Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
This topic is about Witness in Death
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Robb J.D ; Witness in Death (In Death #10) ; Informal Buddy Read ; Start Date 1 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod

Synopsis
Opening night at New York's New Globe Theater turns from stage scene to crime scene when the leading man is stabbed to death center stage. Now Eve Dallas has a high-profile, celebrity homicide on her hands. Not only is she lead detective, she's also a witness - and when the [press discovers that her husband owns the theater, there's more media spotlight than either can handle. The only way out is to move fast. Question everyone and everything...and in the meantime, try to tell the difference between the truth - and really good acting...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Suzanne | 4268 comments One of those really cool coincidences happened. I was reading The Mousetrap and Other Plays and had just finished "The Witness for the Prosecution" and then read the first chapter of this book, where they are watching THAT play! Eve called it all too - a lot better than I did!

Laura | 3927 comments Funny!

I’ll be starting in a bit.

Oh, Team Tom Riddle.

Laura | 3927 comments Thanks! It was fun to read knowing she was right. :)

And now on to the business of murder. Looks like Eve’s plans for after will have to wait.

Laura | 3927 comments I’m going to guess the brunette, Carly, had something to do with it. Although I don’t usually guess these right until at least 2/3 through. :)

Suzanne | 4268 comments It's good to have a guess at least out there though. And she certainly has a motive!

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 2:

Roarke’s amusement at Eve’s jealousy bugs me. Mavis and Peabody can hug and kiss him and she doesn’t mind. But she’s not okay with Areena and I think he should respect that. He should have stepped back from her.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Yeah I agree - and it seems like (far as I remember) in past books he hasn't done that. I mean, we know he's slept with lots and lots of women, but I don't think he let them cling like he allowed Areena to do. I SUPPOSE she could be a good enough actress to make him feel sorry for her, but yeah - he should respect Eve's feelings.

Laura | 3927 comments I love Peabody & McNab together. I hope they overcome the odds against cop relationships. But I wish Peabody would just accept that she likes him.

Laura | 3927 comments I love that his gift was a chocolate bar!

Chapter 13:
(view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Chapter 14:

Watching Eve try to get this dinner together is great. And so sweet!

Laura | 3927 comments Finished super late last night. I really enjoyed it.

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm a bit behind you - I'll blame babysitting :) But I agree about Peabody and McNab - one of the things I like is that she is SO self-conscious of her body and he just thinks she's totally beautiful, and I feel like he kind of conveys that to her.

Laura | 3927 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm a bit behind you - I'll blame babysitting :) But I agree about Peabody and McNab - one of the things I like is that she is SO self-conscious of her body and he just thinks she's totally beautif..."

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Melissa (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa | 3007 comments Mind if I join you? I just finished Loyalty in Death and am about to start this one. it'll be a re-read for me. Or have you both finished already?

Suzanne | 4268 comments I haven't finished yet - and even if I had, it'd be awesome to have you join us.

Suzanne | 4268 comments While I was reading last night, I hit the chapters with Mavis - I don't think it's spoiler material, but I just really like Mavis' character. You'd think she would be annoying, but she's just so excited and happy. And I REALLY like how Eve responds to Mavis - the feelings she has. I wonder if that is one of the reasons Roarke likes Mavis - he sees how she affects his wife.

Melissa | 3007 comments Great - thanks!

I love Mavis and Eve's friendship. Mavis touches a side of Eve that basically no one gets to see. She cracked through Eve's shell and she did it by being herself. I love when Mavis is in the books she lightens them and always makes me laugh!

That's a great thought. I never considered that could be why Roarke likes Mavis so much but I think you are right. He loves when Eve relaxes and enjoys life and Mavis definitely brings that out in Eve!

Laura | 3927 comments I think you’re right about why Roarke likes her. I hadn’t thought of that. :)

Melissa | 3007 comments Suzanne wrote: "Yeah I agree - and it seems like (far as I remember) in past books he hasn't done that. I mean, we know he's slept with lots and lots of women, but I don't think he let them cling like he allowed A..."

I agree with you both. This part about Roarke annoys me. I know he acts amused because he doesn't think she has a reason to be jealous but that's not the point. Eve doesn't like Areena hanging on her husband and he should respect her opinion on that.

