The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2018 > Questions/Problems in Completed Tasks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 317 (317 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
Questions or problems with completed task posts will be posted here.

If you have questions about your points on the Readerboard:

1. Make sure that the Readerboard has been updated through the post that you are concerned about.
2. Please check your math.
3. Check to see if one of your posts is listed in this thread with a question. If so, please make a NEW POST in the Completed tasks thread to clear up the question. DO NOT go back and edit the original post. I will not go backwards in the completed task thread to pick up points.
4. To avoid further questions/problems, please refer to the TASK DESCRIPTIONS and the POSTING REQUIREMENTS.

Thank you for helping keep the record keeping for the challenge as manageable as possible.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16720 comments Mod
Bridgit wrote: "10.7 - The Worlds Largest - Lover Eternal
#2 in a series"

This is not the task posting thread, Bridgit.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Michelle in Alaska post 29

From your comment in the discussion thread: "So strange - I started reading this book the day before the new season started! Had no idea it was a group read." Your shelf also shows a start date of May 31.

Books must be read during the period of the current challenge, unless they are over 500 pages. See the Rules of the Challenge

message 4: by Sandy (new)

CelesteR post 30

Memory Eater I has no format information in its GR record, but it appears to be an ebook without a print edition. https://amphora-research.info/2103127...

Since there is no print edition, the length must be verified in the ebook verification thread Posts must include a reference to the approval thread or spreadsheet line.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 528 comments Mary P

My total on the leaderboard should be 30. Message #4 and #18 on completed tasks.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Mary wrote: "Mary P

My total on the leaderboard should be 30. Message #4 and #18 on completed tasks."

Thanks, Mary - got it straightened out. Seems like my spreadsheet always requires a little tinkering with at the beginning of a new season! Your correct total should show up in the next update!

message 7: by Sandy (new)

CelesteR post 60

The series designation must be part of the GR record - "Title (Series #1)." Planetary* Vol.1 does not have series information.

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Cynbaxter post 80

I believe you've linked to the wrong book - a 74 page book that is commentary by Biswas about The Outsider: A Novel.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Jayme (the ghostreader) post 85
All posts must include links to the books claimed.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

READ 60 post 86

Brave New World is on the 2002 list - but Brave New World Revisited is not.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

DebraJean post 87

The minimum for 2 BB tickets is 750. I have credited you with 1 BB ticket.

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra | 126 comments Whoops. My mistake. Thank you!

message 13: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Wayne wrote: "post 91

OK, this is really bizarre. Mayday!: A History of Flight through its Martyrs, Oddballs, and Daredevils claims to be a Kindle edition only. I have the paperback book right i..."

Wait, shouldn't you put this in the e-book thread?

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 769 comments Wayne wrote: "post 91

OK, this is really bizarre. Mayday!: A History of Flight through its Martyrs, Oddballs, and Daredevils claims to be a Kindle edition only. I have the paperback book right i..."

Wayne, I would post this in the anyone with librarian status.... thread and see if someone can help you. It sounds like possibly some editions need to be added and/or combined, but unfortunately I don't have time to dig into it tonight.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Wayne post 91

As you pointed out above, your link leads to a kindle edition with no other edition. When you get this straightened out - have you asked a librarian yet - you can repost with the correct information.

Also, have you tried entering the ISBN on the copy you have? That might lead you to the correct edition, if it's in GR but just not showing up on your title search.

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Rhiannon post 95

Task 30.9, option B, requires that you specify which lists your books are found on and which page of the lists.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Heather post 97

We have no Heather on the readerboard, although there are a number of participants with variations on Heather. Please repost with your readerboard name. If you do not have one, you can post in this thread: Readerboard Names.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Beth F post 114

Hark! A Vagrant appears to be a collection of comic strips.

Please see the Rules of the Challenge:
"Collections of syndicated, periodical or internet comic strips, single or short-format panels, or cartoons must be at least 200 pages to be used for SRC tasks."

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Cynbaxter post 121

My Cousin Rachel was first published in 1951, not 1938. Most of the editions, including the one to which you linked, have the correct first publication date. I did check a number of sources, and 1951 is the correct date. Therefore, no GO ticket for this one.

One edition states that 1938 was the first publication date - however, that was the first publication date for Rebecca, so presumably this is the source of the confusion).

message 20: by Sandy (last edited Jun 09, 2018 04:21PM) (new)

Beth F post 144

Just FYI - no need to repost.

You linked to and referred to the kindle edition for page numbers for a BB ticket. We do not use ebook page numbers. Please see the Rules of the Challenge:

"If you read an ebook, or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

>If there are multiple editions in a format:
From the editions page (click all editions on the main book page)
Set the Format, beginning with Mass Market Paperback
Set the Sort By as "num ratings"
Use the top edition result to determine the page number for ebooks and audiobooks
If there are no editions in MMPB, reset with Paperback and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no paperback editions, reset with Hardcover and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no print editions the ebook or audiobook may not be used for a task requiring a page number"

In this case, it doesn't matter, because the paperback edition has 624 pages, so still works for a BB ticket. However, sometimes it can make a difference.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Alisha Marie post 146

Task 5.7 requires that you include in your post the page of the list on which your book is found.

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Wayne wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Wayne post 91

As you pointed out above, your link leads to a kindle edition with no other edition. When you get this straightened out - have you asked a librarian yet - you can repos..."

Wayne, there is a group here on GR dedicated to fixing these kinds of problems. I've never had to wait longer than a day to get something fixed. This is a large group of librarians. It is called "GOODREADS LIBRARIANS GROUP".

message 23: by Sandy (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:40AM) (new)

CelesteR post 159

This is listed as a paperback with no page count. Either a page count must be included in the GR listing (and googledocs is not an acceptable source for page numbers, as pointed out in the librarians thread) or the book must be approved in the ebook approval thread.

