Start by marking “Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)

Sky in the Deep

(Sky in the Deep #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  24,831 ratings  ·  5,367 reviews
Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan. Her life is brutal but simple: fight and survive. Until the day she sees the impossible on the battlefield—her brother, fighting with the enemy—the brother she watched die five years ago.

Faced with her brother's betrayal, she must survive the win
Published April 24th 2018 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Sky in the Deep, please sign up.
Cassandra It is a common practice for names to come from job and trade titles. Smith is a common name and its a job. Fisher is also a common name. Commoners nev…moreIt is a common practice for names to come from job and trade titles. Smith is a common name and its a job. Fisher is also a common name. Commoners never really had last names until recently, and most last names derive from job titles. Sam the Fisher turns into Sam Fisher. Only the wealthy land owners had last names to mark heritage and lineage for land disputes. Adrienne Young acknowledges the names meaning and origin. Fiske's name was chosen with purpose ;)(less)
Adrienne Young Yep! There's a companion novel coming in 2019.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  24,831 ratings  ·  5,367 reviews

Start your review of Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
Emily May
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
1 1/2 stars. Okay, I think I might need to step away from YA fantasy for a while. I'm going to read Ash Princess and a couple of other ARCs I've committed to, but after that I'm going to start being much more selective and stop being seduced by pretty covers and exciting blurbs. I might be lying about this, but here's hoping I can restrain myself.

The thing is, Sky in the Deep feels like one more in a long line of shallow and emotionless fantasies. When I began reading, I knew very little about i
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
100% pure Viking awesomeness and a crapload of feels. SO GOOD.

I'll be honest. I was a little worried about connecting to the heroine. I LOVE badass girls, don't get me wrong, but it seems every book is throwing us a hard heroine who wants to cut down a bunch of people and not apologize for it, and they often have no heart or redeeming qualities. (And a lot of the times, they are written by men.) I find myself having a hard time rooting for them unless their character arc is extremely compelling
Cristina Monica
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
More often than not, when I pick a YA fantasy up, I am not expecting to be surprised. Entertained, maybe, and possibly charmed, but not surprised. Never surprised. I feel like if I do, I am setting myself up for disappointment on purpose.

Because rare are the YA fantasy books that are so original they don’t immediately remind you of previous fantasy books you’ve read. This is why it’s extremely easy for readers and professionals to market those stories as ‘‘said book’’ meets ‘‘said book’’.

It’s
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
May Owlcrate Box. Click under picture to see the unboxing.

THE GOODS

Freaking loved it!!

I loved Eelyn and Fiske! There were others too. This definitely wasn't what I thought the book was going to be but I loved it all the same. A few bloody fights and some strong women.

But the thing is, you need to read this book for yourself! Don't listen to the know it all people. Read YOUR own damn books!! I hate if someone decides not to read something I didn't like because you could miss out on your own ge
Melanie

ARC provided by St. Martin’s Press in exchange for an honest review.

“…the last time I saw my brother was five years ago. Lying dead in the snow.”

Sky in the Deep is a debut, standalone, young adult fantasy novel that stars two different Viking clans. But this is a story about betrayal, then survival, then a choice. You all, I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was unique, well written, and has some amazing characters.

Our main protagonist, Eelyn, has lived the last five years mourn
High Lady of The Night Court
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
I did not expect to like this book so much at all. The concept is simple and the plot is also very straight forward but the emotional aspect of this book was far deeper than I anticipated. I love the whole Viking concept going on and the characters are all amazing. What blew me away the most is the writing. Adrienne Young’s writing is the one of the most spectacular use of words I have seen in my life. I went into the book without reading the blurb and the two reasons I was so enchanted by this ...more
jessica
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
this book is E X A C T L Y the kind of content i signed up for in 2019 (never mind that this was released nearly a year ago :P).

truth be told, i actually actively stayed away from this. i hated the cover because i thought it tried too hard to be edgy and rough, vikings dont appeal to me in the least, and the plot just sounded meh. but let me be the first to tell you that i was sooo wrong (except for the cover - i still dont like it. lol).

what really blew me away was how original this is. i was
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
Well, in the words of someone who knew exactly what they were talking about... I’ve just been had. So utterly and completely.

This was a letdown; plain and simple. I don’t know how else to express my shattered expectations.

This was not the “Viking” book I was eagerly awaiting to read and in fact, the only thing Viking about this was pretty much the setting and that’s where it stops. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Put every cliched ya plot together, mash it up, say it’s Viking, throw in some Nordic
Katerina
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No words can explain how much I loved this book.

But I will give it a try.
“Ond Eldr.
Breathe Fire.”

