Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

For Finlay (For You, #1)
This topic is about For Finlay
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Nathan, J-- For Finlay informal buddy read starts July 4, 2018

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 28, 2018 06:15PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss For Finlay by J. Nathan.

Synopsis
A STANDALONE New Adult Romance in the For You series. Each book follows a new couple.

Finlay Thatcher is a lost soul, guilt-ridden after the death of her twin brother. When Alabama's football coach gives her the opportunity to work for him, she knows it's her chance to move on, even if it means living her brother's dream.

Caden Brooks is Alabama's star quarterback. He's got it all. The attention of adoring fans. A girlfriend who'd do anything to hold on to him. And a future in the pros. He's getting along just fine until Finlay steps into his life, despising him at first sight and pushing his buttons like no other.

Unfortunately for Finlay, and her attempt to keep Caden at arm's length, there's nothing Caden loves more than a challenge. The problem with this challenge is she comes with a secret that has the power to destroy everything.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 28, 2018 06:12PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments I'm in for Team Ginny Weasley!! Can't wait to start this book today! The synopsis sounds amazing.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Currently at 17%

Caden - (view spoiler)

Finlay - (view spoiler)

The Plot - (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Currently at 42%

Caden- (view spoiler)

Finlay - (view spoiler)

Leslie - (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Currently at 74%

Caden - (view spoiler)

Finlay - (view spoiler)

SandyL | 4458 comments Morgan wrote: "Currently at 17%

Caden - [spoilers removed]Finlay - Well, she is definitely reeling from grief, guilt, and shame. My heart hurts for her. "

Hi Morgan
I don't read many YA books (mostly just for challenges and buddy reads 😊.) So far this book is okay. Your observations about the MC's are good. I'm wondering why Finlay (view spoiler)

Caden - (view spoiler)

message 9: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I'll be reading this with whoever else is and I'm reading for points for Team Hermione Granger.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments SandyL wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Currently at 17%

Caden - [spoilers removed]Finlay - Well, she is definitely reeling from grief, guilt, and shame. My heart hurts for her. "

Hi Morgan
I don't read many YA books (mo..."

I think this book would be considered more so a New Adult Romance book. I'm not sure I would want my teenager reading this one. Haha. It starts getting little hot and heavy further into the book.

I've now finished the book, so I don't want to give too much away. However, (view spoiler)

As far as Caden… (view spoiler)

I will say that this book made me CRY at one point! Haven't had a book make me cry in a long time, so that was refreshing. :)

How far along in the book are you Sandy?

SandyL | 4458 comments I'm at 25%. A couple of things I'm finding a bit hard to believe -
(view spoiler)

This is why I don't do a lot of buddy reads outside of challenges. 🙄 I over-analyze everything!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments SandyL wrote: "I'm at 25%. A couple of things I'm finding a bit hard to believe -
[spoilers removed]

This is why I don't do a lot of buddy reads outside of challenges. 🙄 I over-analyze everything!"

Haha. It's okay to overanalyze! I think that's part of the point of a buddy read, is being able to read with others and get new, fresh perspectives. It definitely helps me think of things in a way I wouldn't have otherwise. :)

I'm getting ready to help my daughter with a summer homework assignment and then I'll respond to your most recent spoiler! I really do hope you stick out the book. It gets better, I promise! :)

SandyL | 4458 comments I'm enjoying it okay - it's just these types of questions that pop into my head when I'm reading! :-)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Okay, finally got to read your spoiler and respond!

So.... (view spoiler)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments Joining in from Team Ginny Weasley.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maritza wrote: "Joining in from Team Ginny Weasley."

Yay!! I really hope you like this one. Is it still free on Bookbub? On Amazon it's showing up as $2.99 now. :(

SandyL | 4458 comments I found it on Overdrive

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Oh perfect! I got mine for free last week on BookBub. If you don't use BookBub, it's an amazing website that emails you free book deals everyday! Love it!!!

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments Grady is either a deep down good guy with problems or a self entitled jerk. Im hoping he is just misunderstood.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maritza wrote: "Grady is either a deep down good guy with problems or a self entitled jerk. Im hoping he is just misunderstood."

Haha, I know, right?! Oddly, maybe I'm just a weirdo, I liked Grady. Yes, he's definitely a jerk and demeaning to women to a point, but there was something about him that seemed sad and, just like you mentioned, misunderstood. I bet deep down he's just a big, sensitive, cuddly teddy bear! LOL!

SandyL | 4458 comments Maritza wrote: "Grady is either a deep down good guy with problems or a self entitled jerk. Im hoping he is just misunderstood."

He's living up to the stereotype of BMOC. Didn't even admit to Finlay he had a big ego and it was required for athletes or something like that?

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments Finished ch 9 - thoughts --- i've never lost someone so close to me so i can't speak to her grief but she needs to live her life for herself and not the memory of her brother. Caden, to me, does not know what he wants and needs to let go of his girlfriend and pull his team together.

SandyL | 4458 comments I've finally finished.

@Martiza - I agree with you! Why anyone would think Finlay (view spoiler)

So overall, this book was just okay for me. It felt kind-of like a first novel so I was surprised the author had a number of other books already published.

SandyL | 4458 comments Morgan wrote: "Maritza wrote: "Grady is either a deep down good guy with problems or a self entitled jerk. Im hoping he is just misunderstood."

Haha, I know, right?! Oddly, maybe I'm just a weirdo, I liked Grady..."

Grady never grew on me - (view spoiler)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments Halfway through and am really enjoying the book. We finally get an inkling if what happened to her brother. Still on the fence about Caden. I like him but am weary at the same time.

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments SandyL wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Maritza wrote: "Grady is either a deep down good guy with problems or a self entitled jerk. Im hoping he is just misunderstood."

Haha, I know, right?! Oddly, maybe I'm just a weirdo..."

Okay just finished and really enjoyed the whole thing. Poor Cole. I wish we would have gotten to see more of him.
Grady turned out to be not so bad.
Glad Finlay got closure through the letter.
Caden was both funny and fustrating.

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments Morgan wrote: "Okay, finally got to read your spoiler and respond!

So.... I agree and I can be a bit of a cynist when I read these books too, but they tend to "get" me about 50% of the way in and then I'm invest..."

I thought the author gave Finlay too much 'power' kind of forcing us to love her. She was able to do everyting amidst her sorrow. Somehow i did not like her as much as i thought i would. The story was forced for me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

For Finlay (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J. Nathan (other topics)