Fantasy Readathon: #becausedragonsRAT discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Round 5 > Reading Updates!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments This is the thread for any and all reading updates!

Share your TBRs. Share your reading progress throughout the 'thon. Let us know what fantasies you're ABSOLUTELY loving.

message 2: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Woohoo! I can not wait for this. It's my Birthday week and I am going on a cruise for the last two days but am still hoping to participate as much as I can.

My tentative tbr:

1. Read a fantasy with red on the cover - Bright Ruin (Dark Gifts #3) by Vic James

2. Read a fantasy based on a mythology you're unfamiliar with - The Isle of Gold by Seven Jane

3. Read a fantasy with a strong friendship - A Jigsaw of Fire and Stars by Yaba Badoe

4. Read the last fantasy book you acquired - The Isle of Gold by Seven Jane

5. Read a fantasy with dragons - A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin (I guess its the series that technically has dragons in, rather than this book in particular, but I hope this still counts!)

message 3: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Dannii wrote: "Woohoo! I can not wait for this. It's my Birthday week and I am going on a cruise for the last two days but am still hoping to participate as much as I can.

My tentative tbr:

1. Read a fantasy wi..."

Ooh, lots of books that I am not familiar with! Except A Game of Thrones... if it's like the tv show, it will at least have dragon eggs in it :)

message 4: by Hailee (last edited Jun 24, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Hailee | 10 comments This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but the two books I am focusing could also fit a couple of these prompts so I hope its ok to try and take part in both readathons.

Based on a mythology that you are unfamiliar with: A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings #1) by Kevin Hearne (full of a mixed bag of different mythologies).

Strong friendship: Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) by Michael J. Sullivan (this book is famous for the epic bromance between Royce and Hadrian).

message 5: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Hailee wrote: "This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but the two books I am focusing co..."

No worries! The challenges are just a suggestion for those that like those kinds of challenges! I'm also participating in the tometopple (I have so many huge fantasies to choose from!). Hope you enjoy :)

message 6: by Viviana (new)

Viviana Almendra Rehbein (ushio) | 7 comments I'm so happy wake up and discover another marathon 😄.
Now I'm looking in my bookshelf the books that I need.

message 7: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) CallMeSensei wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Woohoo! I can not wait for this. It's my Birthday week and I am going on a cruise for the last two days but am still hoping to participate as much as I can.

My tentative tbr:

1. Re..."

GoT is a reread for me but I'm hoping to not get intimidated this time and continue on with the series. They do have dragon eggs in and dragon skeletons, if I remember rightly. Kinda still bending the rules but I'm going to go with it ;)

message 8: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Hailee wrote: "This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but the two books I am focusing co..."

I am so eager to read both of these books. Good luck!

message 9: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 10 comments Dannii wrote: "Hailee wrote: "This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but the two books I..."

Thanks, you to. I hope you enjoy Bright Ruin, now that the trilogy is complete I'm hoping to start it soon myself.

message 10: by Sarahjane (new)

Sarahjane (dropoutdaisy) Pumped for this readathon, yo. I put my full explanations on my blog and I'm almost confident in myself that I can finish all three next week.

Challenges 1 & 3: Kiki's Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono

Challenges 2 & 4: Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente

Challenge 5: Emperor Mage by Tamora Pierce

message 11: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Sarahjane wrote: "Pumped for this readathon, yo. I put my full explanations on my blog and I'm almost confident in myself that I can finish all three next week.

Challenges 1 & 3: Kiki's Delivery Service by Eiko Kad..."

I LOVE Kiki's :D Hope you manage to read ALL of the things.

message 12: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Hailee wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Hailee wrote: "This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but ..."

I liked the first book but LOVED the second so I ave high hopes for this one!

message 13: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Morrison (chelsealouise07) My tentative TBR:

-red on cover: Stormdancer
-mythology you're unfamiliar with (technically more of a religious studies retelling and less a fantasy novel, but I literally only have Greek-based fantasies and I'm too familiar with Greek mythology for that to count): Gods, Demons, and Others
-strong friendship: Magic Steps
-last fantasy acquired: Three Dark Crowns
-dragons (one of my childhood favorites!): Dragon Rider

Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff Gods, Demons, and Others by R.K. Narayan Magic Steps (The Circle Opens, #1) by Tamora Pierce Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1) by Kendare Blake Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

message 14: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Chelsea wrote: "My tentative TBR:

-red on cover: Stormdancer
-mythology you're unfamiliar with (technically more of a religious studies retelling and less a fantasy novel, but I literally only ha..."

Oh, I have Stormdancer on my shelves... you'll have to tell me what you think of it!

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (curmudgeoninflannel) | 2 comments 1. Read a fantasy with red on the cover AND

2. Read a fantasy based on a mythology you're unfamiliar with - Prophecy

3. Read a fantasy with a strong friendship - Truthwitch

4. Read the last fantasy book you acquired - Sky in the Deep

5. Read a fantasy with dragons - The Last Namsara

message 16: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Amanda wrote: "1. Read a fantasy with red on the cover AND

2. Read a fantasy based on a mythology you're unfamiliar with - Prophecy

3. Read a fantasy with a strong friendship - [book:Truthwitch|..."

Oooh! I love the Truthwitch series. And I've been wanting to read The Last Namsara as well.... you'll have to tell me how you like it!

message 17: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (curmudgeoninflannel) | 2 comments Oooh! I love the Truthwitch series. And I've been wanting to read The Last Namsara as well.... you'll have to tell me how you like it!

My sister recommended Truthwitch because I loved the Truth-Teller's Tale! So I'm pretty stoked to read it. :D And I'll definitely update you on the Last Namsara! :D

message 18: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (hatterell) | 2 comments Hailee wrote: "This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but the two books I am focusing co..."

Theft of Swords is excellent!

message 19: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 10 comments hatterell wrote: "Hailee wrote: "This falls in the middle of the Tome Topple which I am also planning to take part in so I'll be reading big books and won't have time to fulfil all the challenges but the two books I..."

Yeah I agree. I've read 140 pages so far and i'm really looking forward to getting to more!

message 20: by Viviana (new)

Viviana Almendra Rehbein (ushio) | 7 comments 2/5 in one day

message 21: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Viviana wrote: "2/5 in one day"

That's amazing progress!

message 22: by Hailee (last edited Jul 07, 2018 06:54PM) (new)

Hailee | 10 comments This will be the comment where I keep track of my reading progress:

Day 1: 1/7/18
Read 89 pages of A Plague of Giants

Day 2: 2/7/18
Read 93 pages of A Plague of Giants

Day 3: 3/7/18
Read 76 pages of A Plague of Giants

Day 4: 4/7/18
Read 60 pages of A Plague of Giants (completed)
Read 63 pages of Theft of Swords

Day 5: 5/7/18
Read 110 pages of Theft of Swords

Day 6: 6/7/18
Read 45 pages of Theft of Swords

Day 7: 7/7/18
Read 138 pages of Theft of Swords

Total read: 674 pages

message 23: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Viviana wrote: "2/5 in one day"

WOW! :D

message 24: by Viviana (new)

Viviana Almendra Rehbein (ushio) | 7 comments 3 1/2 of 5. I really wosh still with my good luck

message 25: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 10 comments My progress report on how much I read is now complete you can see it in message 22.

Thanks for hosting @CallMeSensei I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next round 😊

message 26: by CallMeSensei (new)

CallMeSensei | 49 comments Hailee wrote: "My progress report on how much I read is now complete you can see it in message 22.

Thanks for hosting @CallMeSensei I had a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next round 😊"

Yay! I'm glad you fun :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.