Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3)
This topic is about Beneath the Sugar Sky
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > McGuire,Seanan--Beneath the Sugar Sky informal buddy read starts June 22, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire.

Synopsis
eneath the Sugar Sky returns to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children. At this magical boarding school, children who have experienced fantasy adventures are reintroduced to the "real" world.

Sumi died years before her prophesied daughter Rini could be born. Rini was born anyway, and now she’s trying to bring her mother back from a world without magic.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 24, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Elen | 1112 comments I think we should start this book in June (Maybe 14/15?), so everyone who is still reading book 1 and 2, can catch up.

Team Hermione Granger

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments sadly i can't read it until mid july bc of the 6 months rule but i'll definitely be hanging around the thread regardless :)

Claire  | 3800 comments Definitely joining this BR. Mid-June is fine for me :)

TEAM HERMIONE

Annalisa | 1373 comments I'm looking forward to reading Sumi's story. I'm fine starting whenever. I got a copy from the library, but it shouldn't be an issue to renew it if I need.

Team Severus Snape

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments just finished Down Among the Sticks and Bones!!! I got a couple of BRs lined up already... would June 20 work for you guys?

Team Lockhart :)

Elen | 1112 comments I have 2 BR starting on 20 June. I don't think I can handle 3 BR at the same time xD (25 June 1 BR)

But I can start 2 days after that or some days before 20 June.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I might have to start a little earlier, which should be no problem :) My library hold came in yesterday, so I have it for 20 days.

message 11: by Skandia (last edited May 28, 2018 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'd like to join and as I have the book ready, I don't mind starting earlier.
I promise to use spoiler tags :)

I'm team Filius Flitwick.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments June 22 would work great for me :P

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14780 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 14: by Snowtulip (last edited Jun 15, 2018 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I know I'm early, but my book's due in a few days, so I started :)

So far I'm liking this story and being back in this world. I had a hard time with the way book 2 was told, and I realize I like the way this book and book 1 are told.

Through Ch. 3

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments I'm getting started on this book now. I really liked the rhyme at the beginning. Also, the introductions in these books read a bit like poetry. I really like that.

Like Snowtulip I had issues with the narrative style of the last book, so I'm hoping to like this one more.

Annalisa | 1373 comments Part I
I think I like the books set at the school better than in the worlds. This one is drawing me in and I'm already enjoying it.

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Part II
So far this may be my favorite of the books.

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Annalisa wrote: "Part II

"

I agree (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Starting this too !
I'm so happy to go back to the school !! I missed it in book two.

Claire  | 3800 comments Up to chapter 3

(view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments chapter 6

I love (view spoiler)

message 22: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments I am going to start is soon. Like I understand right now action takes place in school again *YEY for that*. Also, I would love to see a mix between school and someone's world.

Excited :D

Annalisa | 1373 comments Snowtulip wrote: "I know I'm early, but my book's due in a few days, so I started :)

So far I'm liking this story and being back in this world. I had a hard time with the way book 2 was told, and I realize I like t..."

I agree with your comment about(view spoiler)

message 24: by Annalisa (last edited Jun 23, 2018 06:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annalisa | 1373 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Up to chapter 3

[spoilers removed]"

You are so right (view spoiler)

message 25: by Annalisa (last edited Jun 23, 2018 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annalisa | 1373 comments Part III

(view spoiler)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments I'm finishing up another BR tonight and will start with this one tomorrow night at the very latest! can't wait! I loved to hear we're back in the school for this book :)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Part IV

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Part I

I am already loving the book.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Annalisa (last edited Jun 23, 2018 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annalisa | 1373 comments Part V the ending. This is my favorite of the books.

Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

message 30: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Up to chapter 3"

First, when I saw Belyrika (=white river in Russian) I didn't see it. But after separating the words "Белая река", I was like yes, it is. LOL

Claire  | 3800 comments Annalisa wrote: "Part IV
"

Yes (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Annalisa wrote: "Part V the ending. This is my favorite of the books.

Chapter 13 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 14 .."

I also thought (view spoiler)

Claire  | 3800 comments Elen wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Up to chapter 3"

First, when I saw Belyrika (=white river in Russian) I didn't see it. But after separating the words "Белая река", I was like yes, it is. LOL"

Sorry I miss-spelled it. It's actually bellyyreka. I know "река" is supposed to be pronounced "rika", so that must be why. haha
I just noticed immediately and I thought it interesting that the one russian character was also the one to go there. Is there something cultural that decides in which world they belong?

Claire  | 3800 comments I finished the book. :D

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Annalisa wrote: "Part V the ending. This is my favorite of the books.

Chapter 14 .."

I also thought [spoilers removed]"

It seemed (view spoiler)

message 36: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Part II

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Elen wrote: "✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Up to chapter 3"

First, when I saw Belyrika (=white river in Russian) I didn't see it. But after separating the words "Белая река", I was like yes, it is...."

Good question. Maybe in some part they culture have an impact, but not a big one. Yes, I am also curious how they doors choose them - what trait should have and not to be in this particular world and not in another..?..

message 38: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Part III

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Annalisa wrote: "Part III

."

Christopher (view spoiler)

message 40: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Part IV and V

I loved this book, best of them all. I enjoyed the school and world in one book combined. Seanan writes so beautifully and good.

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Part II/Chpt 6 -

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Annalisa wrote: "Part II

"

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Up to chapter 3

..."

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Thru Part 3/Chpt 10 -

(view spoiler)

I was in the minority liking book 2 more than 1, but I have to agree that this is probably the best in the series for me so far! Each has a different feel to them with this one being the most whimsical IMO.

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Up to chapter 3

I really like how diverse the characters are..."

I know, right?? I love how inclusive Seanan McGuire /'s writing is, I'm really starting to wish I could meet her and give her the tightest hug ever!! she makes me feel so much better about humankind!

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments when I started reading the "prologue" I immediately felt this pain in my chest. I got reminded of the first book of the series; especially of (view spoiler)

so, onto this book... PART I

I like (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished yesterday. Thought it wrapped up very nicely.

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Annalisa wrote: "Part IV

..."

That was probably the funniest line in the book!

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ Foxgard wrote: "Annalisa wrote: "Part V the ending. This is my favorite of the books.

Chapter 14 .."

..."

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1112 comments Christina wrote: "when I started reading the "prologue" I immediately felt this pain in my chest. I got reminded of the first book of the series; especially of [spoilers removed]

so, onto this book... PART I"

I loved that line, it made me laugh so hard :D

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beneath the Sugar Sky (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)