Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
This topic is about Thunderhead
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Shusterman Neal; Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe #2) ; Informal Buddy Read Starts 5 July 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31642 comments Mod

Synopsis
owan and Citra take opposite stances on the morality of the Scythedom, putting them at odds, in the second novel of the chilling New York Times bestselling series from Neal Shusterman, author of the Unwind dystology.

Rowan has gone rogue, and has taken it upon himself to put the Scythedom through a trial by fire. Literally. In the year since Winter Conclave, he has gone off-grid, and has been striking out against corrupt scythes—not only in MidMerica, but across the entire continent. He is a dark folk hero now—“Scythe Lucifer”—a vigilante taking down corrupt scythes in flames.

Citra, now a junior scythe under Scythe Curie, sees the corruption and wants to help change it from the inside out, but is thwarted at every turn, and threatened by the “new order” scythes. Realizing she cannot do this alone—or even with the help of Scythe Curie and Faraday, she does the unthinkable, and risks being “deadish” so she can communicate with the Thunderhead—the only being on earth wise enough to solve the dire problems of a perfect world. But will it help solve those problems, or simply watch as perfection goes into decline?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14782 comments Mod
I'm in!
Before it gets to years between books and I forget the entire first book. lol!

message 5: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments Innnnn

message 6: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) WOW!!! That was fast! I love how Tina took charge and made this happen!!!! It would have taken me forever. I will table this for July!

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Ahaha! Thanks Tahima! I hope the dates are okay for you

(Team Tonks)

message 8: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Yeah they are perfect!

message 9: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 1439 comments Just read the first book so I'm in!

message 10: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3118 comments Ashley wrote: "Just read the first book so I'm in!"

Same here

message 11: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments I'm in Team Tonks! So looking forward to this

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm hoping to join in this one.

message 13: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments I am a little behind on my other reads, I hope to start this tomorrow, really looking forward to it!

message 14: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika | 548 comments This one isnt availble at the library currently and i have a ton of other books going so i think i’m bowing out for now. Will definitely pick this up when my piles get a little smaller because omgah scythe was amazing!

Elena  | 1403 comments I got a book and I'll be over but probably not till Monday or so.

message 17: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Ok I didnt start this like I wanted to yesterday but hopefully by the end of today I will make some progress.

@Teri - is this easy to get into reading? I just have read two books almost back to back that were super slow and not that great. I really want this one to be good.

message 18: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Tahmina wrote: "Ok I didnt start this like I wanted to yesterday but hopefully by the end of today I will make some progress.

@Teri - is this easy to get into reading? I just have read two books almost back to ba..."

Yeah, pretty easy to get back into--really enjoying it, I'm only about 50 or so pages in, but it's moving along well

message 19: by Teri (last edited Jul 06, 2018 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Page 124
finished chapter 12
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I've only made it through the first chapter so far, but I have the feeling I will enjoy this one too.

message 21: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Finished Chapter 14 and I'm having an issue!
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm only through Chapter 5 - can't wait to read your spoiler!

Anastasia: (view spoiler)

message 23: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3118 comments Teri wrote: "Finished Chapter 14 and I'm having an issue!
[spoilers removed]"

I'm at Chapter 17. I agree about Rand and Tyger. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri wrote: "Chapter 4

[spoilers removed]"

I agree. Having the Thunderhead as a part narrator is so interesting. I had forgotten the first book was the Scythe diaries!

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jul 08, 2018 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne wrote: "I'm only through Chapter 5 - can't wait to read your spoiler!

Anastasia: [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 5
re: Anastasia

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I'm only through Chapter 5 - can't wait to read your spoiler!

Chapter 5
re: Anastasia

This is a tough one. I think with every other Scythe having ..."

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3118 comments Yikes, this book is even more intense then the first one. I'm on Chapter 39 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3118 comments And I am done. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Teri
Yes that’s so true. She takes her job seriously and acts with respect

message 30: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) @Teri,

Yes I love that we get the thunderheads viewpoints. Its interesting because we are told that its (view spoiler)

message 31: by Teri (last edited Jul 09, 2018 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Page 202

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri wrote: "Finished Chapter 14 and I'm having an issue!
[spoilers removed]"

I totally forgot about her. Great memory!

