Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Wonder (Wonder, #1)
This topic is about Wonder
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Palacio, R.J- Wonder informal buddy read starts July 4, 2018

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Wonder by R.J. Palacio.

Synopsis
August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie’s point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community’s struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 28, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Vicki (last edited Jul 05, 2018 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments I'm so glad that a list was posted of BR's! I've been wanting to read this one FOREVER! I'll be reading for points for Team Hermione Granger. :)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments I'm in for Team Ginny Weasley. I have to wait a few days to start this unfortunately, but I'm SO excited. I've been wanting to read it for so long. I haven't seen the movie, because I want to read the book first.

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments How are people going with the book?

I found it interesting as I had already seen the movie that in the very beginning he doesn't describe what he looks like. This means that the movie has a bit of a different feel because obviously we can see him.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Elize wrote: "How are people going with the book?

I found it interesting as I had already seen the movie that in the very beginning he doesn't describe what he looks like. This means that the movie has a bit of..."

I have to admit I cried a couple of times when I read the book in Feb/March. I really liked the book, but why do authors have to (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Just started this one for Team Ginny Weasley! I've been wanting to read this one for the longest time, so I'm very excited to get into this book. Can't wait to read with y'all! :)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Currently at 15%

Overall Book (thus far) - (view spoiler)

August - (view spoiler).

Very excited to see what happens throughout the rest of this book!!! :D

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Elize wrote: "How are people going with the book?

I found it interesting as I had already seen the movie that in the very beginning he doesn't describe what he looks like. This means that the movie has a bit of..."

I haven't seen the movie yet, though I'm dying to see it. I much prefer reading the book prior to seeing the movie, if at all possible, so I made sure to wait to read this one. Was the movie good? Did it live up to the book? I hope so! I hate getting disappointed, but I heard it got really good reviews!

message 11: by Maddy (last edited Jul 10, 2018 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maddy | 2127 comments Omg, only now noticed that this is a buddy read! I have been meaning to read it Forever! I wanted to watch the movie, but then wanted to read the book first and then I just got swamped with RL and forgot :( I will start in a few days I guess - need to find my buried copy :)

Oh right, forgot...Team Minerva McGonagall

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maddy wrote: "Omg, only now noticed that this is a buddy read! I have been meaning to read it Forever! I wanted to watch the movie, but then wanted to read the book first and then I just got swamped with RL and ..."

Yay!!!! Read with me! I can't wait to watch the movie, now that I'm finally getting around to reading the book. Haha.

Maddy | 2127 comments Morgan wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Omg, only now noticed that this is a buddy read! I have been meaning to read it Forever! I wanted to watch the movie, but then wanted to read the book first and then I just got swampe..."

On it! Let's finish the book and then watch the movie so we can "ohhh" and "ahhhh" about it? :D
Do you have a reading schedule for this? I want to finish "IT" by Stephen King first, but I will definitely start this before the week ends :)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maddy wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Omg, only now noticed that this is a buddy read! I have been meaning to read it Forever! I wanted to watch the movie, but then wanted to read the book first and then I ..."

I'm on about 15% right now. But even if I finish before you, I'm still totally down to keep chatting about it, because so far, it's REALLY GOOD!

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Morgan wrote: "Elize wrote: "How are people going with the book?

I found it interesting as I had already seen the movie that in the very beginning he doesn't describe what he looks like. This means that the movi..."

Yes I am the same! I hardly ever watch the movie first but it was free on the plane so I decided to go for it as I had finished my book I brought to read on the flight :P

I did really enjoy the movie but I always love how books provide more depth and emotion and allow you to go into each characters head. Would definitely recommend watching it after you read it :)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Elize wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Elize wrote: "How are people going with the book?

I found it interesting as I had already seen the movie that in the very beginning he doesn't describe what he looks like. This mean..."

