Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > Pass The Parcel Round 11 - Q&A. Theme posted here each week..

Comments Showing 1-50 of 259 (259 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Please ask questions about the Pass The Parcel team challenge here. I'll try to summarise the questions and answers in these first few posts.

I will also announce the themes each Friday in this thread and keep track of those categories announced in this message.

Themes Announced:

(view spoiler)

Week 9
Option 1
1. Read a book set in the UK.
Please note the country setting in your selection post.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, simply called the United Kingdom or UK, is a sovereign state in Northern Europe. It is a constitutional monarchy that is made up of four separate countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Option 2Key date: 2 May 2018

Week 10
Option 1
6. Read a book with a building on the cover.
Please post the bookcover in your selection post.
Option 2 Key date: 9 May 2018

Week 11 Final call!
Option 1
13. Read a book by an author whose first and last name start with the same letter. Eg Cassandra Clare.
Their initials may be used but must be the first initial. Eg. A.M. Arthur
Option 2 Key date: 16 May 2018
In this final week, if you use Option 2 you must select your book from a member in the team below yours in the following list:

8 Pirates of Romance
5 The Challenge Executioners
7 Read, We Must Not Lose Our Glasses
11 Gilbert & S-Eleven
2 Booking It!
3 Readers of Penzance
4 Love Sick Maidens
10 Its Not Over Til the Fab Ladies Read
12 Backstage Antics
9 Modern Major Romance-ologists
6 The Pirates of Pen's Pants
1 Caption Cooks
Team 1 selects option 2 books from Team 8.

How the teams are going:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YwP...

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Q&A

About the Challenge

Q: I see in the directions that a theme will be called each Friday. Under what circumstances would I need to read more than one book per week? Just if I fall behind?
A: Yes. You will only be reading more than one book in a week if you are behind in your reading. However if you can use your 'pass' (option 3) during the challenge you could read only 9 books in 11 weeks. This will be entirely dependent on how your team works those 5 available passes in each 5 week block - remembering that there likely 6 team members in your team.

Falling behind by more than two books: you can't fall behind by more than two books. If you have two books outstanding at the theme announcement, you will need to have read at least one book in the new theme's week. If another theme is announced and you have three books unread, then I will have to remove you.

Q: For a theme call, can I use a book I'm already reading ?
A: No. Books must be started after the theme call. This is the same for all RRRC challenges. (You can start a book after a theme call but before you have posted your selection post.)

Q: Do we have to report anywhere when the team is done with a week's theme?
A: Each group will have their own thread, and members will post their progress there. Team Captains will summarise team progress at the front of their team thread. I will maintain an overall progress chart for all the teams - and will post progress sporadically (hopefully weekly depending on my time commitments), but definitely in the last week ;)

Q: Completion post. Rather than including my review in the completion post, can I insert a link to my review?
A: No. Please include your actual review in the completion post.

Q: Option 2. Select a book from the 'READ' list of a team-mate that they read in the last 6 months AND that the team-mate rated at least 3 stars. Can we have a firm date set for the full challenge, eg 1 August, to allow for planning?
A: No. The six months will recalibrate each week - you can't plan until you have your team and it is only up to 6 members whose shelves you can pick from. I'll provide the six month date limit each week to avoid confusion.

Q: Does the 'series' rule only apply to Option 2?
A: Yes

Q: Under Option 2, can I use the same book from my team-mates shelf in multiple weeks under the 'series' rule? eg. continuing a series but using the same qualifying book.
A: Yes. But this can only continue whilst the book on your teamie's shelf continues to meet the 6 month key date timeframe.

Q: Regarding the option to 'pass'. Do we have to decide that week who's passing or could we choose later on? Let's say that during week 1, everybody decides to read their book but once week 2 starts, one player realizes she cannot read week 1's book for whatever reason. Assuming that nobody else from the team passed, could she then decide to pass on last week's book?
A: No. The book selection or pass needs to be specified in the theme announcement week.
Members can only change their book selection in that theme's week. Once the next theme is announced, books are set in stone and cannot be changed.

Q: Do the books we use have to be on a particular bookshelf?
A: In some cases yes. Books must be selected from the lists provided if I don't have "(stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf)". Where I have noted "(stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf)", if a book is chosen from one of the optional lists, it is automatically approved.

