless - I don't feel like I've learned a single thing about Auri, whom I love as a character in the Kingkiller Chronicles, that I couldn't have already gathered, or that couldn't have been told in a much shorter five page short story. Ten pages at the most. The writing honestly isn't even up to par with his other books. It's not that it's boring, it's not that it's confusing, it's not that "it doesn't do what stories should do" (as P ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: I think this is a book that most of the hard core fans will gush over, but I thought it was just alright. 3.5 stars rounded down for reasons I get into (rant about?) below.

Audio book: I haven't done any of the Kingkiller books in audio. I have friends who have gushed to me over both the Rupert Degas and the Nick Podehl versions.

I'm not sure if those people will bothered by this one being read by Mr. Rothfuss himself, but I thought for this book at least, he makes for a good na
Nihan
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoriler
Okuduğum en garip şeydi.
Nico
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
German Review on GosuReviews

Only for real hardcore fans. Ridiculous to demand 14-18 Euro for the ebook/hc. Not worth for me at all. The prose was usually good as you expect from Rothfuss, but the plot, if you can call it that, is very lackluster. It would have been really better off in an anthology as originally planed. I wouldn't be surprised if this will damage Rothfuss's reputation.
Macarena Yannelli
Lo hiciste de nuevo. Patrick, damn you. Al principio estaba tan confundida que creí que no me iba a gustar, pero creo que es lo que logró este hombre, que la confusión sea algo bello. Una historia hermosa de uno de mis personajes favoritos de todos los tiempos.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Rothfuss Expose: What "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" really means for KKC fans!! 147 658 Apr 06, 2018 12:35PM
Auri Namer? 8 122 Jan 18, 2018 02:07PM
Around the Year i...: The Slow Regard of Silent Things, by Patrick Rothfuss 12 88 Aug 07, 2016 03:16PM
Ambitious Bibliop...: UGHH 4 38 May 24, 2016 12:43PM
KingKiller? 17 241 Nov 19, 2015 03:46AM
Rothfussians: Slow Regard of Silent Things - Discussion 67 323 May 03, 2015 07:43AM
  • Rogues
  • Sixth of the Dusk
  • Unfettered
  • Servant of the Crown (Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and the Fool, #1)
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
  • Messenger’s Legacy (The Demon Cycle, #3.5)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends
More about Patrick Rothfuss

The Kingkiller Chronicle (3 books)
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true.” 241 likes
“This story is for all the slightly broken people out there. I am one of you. You are not alone. You are all beautiful to me.” 140 likes