Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > June 2018 ~ TBR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Grey (last edited Jun 28, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
The only *rule* for this challenge is that you have to pick a book from your TBR (to be read) file. We want to decrease the size of our back lists, hence the challenge!

June 2018 ~ Leslie's pick ~ The Month of Maryse! (a recommendation off the blog or one of Maryse's favorites!)

OMG! You guys, I am *crazy* excited about this month! Squee! *glitter and confetti* and and and!!! wow! And on another note, how is it June already???

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lisa is reading Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire (Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire) and rated it

Tessa is reading Tight by Alessandra Torre (Tight by Alessandra Torre) and rated it 3 stars,

Nay is also going to read Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire (Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire) and she rated it

Leslie is going to read Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson (Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson) and she rates it 3.5 stars.

Ela is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it 4 stars.

Jean is going to read Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson (Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson) and she rates it 3.5 stars.

Paula is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it

Stephanie is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it

Michele is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it 4 stars.

Grey is going to read The Brave Line by Kate Stewart (The Brave Line by Kate Stewart) and she rates it 4.75 stars!

Bethany is going to read Drive by Kate Stewart (Drive by Kate Stewart) and she rates it

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I'm stoked about this one also - in honor of her, I'm going to read Beautiful Disaster and learn of her love for Travis!!!

message 3: by Tessa (last edited May 22, 2018 08:32AM) (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Oh boy. I wonder if I have any that she loved on my TBR.

Edit - I do! Tight by Allesandra Torre! :D That works.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments *record screeches*

STOP THE PRESS!!!

Lisa, how is it possible you have never read Beautiful Disaster??

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Leslie wrote: "*record screeches*

STOP THE PRESS!!!

Lisa, how is it possible you have never read Beautiful Disaster??"

Because by the time I found you group of lovelies, Maryse's Blog AND Goodreads, it was already an oldie but goodie. And there are so many bright shinies constantly coming up....but I am gonna remedy that in June!!! And find out what all the Travis fuss is about!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Aaah, that makes sense. If you werent a romance reader yet during the slew of indie authors & NA phase then thats why you havent read it yet! Thoughtless, Slammed, Easy, Beautiful Disaster, etc. were all the rage back then.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Count me in - no idea what I will read and I haven’t ready any of my May challenge books either!

message 8: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I only thought B. Disaster was meh for some reason, And I don't understand why because it's so completely my type of book! Maybe I was having a bad week? Maybe I had just finished one of my major faves and for me, it wasn't as wonderful? I dunno, but it really bugs me! I told Maryse that I'd re-read it and give it another chance--maybe now is the time!

Ooh, Paula--lucky for you that you can finish your challenge books in a couple of days! lol

message 9: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I, however, am going to read my tatted tongue cover--probably my favorite cover of all time: Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I have been looking over Maryse's 4.5 & 5 stars, and I *think* I might go with Come to me Quietly Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson

But I do reserve the right to change my mind.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Maybe we can buddy read Beautiful Disaster next month??? And Nay, how come your cover has a tatted tongue (which I find VERY disturbing). Mine has a butterfly in a jar....

message 12: by Nay (last edited May 22, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Because I bought it for $0.99 back in 2011 and that was the original cover.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Leslie wrote: "I have been looking over Maryse's 4.5 & 5 stars, and I *think* I might go with Come to me Quietly Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson

But I do reserve the right to change my mind."

That looks so good - I'll have to wait to see if you read it and what you think!! This Challenge thing always makes me add so many more books, and I want to read what everyone else is picking!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Renee wrote: "Because I bought it for $0.99 back in 2011 and that was the original cover."

Holy shitballs - $.99? Right now it's $9.99 I think. Ahhhh, the price of stardom!!!

message 15: by Nay (last edited May 22, 2018 10:47AM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I would think that most everyone around here originally bought the tatted tongue cover, unless she changed it quicker than I'm remembering.

message 16: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Leslie--I loved Come to Me Quietly (and then Come to Me Softly).

message 17: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Lisa wrote: "Renee wrote: "Because I bought it for $0.99 back in 2011 and that was the original cover."

Holy shitballs - $.99? Right now it's $9.99 I think. Ahhhh, the price of stardom!!!"

You need this book??? I think I have it on all formats!

message 18: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I'll do Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher

message 19: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I love this theme for June! I'm definitely in!

I've had Come To Me Quietly since 2014 based on Maryse's recommendation! I think it's time....I mean 4 years on my TBR.....WTH?!

message 20: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Tessa wrote: "Oh boy. I wonder if I have any that she loved on my TBR.

Edit - I do! Tight by Allesandra Torre! :D That works."

Holy shit?? Really, Tessa!! You haven't read Tight??? Whoa girl, you'll love it. I loved it. Loved. It. Speaking of, is that on my ATF list, I really liked that one, I remember it... which is unusual... *giggle*

message 21: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "I have been looking over Maryse's 4.5 & 5 stars, and I *think* I might go with Come to me Quietly Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson

But I do reserve the right to change my mind."

I have not read this one either... I have to investigate...

message 22: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Grey wrote: "Tessa wrote: "Oh boy. I wonder if I have any that she loved on my TBR.

Edit - I do! Tight by Allesandra Torre! :D That works."

Holy shit?? Really, Tessa!! You haven't read Tight??? Whoa girl, you..."

