Start by marking “Wonder” as Want to Read:
Wonder

Wonder (Wonder #1)

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  465,092 Ratings  ·  51,592 Reviews
I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.

August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. WONDER,
Hardcover, Books for Young Readers, 316 pages
Published February 14th 2012 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Wonder, please sign up.

Kyle Parnell bash you head against the book intill you break the cover
Dany You may feel that this book teaches children not to judge books by covers, but, I felt that it teaches children bad lessons. Auggie got special…moreYou may feel that this book teaches children not to judge books by covers, but, I felt that it teaches children bad lessons. Auggie got special treatment, and was given a medal just for, basically, being disabled. That tells people that disabled/handicapped people are special and different, and should be treated this way. When, in reality, disabled/handicapped people are normal, and shouldn't be given awards for no reason.

"Wonder" also teaches children that, if somebody is a bully, they deserve every shred of hate that is possible for them to receive. Julian was berated mercilessly throughout this book, and Jack said that he would want to KILL HIMSELF if he were Julian!! First of all, why do we want our children to think that it's fine to joke about suicide? And why do we want our children to think that bullies deserve to die? Also, why wasn't Julian forgiven, and why didn't he get his own point of view? And why was it okay for Jack to punch Julian in the face? IS THIS SERIOUSLY WHAT YOU WANT THE YOUTH OF THE NATION TO BE READING?!?!!?!

By the way, my favorite character was Julian. He was the one I could sympathize with the most. If somebody said that they would kill themselves if they were me, and then LAUGHED about it, I would be devastated. (less)
Wonder by R.J. PalacioThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine ApplegateThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenLiar & Spy by Rebecca SteadThe Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine
Newbery 2013
121 books — 1,275 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenInsurgent by Veronica RothGone Girl by Gillian FlynnCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClarePandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books of 2012
3,327 books — 9,464 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Suicide Notes, A Monster Calls...pretty much anyone with a beating heart
Wonder is one of those rare books that makes you want to hug everyone in it so tightly that they’ll have no doubt about how much you love them…and beyond that, it also makes you want to reach out and hug the whole world. It’s an upbeat, humorous, life-affirming story that deserves to be read—and it’s one that may just change its readers, too.

If you remember how terrifying it was to be a kid on a day to day basis, you’ll appreciate August’s story. 10-year-old Auggie is going to school for the fir
Rick Riordan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ye gods, what a wonderful book! I don't read a lot of realistic middle grade fiction. I tend to gravitate toward fantasy. But this is probably the best such book I've read since Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

The main character August (Auggie) Pullman is a ten-year-old boy with severe facial abnormalities. Little kids scream when they see him. Older kids make fun of him and call him a freak. Auggie is home-schooled through grade four, but for middle school his p
Zoë
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch my review & discussion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txeTr...

What a WONDERful first book of the year! I read this book almost too quickly, I wanted it to last longer. This might be technically a children's book, but it really was such a special and meaningful read and I highly recommend that everyone read this once in their lives!
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Personally, I prefer my ARC cover. You like? :)

[image error]Photobucket

August has always known that he's different. But he's learned to long accept that people will always stare at his face, and there's nothing he can do about it. So why not just live life the best way possible? With a loving family always by his side, although originally not at all happy about starting school, he soon starts to warm to the idea. Having been home-schooled for many years he is now more vulnerable than ever.

Like any person t
Catie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
I feel like I want to attach a giant asterisk to those two stars up there:

*I acknowledge that this opinion will not be shared by 90% or more of readers.

I know that most everyone is going to love this book: it’s a very sweet, heartwarming story. And on top of that – it’s well written and flows really nicely. I finished it in one afternoon. For a really well thought-out, positive review I would read Flannery’s. If you insist on staying here – be prepared for dissent and lot of middle-school remi
Raeleen Lemay
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"You really are a wonder, Auggie. You are a wonder."

I've read this book twice now, and it will definitely always have a special place in my heart. This is a book that makes me laugh, makes me cry, and gives me endless amounts of hope. I love this book, and will probably be giving out copies to my friends and family this Christmas.

first read in May 2013
Elyse
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Update: Saw the 10am movie this morning. Paul bought our tickets --while I covered my face with my hat until we got to our seats in the dark theater. I have a small surgery this coming Monday in the doctor's office on my nose (thank heavens for the numbing prescription cream) >> before the shots and knife come at me....
Then the bigger surgery, Nov. 29th, at the hospital, --so I wanted to see this film (escape from hiding inside my home) --as my inspiration --before more cutting on my face!
Candace
Wow! I am so glad that I finally got around to listening to this story. 'Wonder' had been sitting on my TBR list for a really long time, but I had been waiting for a time to listen to it with my daughters. That time finally arrived last weekend, when we had to spend a full day in the car on a trip.

