Start by marking “The Mousetrap and Other Plays” as Want to Read:
The Mousetrap and Other Plays

The Mousetrap and Other Plays

This special collection of Agatha Christie's greatest suspense plays includes The Mousetrap (the longest running play in history), Ten Little Indians, Witness for the Prosecution, Appointment with Death, The Hollow, Towards Zero, Go Back to Murder, and The Verdict.
Published December 1st 2000 by NAL Trade (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mousetrap and Other Plays, please sign up.
Konstantin Buy it online, look for it at the bookshop, try to borrow it from the local library, find it at the street or charity book sales, look up at online…moreBuy it online, look for it at the bookshop, try to borrow it from the local library, find it at the street or charity book sales, look up at online book selling sites such as Amazon, get it on Kindle, find it in PDF format for free online...(less)
And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie
Best Agatha Christie Book
89 books — 1,143 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Twists
3,329 books — 6,953 voters

More lists with this book...

Nandakishore Varma
What shall I say about an institution which is one of England's tourist attractions, along with Nelson's Column, Big Ben and Buckingham Palace?

I read it as a short story and loved it: I read it as a play and loved it, despite knowing the secret: and finally, in 2009...

A dream come true!
Veronique
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

Being a fan of Christie’s writing, it was high time I finally read her plays, and especially THE longest running West End show. It is impossible not to hear about the Mousetrap and I was very curious to find out about it. Unsurprisingly, it was vintage Christie :O) The only problem is that in order to really experience this play, or indeed any, it should be seen. Note to self - go see play!

Here is a list of the texts included in this anthology, all exposing various degrees of deceit, devilis
Lata
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The Mousetrap: I was expecting a tougher mystery to figure out, but it wasn't. I knew who the murderer was pretty early on (the skis).
Eva
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superlative
5/5
Considering I keep going back to read this book, I obviously love it enough to give it the highest-possible rating on Goodreads.

It's just that good. I don't even want to read the novels of any of these plays because the scripts are just so so good. Did I mention that I love reading the parts out loud in the different voices? (Note: I don't read through ALL the voices like that. I assign myself 2-3 parts in each play and preform accordingly.)

It is one of my favorite daydreams that I get to att
Vikas Singh
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published on occasion of 60th anniversary of Mousetrap, this collection includes eight of best Christie's plays. It includes Verdict, which was a play Christie wrote original and was not based on any of her previous novels or short stories. The other interesting play is the Witness for prosecution which has a different ending from the short play
❂ Jennifer
I've only read The Mousetrap, so this is really only a partial review, but it's a great play to read. Christie really was a master at her craft; just about everyone since has been a poor imitation. Easy to read and a great little mystery with a fun twist at the end.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/109683...
Cata
Feb 01, 2017 marked it as standby  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2015
Appointment with death... Mnhee meio seca. Gostei mais do original
Raimondo
My impressions of each play:

Ten Little Indians - its source novel And Then There Were None is a masterpiece, a timeless mystery classic. This play is but a pale reflection. What was originally a dark piece on savage justice worthy of the Erinyes devolves into a milquetoast caricature here.

Appointment With Death - (view spoiler)
Pauline B (Dancing Lawn)
Great collection of Agatha Christie's plays. Some were adapted from novels but most were written as plays originally with very detailed stage instructions. This makes these plays very dynamic and easy to read, although I would try to watch some of these as stage productions if the occasion presents itself. I love how music plays a big role in Christie's novels (songs, nursery rhymes...) and this element is also used in some of the plays, which adds to the atmosphere beautifully.

Ten Little India
Jemilla
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
not the greatest ending but i was focused on all the wrong things and totally didn’t pick it.
Emma Kate
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5
I actually really liked this! I read it for school and I think that added to my enjoyment. The ending wasn't q u i t e as satisfying as I would have liked but all in all, a solid read :)
Tami
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short but brilliant. This seems so classic.

All the suspicious parties ensconced in an old manor on the countryside during a snow storm.

And a serial killer on the loose.

I was pretty sure about the culprit early on, but nevertheless a very satisfying read.

