Start by marking “A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)

A Treacherous Curse

(Veronica Speedwell #3)

London, 1888. As colorful and unfettered as the butterflies she collects, Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell can’t resist the allure of an exotic mystery—particularly one involving her enigmatic colleague, Stoker.

His former expedition partner has vanished from an archaeological dig with a priceless diadem unearthed from the newly discovered tomb of an Egyptian princ
Published January 16th 2018 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Treacherous Curse, please sign up.
Ashley Stewart This is the 3rd installment of a series, so even though there is not a title yet, people know which book this is, and want to continue reading the…moreThis is the 3rd installment of a series, so even though there is not a title yet, people know which book this is, and want to continue reading the series. Some people might also be a fan of the author and want to read anything new that she comes out with regardless of what it is.(less)
Asteropê How is that sad? I have a few untitled books marked as want to read. Some, though they don't have a title, have a blurb or cover (or have a title, but…moreHow is that sad? I have a few untitled books marked as want to read. Some, though they don't have a title, have a blurb or cover (or have a title, but no blurb or cover or some other combination). I've also marked a book to read and its title was changed 4 times before official publication. My point is, titles aren't always set in stone and they can change, even if they have one, before publication. If you're reading a series and want to read the next book of that series, does it really matter what the book is called? I'd think not. (less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-publisher
4.5 STARS

Finally! If you're a fan of Veronica and Stoker but haven't read the latest installment surrounding their adventures yet, you'll be pleased to hear this was a nearly perfect read. Without spoiling the plot, we have officially come full circle back to Stoker's past and many secrets from the previous two novels are revealed in the third. I found my emotional attachment to our main characters deepened through this adventure, as there was much more emotion and characterization here. Don't
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I LOVE THIS SERIES. Somewhere along the way this has become one of my favorite series. I love Veronica and Stoker so goddamn much. If they don't kiss in the next book I'm going to fUCKING DIE. I'd describe this series as Bones meets Sherlock Holmes. If you're looking for something with extremely intelligent characters (they're both scientists), slow burn romance, Victorian wit, and the intrigue of Sherlock, this is for you.

Me every second of reading:

description
Melisa
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Veronica Speedwell is back, the little spitfire!

Deanna Raybourn can write authentic historical dialogue so beautifully. The language! It just gets me. And the characters she crafts are so wonderful. Veronica is truly going down as one of my all time favorites, she is such an atypical Victorian little saucy, feisty spitfire.

Egyptology plays a large role in the story, it is something I knew to be popular during this time but didn’t know much about. It was definitely interesting to learn more abou
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!

Sometimes it is easy to forget how much you love two characters until you are immersed back into their world and then all those old feelings and thoughts about them resurface and you remember why this is one of your most favorite series and some of your most favorite people.

Veronica and Stoker are those people for me. This series is just so much fun with the Victorian old world London setting, mystery, and of course the adventures that always await these two. Not to mention the chemist
Riley
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
i need the next book right. now.
Cindy Burnett
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Veronica Speedwell ranks at the top of my favorite female protagonist list with Maggie Hope and Ruby Proulx. Veronica is witty, brilliant, likeable and outspoken, and Stoker is the perfect sidekick for her. A Treacherous Curse focuses more on Stoker and his dark and mysterious past, and Veronica and Stoker tackle a mystery that is interesting but a little drawn out. While I really enjoyed A Treacherous Curse, my favorite in the series is still A Perilous Undertakling. The series is a ton of fun, ...more
Juli
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Treacherous Curse is the third book in the Veronica Speedwell series. I absolutely love the main character in this series. Veronica is intelligent, outspoken and strong. Readers looking for a series featuring a strong, female main character will love this series! This third book focuses on Stoker Templeton-Vane. His former partner has disappeared from a dig site along with a priceless artifact from the tomb. Unfortunately, the item is allegedly cursed, causing Anubis himself to appear in Londo ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

Why did I wait so long to read this book? I have no excuses but now that I have finished the book, I know that putting it off for a year was a bad plan. I really enjoyed this installment in the series, probably even more than the previous book. Once I got into this book, I didn't want to put it down because I was completely pulled into the mystery.

