Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
This topic is about A Treacherous Curse
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Raybourn, Deanna-- A Treacherous Curse informal buddy read starts June 9, 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31610 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss A Treacherous Curse byDeanna Raybourn.

Synopsis
London, 1888. As colorful and unfettered as the butterflies she collects, Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell can’t resist the allure of an exotic mystery—particularly one involving her enigmatic colleague, Stoker.
His former expedition partner has vanished from an archaeological dig with a priceless diadem unearthed from the newly discovered tomb of an Egyptian princess. This disappearance is just the latest in a string of unfortunate events that have plagued the controversial expedition, and rumors abound that the curse of the vengeful princess has been unleashed as the shadowy figure of Anubis himself stalks the streets of London.
But the perils of an ancient curse are not the only challenges Veronica must face as sordid details and malevolent enemies emerge from Stoker’s past.
Caught in a tangle of conspiracies and threats—and thrust into the public eye by an enterprising new foe—Veronica must separate facts from fantasy to unravel a web of duplicity that threatens to cost Stoker everything. . . .

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 24, 2018 04:20PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I'm in!

Laura | 3924 comments I’m in! Team Tom Riddle.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Me too. Team Luna Lovegood.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments I'm hoping to start this by the weekend. Love the friendship between Veronica and Stoker... but I want them to be MORE... Maybe this is the book when they become more than friends.

Laura | 3924 comments I hope so, too!

Laura | 3924 comments Excited to start this one in a few minutes! I've loved this series. :)

Laura | 3924 comments That might be the best first line ever. :)

Victoria | 1132 comments I'm not going to join this one since I read it only a few months ago, but I LOVE this series! And get really excited when I see others reading it! Enjoy :)

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 4

This is going to be an . . . interesting investigation.

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 9

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Chapter 11

I just cheered Veronica a little. Mostly in my head. :)

Laura | 3924 comments Same chapter

(view spoiler)

Laura | 3924 comments Just finished!

(view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Laura wrote: "That might be the best first line ever. :)"

Yes... very amusing I love the witty banter in this series.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 5

[spoilers removed]"

Oh, I didn't think of that... but you may be right. Love the Egyptian aspect of this case. A curse and lost treasure fits right in with Veronica and Stoker's adventures.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Laura wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jammin Jenny (new) - added it

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I still plan on reading and commenting but I'm just overloaded with books right now!

Laura | 3924 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Laura wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Chapter 9 [spoilers removed]"

What he reveals about their marriage sheds a lot of light on his character, and some of why he acts the way he does.

message 24: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 13, 2018 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Laura wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Laura wrote: "Chapter 9

[spoilers removed]"

Chapter 9 [spoilers removed]"

What he reveals about their marriage sheds a lot of light on his character, and some of why..."

Just finished Chapter 15. Finally we know the truth about what happened (view spoiler)

Hoping to finish this afternoon.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5337 comments Laura wrote: "Just finished!

I knew it!

I love Veronica’s description of butterfly hunting and equating it to pursuing Stoker. I have high hopes for romance in the next book!"

Finished. I really enjoyed it, both the mystery with the Egyptian theme which is so Victorian and the slow burn of Stoker and Veronica's relationship .

(view spoiler)

Can't wait for the next book, early next year, I believe.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Treacherous Curse (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Deanna Raybourn (other topics)