David Schaafsma
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
I read this because I was IN a production ( as Christopher Wren!) in maybe 1982 at Calvin College, summer production with mostly Calvin alumni... Obviously one of the (is it THE longest?!) longest running productions of a play in history, in London.... and it is a great play... as so many of hers are...
Rosa Jamali
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A turning point in the history of crime fiction , a very dramatic setting & a suspense story!
Rebekah
Loved it! The plays are racier than the books.
Gomathi Sridevi
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first while reading this I was bored but when Sergeant Trotter comes in I found the story interesting. I read it as a play and a good time killer.
Frederick
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read the title play only. I was surprised to find it very funny and sardonic. It's about a married couple who run a small hotel. The husband has a snide outlook and often insults the guests. His wife is constantly getting on him about fixing things. The meals, masquerading as elegant, are dished from a can. There is a doddering old man called The Major, there is a haughty old lady, there is an ever-present fear that one of the guests will flee, leaving the bill unpaid and a suitcase full of br ...more
Arun Divakar
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it
I have very vague recollections of trying to read a Hercule Poirot book from almost a decade ago and hardly remember a thing from it. This was all the acquaintance I had with Agatha Christie. A colleague once when she received a pay raise went ahead and brought the entire collection of Miss Marple and I remember staring incredulously at her as she explained the different titles in the collection. After a while I come to know of the longest running play in Broadway and also of the 2003 film Ident ...more
James Duyck
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
In general I think that these plays are very good as plays, but as text I like Agatha Christie's novels better. I think the novels are usually better-paced than about half of the plays in this collection, at least for reading.
My favourites were probably Towards Zero, Go Back for Murder, Appointment with Death, and The Hollow, approximately in that order.
I'm not really a connoisseur of mystery, so I can't really speak to how original the plotlines are, but at least there were a few that broke th
Diane Hernandez
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I only read the three original plays in this book. The others were adaptations of her books that I have already read elsewhere. I liked The Mousetrap the best though it was relatively easy to guess the murderer's identity. However, I did have fun picturing how similar the plot was to both Sleuth and Noises Off and I wondered if those plays later made into movies were somewhat based on this play. I'm sure if I hadn't seen the marvelous Marlene Dietrich movie version of Witness for the Prosecution ...more
Ann
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Agatha Christie usually gets 5 stars from me because she is brilliant! I loved her plays. Two of them I’ve read in novel form, and I can’t wait to read the novels of the others. I’m not lying when I say that I loved all the plays in this anthology - each one had a perfectly crafted murder mystery. It takes a second to get used to reading a script, but this is totally worth the read!
Akshi
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, plays
I have only read 'The Mousetrap' and not the 'Other Plays'. This one will always stay close to my heart because it happened to be the first large-scale play that I performed [:
Sherri Rabinowitz
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had only read one of the Agatha Christie plays that she had adapted for the stage and that was because I was in it; Murder on the Nile. I was so excited to be in the play and I had the script of just that play, so I had no idea how many of her plays she herself had adapted. The first thing I noticed when I read it, and I was stunned by it, is that she took out Hercule Poirot. She replaced him with Canon Pennyfather from the novel; At Bertram's Hotel. Because the Cannon was a rather dithering o ...more
Marissa
This volume contains three of the most famous stage thrillers of all time – Ten Little Indians, The Mousetrap, and Witness for the Prosecution – as well as some lesser-known Christie plays.

As the longest-running West End play, The Mousetrap has a permanent place in theater history and a lot of hype built up around it. While the twist is not that audacious, perhaps another explanation for its success is that it contains a lot of weird, eccentric characters that are fun for both audiences and acto
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Katherine
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin
Barbara Nutting
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read these 4 plays on 4 different days, I had trouble with the format. I like to visualize my own scenes rather than have Agatha spell it out for me. I find all the stage directions distracting, but it is the only way to read The Mousetrap!! Would love to see that on the stage. I haven’t read anything in play form since I was a little girl and my Grandfather would bring home movie scripts from the studio. I don’t think I have the patience to read anymore, I’ll stick to novels.