Q: Must people follow the format you provided exactly? Or does the captain just need to make sure they include pertinent info? Week, book, # of pages, option and in the case they pick a shelf/listopia, a link to that?
A: I absolutely need the information requested here. I don't mind what the format is, although I would prefer it set out in the order of the list.
A link or bookcover MUST be used. You cannot just type out the book title. And where the book is from a list or bookshelf, a link to that source MUST be provided.

The reasons:
* If you don't have the link to the book, the Captain and I will have trouble checking that the book qualifies. There are a lot of books out there with the same title. You don't want to be told AFTER you have read the book that it doesn't work.
* I need the week that the book relates to since some books may be read out of order.
* The page numbers makes it so much easier for everyone to know that the books complies with the rules.
* The same for the bookshelf link or the qualifying note referencing the GR summary (ie how it qualifies for the theme).

It is important that the members do their bit to help out the Captain and the organizers to show compliance without us having to go digging.

Q: When you say "the Captain will also double-check that your book selection complies with the rules": Does this mean that if team-members say 'book is in this shelf' the captain must verify that the book is actually on the shelf? And that if they say the theme is in the GR summary, we also have to verify that?
A: I don't want the Captain to be a policeman but we do need someone in each team following how the rest of the team is progressing. If the info provided by the member looks reasonable to the Captain, fine - there is no need to investigate each link or how the book qualifies.
But if we are reading a theme and the book selected looks dubious for that theme or how it qualifies, I would like the Captain to check it out further.

Q: What is the precis?
A: The precis is the blurb on the back of the book cover; the summary; the synopsis. Any of the details that are posted on the GR book description page will qualify.

Q: My book doesn't have a page count on Goodreads but I have the word count. Can I use the word count and what is the minimum acceptable?
A: Yes - a 35,000 minimum word count will be accepted as a substitute for the 100 page minimum. Because the word count to page conversion varies greatly, I have gone at the high end for this conversion.

Q: My book doesn't have a page count on Goodreads but Amazon does have a page count. Can I use Amazon's page count?
A: Yes. Please provide a link to the Amazon book page.

Q: If I read two books during the challenge that qualify for an announced theme, does our team earn more points?
A: No. We don't actually accumulate points in this challenge. You and your team-mates either complete all your reading and are ready to 'read-off' in the last week (week 11), or you aren't...

Q: If a team member is going to be away during the week of a theme, can they leave a list of pre-selected books (for all remaining themes) with the Team Captain to post that week?
A: Yes. If the team member has already highlighted that they will be away for a particular week, or has an operation etc, I am happy for the Team Captain to post that participant's book selection post. They must have pre-selected a book for that theme though.

The alternative is for the absent member to pre-select a book that complies with option 2, taking into account the 6 month date that will apply during that week.

Q: If a team member is reading a book in another language, should they post the book link in the selection & completion posts to the non-English version or to the English version?
A: Please link all books to the English version of that book. The book MUST have an English version to qualify for use during this challenge. (Apologies to everyone that is affected by this rule, but I need to know that the book qualifies for the theme etc.)

Q: Are re-reads allowed?
A: Yes. But each book can only be read once during the round/challenge.
If the theme specifically excludes a re-read, eg First in a new (to you) series, then obviously you must select a book you haven't read before.

Q: Does the book have to be a romance?
A: No, but it does have to be a novel. Textbooks will not count. Biographies and autobiographies are OK.

Q: If I don't find a book I like in the lists of theme books, I can choose any book that fits the theme?
No. You MUST select a book from a list where lists have been provided and where they do not have '(stated in the precis or shown on listopia or shelf) optional lists:' That is, if the only other typing with the theme are lists, then you MUST choose a book from those lists.
Other lists have 'optional' in front of them simply to help people. I won't question books that come from those lists. But you can also choose books that fit the theme via the blurb/precis, through bookshelves or other lists not provided. You just need to state how it fits and where the information came from.

REMEMBER: you may also select to use option 2 or 3 that week.

Q: If a book is on a specified theme list but does not (in my opinion) meet the theme, can I still read it?
A: Yes. If the book is on the mandatory (or optional) lists/shelves in the theme post it qualifies whether it meets the theme or not.

Q: If I pick a book off a team mate's shelf it has to be a book that fits the theme? Or can it be any book at all, as long as it got 3 stars and was read in last 6 months?
If you use Option 2, you do not need to fit it to the week's theme. As you said, it can be any book so long as it was rated at least 3 stars by your teamie and was read no more than 6 months prior.
AND if the book is in a series but does not match where you are up to, you may read another book from that same series.