I'm really glad I started with the book first, but I will say, due to the nature of the book, I'm kind of glad that a movie was made before I started reading it. Obviously, like I mentioned, I haven't seen the movie. However, I've seen the trailers and stuff, so I've been able to see an adaptation of what they envision Auggie to look like, which is helpful when reading the book. They describe his character very well, but it's still difficult to envision, you know? So being able to google the character and see the adaptation is helpful when reading, in my opinion.

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Currently at 60%

Auggie - (view spoiler)

Summer - (view spoiler)

Jack Will - (view spoiler)

Julian - Julian is a butthead and I strongly dislike him. His parents need to teach him how to be a human being, but clearly, as Auggie's mom says, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." What happened to humanity? That is all.

message 18: by Vicki (last edited Jul 11, 2018 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments I just checked this thread a couple days ago and no one had started, but now some of you are almost done. LOL I'll go ahead and start it today then.

I saw the movie but never read the book. LOL

Maddy | 2127 comments Vicki wrote: "I just checked this thread a couple days ago and no one had started, but now some of you are almost done. LOL I'll go ahead and start it today then.

I saw the movie but never read the book. LOL"

I haven't started yet :D

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maddy wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I just checked this thread a couple days ago and no one had started, but now some of you are almost done. LOL I'll go ahead and start it today then.

I saw the movie but never read th..."

Best gif EVER!!!! LOL! I used to love this show! :D

Maddy | 2127 comments Morgan wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I just checked this thread a couple days ago and no one had started, but now some of you are almost done. LOL I'll go ahead and start it today then.

I saw the movie but..."

What do you mean - used to. I still love it :D

SandyL | 4459 comments I'm just getting started as well. I have never seen the movie (I don't even remember hearing about it!)

Maddy | 2127 comments It is a very recent movie comparatively... It has Julia Roberts in it 😄

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maddy wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I just checked this thread a couple days ago and no one had started, but now some of you are almost done. LOL I'll go ahead and start it today then.

I sa..."

Haha, Fuller House is pretty amazing too. :)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments How is the movie Maddy? Worth all the hype? I'm really excited to watch it now that I've finally finished the book. It was a really good book. I was hoping the ending would elaborate more or ending differently, but I still think it was a really thought provoking, emotional read.

Maddy | 2127 comments I have only seen some sneak peaks and trailers. I want to read the book first too 😊

SandyL | 4459 comments I'm up to Summer's part of the book. It's interesting how the book is divided up into different character's POV's.

August - (view spoiler)

Via - (view spoiler)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments I love how much depth this book has. The different POV's really adds to it as I would have never considered Via's POV.

SandyL | 4459 comments Morgan wrote: "Currently at 60%

Auggie - [spoilers removed]
Summer - [spoilers removed]
Jack Will - [spoilers removed]
Julian - Julian is a ..."

I agree with what you wrote about these characters, Morgan. Auggie was (view spoiler)

Summer and Jack (view spoiler)

Julian (view spoiler)

Maddy | 2127 comments Yay! I started :)

Auggie is so sweet and endearing! I am only in the beginning and he is not going to school yet, but I can already feel how they are going to try to crush him. He is too sweet for school, the bullies will pounce on him, aren't they? I love how he said (view spoiler)

message 31: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments I'm just now starting this! I've wanted to read this for aaaaages but was never motivated enough to actually pick it up... I guess this buddy read is the push I needed 😉

Maddy | 2127 comments Judy wrote: "I'm just now starting this! I've wanted to read this for aaaaages but was never motivated enough to actually pick it up... I guess this buddy read is the push I needed 😉"

We all need a push it seems... It has been on my tbr for two years. Two years! And I am only now reading it. But at least my tbr is slooooowly decreasing :D

message 33: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments 29%

I'm really, really enjoying this book. I love August so much, he's just precious. And now I'm really interested in the other perspectives we'll get - I didn't know it had more than Auggie's!

message 34: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments 39%

My cry count is up to 3 by now, I'm honestly not very surprised. I'm really enjoying the writing style as well - it's so chatty and reading it just sounds like someone is telling me this story.