If the book has been approved, repost including the post # or spreadsheet line on which it was approved.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Julia103 post 161

Task 20.5 requires that you state the option you chose.

message 25: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 107 comments Sandy wrote: "Alisha Marie post 146

Task 5.7 requires that you include in your post the page of the list on which your book is found."

Sorry! Just edited the post to include the page number.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Alisha Marie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Alisha Marie post 146

Task 5.7 requires that you include in your post the page of the list on which your book is found."

Sorry! Just edited the post to include the page number."

Don't edit your post - I do not go back to look at old posts. You will need to make a new post.

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Tien post 170

Just FYI - no need to repost - please check your totals.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Danibean post 198

Task 5.2 requires that you include the page of the list on which your book was found.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Mazza1 post 200

Just FYI, no need to repost - check your totals.

message 30: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Sandy wrote: "Mazza1 post 200

Just FYI, no need to repost - check your totals."

thanks i must have been having a senior moment

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Diana post 247

We have more than one Diana in the SRC - please repost with your readerboard name.

message 32: by Sandy (last edited Jun 16, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

CelesteR post 267

カテキョ! 4 Katekyo! 4 does not work for a one word title - spaces determine words, and the 4 following the first word and then a space makes this a 2 word title.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Celeste R post 272
Shattered by the CEO only shows as having 3 kindle editions. If there is a paper edition, you will need to link to that to establish page length. If not, you will need to get confirmation in the ebook approval thread that this is >100 pages.

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Siobhan post 278

Just FYI, no need to repost. Please check your total.

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Dulcinella post 279

If you are claiming BB or GO tickets, you need to claim it along with the task posting, not at the bottom of the page.

Also, keep in mind that when a task has a page requirement, the kindle page length is not what is used.

"If you read an ebook, or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

>If there are multiple editions in a format:
From the editions page (click all editions on the main book page)
Set the Format, beginning with Mass Market Paperback
Set the Sort By as "num ratings"
Use the top edition result to determine the page number for ebooks and audiobooks
If there are no editions in MMPB, reset with Paperback and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no paperback editions, reset with Hardcover and the same sort (num ratings). If there are no print editions the ebook or audiobook may not be used for a task requiring a page number"

In this case, the paperback editions were fine - but there are times when this can matter.

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Thanks for the explanation. Do you want me to repost for the Golden Oldie?

message 37: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Sandy wrote: "Celeste R post 272
Shattered by the CEO only shows as having 3 kindle editions. If there is a paper edition, you will need to link to that to establish page length. If not, you will..."

Err it is the kindle edition. I have to check the e-book list even if it already has the page requirements and everything?

message 38: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Sandy wrote: "CelesteR post 267

カテキョ! 4 Katekyo! 4 does not work for a one word title - spaces determine words, and the 4 following the first word and then a space makes this a 2 word title."

The 4 is the volume number. Volume 4 of the series: Katekyo!

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Claire wrote: "Thanks for the explanation. Do you want me to repost for the Golden Oldie?"

yes, please.

message 40: by Sandy (new)

Celeste wrote: "Err it is the kindle edition. I have to check the e-book list even if it already has the page requirements and everything? ..."

From the Rules of the Challenge:

"8. Using ebooks
If no print edition of a book exists on Goodreads, you MUST get the book pre-approved by a moderator in the topic "eBook verification-no print edition" in General Help. "

message 41: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Sandy wrote: "Celeste wrote: "Err it is the kindle edition. I have to check the e-book list even if it already has the page requirements and everything? ..."

From the Rules of the Challenge:

"8. Using ebooks
..."

Thank you for the clarification. Although I use the e-book thread a lot, I use it for different purposes. Thank you.

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Claire post 286

All posts, including reposts, must include your readerboard name.

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sophie post 320

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire includes Childrens as a main page genre:
Fantasy 2,238 users
Childrens 1,287 users
Science Fiction Fantasy 1,168 users
Novels 901 users

Please review the Rules of the Challenge for the rules regarding the use of childrens books.

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Coralie post 331

For task 30.3, option 1, you must indicate the title of the book that is on the shelf.

" If the book is part of a series, you may read any book from that series. REQUIRED: If you read a different book in a series, include in your post the name of the book that is on the list."

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Celeste R post 332

Task 25.7 requires that each book have at least 200 pages.

message 46: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Sandy wrote: "Celeste R post 332

Task 25.7 requires that each book have at least 200 pages."

nutters. will repost!!!

message 47: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments 30.7 - Knew/New Challenge
Book 1: Half a King (Shattered Sea Series)
Book 2: All the Light We Cannot See - BIG BOOK (531 pages)

Sea/See

Points this post: 30
Big Books: +1
Total Points: 140

message 48: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Bridgit wrote: "30.7 - Knew/New Challenge
Book 1: Half a King (Shattered Sea Series)
Book 2: All the Light We Cannot See - BIG BOOK (531 pages)

Sea/See

Points this post: 30
Big B..."

Wrong thread!!! (-o-) I do the same thing. Don't worry.

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Celeste R post 344

Task 25.7, option 2 requires that at least 2/3 of the book take place before 1900. You state that the story is 50-50 set in the two time periods, so that will not work for this task.

Also, please keep in mind that you must post the editions of the books that you actually read.

message 50: by Sandy (new)

Danie post 369
Task 20.9, option 3 requires that Mystery be a main page genre. Turtles All the Way Down does not include mystery as a main page genre. Genres at review:
Young Adult 3,148 users
Fiction 1,351 users
Contemporary 1,309 users

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7