Q: Can I use the same option 2 book from my team-mates shelf more than once during the challenge by invoking the series rule?
Yes. So long as the book remains 'read' within the last 6 months with reference back to the week's key date, you can use the same book from your team-mates shelf. You just can't read reread a book previously used with this round.

Q: Option 2 - If the book I want to read isn't on my team-mate's shelf but they have read it during this challenge, can I just link to their completion post in our team thread?
A: No. The book MUST appear on their 'read' list.

Q: Can I DNF a book?
To DNF a book you must have
* read at least 80% of the book
* the minimum page requirement of 100 pages must have been read in addition to having completed 80% (that is, if the book is only 105pp in total, you will need to have read through to and including page 100.)
* note in your review that it was a DNF and explain why
* rate accordingly (no higher than 2 stars) and shelve the book as DNF
* in the 'completion post', you will need to note the pages read out of the total pages.

If it is a current week book, you can of course change the book.

Q: If I want to change my book within the week of the theme call, can I also change my option - eg from Option 1 to Option 2 or 3
Yes.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Q&A

About the Themes

Q: Will any of the themes be repeated?
A: No, not for this round.

Q: Do we have to support that the book shows up in a particular shelf (eg showing you a link of how many people shelved a particular book as 'stalking') or just saying 'there's a stalker shelf' would suffice?
A: You must provide a link to that shelf/list within your selection book post.

Tip from Calila: After you've decided on your book, If you go the book page, scroll and click on "Lists with this book" and then click on the appropriate list and copy the url, you'll link directly to the book's ranking on the list rather than just copy/paste the list in general.

This is not a requirement - just an easy way to link to your book in a list.

Q: What happens if a book is mis-shelved?
A: If books have been incorrectly shelved, they still count for that round. (I would appreciate them being removed if it is an RRRC shelf AFTER the round is finished.)

Where a theme has optional lists and the theme must be apparent in the title, the goodreads summary page or must be shelved by a GR member using words that show eligibility.
Q: Does the book HAVE to be on a bookshelf?
A: Where a shelf has been listed for a 'list-mandatory' theme, YES.

Q: Are listopia lists sufficient for proof of eligibility for the non-mandatory list themes?
A: Listopia will work for eligibility where it's name is apparent and correlated to the theme.

Q: Where a theme is based on a bookcover, can we use alternate edition covers of the same book?
A: Yes

Q: Book length - Some books straddle the page minimums depending on format (eg all books must be at least 100 pages). Can I choose, for example, to use the paperback page count per goodreads even though the hardback page count for the same book does not qualify?
A: Yes. If there is a goodreads edition that cites over 100 pages (any edition), that book is fine to use.

Q: When the themes are announced is there going to be listopia or Readers shelves suggested to help us pick?
A: I have included in the themes the lists/shelves that can be used to select books in most cases, where applicable. There is only one theme where you have free-reign on shelf selection being the 'Fair' theme. For this theme, please use key words to show it qualfies via the precis or a bookshelf/list. If you aren't sure, please check here on this discussion thread.

Q: Does the 100 minimum page count still apply where books are included on a list/shelf that are under 100 pages.
A: Yes - the 100 page minimum still applies.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments How to insert a link into a post

To insert a simple link to a shelf there are a couple of options:

* Copy the https address in the address bar of the page where the book is found - highlight the web-address, copy the address, and paste into your post
or
* Find a link to the shelf that you want (eg on my lists of shelves to use for the themes), right click with your mouse, select 'Copy Link Location' and then paste into your post

If you want to make it pretty and have a specific name:

* Type <*a href="insert the link that you copied as per above">name the location<*/a> but without the asterisks.

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 16, 2018 03:01PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Theme ~ Gilbert & Sullivan

Books may be added to the listopia lists below if you are sure that each book fits the list requirements. Please read the list outline (top of the list) before you add a new book.

