Start by marking “Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)” as Want to Read:
Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)

Emperor Mage

(The Immortals #3)

Sent to Carthak as part of the Tortallan peace delegation, Daine finds herself in the middle of a sticky political situation. She doesn't like the Carthaki practice of keeping slaves, but it's not her place to say anything -- she's just there to heal the emperor's birds. It's extremely frustrating! What's more, her power has grown in a mysterious way.
As the peace talks s
Published June 1st 2005 by Simon Pulse (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Emperor Mage, please sign up.
Cassandra genre: fantasy, adventure?

genre: fantasy, adventure?

Protagonist: she's determined, fairly quiet (to humans) but can be stubborn when she gets worked up.(less)
Grace S. I wouldn't. Emperor Mage is Book Thee of a four-book series, you'd know what was going on a lot better if you started at the beginning.

Start your review of Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Last month I read Tempests and Slaughter, Tamora Pierce's prequel book about the mage Numair's younger days, studying magic at a Carthak university. I handed that one off to my 15 year old son, who read it and then promptly went to his school library and checked out the entire IMMORTALS series. When he brought Emperor Mage home the other day, I snagged it from him when he was finished so that I could remind myself of what happened with Prince Orzorne, the lovely Varice, and other Carthaki charac ...more
Dannii Elle
This is the third instalment in the Wild Magic series, and, like the previous two books, the reader follows Daine as she traverses the rocky political terrain of Tortall and continues to learn and to hone her wild magic skill.

What differs in this book, however, is the setting. Daine ventures further afield to bordering Carthak, on a mission to end the disquiet between the two kingdoms. But what she finds when she gets there is an enemy she never thought she would ever encounter.

Whilst not my fav
Kogiopsis
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've been doing some thinking and have come to a conclusion that, I suppose, should have been obvious a long time ago: I connect to Tamora Pierce's characters better than I connect to pretty much any other characters. They get under my skin, in my blood, into my heart; I see through their eyes so easily it astounds me. I've read this series more times than I can remember, but I still feel the same intensity that I recall from the first time - and the last few chapters of this book still have a h ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Now, THAT'S more like it! Major major redemption for the yawnfest that was book 2. In Emperor Mage, Daine gets to pretend she's actually a girl sent from a royal envoy as diplomats into a foreign land instead of a girl who wants to be an animal and surrounded by animals all the time. Human interactions are awesome, and I'm so glad Daine isn't just talking and plotting with animals all the time now, and that she's actually solving a decent mystery and dealing with major international intrigue. It ...more
Grace
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Third book into this series and I am still loving
It; it was a great read.
Daine found herself in a region where even the gods were angry with the dictator, ruler and emperor of the land.
The emperor was a megalomaniac, drunk on power and ambition. He was cunning, charming, and lure people to fuel his ambitions. He thrives on the suffering of his people, kept slaves and made them mute 🤐. His ambition and cunningness, one of his greatest strength, and his source of evilness became his downfall.
One
Beth
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm giving this four stars because this stands in stark contrast to the previous two books, but all the same: I really did enjoy this, and it definitely holds up as my favorite of the Daine books. POLITICS. I LOVE THE POLITICS.

That said, I have notes.

1. Who sends Alanna, she of the infamous temper, to a notoriously volatile empire as a diplomat? Doesn't that sound... stupid? I love Alanna, but I don't think Carthak is the right place for her. Which is seen, by the way, when the emperor de
Jackie
UGGGGH YOU GUYSSSS /whine. This is actually both my favourite book in this series and the one that gives me the most "problematic!" vibes. I wish I could nut out this problem. Basically what I love about it is the evocation of Carthak, a city/country I wish Tamora Pierce would write more about, because it's a fascinating amalgam of Carthage and Rome and probably a whole bunch of other classical civs I don't know about. Wasn't Pierce meant to write that book about Numair's younger years at the un ...more
Catie
Aaaaand, we’re back. Everything that I felt was lacking in the second book (eg, my interest) was revived completely in this book. Daine is back in the land of the two-leggers and is facing the oft named but never before seen Emperor Mage Ozorne. And it turns out that Ozorne really shouldn’t have messed with our Daine. There’s a whole chapter called “Daine loses her temper” which I’m still grinning about.