Sky in the Deep is a Viking-inspired tale, following the steps of Eelyn, a fierce and devoted warrior. Her clan, the Aska, worship the god Sigr and, according to his will, they fight their enemies, the Riki, the ones who worship the goddess Thora, every five years. This ancient blood feud has filled the hearts of the Riki and the Aska with ingrained hatred, but the fates of the two people
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Wow, this review is so overdue, and I’m so sorry for that—I think I honestly completely forgot that I hadn’t reviewed it yet, but it’s been a full two months since I read this book! That said, it was enjoyable enough that it stuck with me pretty well, so… let’s do the thing!

Vegr yfir fjor. Honor above life.”

First of all, let me say that I went into this book feeling cautiously optimistic; the synopsis didn’t completely sell me, and I was a little bit worried that it would be one of those
Nasom
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Full Review

This was so good!! Now I need more enemies-to-lovers books 💕😍😍

I can’t believe this is the first book by the author because it did not feel like a first book at all. I found it well written and engaging.

What I liked
- The first chapter is a battle one. I love books that start off being action-y instead of having to wait until the middle of the book. So I was immediately invested in the story.

- I love books that have belief systems and this book had two: I loved learning abou
Kayla Dawn
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
This was a very, very typical YA fantasy.

Barely any world building, cliched characters (especially our dear "heroine"), an underdeveloped romance and an unrealistic, very rushed ending.

It really did have potential though, there were some parts that I really enjoyed. The writing style isn't too bad either. It's relatively easy but still "pretty" (even though there were a few sentences that made me cringe hard lol).

Sooo.. The world building.
Pretty much nonexistent. We get to know, that there are
megs_bookrack
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
**2.5-stars**

Sky in the Deep was not what I expected.

I have had this book on my radar for over a year and was anticipating it SOOOO much. The synopsis sounded like something I would really enjoy.

I have to be honest, I was disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but it just didn't click with me. It was okay.

I mean, it wasn't bad. The writing was fine, the characters were fine, there is nothing glaringly offensive about it. I don't know, for me, it just fell FLAT.

As far as the
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
The Review is Posted!

"Qnd eldr."
They were words I'd heard before. Breathe fire.

I admit that the first reason I read this book was because I knew there would be enemies to lovers and I FUCKING LOVE ENEMIES TO LOVERS TROPE, LIKE I LOVE IT SO MUCH. So me being a fan of enemies to lovers thought that I had no reason not to read the book and the synopsis of the book didn't sound bad. It sounded intriguing and the kind of story that maybe I would love but I was wrong. I mean, the boo
Elle (TheBookishActress)
really not a fan of this boring ass repetitive ass narrative voice, but I especially do not like incompetent main characters who are badass, and I think I might be in a bad reading mood, but can I just rant? I understand that after seeing your brother be murdered, you will be super upset. you might allow yourself to be captured!! I get it. but if you're written, from the start, as the most badass character ever, a pillar of iconicness, and then you fail in battle not once but twice in the first ...more
Sabrina
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: almost-favorites

RUTHLESS VIKINGS, ancient rivalries, falling for the enemy and strong has hell female and male characters.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED?💘

I'm surprised with this book, I expected to enjoy it but not as much as I did.
The story is original and intriguing.
This book was an action-packed gift. SO MANY FIGHTS, there was never a dull moment in this, and there was also a lot of heartbreaking moments.

The cha
Imane
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mythology
“Vegr yfir fjor.” Honor above life.”
― Adrienne Young, Sky in the Deep

description

🌟2/5🌟
This was a buddy read with The one and only
The story is about a female warrior who comes face to face on the battlefield with her brother who she thought died five years ago. And as much as I want to be generous as my beautiful friend who gave it 3.5/5 stars, this was just way too plain for me, aside from the cover, the originality and the beginning, I don't think I liked anything this book offered, the world building
clara
‘Vegr yfir fjor. Honour above life.’
On paper, Sky in the Deep sounds like everything I would want in a book: historical fiction, vikings, and an enemies-to-lovers relationship (I’m such a sucker for this trope, not gonna lie). However, I felt that the execution ultimately failed.

The writing was mediocre, the phrasing sometimes awkward and clunky, and the worldbuilding was barely present. Although Sky in the Deep never lacked for action, there was little substance or depth backing this.

The
Bitchin' Reads
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/16/2019: Just popping by to remind everyone of how much I love this book. Seriously, still resonates deeply within my soul.

8/30/2018: I keep thinking on this book. I may need to do a reread to satiate my need. The trials Eelyn faces, the love she finds, keeps coming back to me. The same thing happened with Strange the Dreamer, and rereading (for a second time in the same year) really helped nip the need.

5/28/2018: Here is my reminder that this book is amazing. <3 I hope all of you are able to
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 “Vegr yfir fjor.” Honor above life. ★'s

“There was only the white and cold and quiet of that forest. There was only loneliness. There was only the very barest part of me, waiting for the end to come. It crept toward me in the dark. It came for me. And when it overtook me, my last thought was I don’t want to die.”