SandyL | 4459 comments Maddy wrote: "Yay! I started :)

Auggie is so sweet and endearing! I am only in the beIginning and he is not going to school yet, but I can already feel how they are going to try to crush him. He is too sweet fo..."

It must have been so hard for his parents to make the decision to send him to school, knowing what he might go through.

SandyL | 4459 comments Judy wrote: "39%

My cry count is up to 3 by now, I'm honestly not very surprised. I'm really enjoying the writing style as well - it's so chatty and reading it just sounds like someone is telling me this story."

I liked the writing style, too. At first I was a bit confused because the chapters seemed so short and sort-of random, but it really grew on me and kept me interested in the story.

SandyL | 4459 comments I've finished and I loved this book!

Auggie was so inspirational! It was sad about the (view spoiler)

A lot happens in the last third of the book - (view spoiler)

One of my favorite things about the book were Mr. Browne's Precepts. They sure are something our world could use right now!

message 38: by Maddy (last edited Jul 17, 2018 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maddy | 2127 comments SandyL wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Yay! I started :)

Auggie is so sweet and endearing! I am only in the beIginning and he is not going to school yet, but I can already feel how they are going to try to crush him. He ..."

I imagine it was. But I get their point - they cannot hide him at home all the time, he has to adapt to the world and get some independence, social skills and whatnot. If they keep protecting him and keeping him hidden, he wouldn't fit into society at all.

message 39: by Maddy (last edited Jul 17, 2018 01:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maddy | 2127 comments I am about 24% in
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Morgan wrote: "Currently at 60%

Auggie - [spoilers removed]Summer - [spoilers removed]Jack Will - [spoilers removed]Julian - Julian is a butthead and I strongly dislike him. His parents need to teach him how to ..."

Completely agree with everything! Though I think it's too late for Julian - his parents seem even worse than he is... 😖 why do some people just think it's their duty to go out of their way to be assholes... but enough of that negative stuff - I absolutely love Summer! She is so nice and chill.

message 41: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments 79%

I love Auggie so much. In a way, he grew up so protected from the "real world", but he is still self-aware and good at reading people to figure out what's actually going on. He still has a strong tendency to overreact but oh well, I can't really judge him for that (and he still has lots of time to figure that out).

message 42: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Finished! I'm so happy I read this, it was such a wonderful story that gave me so much to laugh (and cry) about.

Maddy | 2127 comments Yay! I finished! This will sound bad, but I am glad (view spoiler) It is a wonderful book and I really would suggest everyone read it :)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Maddy wrote: "Yay! I finished! This will sound bad, but I am glad the bad situation at the camp happened, because people actually stood up for Auggie and became kinder to him. They realized how ugly it is when l..."

I couldn't agree more, Maddy. It really (view spoiler)

message 45: by Maddy (last edited Jul 21, 2018 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maddy | 2127 comments Morgan wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Yay! I finished! This will sound bad, but I am glad the bad situation at the camp happened, because people actually stood up for Auggie and became kinder to him. They realized how ugl..."

Yes! It was a really hopeful ending! And you know, the precept Julian sent to the teacher during the summer (view spoiler) also gave me hope that he can change and become a better person :)

message 46: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 2151 comments Maddy wrote: "Yay! I finished! This will sound bad, but I am glad the bad situation at the camp happened, because people actually stood up for Auggie and became kinder to him. They realized how ugly it is when l..."

I completely agree as well! (And to be honest, I was expecting The Thing That Would Inevitably Happen to be much worse than what it turned out to be...)

Maddy | 2127 comments Judy wrote: "Maddy wrote: "Yay! I finished! This will sound bad, but I am glad the bad situation at the camp happened, because people actually stood up for Auggie and became kinder to him. They realized how ugl..."

Well it was still bad, but I also thought it would be more internal, not external, if you know what I mean. But I am happy that he got a HAE :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wonder (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

R.J. Palacio (other topics)