Daine may seem cute with her crunchy granola, tree-hugging, “save the whales” exterior but
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to Harper Collins UK and NetGalley for a review copy of this book.

Emperor Mage is the third of Tamora Pierce’s Immortals Quartet. It opens with Daine, Numair, Alanna, and other nobles arriving in Carthak in their ship, where the older group, including Numair who has been given a pardon by his sworn enemy, Emperor Orzone of Carthak, and the titular Emperor Mage, for peace talks while Daine has been sent to cure Orzone’s birds (he is a bird lover) who are suffering a mysterious illness.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I still absolutely adore this book. Wild Magic is dear to me because it was my first book by Pierce, but Emperor Mage makes my heart soar every time. Zek, Kitten, Bonedancer, the hyenas, the Graveyard Hag, the reanimated dinosaur bones!, and hints of Numair's back story... the sumptuous surroundings and rot underneath... and finally some answers about Daine's father!
✨Skye✨
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ebook version of this from Netgalley. Thankyou to both the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read this! My review is still honest.

Faith restored in this series! I had a pretty good time in book 1, a bad time in book 2, and a great time in this one! I'm impressed and excited to read book 4.
Without spoiling this one, this series follows Daine, a young mage who has various cool, animal related powers. The country she lives in is experiencing conflict with a neighbouring c
Linaria
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy, dragons
I'm pretty sure at this point everyone has read this book, and if you haven't - you really should.

Daine is off to Cathark, along with a delegation from Tortall. Daine is to heal the emperor's birds while the delegation attempts to forge a peace treaty. As the talks press on, Daine discovers that there are plenty of things happening in Cathark that she doesn't agree with. There also appear to be some meddling gods unhappy with the situation.

I love the expanding of the universe. Getting out of Tor
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Daine, Numair and Alanna journey to Carthak, in the hope that if Daine can heal the Emperor Ozorne prized birds, it will help the peace process between Carthak and Tortall. However, Daine get mixed up in both political and religious situations as the Goddess, the Graveyard Hag, gives her a power which could ruin everything. This series has everything it has magic, action, romance and a story which draws you in and y
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Damnit I finished this book a while ago and guess what? The review fell to the wayside because I am a failure, lol. All you need to know is that this is a really good book, you get to see Daine lose her temper in the most bad ass way I've ever seen, lol, and this was even more interesting to read after having read Tempests and Slaughter!
Crystal Starr Light
A trip down South and a brush with death

Daine, her master, Numair, the King's Champion, Alanna, and other Tortall diplomats head to Carthak to try to negotiate peace and keep the two countries from war. Daine's mission is specifically to heal the Emperor Mage's beloved birds. But Daine sees an old slave woman who shouldn't be there and gets warnings from the Beaver God to stay away.

Let me preface this review with the note that I listened to this on audiobook and thus may grossly mispell the name
Livia Winata
IT WAS A YA FANTASY BUT WRITTEN LIKE A FABLE FOR CHILDREN,in a good way. THE ACTIONS WERE STUNNING!
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
I was finally in the mood and head space to dive back into the Immortals quartet and I'm glad I did. I don't know if it's because I was just ready to deal with all the talking animals, or that the plot was more interesting, but I enjoyed this one much more than the first two.

Dane continues to grow in her powers and we get a bit more about her parentage (possibly). Numair continues to delight and I was surprised by how nice Prince Kedar is too. Carthac is fleshed out a bit more since we actually
Kayla Edwards
There's nothing I can say that will adequately express how I feel about these books and I'm not even going to try. Besides, the fact that I read them all repeatedly (I quit counting after the 10th time) is the highest form of praise I can give anyway. Daine, Numair, and the others are friends as dear to me as any in this world.
kris
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
[Also read 19 December 2007]

Daine is 'invited' along with a ragtag group of Tortallian delegates to attempt to arrange peace between Tortall and Carthak. She's supposed to heal birds, discovers she can heal the dead, and ends up in Revenge!mode after a series of (hilarious) misunderstandings.

