Start by marking “Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)

Thunderhead

(Arc of a Scythe #2)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  93,761 ratings  ·  14,469 reviews
Rowan has gone rogue, and has taken it upon himself to put the Scythedom through a trial by fire. Literally. In the year since Winter Conclave, he has gone off-grid, and has been striking out against corrupt scythes—not only in MidMerica, but across the entire continent. He is a dark folk hero now—“Scythe Lucifer”—a vigilante taking down corrupt scythes in flames.

Citra, no
Published January 9th 2018 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Thunderhead, please sign up.
María Today he revealed the cover of this book and the publication date is expected to be on January 9
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,015 books — 5,576 voters
Circe by Madeline MillerThe Great Alone by Kristin HannahEducated by Tara WestoverWhere the Crawdads Sing by Delia OwensThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Best Books of 2018
1,457 books — 2,745 voters

More lists with this book...

·  93,761 ratings  ·  14,469 reviews

Start your review of Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
Emma Giordano
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Edit 4/7 - After raving about this book for a video review (which you can find here: https://youtu.be/diBtmttjbSs), I decided to raise my rating to 5 stars. Despite that I didn't enjoy Thunderhead EXACTLY as much as Scythe, I feel the book itself is nearly flawless and one of the greatest YA books on the market. This story is too well-written for me to be comfortable giving it any less of a rating.

A very satisfying sequel!! I didn’t enjoy Thunderhead AS MUCH as Scythe (It is a TOUGH book to foll
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

"Scythe Johannes Brahms, you are accused of abusing your position and multiple crimes against humanity."
"How dare you!" Brahms gasped. "Who are you to accuse me?" He struggled, trying to rally strength, but it was no use. The painkillers that were in his system were filling his responses. His muscles were weak and useless to him now.
"I think you know who I am," the young man said. "Let me hear you say it."
"I will not!" Brahms said, determined not to give him the satisfaction. But the boy
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
That cliffhanger though...

Solid read! I liked it more than the first book. If you like political intrigues, you will love this!
Irina
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
EVERYONE GO AND READ THIS BOOK

I can't believe what I just read
THAT CLIFFHANGER

This is quickly becoming my favorite series EVER

I actually thought I will not enjoy this book as much as the first one because the first half was a little boring but the second half was the best thing that I have ever read and that's why this piece of writing deserves a million starts.
I can't remember the last time I was so invested in a story in this way.
I have so many emotions over this book and these characters
Matthew
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who read the first book and loved it!
5+ Stars – EXCELLENT!

Update 12/5/2018 - Should have won the 2018 Goodreads Choice Awards YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy Category! In my heart, it is the winner!

First of all – that cover . . . beautiful! It is one of my favorite covers of the past few years. An improvement on the cover of the first book – and that cover was pretty awesome, too. This cover makes you want to read this book even if you have no idea what the book is about. In this case you can judge a book by its cover!

A fantastic continuation of
Warda
My original review still stands. Shusterman played us. Hard! That ending is one of the best and psychotic endings I’ve had the pleasure of reading.

(view spoiler)

I can't wait to see what Shusterman's brilliant mind has come up with f
Miranda Reads
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
description

Death must exist for life to have meaning.
The Scythedom is still reeling.

In a stunning change of events, both Citra (now scythe Anastasia) and Rowan survived the trial by death...but unfortunately, it was not a cause of celebration.

In response, Rowan has taken up the mantle of Scythe Lucifer - and he has gone completely rogue. Any scythe that has abused his or her power is subject to his judgement.

Citra, a junior scythe, is under Scythe Curie's wing - where she learns compassion and
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”The Thunderhead had managed to achieve something unique in the history of humanity: a bureaucracy that actually worked.”

Well, ain’t that the bitter truth? *lol* What a swipe at politics and society! Neal Shusterman sure knows how to criticize humankind and I’ve yet to read a book in which he makes no use of his –admittedly very accurate - verbal barbs. XD I love all the thoughts that go into his books and it’s really more than just a little amazing to see them on page. Still, no matter how nice
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second time reading and that ending!!!