The mystery in this book was solid. Veronica and Stoker are trying to find a missing m
✩ Ashley ✩
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I’d love nothing more than a slow burn relationship like Veronica and Stoker! The banter is spot on and the tension is palpable but oh so good. I’m living for the practically-enemies-to-deepest-of-friends-to-are-we-there-yet-[love]!! Stoker is swoon-worthy beyond measure (just ask any side character in the book to literary stop already!), while Veronica is a woman of my own heart. The best part? Stoker would die before changing one bit of her!! Oh, and of course there’s mysteries an
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Storywise do I think this is the strongest and most interesting one so far in this series. Not that the previous two books have been bad, more that I found this book mystery to be much more fascinating to read about, with a less obvious ending than the previous book. This is not a series that you have to read in order to enjoy, but it's a marvelous series so reading in order may be more fun would I think.

Veronica Speedway is such a wonderful character, not always bound to the traditional female
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔

This book is well-paced, well-written and highly engaging. It keeps you guessing from start to finish, trying to put together all the pieces of a rather convoluted puzzle.

Veronica Speedwell is undoubtedly one of my favorite heroines of all time. Intelligent, determined, confident, independent, self-reflective and stubborn, she goes against
Ceki
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it

Doesn't thi
Dianne
Fun, quirky and just shy of “evah-so-propah,” A TREACHEROUS CURSE by Deanna Raybourn is Victorian mystery and adventure at its most entertaining. An ancient mummy’s curse seems to be claiming the members of an Egyptian expedition and the plucky Veronica Speedwell is on the case. A man from Stoker’s past has gone missing, as has a priceless artifact from the tomb of an Egyptian princess. Is this part of the curse? Is Anubis actually walking the streets of London on a mission of revenge?

Veronica i
Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars

Deanna Raybourn continues her series of late-Victorian historical mysteries featuring the intrepid lepidopterist Veronica Speedwell and her piratically handsome, enigmatic associate, Revelstoke Templeton-Vane (Stoker) in A Treacherous Curse.  The big draw of this third instalment was the prospect of at last getting to know more about Stoker’s chequered – and sometimes heartbreaking – past and what exactly happened to turn him into a social pariah w
Lady Wesley
4.5 stars. Funny, moving, exciting, and deftly plotted -- until one twist toward the end struck me as too unlikely to be believed.

If you enjoyed Julia and Brisbane in Deanna Raybourn's excellent Lady Julia series, you will probably like Veronica and Stoker, although they are a totally different couple. Both are mysteries with a touch of romance.

I would recommend that you read the first two installments of Veronica Speedwell mysteries before tackling this one. Since it doesn't come out until nex
Hollis
Snuck this in pretty close to the wire to wrap up 2017. And what a way to go!

"I won't kill a man on his knees."
"There, you see? Stoker has standards."

Right now my brain is just kind of an endless happy-pained shriek (ala the snapchat voice filter) because of that ending. I was sort've warned and I thought I could handle it but oh god I couldn't. I lost it. Raybourn is wicked, totally wicked, and I have to respect her for toying with the fangirls the way she is.

"They disrobed you?"
"They stripped
G.
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

“What is it about the pair of you that you must be so contrary?”
“What is it about the rest of the world that it cannot take us as we are?”

This series is my new Victorian mystery crack. The dynamic between Veronica and Stoker? Looove it. Definitely my favourite thing about this series. I think I might read all three of them again later this year, because I can't wait for the fourth book to come out.
Marla
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Veronica and Stoker are some of my favorite characters. She's a spunky woman in the late 1800's who doesn't care what people think about her. She will go out in public in pants, will tell people what she thinks and will have sex outside of a marriage. this is another great murder mystery to the series. Lots of twists and guessing going on. Definitely recommend this entire series.
Mei
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Another very good story with Veronica and Stoker! I love these two!
And add to that the Egyptian angle and you got me! I'm easy that way! LOL
Denise
Nov 04, 2017 added it
"I have seen evil, and it wears a smiling face."

This third installment of the Veronica Speedwell and Stoker (Revelstoke Templeton-Vane) series is set in London, 1888, and has the pair investigating the untimely disappearance of Stoker's former best friend (who incidentally married his ex wife). Sure, there's bad blood between the two men, but Veronica and Stoker can't resist becoming involved with the circumstances surrounding John de Morgan and the former Caroline Templeton-Vane. He vanished du
☕ Kimberly
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Veronica Speedwell is one of my favorite characters. She is brazen, witty and a free thinker. The banter, and teasing she tortures Stoker with making them the ideal pair. While romantic notions are hinted at between them, the case takes front and center. Each book contains a new mystery, but I recommend starting at the beginning of the series for character development, relationships and because they are fantastic historical mysteries!