1. I will be blunt: I am increasingly disappointed in these books. I can just about taste the fascinating, intricate, complex story of a girl who is unwittingly growing into a conduit between the Divine Rea
Fantasy Literature
The Emperor Mage is the third book in Tamora Pierce's The Immortals Quartet, and by this stage if you haven't read the previous installments (Wild Magic and Wolf Speaker) I heartily recommend that you don't start here — you'll be completely baffled. A peace delegation including Alanna the Lioness, the Gareths and other nobles from Tortall have been sent to the hot, swampy Charthak Empire in order to negotiate peace with the war-mongering Emperor Ozorne. With them is Numair, once the Emperor's be ...more
Noelle
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Happy sigh]
If nothing else a classic for the chapter title Daine Loses Her Temper.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Loved this one! Review to follow!
musa b-n
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this audiobook because it was the first TPierce audiobook readily available on Libby, I was going to be on a train, and I'm working on a Tortall-based game, so I wanted to get in the mood. It was good! Daine is the most relatable character, unfortunately.
Nidofito
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this was hugely entertaining BUT

A few things:

1) It is always easier to find fault in others than in oneself. Yes, slavery is bad in any form. But does the whole Tortall vs. Carthak culture need to be set up so preachy? Why is one superior to another? Is Tortall an ideal country with perfect citizens with perfect morals living perfect lives? No. So why is there a good Tortall and bad Carthak vibe going on?

2) There is this one sentence that seemed really strange to me and I'm wondering if it i
Claire
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Daine returns in the third book of the Immortals quartet. Here she is brought on a diplomatic mission to a kingdom south of Tortall (which is strangely like Egypt. . .hmmm) where the all-powerful Emperor is plotting a war. A war with Tortall.

In order to stave off the potentially devastating consequences of war on their small kingdom, a mission of all the knights you remember from previous books in order to wage peace, as well as heal the Emperor's birds, whom he cares about more than life itself
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
I LOVED THIS. I flew through it while the 2nd book took me some time. I was immediately into the story; I liked the change in setting and meeting all the new characters and creatures. Zek!! And Kaddar was so interesting, his relationship with Daine was great. I kept picturing the Graveyard Hag as a mix between Mulan's grandmother and the short Fate sister from Hercules. This book was so exciting and awesome, I think I'll start the next one right now. I really love Daine's powers and watching her ...more
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Reread this during a sick day. Ohhh boy it reads different as a 30-something than it did as a preteen. Pierce almost always handles her non-European counterpart cultures awkwardly, and it's no different here.

I do wish other books in the series were more like this one other aspects, though. This book has pretty much the best pacing of any book in the Tortall series, and has a perfect blend of mystery, court intrigue, comedy, adventure, etc.
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Reread 2020:

Ahhh just as good as the first time around. I love Daine so much. She’s scary when she’s angry and I think that makes her more lovable. She will do anything for those she cares about. I loved the addition of Zek and Bonedancer and Kitten as as lovely as she ever is. The Graveyard Hag still annoys me lol but oh well. Excited to finish off this series soon!

***

I'm literally just giving all of these 5 stars cause I can't help it.

All I have to say is: NUMAIR
Ashley
Zombie dinosaurs, inappropriate love triangles, shapeshifting, angry Gods, morally complex characters . . . well, that was more like it.
Isabel
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Tamora Pierce, i love you

• Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • Defy or Defend  (Delightfully Deadly, #2)
  • Die Entscheidung der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #3)
  • Der Traum der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #5)
  • Der Fluch der Hebamme (Hebammen Saga, #4)
  • The Waterless Sea
  • Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
  • Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, and Sir Thursday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1-4)
  • Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)