Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

All the Crooked Saints
This topic is about All the Crooked Saints
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Stiefvater, Maggie ; All the Crooked Saints ; Informal Buddy Read; Starts 14 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31634 comments Mod

Synopsis
From bestselling author Maggie Stiefvater, a gripping tale of darkness, miracles, and family. Saints. Miracles. Family. Romance. Death. Redemption.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Whoop! Thank you mods!

- Team Tonks

Lexi | 3115 comments I'm in too. Just requested from the library. (Team Lupin)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Lexi! Do you think you'll be starting this soon? How many other buddy reads are you doing?

Lexi | 3115 comments Just finished other buddy read so starting today.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Awesome! I'll start within the hour

message 9: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jun 22, 2018 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Chapter 1 - 2

So far I'm liking. I stopped as I'm getting drowsy. We're still getting to know the characters at this point so I can't say much about them.

(Team Tonks)

message 10: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments I love the authors way with words. There are some quotes and ideas that really just stick. My favorite are that owls are attracted to miracles, and the idea of yet being on the dogs faces. I am now over half way
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid | 171 comments I'm in!! I love Maggie Stiefvater!

message 12: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid | 171 comments Tina wrote: "Chapter 1 - 2

So far I'm liking. I stopped as I'm getting drowsy. We're still getting to know the characters at this point so I can't say much about them."

The first few chapters I was still a little confused and trying to get my bearings as to what is going on. So far I like it and can't wait to see what happens.

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments I'm starting this later today!

message 14: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3115 comments I finished. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't the overall plot but the individual people and their stories, as well as how clever it was written. I also loved the owls.

message 15: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid | 171 comments I just finished it. I was expecting something different but I did enjoy it. I loved how the stories worked together. I really liked the owls!

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I'm still struggling to get into this! I'm only on page 74...

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I wanted to read this and just couldn't fit it in; too many buddy reads not enough time. Why, why does work need to cut into reading time ?

message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Finally getting into this- I'm really liking it. I love the casual magic/supernatural elements. I'm a fan of Stiefvater so I was expecting to like the book, but I'm actually liking this one more than some of her others. I'm not very far into it yet though.

Up through chapter 3 now- I'm loving the different characters, and the way everyone is introduced. You get a hint of who everyone is, and then it's fleshed out bit by bit.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I finally finished it this morning. What was bothering me the most was the use of 'miracle' throughout the book.
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Ingrid (new) - added it

Ingrid | 171 comments Tina- It took me a while to get into it too. There were so many characters, which caused so much backstory and not enough real story, in my opinion.

(view spoiler)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I agree Ingrid! This book put me in a slump for a week. I just wanted to finish it to read my other books for B.R. but it was so hard to get in to! I think I only really got into it 2/3 in the book

I don't think I kept track of all the family members let alone 'pilgrims', or gave them much thought.

Reading this felt a bit like the tone in the Raven Cycle series.

But, I also felt like it was trying to hard.

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart

Okay, I am lost!
I am up to Chapter 4, and I am surely lost as to what is happening and more importantly 'why'?

I loved how the book started with the three cousins out in the desert, and I was certainly hoping something less phantasmagorical and more emotive with fantasy sprinkled around. I guess, that is what is ruining the experience for me at this stage. I need a reset!

I am not the biggest fan of books with loads of characters. It takes away from the fun of enjoying a character's journey, because the author can't effectively carve a path for everyone in the 300 odd pages they have. This seems to be suffering from that same issue. Although, I am barely 30% in, and I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I seriously need this book to give me a big boost, right about now!

message 23: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Finally got around to finishing this one- got sidetracked by a bunch of other books.

I think I might be the odd one out here, because I actually liked the big cast of characters. I liked seeing how their miracles relate to their problems, and how they get tied to the other problems circling the area.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Tina wrote: "I finally finished it this morning. What was bothering me the most was the use of 'miracle' throughout the book.
I couldn't understand why 'miracles' were being used and it just defeated the purpo..."

It actually reminded me of Greek myths where people are saved by being turned into trees or flowers- or stuff like that. Maybe it's jsut another idea of what a miracle is, or could be.

message 25: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Apoorv wrote: "Team Gilderoy Lockhart

Okay, I am lost!
I am up to Chapter 4, and I am surely lost as to what is happening and more importantly 'why'?."

It took me awhile to get into the books too, but about halfway through I got hooked. So it's worth sticking with it