He always pushes her in and kisses her too when she feels that jealousy. Like he thinks sex is the way to show her she has nothing to be jealous of. Instead of just not doing the thing that bothers her in the first place.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I finished. I enjoyed it, and like how it was different and didn't follow the same pattern as previous books (view spoiler)

Trueheart (view spoiler)

And Laura - (view spoiler)

Laura | 3927 comments Suzanne wrote: "I finished. I enjoyed it, and like how it was different and didn't follow the same pattern as previous books [spoilers removed]

Trueheart [spoilers removed]

And Laura - [spoilers removed]"

I do like Trueheart. I think this is the second book he's been in. I hope to see more of him! (And when Eve bought the gift and it wouldn't let her pay? Priceless!)

Laura | 3927 comments Melissa wrote: "He always pushes her in and kisses her too when she feels that jealousy. Like he thinks sex is the way to show her she has nothing to be jealous of. Instead of just not doing the thing that bothers her in the first place. "

I think they use sex in their relationship for a lot of things that an ordinary couple would talk about. Neither of them really knows what they're doing as far as a normal, committed relationship goes. :)

Melissa | 3007 comments I do love Trueheart. I think he is a great side character.

This is one of my favorite in the series because it is so different. Even rereading it I can't remember who the killer is. I'm a little more than half way done and can't put it down. I think that part of it is because it focuses on the crime and not, like you said Suzanne, Eve an Roarke's relationship.

Melissa | 3007 comments I've finished. This is one of my favs again re-reading these. I love the interaction between Eve and Roarke in this book.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I love seeing that you all are loving this series as much as I do!

Melissa | 3007 comments It's a great series isn't it? I read up to book 30 or so and want to try and get the rest read as I re-read these. Have you read them all Laura?

Laura | 3927 comments This is my first time. Just finished #12 last night. I’m going to try to get through #20 this month for AMMP’s Fairytales by the Numbers challenge. :)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Melissa wrote: "It's a great series isn't it? I read up to book 30 or so and want to try and get the rest read as I re-read these. Have you read them all Laura?"

Yes, I 'm currently awaiting the next installment. #47 comes out in the fall I think. It doesn't grow old reading about much loved favorite characters. You can see how each of the characters have grown over the series.
I much prefer her writing as Robb rather than Roberts.

Melissa | 3007 comments First timer :D I'm jealous. Although I will say it's been long enough for me that I don't remember everything so I get little surprises as I'm re-reading.

It doesn't grow old you are right about that. I'm not sure which I prefer. They are different styles yet similar. I get sucked in by both that's for sure LOL

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I read Roberts first. Didn't know she wrote as Robb. ( There was no Goodreads back then) Found these and Roberts and I parted ways.

I 've read a lot of her earlier stuff and trilogies.

message 34: by Eunice (last edited Jun 08, 2018 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice | 504 comments Melissa wrote: "I do love Trueheart. I think he is a great side character.

This is one of my favorite in the series because it is so different. Even rereading it I can't remember who the killer is. I'm a little ..."

Trueheart's a great character. He's so enthusiastic with his job. His surname's pretty fitting, I'd say.

Eunice | 504 comments I really like how Robb (or Roberts) writes this series. She mixes the mysteries and the romance well. And I like the slow development of Roarke and Eve's relationship too.

All the connections between the characters involved in the case make my head spin. Like wow. Incestuous indeed. (view spoiler) It seems like such a small world.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Eunice it sure does seem like a small world, and yet that at the same time felt believable - especially since everyone in this book pretty much was involved in theater, which I suspect is really that way. And then Roarke is involved in everything lol.

Eunice | 504 comments Roarke has his hands in practically every industry there is. It's like everything has his name stamped on it, hahaha.

Just finished the book. For the killer, (view spoiler)

I thought Draco can't be any more despicable than he is. It's disgusting, where he gets his kicks from.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I agree about Draco. And sad how many people excused all of his horrible behavior (kind of) by saying "but he's such a great actor. So talented."

Melissa | 3007 comments I agree about Draco as well. He was one of those men that you know exists in that world but always gets away with it.

message 40: by Eunice (last edited Jun 08, 2018 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eunice | 504 comments It's not like his co-actors and actresses could complain about working with him. Ugly personality or not, he's one of the best actors and has a lot of influence. His presence is a moneymaker, and in starring in a play with him, they would get a large profit and boost their reputations. They just put up with him for their own sakes.