Still worth every stars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First read: 26/4/18

Hot damn. That ending.

Shit absolutely and unequivocally just hit the fan but... no worries. It’s only a year right?

The cruelty...

I pondered for days over how to rate this (needlessly it seems) because I finally came to my senses.
There’s nothing to overthink here because I am so fucking speechless that I don’t know how I could give this anything less than what it deserves.

NS is. A.
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am dead! This book killed me!! That ending!! Dead. All I will say is that this is becoming one of my absolute favourite series ever. The wait for the next book is going to be brutal.
Tharindu Dissanayake
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Don't mess with Texas"
"Eventually wisdom and reason will prevail."

This is, as best as it could get with a second book in a series. Thunderhead builds upon the solid foundation laid by Scythe, and sets the stage to a whole new series of events. I loved everything about this!

"There is a fine line between freedom and permission. The former is necessary. The latter is dangerous."

The first book of the series proved to be such an interesting read, which made me dive in to this one immedia
jessica
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its 2018, so can we just go ahead and put forth a movement that says cliffhangers qualify as cruel and unusual punishment!? i mean, i will start a petition and everything. whos with me??? because there is no way the ending to this should be legal. its the very essence of torture.

okay. now that i got that out of my system, lets talk about everything other than the last 30 pages. im pretty sure i am in the minority when i say that i didnt think this was better than scythe, but i didnt think it wa
Heather
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Holy freaking crap this was amazing. So many twists and turns and so thought provoking! So amazingly good!
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars, one of my favorite fictional characters are back! Welcome back Citra and Rowan! They’re tougher survivors and they are more connected to the Scythedom madness. Now it’s time to meet with fantastic AI Thunderhead! He is genuine, caring, polite but also righteous, smart, professional enough to achieve the requirements of his position.

I think this is another delicious feast for me which I skipped to devour for so long and finally decide to taste vivid, exciting, adventurous tastes of bo
♛ may
IM GOING TO BE SCREAMING FOR THE NEXT 19 HOURS

WHAT
JUST
HAPPENED

wowowowoowow, okay my dudes, lets get this straight, if you loved book 1, READ THIS RIGHT NOW. if you hated book 1, READ THIS RIGHT NOW.

This. Was. Everything. That. Book. 1. Wasn't.

im actually so amazed, like the characters, the development, THE PLOT TWISTS. THE REALIZATIONS, it was ALL SO. GOOD.

i don't even have words beyond WHERE IS BOOK 3

this is going to be me @ anything related to this book for the rest of the decade
description
C.G. Drews
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay so WOW this was intense and full of plot twists and politics and muRDeR. I mean it is literally a series about a (nearly) utopian world with ordained murders so. I love that and it's also terrifying! This book though! I am a little dazed by tHAT EnDING.

Me: This book looks nice.
Me: The ending looks like it'll wrap up quite nicely with--
Book: [smASHES me in the face with a cliffhanger]

I don't !! even know what to think while I wait for book #3!! AHHHH.

+ The actual plot of this one is kind of
Helen 2.0
Without context, the word Thunderhead could mean a variety of things; for instance, it sounds like it it might be:
-the newest Scandinavian metal band
-a kind of migraine
-something you may overhear a group of college boys bragging about on the subway
-a pagan shrine to Thor

But stupid jokes aside, in Neal Shusterman's world Thunderhead is the ultimate cloud collection of human knowledge, given consciousness and the task of governing Earth. It is a benevolent ruler, having eradicated death, disease,
demi. ♡
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
❥ 5 / 5 stars

Question (10 points)
Is the romance in this book / this trilogy necessary?
Answer —> No.

Everything in the story is already perfect on its own. Even if there’s no romance between Citra and Rowan or other couples, it‘s still completely fine and the book itself can easily make me love it without that.

Therefore, I see no reason why Neal Shusterman need to include romance in the trilogy if he cannot make it good enough or make it at least believable.
(It’s harsh. I know. But
Christina - Recipe & a Read
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, favorites
5 MILLION, Shusterman revived me only to slay me again stars!!!