“Ond Eldr. Breathe Fire.”

Wow! This. Book. Is. Insanely good!! Finally, after having read several books this year I found what I was looking for, something that sucked me in com
Arini
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

#1 Sky in the Deep — 3.75 Stars
#2 The Girl the Sea Gave Back — 3 Stars

Bloody viking, this was epic and hit you just right in the feels!! My first book about vikings, and it’s packed with brutal battle scenes, badass characters, true kinship, long lasting friendship, sweet and slow burn enemies to lovers romance. What more do you ask for??

I love Eelyn so much. She’s like this wonder woman/viking warrior who’s really cool and strong but also has a sense of loyalty and vulnerability when
Iben Frederiksen
Sky In the Deep, is the debut novel of writer Adrienne Young - and it is the debut novel everyone wishes they wrote!

The story is about vikings, and we follow the young warrior Eelyn as she and her people, the Aska, fight against an enemy clan, the Riki, in a massive battle they gather for every five years. There are axes and blood flying from the very first pages, and I was immediately pulled into the story.
Very shortly the premise of the story unfolded as Eelyn spots her brother Iri on the b
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished my reread of this beauty in preparation for the OwlCrate Book Club (come find us on Facebook if you’re an OwlCrate subscriber!). I didn’t think it was possible to love this book more than I already did, but I LOVED this reread. I took my time with it and really savoured every chapter. I adore these characters and this story. I can’t wait to discuss it in the book club.
Wren (fablesandwren)
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

Thank you to the publisher St. Martin's Press: Wednesday Books and NetGallery for providing me with a ebook copy of this beautiful book! Quotes taken from the book are subjected to change with the official release. All opinions on are mine and mine alone.

Release Date: April 24th 2018

Call the coast guard, I am drowning my need to become a viking. Who can I call to train me in how to use an ax and where can I get about fifty of them? As a young 20-something, I feel it would scare
Sh3lly
RELEASE DAY!

Review also found at:

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for the eARC to read and review!

Sky in the Deep is not released until April 24, 2018, so this will definitely be a spoiler-free review. The setting is a re-imagined historical fiction/fantasy about Vikings. Eelyn is seventeen and a warrior in the Aska clan. During a battle against an enemy Riki clan, Eelyn discovers her brother, Iri, thought dead, is actually still alive and fighting agains
Zainab
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
3.5 ish stars.

It's one of those books that finish before they even start. It started with our protagonist in a battle field (this is set in the Vikings era fyi) so the start was great and all but a bit too fast paced. Things happened so quickly I couldn't even keep track of it all.
The romance was unrealistic .You see I find it very hard to believe that a guy who adamantly believes in family over everything falls so much in 'loove' with the girl that after her living with his family for a few da
Riley
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this. Now I want to read/watch all the viking things
Ida
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars, but closer to 3 than 4 ⭐️

I'm not sure I read the same book as the rest of you..
Where is this badass heroine that shows you how badass she is rather than tell you? I mean, there were three times she acted badass, and they all lasted for less than two pages. For the rest of the book she simply told you that she could have killed someone, or she could have done this or that rather than actually doing it.
And is it too much to ask for a heroine that doesn't cry once every chapter for half
Christian
"They hated me like I hated them. But they'd won. And they knew it."

3 1/2 stars

Initially, I hadn't even really planned on reading Sky in the Deep, but, and this happens quite often and is very detrimental to my financial responsibilities, I randomly was really in the mood for it and none of the other books I already own. I don't question that anymore. So I just went ahead, got it and dove right in.

The first chapter opens with this massive action sequence, and if I tell you that I was here for i
Candace Robinson
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Is this really a stand alone? Because I’m so thrilled after the ending! Also, can the whole ax thing was freaking awesome, and there was some awesomely brutal scenes. There was family love, friendship, and romance mixed in. And I really want viking hair as of now!!

Review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...

• Warrior of the Wild
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Daughter of the Siren Queen (Daughter of the Pirate King, #2)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Catching Stars
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
New York Times bestselling author of SKY IN THE DEEP, THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK & the upcoming FABLE duology from Wednesday Books. Agent: Barbara Poelle, IGLA

Adrienne Young is a born and bred Texan turned California girl. She is a foodie with a deep love of history and travel and a shameless addiction to coffee. When she’s not writing, you can find her on her yoga mat, scouring antique fairs for

Sky in the Deep (2 books)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)

Articles featuring this book

A lord's daughter who pursues her passion for forensic science. A young girl who takes a stand after a heartbreaking tragedy. A ...
“Vegr yfir fjor.” Honor above life.” 61 likes
“We find things, just as we lose things. If you’ve lost your honor, you’ll find it again.” 52 likes