YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team Adams (S)- Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 271 (271 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Carrie (last edited May 23, 2018 02:36PM) (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Participants:
Carrie ✔
Ashley ✔
Ashleigh ✔
Skye ✔
Sarah ✔
Faith ✔

Review Thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 2: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Checking in! I'm going to add the BRs I currently have planned to the spreadsheet but feel free to move them around as and when people turn up :)

message 3: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Actually, how long do you think it'll be before we complete it the first time? Just thinking for BRs later in the month it would make sense to leave it free for the first flip.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments Checking in!

I was thinking about my later in the month BRs too, it seems like we will be able to turn this board over several times. What does everyone think the best way to do it is? Maybe fill out each round and then whoever finishes it first takes the slot and moves the other one to the second round? I really have no idea!

I will go through and add mine to the sheet when I get to work today!

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Hey Skye, welcome! I was adding things I'll be needing to read so feel free to add whatever you have planned too. Not sure how long it would take us to do 100, it would depend on how quickly everyone reads. I'm sure though we can bump things around if needed.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments I'd say we can add things now to get an idea of what would need to be covered but be open to moving them if someone else is reading faster and can fill the slots so we can flip them.

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Maybe do enough for the first week? I probably have a few more then that but do read 10+ in a week. LOL

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments That’s a good idea Carrie! I like that.

message 9: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments I've added a few in but they'll probably end up bumped as most of the BRs are from the 7th onwards, which is frustrating!

message 10: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Carrie wrote: "I'd say we can add things now to get an idea of what would need to be covered but be open to moving them if someone else is reading faster and can fill the slots so we can flip them."

Definitely the way to go I think! :)

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments By the way, I didn't actually make the spreadsheet, credit for that goes to Natalie I believe on the main thread who said feel free to use so if anyone can think of something to add/take away that may help then I'm open to changes.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments Most of my BRs are later in the month too! I’ll go through the spreadsheet and see what we are still needing and try to find some BRs to fill those slots. I think I only have 2 the first week

message 13: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Taking off for a little bit but I'll be back later to see if anyone else has checked in. :)

message 14: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3374 comments Hi guys! Checking in :)

message 15: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Hi Ashleigh! :)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Blincoe | 130 comments Checking in

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Blincoe | 130 comments FYI I have read all John Greenbooks

message 18: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Sarah wrote: "FYI I have read all John Greenbooks"

Me too!

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments I haven't read any of his books yet! Anyone want to BR Looking for Alaska by John Green and we can use it for the 1st and 2nd flip? Its weird there's no BR's set up for his books yet, unless I am blind

message 20: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3374 comments Ashley wrote: "I haven't read any of his books yet! Anyone want to BR Looking for Alaska by John Green and we can use it for the 1st and 2nd flip? Its weird there's no BR's set up for his books yet, unless I ..."

I haven't read that yet so I'll do a BR with you for that :)

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments @Ashleigh perfect!! What day do you want to start it?

message 22: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3374 comments Whenever, I don't have any BRs planned for June yet. What works for you?

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments If you're both doing it planning for a full board I'd suggest mid-month or so which hopefully we'd be getting the first board covered by then. :)

message 24: by faith (new)

faith (lunaslovelies) | 781 comments checking in!!

message 25: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Welcome Faith :)

message 26: by Adam (new)

Adam | 18 comments How do the teams work? Do u all just read the same book? Is it like a book club type deal for the month? Sorry very new to the group

message 27: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff Adam wrote: "How do the teams work? Do u all just read the same book? Is it like a book club type deal for the month? Sorry very new to the group"

I know I'm not on the team. You can read any books you want. You just have to fit them into any of the categories. You can buddy read books with other members.

message 28: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Adam wrote: "How do the teams work? Do u all just read the same book? Is it like a book club type deal for the month? Sorry very new to the group"

Adam the main challenge thread can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

The rules are at the beginning to that thread but basically Sarah and Abbie divide us into teams and we can read any book we choose that will fit the categories.

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments @ashleigh I have a bunch really close together in the middle of the month, but how about the 8th or so?

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Question for the group - How do you guys think we should handle color coding the spreadsheet that would be easily readable? We have our own colors where our names are on the first page but would that be a bit too much? I was wondering if we should do say one color for currently reading and one for finished just so we know what is being worked on and done in case we get to where we need to move them around.

message 31: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3374 comments @Ashley sounds good to me! I'll request the thread and come back with a link :)

message 32: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments The way my team did it this month which I thought made sense was to colour code for each team member and turn it green when it was done and posted. We could maybe change the text colour or something for currently reading too or have the background be a certain colour if there's one left over! I don't think it's too much, it'll help when knowing which ones to move and which ones to leave.