A mummy curse, a missing Egyptian artifact, an ex-wife and mis
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
If you could bottle fun, it would end up being a Veronica Speedwell novel. I know this makes no sense but that's kind of the point, because it's similar to the books. Yes, there are many coincidences here that lead to the conclusion of the case, but quite frankly, I don't care because it's fun.

I was sent this arc a few months ago and waited to read until it's a bit closer to the publication date in January and it was hard to wait. I loved the previous two books and I loved this one. Full of ban
The Lit Bitch
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve had my eye on this book since before it even had a title! I finished the second book and immediately started counting the days until this one was going to be released.

Fortunately I had the good luck to be approved for an ARC in Oct, because I literally don’t think I could have waited for the release in Jan 2018!

I would be lying if I said that I didn’t feel somewhat disappointed in this book, and for one reason only–the relationship between Stoker and Veronica. I loved the mystery and intrig
Lena
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E9E73FAD-AA3B-445A-BEA1-F6B765B429F1.jpg

Veronica and Revelstoke are one of my of all time favorite literary couples.

The pain.
The fight.
The intelligence.
The burning unspoken passion!

Deanna Raybourn, you have my number.

Reread: Less than a month was too soon for this reread. The unsightly characters stood out and distracted me from enjoying the main characters. On the bright side, waiting for the next book to arrive in March no longer feels unendurable.
Wanda
I do love sassy, sarcastic Veronica Speedwell! I am caught up now and ready to enjoy the next book in the series, which is due out in March 2019. (Next month! Squee!)

I adore Raybourn’s writing and the particular voice that she has established for Veronica. For example:
“Boys!” I said sharply. “There will be no brawling with your shirts on. Kindly remove your upper garments and give them into my keeping.” Both men turned to look at me, wearing identical expressions of astonishment. Mornaday spoke
Heather
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve quickly become obsessed with this series and now it’s one of my favorites. It’s such a fun mix of adventure, witty banter and mystery. I also really love the relationship between Veronica and Stoker and the way they play off one another, and I need the next book like right now.
Liz
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will save you the time and not rave on again about this book or the series. I will simply say, if you enjoy adventure, mystery, humor, fabulous characters, and a historical setting, then FOR THE LOVE OF GOD READ THESE BOOKS.

There. That wasn't so bad, was it?
Mimi
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still consistently good, still a lot of fun. This is easily becoming one of my favorite series.
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Another delightful adventure with Veronica Speedwell and the delicious Revelstoke Templeton- Vane aka "Stoker" in which our intrepid duo encounters an Egyptian curse and Stoker's personal demons are finally laid to rest. I love the character development in this one and the slow burn in their relationship which is moving steadily to a well deserved and glorious HEA.

Sophia
After starting to make a name for themselves when it comes to landing themselves in the middle of murder investigation adventures, Veronica and Stoker are faced with something a bit more in an Egyptian curse, a missing crown of jewels and a case that brings thing too close to home for Stoker. I was thrilled to get back into the series with this sparkling intrepid pair.

A Treacherous Curse is book three in the Veronica Speedwell series. This series works best when the reader/listener gets them in
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • Scandal Above Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #2)
  • Where the Dead Lie (Sebastian St. Cyr, #12)
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including five RITAs, two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards ...more

Veronica Speedwell (5 books)
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell #4)
  • Untitled (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
“Because there is no power on earth that could make me abandon our friendship. There is no deed you could confess so dark that it would make me forsake you. You said of us once that we were quicksilver and the rest of the world mud. We are alike, shaped by Nature in the same mold, and whatever that signifies, it means that to spurn each other would be to spit in the face of whatever deity has seen fit to bring us together. We are the same, and to leave you would be to leave myself.” 5 likes
“Mrs. de Morgan- How can you stand to be near him now that you know he has taken a life?
Veronica- Because, Mrs. de Morgan, I have taken two.”
3 likes