Gilbert & Sullivan ~ fast facts:
* Both born in London - 1836 and 1842 respectively
* W. S. Gilbert wrote the words
* Arthur Sullivan composed the music
* They wrote 14 comic operas between 1871 and 1896
* Their work continues to be performed throughout the world ~ over a century of performances

1. Read a book set in the UK

2. Read a book with an MC who is a writer (author, poet, screenplay writer, journalist etc) ~ from one of the following lists:
Hero/Heroine is a writer - Historical romance
Gay Romance feat writers, authors, journalists
Scribble: Writer heroes in contemporary romance
Ink Stained: Writer heroines in contemporary romance
Writer heroes and heroines in paranormal romance
Writer Leads in category romance novels

3. Read a book with an MC who plays or writes music (composer, musician, singer etc) ~ from one of the following lists:
Rock star romance
Muscially inclined heroines/heroines in romance
Play a Song for Me: Best musicians of contemporary romance
Opry: Romance novels with country music artists
Melody: PNR with singers and musicians
Notes: Musicians in historical romance
One Direction: MM fan fiction Who knew?!
MM with musician MC

4. Read a book by an author who has at least 14 distinct works.
On an author's page, their number of 'distinct works' appears just below their main details and within a summary of their books. (It follows avg ratings, ratings and reviews.)

5. On your full TBR ~ your 'want to read'/'to read' list, not a cut down list ~ do the following steps:
* sort your books by 'date added' with the oldest showing at the top of the page
* at the bottom of the screen set the list to show 100 books
* select a book in the first 100 results.

In 1881, Richard D'Orly Carte built the Savoy Theatre in London specifically to present Gilbert & Sullivan's work. The D'Oyly Carte Opera Company performed and promoted Gilbert & Sullivan's works for over a century.

6. Read a book with a building on the cover.

(Some of) The Operas:

The Sorcerer
The leading character was a Cockney businessman who happened to be a sorcerer, a purveyor of blessings (not much called for) and curses (very popular).

7. Read a book taggged with 'magic' (does not have to be a main page genre)

H.M.S. Pinafore
This opera satirises the rise of unqualified people to positions of authority and pokes good-natured fun at the Royal Navy and the English obsession with social status, addressing love between members of different social classes.

8. Read a book with MCs at different ends of wealth or social status from one of the following lists:
Cinderella romance
Romance books with a Cinderella / Rages to riches plot
Best gay Cinderfellas
Best gay romance with characters coming from different backgrounds
Wrong side of the tracks
Class differences in historical romances
Class differences in contemporary romance

H.M.S. Pinafore was the second-longest running musical up to that time.

9. Read a book with a beta MC from one of the following lists:
Best gay romance with bookish, nerdy or geeky characters
Nergasms
Nerdy guys are hot
Nerdy Geeky Heroines of romance novels
Nerdy Geeky Heroines of PNR and Scifi romance novels

The Pirates of Penzance
A key character is the Major-General who has up-to-date knowledge on everything except the military.

10. Read a book with an MC in or retired from the military ~ from one of the following lists:
Military romance and fiction
Military romance and fiction part 2
Best gay military
Girls with guns: military space opera starring female soldiers
Best gay soldiers

And the Pirates are all orphans.

11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:
Gay romance featuring an orphaned MC
All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love
Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted
Gay romance featuring a homeless MC
Homeless romance hero or heroine
UNICEF defines an orphan as a child under 18 years of age who has lost one or both parents to any cause of death. So I've added two more lists:
Best romance with a single parent
MM single parents

The Mikado
This was the most successful of the Savoy operas which made fun of English bureaucracy, thinly disguised by a Japanese setting.

12. Read a book with an Asian MC or set in Asia. The following lists are NOT compulsory ~ please add to them if possible.
Gay Asian books
Romance books with Asian love interests
Asian fantasy & science fiction
Romance in Asia and/or with Asian heroes/heroines
Romance books with Asian male as love interest
Romance books with Asian heroine as love interest
MC of Asian descent in queer romance
Romance in India or Indian Heroes/Heroines

For the purposes of this category, Asia will be defined as per Asia Regions in Wikipedia

The Mikado has some great leading character names, like Ko-Ko and Yum-Yum and is set in the town of Titipu.

13. Read a book by an author whose first and last name start with the same letter. Eg Cassandra Clare. Their initials may be used but must be the first initial. Eg. A.M. Arthur

The Gondoliers
Their last great success, this opera takes place partly in Venice and partly in a kingdom ruled by a pair of gondaliers.