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jul 10, 2018 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 25

I got to listen to a fair bit today while in the car as I took the kids to the Blue Mountains which is about 1.5 hours away (it is winter school holidays atm).
I played it through my earphones and not the bluetooth though as I wasn't sure what they'd make of all the "deadish" and "gleaning"....lol

I am no good at mysteries, so I still have no idea who (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Through Chapter 15

Tyger (view spoiler)

Greyson (view spoiler)

message 35: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments This book is stressing me out! I’m so unhappy!

message 36: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

End of Part 4 (chapter 29)

I think Shusterman is very clever and I've really loved all his books despite the confronting nature of them.
But this one... I'm feeling it. At this point I kind of need a break and to read something else for a day I think. That Part 4 was a tough Part

message 38: by Teri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teri | 678 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "End of Part 4 (chapter 29)

I think Shusterman is very clever and I've really loved all his books despite the confronting nature of them.
But this one... I'm feeling it. At this point I kind of nee..."

Tough indeed, this whole book stressed me out!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I just finished Part 4 as well - right before bed. Not the best time to be reading it! =)

Elena  | 1403 comments Finished Part 1 (chapter 7) and liking it so far. No idea which direction the story is taking at this point but comments above have me worried a little :)

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Elena wrote: "Finished Part 1 (chapter 7) and liking it so far. No idea which direction the story is taking at this point but comments above have me worried a little :)

."

(view spoiler)

And the comments made me worried too! I will probably finish today - I will be doing some airport waiting, at least if all goes smoothly, which gives me a block of reading time.

message 42: by Geri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I just started this book a few days ago. I’ll definitely join in the buddy read. So far I have read part 1, through chapter 7.

message 43: by Geri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Teri wrote: "Chapter 4

[spoilers removed]"

I agree it’s good to get a new perspective. Regarding Rowan (view spoiler)

message 44: by Geri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Suzanne wrote: "I'm only through Chapter 5 - can't wait to read your spoiler!

I am of two minds about Anastasia (view spoiler)

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri wrote: "Teri wrote: "Chapter 4

[spoilers removed]"

I agree it’s good to get a new perspective. Regarding Rowan [spoilers removed]"

I love this because it is our first insight into how the Thunderhead can follow the rules, but kind of circumvent them even while following them. And clearly he is much more clever than any human and so will always be able to find the loopholes

message 46: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) @Suzanne -- Msg 22 @Karen ⊰✿, Msg 25

Anastasia (view spoiler)

@Teri msg 26: Yeah I agree with that!

@Elena Msg 40:
Thunderhead(view spoiler)

Anastasia: Yes agreed she might be changing things for the better.

Tyga: (view spoiler)

@Geri
Rowan (view spoiler)

Anastasia (view spoiler)

@Karen I agree. I like seeing it go around the rules into gray areas. I also feel like its a she because we tend to be very good at the gray areas (jk)

message 47: by Tahmina (new)

Tahmina (tpopal) Just finished until Part 1. Will finish part two tomorrow. But so far its really good and interesting. And what is up with Rowan's (view spoiler)

Its going to be interesting to see what direction the thunderhead is taking. Its a good additional viewpoint to have.

Tyga(view spoiler)

And TINA where are you!!

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tahmina wrote: @Karen I agree. I like seeing it go around the rules into gray areas. I also feel like its a she because we tend to be very good at the gray areas (jk) ..."

haha. I have the audio with the kindle this time and the narration is male so now I think of the Thunderhead as male, eventhough in the first book I just thought of the Thunderhead as an "it"

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi wrote: "Yikes, this book is even more intense then the first one. I'm on Chapter 39 [spoilers removed]"

I finally got to this point and so was able to read your spoiler ;)

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Geri (last edited Jul 11, 2018 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I agree the Thunderhead is evolving. I guess it has to since its main purpose is the betterment of humanity. Humans are just too complicated for one solution to work.

Finished part 2, through chapter 14. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3