Full review featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

So if you'll recall for my review of Scythe (book one in this series) Shusterman did a bang up job of literally slaying me with his sheer genius. Well folks, he's done it again - only this time the magnificence of this story literally revived me heart and soul only to kill me once again. You may be asking yourselves: Christina, you're saying this book literally killed you - can that act
Ishmeen
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If I use the term shook like I usually do to describe what I’m feeling right now, it would seriously be an understatement for this book. I loved every. single. page. and I am so glad that it loved up to my expectations of being just as great as Scythe which was one of my favourite reads of 2017 ❤️

I used to think that I wasn't really into dystopia anymore but I reckon it's Neal Shusterman's mind blowing writing style that has made me fall in love with this world! Also can we please come up with
Charlotte May
Hell yes this was awesome!

Also that ending?!? So glad I’ve got the next book already so I can just get started 😊

4.5 ⭐️

“Guard your conscience, Anastasia, and never let it wilt. It is a scythe’s most valuable possession.”

This was a fantastic sequel to Scythe, I loved it!

So Citra (Scythe Anastasia) and Rowan (Scythe Lucifer) are living more or less entering separate lives. Citra is being trained by the infamous Scythe Marie Curie and Rowan is on the run.

Soon Rowan discovers a terribly dark secr
April
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And always with those jaw dropping cliff hangers🙌
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Words... Fail me

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q:
It’s my pleasure to be your displeasure. (c) It's this series' pleasure to be my displeasure.... Though installment #2 happens to be waay better than #1.

A bit more definition added to this world, and still... a lot of key ideas seem to be missing from this society, still.

In this one, Thunderhead discovers it has been a DunderDolt all along. It entertains us with musings of its inherent godliness, the challenges of practicing omnipresense as well as demonstrates its quite possibly first taste o
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5 stars (rounded down) - now if only Goodreads would introduce half star ratings, then I wouldn't have to go breaking mathematical rules to round down, when I am clearly supposed to be rounding up!

“An arrogant head of state gives permission to all nature of hate as long as it feeds his ambition. And the unfortunate truth is, people devour it. Society gorges itself, and rots. Permission is the bloated corpse of freedom.”

​I think I've found another favorite author. I had a feeling after I've r
Hamad
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“Death must exist for life to have meaning.”

🌟 The Toll, the third and final book to this series is out in a couple of days. I recently read scythe and finished this one last month and I am planning to read the finale as soon as I get it. I only recently joined the fandom and understood part of the hype surrounding this series.

🌟 I liked book one a tiny bit more than book two maybe because I was awed by the amazing world building and good wr
Tan Markovic
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5!

Love this world, love the characters, hated/loved that ending.....😖

Need the next book ASAP...
Whispering Stories
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed by Nia on www.whisperingstories.com

I’m so glad that I read this book directly after the first in the series, I was still very much in the zone and this book was absolute perfection.

I felt that Scythe, the first book, was a little slow in the action and pacing department but it turns out that it was all about setting things up for this book – the politics we were introduced to have now taken a dark turn, we learn more about the Thunderhead and its origins, and Citra and Rowan are no
Iben Frederiksen
Thunderhead is every bit as interesting, terrifying and good a story as Scythe. For some reason I simply ended up taking a week long pause when I was about halfway through the book...

Mr. Shusterman continues enriching the world of Scythe when he delves into the Thunderhead, an AI that controls almost everything in the world - everything except the Scythedom. I found this side of the world both really cool but also wicked scary.

All in all just a really good sequel to Scythe, which was an amazing

• Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
See top shelves…
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more

Arc of a Scythe (3 books)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)

Articles featuring this book

The young adult genre continues to lead literature in embracing new voices, championing all types of diversity, and, well, just really...
“Death must exist for life to have meaning.” 196 likes
“if we were judged by the things we most regret, no human being would be worthy to sweep the floor.” 118 likes