14. Read a book that has at least two settings. That is, one or both MCs travel to another city/country during the book.

In the past 125 years, Gilbert and Sullivan have pervasively influenced popular culture in the English-speaking world, and lines/quotations from their operas have become part of the English language (even if not originated by Gilbert), such as "short, sharp shock", "What never? Well, hardly ever!" and "let the punishment fit the crime". The operas have influenced political style and discourse, literature, film and television, have been widely parodied by humorists, and have been quoted in legal rulings.

15. In honour of such a successful duo, read an anthology or a book written by two authors. Eg Ilona Andrews (Ilona and Andrew Gordon).

Guidance only:
Best MM books written by two authors
Sorry - no list found for the MF readers!

message 6: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff What world the captains responsibility he?

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 11, 2018 06:16PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "What world the captains responsibility he?"

Not too arduous SPuff - they track the selection and completion posts as their team-mates finish their books. Make sure the posts have all the needed detail (refer msg 3 in other thread). And point out if a selected book may not fit the category simply as a coutesy to their team mate. You would not be policing the picks but you also wouldn't want your teamie going off and reading a book that would be disqualified :D

You could check out prior team posts in the Team Archive thread. Here's one from last round (just randomly selected :) ~ https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 2230 comments #12 says the lists are not Compulsory. Does that mean we don't have to use those lists if we have another book in mind?

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 11, 2018 08:01PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Mary-Megan wrote: "#12 says the lists are not Compulsory. Does that mean we don't have to use those lists if we have another book in mind?"

Correct. So long as it is set in Asia (which I will further define) or has an Asian MC, it will work.

Asia will be defined as East and South-East Asia. Not India or the Middle-East.

You will just need to clarify in the selection post how it fits.

***edit***
If it is on one of those lists it will automatically qualify even if it was mis-shelved.

But it must still meet the 100 page requirement.

message 10: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Sorry for all these questions

If you use the option from a book a teammate has read can you use the book even if they didn't put a date read?

message 11: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23555 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "Sorry for all these questions

If you use the option from a book a teammate has read can you use the book even if they didn't put a date read?"

No, it has to have a read date to show that it was read in the last six months. Otherwise it wouldn't qualify for Option 2. You can ask your teammate to add a date if you know they have read it though.

message 12: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff For the military book, I have several books that take place during war. Could those count?

message 13: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Slytherpuff wrote: "For the military book, I have several books that take place during war. Could those count?"

They need to be on one of the lists provided. If the books you have qualify for the lists (check the lists definitions for what can be added) you can add those books to the lists unless the theme has already been announced.

You cannot add books to the lists once a theme has been announced.

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments I've opened up the definition of Asia in theme 9 to include the Middle-East, India, Uzbekistan and Siberia.

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2018 03:09PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Just as a point of clarification, with everyone picking names.,..

Gilbert & Sullivan wrote musical theatre and is more like the precursors of the musicals on Broadway :D Whilst it says 'comic opera', think more like the 19th century equivalent of High School Musical (IMHO at least) :D

Feel free to go with modern equivalents if that's easier.

My primary school put on The Mikado as a musical production 30+ years ago ~ no way was that opera!! LOL.

message 16: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Just a reminder that I will announce the first theme early if all players have checked in and you have a team name selected.

message 17: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Hey Jane. Team 8's name will be Pirates of Romance

message 18: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:19PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Thanks Chan - will update tonight 🙂

***edit***
Done :)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2497 comments Jane, team 5 would like to be called The Challenge Executioners.
Thanks

message 20: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Team 11 would like to be called Gilbert & S-Eleven

message 21: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Thanks Lisa & Calila - will update in the morning 🙂

message 22: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:25PM) (new)

MountainKat | 23555 comments Hi Jane - Team 6 has decided to be:

The Pirates of Pen's Pants

😂

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments MountainKat wrote: "Hi Jane - Team 6 has decided to be:

The Pirates of Pen's Pants

😂"

LOL - I just updated it as you typed this message! Done!

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 2001 comments Team 7 would like to be called "Read, We Must Not Lose Our Senses"

Thank you

message 25: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments These are some pretty awesome names :o)

message 26: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 1659 comments J.C. wrote: "I'm sorry, just stopped by cause I was curious about what them y'all are doing this time. And I seen this:
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following l..."

Hey J.C....thanks for sharing...I've just added several books to a list with multiple authors...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...
This was the only list I could find...perhaps if others have ideas for this you could add books to the list as well. I'm reading Ilona Andrews series...so if this category pops up I'm covered...but it would be good to have a few more choices...

message 27: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments If anyone is interested in being a back up player, please post here. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances cause a player to pull out...

message 28: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3825 comments Team 1 will be The Caption Cooks! Thanks!!