I had read many great reviews for this book, so I had really high hopes going into it. In fact, I was worried that I would be disappointed, as I often am with a book that is surrounded by so much hype.
Nicholas Sparks
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read for all ages.
Janina
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel a bit like a cold-hearted snob for giving this book two stars. I am not saying that it isn't an uplifting story definitely worth being told (and read), but I can't deny that there were a few aspects I had problems with and that the story didn't trigger the emotional reaction I expected it to.

Wonder is the story of August Pullman's first year at school. Auggie is a ten-year-old boy born with a facial anomaly that has required him to undergo countless operations and made him an outsider wit
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Rachel Reads Ravenously
I hate reviewing books that I'm crazy about. I never can get across how wonderful they are. This is one of those books.

Sorry Christina. Words do hurt.

The universe has not been kind to Auggie Pullman. He was born with facial deformities. He has had multiple surgeries but he still gets people stopping when they see him and ugly remarks made about him.

He had been homeschooled up until the fifth grade due to his many recoveries from the surgeries and I think to protect him from other people. His
Emily May
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2012

It would be pretty impossible to properly review this book without getting just a touch spoilery. I think I could actually sum up rather succinctly what it was that made this book only get three stars from me, and also what I'm sure will be many readers' deciding factor as to whether they will love it or not. Basically, you should love this novel if you like stories that end with this:

(view spoiler)
Kai
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing

A normal boy, with an unusual face, starting school for the first time in his life.
August was born with facial abnormalities, went through lots of operations, but his face still looks far from normal. Now he's about to start middle school, and because he's been homeschooled by his mom ever since, he's both scared and excited.

This book. It's Amazing.
While sometimes sad and shocki
Flannery
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Flannery by: Wendy Darling
August Pullman burrowed under my skin and punched me in my tear ducts pretty early on in this book. Maybe it was his Star Wars obsession, or his sense of humor, or his general spirit that captured me but it was probably all three—and so much more. As a kid with craniofacial abnormalities, he's heard it all, all the awful names kids (and adults) can come up with. He's seen all the horrified looks. Until this year, though, he'd never been to school. Wonder follows Auggie as he starts his year unti ...more
F
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-pdf, 2013, usa
Loved this book so much!

I loved Auggie.

Cant wait to see the film
Megan Johnson
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming tomorrow!!! BE ON THE LOOK OUT 😃😃😃

It has taken me a few days to get to this review because I needed to process this book fully.

August is the main character in this book and he has an abnormal face. For 2 years Auggie wore an Astronauts helmet so that no one would be able to see his face. It's not like kind of face that only a mother could love, in fact it's the kind of face that everyone loves. Auggie is a very special personal and someone that many people should look up to.

Auggi
Thomas
Yes. Yes. Yes. Wonder is one of those books that just makes me want to say... Yes.

"I wish every day could be Halloween. We could all wear masks all the time. Then we could walk around and get to know each other before we got to see what we looked like under the masks."

We've all been bullied before. Criticized or cast aside because of how we talk, what we wear, or who we hang out with. But I doubt that many of us have experienced anything like what August Pullman went through. Ten-year-old Auggie
Natasha Polis
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super charming! Love this story. CHOOSE KINDNESS!
Alex Farrand
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, ya
This book is wonderful. I am very glad to have read this novel. I started reading this out loud to my daughter, but she wasn't having it. I plan to read this to her when she is older, because of her father.

Story time: Once upon a time there was this man named Lance Corporal Cracknell. His platoon or battalion (not sure which it was) was stationed out in Afghanistan and they were doing their daily hump. While walking, third in line, he steps on an explosive. KABOOM. Luckily, he didn't die, becaus
Josu Grilli
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-2-octubre
Madre mía. Llevaba tiempo sin leer un libro tan rápido. Ha durado menos de un día en mis manos.

Wonder. La lección de August es un libro que tenía pendiente de leer desde hace bastantes años. La gente no paraba de recomendármelo, pero no soy muy fan de las historias que siento que están hechas para que me emocione. Sin embargo, leí la primera página y ya estuve introducido en la historia. La manera de narrar de RJ Palacio es espectacular.