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments I like the idea for marking them currently reading and done! Is the name color coding you guys are talking about like how it was last month? Or I guess this month still!

I'll go through and add all my page counts today

message 34: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments I really don't mind however you guys want to do it. Thought I would ask though because I joined my team late this month and they had already decided to only use one color when a book is finished because someone complained of it being too bright and hurting their eyes. Of course the one color they picked is an ugly light green that barely stood out from the white open spots so I found it all confusing scrolling around the whole thing looking for unmarked places to slot in books. LOL

On the plus side though no matter how we do it we shouldn't have to scroll to the right to find 2, 3 or sometimes 4 books for one word either this month. We could just leave them white until we finish and then use our colors from the first page to mark them done. Or color them when actually starting a book to show they are active then switch to one color for finished for all of us when it's posted. Whatever you guys decided though I'm fine with. :)

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments I don't mind either. I can live with anything. My color is super ugly though. If I change my color on the first sheet, will it screw up anything in the spreadsheet with the colors? I am not good with spreadsheets at all

Scrolling all the way over for the books this month drove me insane! My computer couldnt handle it at all. This month should be so much easier to track. I like the idea of using our color to mark it as active and then a done color. But anything is fine with me!

Does anyone elses google sheets have that big green thing down in the bottom corner saying "new to sheets!" and you have to click "got it" every time or whatever? Mine has had it for months on all of my computers, its driving me up a wall

message 36: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ashley wrote: "I don't mind either. I can live with anything. My color is super ugly though. If I change my color on the first sheet, will it screw up anything in the spreadsheet with the colors? I am not good wi..."

Ashley wrote: "I don't mind either. I can live with anything. My color is super ugly though. If I change my color on the first sheet, will it screw up anything in the spreadsheet with the colors? I am not good wi..."

I think whoever made them just went across the second row of colors to give it that rainbow look, you could simply move to that last purple-ish slot that's empty if you want. Not sure what other color would be open that wouldn't just be a slight different shade of someone else otherwise though, we don't want to end up all shades of one..... or wait, maybe we do. LOL

And nope, sorry, haven't seen any errors when opening them up on my end. Could be a browser/computer type of thing though.....

message 37: by Ashleigh (last edited May 25, 2018 01:03AM) (new)

Ashleigh | 3374 comments @Ashley here's the link for the BR - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 38: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3374 comments Also, I've added us reading that to the spreadsheet. I've got you down for the John Green book and I've put mine in the book that was first published in March.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments Thank you Ashleigh!

I swapped my yellow color out for the purplish last one. Much better!

message 40: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Ashley wrote: "Thank you Ashleigh!

I swapped my yellow color out for the purplish last one. Much better!"

It probably would have looked better if it were just plain yellow, that shade was kind of ugh. LOL

message 41: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsmedaisy) | 1426 comments Carrie wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Thank you Ashleigh!

I swapped my yellow color out for the purplish last one. Much better!"

It probably would have looked better if it were just plain yellow, that shade was kind of..."

Right!! Yellow is an ugly color to begin with but when you mix some brown in with it, its even worse

message 42: by faith (new)

faith (lunaslovelies) | 781 comments hey, quick question for everyone- one of the books I'm reading in June, Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood fits for both "read a book which has a colour in the title" and "read a book first published in 2007." which one do you guys think I should put it under? because I'm not sure which of the categories would be easier to find another book for.

message 43: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments faith wrote: "hey, quick question for everyone- one of the books I'm reading in June, Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood fits for both "read a book which has a colour in the title" ..."

I have Killer Green Tomatoes I need to read that I don't believe I've added yet so that would fit the color category.

message 44: by faith (new)

faith (lunaslovelies) | 781 comments @Carrie great, thanks !!

message 45: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments No problem. :) They usually let us move things around too if we find we've submitted one under a category that another fits too. Most of these comps turn into big puzzles to figure out how to fill in. LOL

message 46: by faith (new)

faith (lunaslovelies) | 781 comments omg yess- it's really hard trying to fit in all of the books for the May challenge especially!

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Oh I know, I'm going to cringe if I hear that song any time soon. LOL

message 48: by faith (new)

faith (lunaslovelies) | 781 comments AHAHA same ;)

message 49: by ✨Skye✨ (new)

✨Skye✨ | 3163 comments Just to warn you guys while I actually remember, I'll be quiet for the first few days leading up to my university exam on the 5th ☺ After that I have the whole month free though!

message 50: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Good luck on your exam Skye :) Thanks for letting us know too, if Sarah starts looking into those that haven't posted we can let her know although I think she usually does that around the 7th or 8th so you should be fine. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.