I was surprised to find that too! I love GR because it tells me what I own and don't. lol I got it for free but would have paid for it. Unfortunately, buying something free means it gets lost in a collection box I probably can't find. :) I even at one point had one for books I really wanted to read now that were free, but that didn't work because it got to be around 200 books... lol

Thankfully, GR lets me make a shelf that tells me I own it and it was free. :P I love GR.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Ela wrote: "I'll do Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher"
Ela - I am going to go with this one too!

message 24: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Paula wrote: "Ela wrote: "I'll do Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher"
Ela - I am going to go with this one too!"

I'LL SET UP A BUDDY READ FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO JOIN!!!!!!!!

message 25: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I need to read Bad Mommy too. And I haven't read Tight either.

Has anyone else been running across older books that they KNOW they put on their 'To Read' shelf, but when you go to look at them, they're not shelved at all? I just found that with Tight--I'm POSITIVE I marked it 'To Read', but when I just now went to it, it wasn't shelved. That's about the 5th book I've noticed like that in the past couple of weeks.

message 26: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I've lost track of what GR does and doesn't....just so over it!

message 27: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
well, I had an issue a couple of weeks ago with the goodreads gremlins saying I was currently reading books that I certainly wasnt... so I feel your pain, Nay...

message 28: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Grey wrote: "well, I had an issue a couple of weeks ago with the goodreads gremlins saying I was currently reading books that I certainly wasnt... so I feel your pain, Nay..."

That's always fun. I always know it's false, though, because there isn't a star rating. The only "read" books that get no-stars are DNF's that hit a hard no or trigger. Not the books fault then, just my issue and I shouldn't have even read it. :)

message 29: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments I think I can do this one as well this month. Just pick something I already have that is mentioned anywhere off the blog or off a favorites list?

message 30: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments Ela wrote: "Paula wrote: "Ela wrote: "I'll do Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher"
Ela - I am going to go with this one too!"

I'LL SET UP A BUDDY READ FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO JOIN!!!!!!!!"

I'll join if it isn't picked for me. I bought this when it first came out and never read it!

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Yes Stephanie, you just need to pick a book off your TBR list that is either one of Maryse's faves or rec'd from the blog and read it in June. Tell us which one you picked and when you finish let us know what you thought. 😁

message 32: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I’m in for “Bad Mommy” too!

message 33: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
no clue on this one... still debating

message 34: by Grey (last edited May 28, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Ok, figured it out. The Brave Line by Kate Stewart The Brave Line by Kate Stewart, which was *only* a 4.5 star by Maryse... but it was on her top 2018 list...and she said it made her cry. And Maryse rarely cries... so yeah. This is one I've had on my list for a while.

message 35: by Grey (last edited May 28, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
So far... this is what we've got...

Lisa is reading Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire (Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire) and rated it

Tessa is reading Tight by Alessandra Torre (Tight by Alessandra Torre) and rated it

Nay is also going to read Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire (Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire) and she rated it

Leslie is going to read Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson (Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson) and she rates it

Ela is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it

Jean is going to read Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson (Come to Me Quietly by A.L. Jackson) and she rates it

Paula is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it

Stephanie is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it

Michele is going to read Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher (Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher) and she rates it

Grey is going to read The Brave Line by Kate Stewart (The Brave Line by Kate Stewart) and she rates it

Bethany is going to read Drive by Kate Stewart (Drive by Kate Stewart) and she rates it

message 36: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Lopez | 40 comments I'll try Drive by Kate Stewart

message 37: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Yay!!! I'm glad we didn't scare you away, Bethany!!! Psst.... if you wanna come into the ATF challenge... it's fun. I promise! You've already mastered the Pick-For-Me challenge!

message 38: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Lopez | 40 comments Grey wrote: "Yay!!! I'm glad we didn't scare you away, Bethany!!! Psst.... if you wanna come into the ATF challenge... it's fun. I promise! You've already mastered the Pick-For-Me challenge!"

Haha! Okay, I'll go check that one out.

message 39: by Steph (new)

Steph | 109 comments Bethany wrote: "I'll try Drive by Kate Stewart"

You'll try it and LOVE IT! (I hope! :) ) It was a 5* for me!

message 40: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Lopez | 40 comments Stephanie wrote: "Bethany wrote: "I'll try Drive by Kate Stewart"

You'll try it and LOVE IT! (I hope! :) ) It was a 5* for me!"

I've heard nothing but great things!

message 41: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments I’ii read Bad Mommy too. I’m in. Seems I can’t find anything I can enjoy.

message 42: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
bump

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I finished Come to me Quietly Come to Me Quietly (Closer to You, #1) by A.L. Jackson 3.5 ***

This is one where if I had read it few years ago, I would have rated it higher. It wasnt bad, I just didnt love it. I now have low tolerence for overly descriptive writing & excessive drama (view spoiler).

But whats great is I get to knock a couple off TBR because I am not continuing with series. Yay!

message 44: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I agree, Leslie. I DID read the first 2 a few years ago and loved them, but then I tried to read the third one much later and couldn't get into it. I've gotten to where unless the writing is just phenomenal, I skip over the flowery crap. Unless it's KA, of course. I could read her writing about throw pillows, furniture, and shoes all day long!

message 45: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, it's funny how our taste changes huh?

message 46: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm starting The Brave Line!

message 47: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Finished Tight 3 stars

Honest truth, I got bored, especially in the beginning. The thriller section of it was well written and well paced, but it just seemed so predictable and I don't know. I liked the ending though. That made me smile.

message 48: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
omg...so far, i am LOVING The Brave Line.. like whoa, I may be getting my reading mojo back because I didn't want to put it down. yayyy!!!

message 49: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments *glitter bombs Grey*

Yay!! It is awesome when you get your book mojo back. 😁

message 50: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Grey, I think I might want to read that one too.....

« previous 1