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise | 968 comments Team 3 will be Readers of Penzance

message 30: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Thanks - will update once I see where our missing players stand and then decide how to handle it...

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Ok - everyone is here and named!! And that means....

an early call!

I'll announce the first theme in just over an hour.

message 32: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 23555 comments Yay!!

message 33: by Fyre.Katz (new)

Fyre.Katz (fyrekatz) | 184 comments double yay!

MountainKat wrote: "Yay!!"

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1613 comments Fyre.Katz wrote: "double yay!

MountainKat wrote: "Yay!!""

Works for me.

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Hope you all have your books on the lists... Theme coming soon.

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Week 1

Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:
Gay romance featuring an orphaned MC
All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love
Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted
Gay romance featuring a homeless MC
Homeless romance hero or heroine
UNICEF defines an orphan as a child under 18 years of age who has lost one or both parents to any cause of death. So I've added two more lists:
Best romance with a single parent
MM single parents

If you use Option 1 your book MUST be chosen from one of the above lists.

Option 2
Key date: 7 March 2018

Please ensure you follow the format shown in msg 3 of your team threads. when you post your selection and completion posts.

message 37: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Thanks, Jane...and i didn't even have to trick you for an early call :o)

message 38: by Mary-Megan (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Mary-Megan | 2230 comments I wish things were always called on Wednesday. It would be a nice pick me up midweek and gives me time to get books from another library since holds aren't processed over the weekend...ah well, adapt we must...

message 39: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Mary-Megan wrote: "I wish things were always called on Wednesday. It would be a nice pick me up midweek and gives me time to get books from another library since holds aren't processed over the weekend...ah well, ada..."

I'll look at it for the next round :D

Anyone else prefer that timing?

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:57PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Chan wrote: "Thanks, Jane...and i didn't even have to trick you for an early call :o)"

LOL - I thought I was on time for a Wednesday call. Just 2 days early for the Friday call :)

PS - I'm watching you Chan *suspicious eyes*

message 41: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Can I use Jane PS for Option 2 if she read Forsaken (The Protectors, #4) by Sloane Kennedy on March 7, 2018? I mean she’s kinda like everyone’s Teammate, right? 😉

(Option 2: Key date: 7 March 2018)

message 42: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Can I use Jane PS for Option 2 if she read Forsaken (The Protectors, #4) by Sloane Kennedy on March 7, 2018? I mean she’s kinda like everyone’s Teammate, right? 😉

(Option 2: Key date: 7 March 2018)"

LOL - great throw but no dice!! :D

message 43: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments 😂😂😂. I had to give it a shot.
Thanks though!

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "😂😂😂. I had to give it a shot.
Thanks though!"

That's a good book though :) No-one else has a book in the series read recently? You can use the series rule...

message 45: by Ezi (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:05AM) (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "😂😂😂. I had to give it a shot.
Thanks though!"

That's a good book though :) No-one else has a book in the series read recently? You can use the series rule..."

~Melissa~ did read the latest one in 2018. But I decided that I’m going to try to use Option 1 as much as possible. It’s okay as I have lots of choices. I did stay up all night reading Forsaken and now I’m useless at work...but I got book 5 Vengeance (The Protectors, #5) by Sloane Kennedy for tonight. 😁
Thank you so much and I’m looking forward to this round!

message 46: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 06, 2018 03:18PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "😂😂😂. I had to give it a shot.
Thanks though!"

That's a good book though :) No-one else has a book in the series read recently? You can use the series rule..."
..."

I'm stuck on the side series at the mo (up to Redeeming Rafe ~ actually not sure which series is the 'side' series *shrugs*) but it isn't calling me. Perhaps I should go back to the Protectors... :)

message 47: by Ezi (new)

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I didn’t get into that series. I tried two audiobooks and they were meh.
The Protectors have that ex military and lost men thing I like

message 48: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I didn’t get into that series. I tried two audiobooks and they were meh.
The Protectors have that ex military and lost men thing I like"

Yes - me too. RR is the third book (fortunately KU). Sounds like I made it as far as you ;)

message 49: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Does every book read have to be romance?

message 50: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21339 comments No - we just encourage it 🙂 But a few members slip in other genres every now & then...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6