Uno de los motivos que me han llevado a leer esta novela, a
Maddie

5 Wonder stars
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

🌟Recommended for all ages and lovers of Young Adult🌟

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Doctors have come from distant cities just to see me stand over my bed disbelieving what they’re seeing

They say I must be one of the wonders of god’s own creation and as far as they can see they can offer no explanation —

NATALIE MERCHANT, “Wonder"

🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

ORDINARY!

I know I’m not an ordinary ten-year-old kid. I mean, sure, I do ordinary things.
I eat ice cream. I ride my bike. I play ball. I have an XBox.

Stuff
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-lengths, 2018
"If every single person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary—the world really would be a better place."
Hear me out, people of Earth!! You just need to read this book! Like right now! *Look who's sayin' this. One who was also delaying in reading this precious gem.*
Okay, I am confessing. I didn't read this book after pure desire. No! Fortunately, It got selected in our buddy read in Pakistani Readers group. A
James Trevino
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was something special.

I’ve seen this book on Instagram for so long and I usually shy away from titles this overhyped, but the hype was right for once!

WONDER is the story August Pullman (or Auggie), a little boy facing a rare disease that causes facial deformity and his Journey through school and life in general. Is also the story of the people around him and of their way of living with Auggie and that is probably what makes it so heartfelt.

WONDER is also a work to learn from. I feel its pur
Luffy
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went in expecting sadness, misery, bleakness, joylessness, in the book. I can understand the popularity of the book. I got caught unawares. This is a book that can be recommended to everybody. There is a lot of joie de vivre present.

This love of life is imbued in the short and fragile chapters of the book. There is a lesson present in most chapters, but I chose to read it as a thriller, instead of a fable. I really dreaded something horrible would happen to August.

Instead we get a light-toned
Angela M
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been meaning to read this book for a while. I recently saw the movie, which I thought was so well done, but I wish I had read the book first . Even though the movie was pretty true to the book with a few minor differences, the problem with seeing the movie first is that as I read the book I saw the actors rather than imagining them as the author wrote them. Because the movie was so true to the book, I almost felt at times as if I’d already read it. Having said that, I’m still very glad I re ...more
Hannah Greendale
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Ten-year-old August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a rare facial deformity. He’s had twenty-seven surgeries on his face and has always been homeschooled – until now. This year, Auggie is being mainstreamed and will enter fifth grade at Beecher Prep. Fitting in is hard enough when you’re the new kid, but Auggie will have to work extra hard to get his classmates to look past his extraordinary face.

If I found a magic lamp and I could have one wish, I would wish that I had a normal face that no one
Lola  Reviewer
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My former high school librarian recommended this book to me when it came out. I should have read it then. Always trust a librarian.

This is an impossible book to dislike. It’s so full of human emotions – kindness, love, courage, determination, fear – and so full of beautiful messages.

August Pullman is a wonderful boy. Not retarded. He functions normally and is pretty smart. But he is facially deformed, which makes it psychologically challenging for him to go out, let alone attend school.

But his
Cheri
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book, 2018
”the only reason I’m not ordinary is that no one else sees me that way.”

August Pullman has seen more, been through more at the somewhat tender age of ten than most people go through in an entire lifetime. Twenty-seven surgeries, surgeries to correct craniofacial deviations from what is considered normal, and yet strangers still gawk, people are rude and hurtful. Most of his life has been fairly sheltered, but soon he is about to face the challenge of attending schools, with other kids his age.
Lala BooksandLala
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind."
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Shelby, Melissa Martin and Paige
“Everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives because we all overcometh the world.” -Auggie Pullman

August Pullman or “Auggie” is a young boy most unlike any normal kid. There is no easy way to say it. He was born with facial abnormality. Auggie said it himself in the beginning of the story. It’s hard to describe what he looks like because it’s probably worse than whatever we might be thinking. Auggie has won my heart right there at the first page of the b
  • Absolutely Almost
  • The Lions of Little Rock
  • Okay for Now
  • Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • See You at Harry's
  • Starry River of the Sky
  • Almost Home
R.J. Palacio lives in NYC with her husband, two sons, and two dogs. For more than twenty years, she was an art director and graphic designer, designing book jackets for other people while waiting for the perfect time in her life to start writing her own novel. But one day several years ago, a chance encounter with an extraordinary child in front of an ice cream store made R. J. realize that the pe ...more
More about R.J. Palacio...
24 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.” 2256 likes
“Kinder than is necessary. Because it's not enough to be kind. One should be kinder than needed.” 1578 likes