Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
This topic is about Truly Devious
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Johnson Maureen ; Truly Devious ; Informal Buddy Read Starts 20 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 14, 2018 03:01PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31608 comments Mod

Synopsis
Ellingham Academy is a famous private school in Vermont for the brightest thinkers, inventors, and artists. It was founded by Albert Ellingham, an early twentieth century tycoon, who wanted to make a wonderful place full of riddles, twisting pathways, and gardens. "A place" he said, "where learning is a game."

Shortly after the school opened, his wife and daughter were kidnapped. The only real clue was a mocking riddle listing methods of murder, signed with the frightening pseudonym, Truly Devious. It became one of the great unsolved crimes of American history.

True-crime aficionado Stevie Bell is set to begin her first year at Ellingham Academy, and she has an ambitious plan: She will solve this cold case. That is, she will solve the case when she gets a grip on her demanding new school life and her housemates: the inventor, the novelist, the actor, the artist, and the jokester. But something strange is happening. Truly Devious makes a surprise return, and death revisits Ellingham Academy. The past has crawled out of its grave. Someone has gotten away with murder.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 14, 2018 03:02PM) (new) - added it

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

r

Elen | 1107 comments I'm in. Team Hermione Granger. :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Hey, everyone *waves a teammate Elen*

I'm in and I am also on Hermione Granger :) Just trying to figure out this challenge. LOL

I already picked up my book today, so I am ready!

Geri | 2042 comments Hi Vicki and Elen! The book is available on Hoopla. So I can read it at any time. Looking forward to reading this!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Hoopla? Hmmm...sounds interesting. Is that a free book site?

I'm looking forward to this one, which I decided to read based on 2 things: the title (the word "devious") and the beautiful blue cover. I haven't read the synopsis yet and most likely won't.

In for Team Hermione Granger.

Geri | 2042 comments Vicki wrote: "Hoopla? Hmmm...sounds interesting. Is that a free book site?

I'm looking forward to this one, which I decided to read based on 2 things: the title (the word "devious") and the beautiful blue cover..."

Hoopla and Overdrive are digital websites that my library uses. There is no waiting on Hoopla, just a limit of 8 borrows a month.

Looking forward to reading this too!

Geri | 2042 comments Hey Vicki and Elen! Are we still on to start soon? I may be a day or two late to start. But I will be reading this book.

message 10: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Geri wrote: "Hey Vicki and Elen! Are we still on to start soon? I may be a day or two late to start. But I will be reading this book."

Geri, I just got the book from the library, so I definitely will be reading. I really hope to start tomorrow, but probably I will start 1 day later.

message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Great, Elen! I will start tonight for sure. And should be ready to discuss the first few chapters tomorrow.

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Elen - Have you started the book? I started last night. I hoped to get farther. But was too sleepy and only listened to the first 5 chapters. I am finding it interesting. The characters are interesting. Writing is good too. (view spoiler)

How are you liking the mystery?

message 13: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments I started the book and I am 50% (15 chapters) done. I want to read, read and not stop, but it's too late here so I have to have some sleep.

I love the book, it's so smooth and well written that I just can't stop and want to read and find out everything.

(view spoiler)

I really like the idea of school: (view spoiler)

I agree about Hayes - (view spoiler)

I really like the past mystery and the present one too. And I have the feeling that they are somehow connected maybe??

message 14: by Elen (last edited Jun 22, 2018 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Geri, What do you think about school? Characters? Mystery?

I really like the fact that all of them have some "cool or even weird" talent.

message 15: by Lexi (last edited Jun 23, 2018 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments I finished a bit a go but am interested in what you all think.
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Elen wrote: "Geri, What do you think about school? Characters? Mystery?

I really like the fact that all of them have some "cool or even weird" talent."

I finished chapter 14 so far. It’s getting more interesting. I like getting to know the characters better. They each have different talents and backgrounds. I agree, Elen, that the school is unique. It would be great if a school like this existed. (view spoiler)

I will read more tonight.

message 17: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Lexi wrote: "I finished a bit a go but am interested in what you all think.
[spoilers removed]"

I’ll read your spoiler when I finish!

message 18: by Elen (last edited Jun 24, 2018 04:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Geri wrote: "I finished chapter 14 so far. It’s getting more interesting. I like getting to know the characters better. They each have different talents and backgrounds. I agree, Elen, that the school is unique. It would be great if a school like this existed."

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Elen, I read through chapter 26 last night. Interesting theories about David and Dottie! (view spoiler)

message 20: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Geri wrote: "Elen, I read through chapter 26 last night. Interesting theories about David and Dottie! "

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments I really liked that this book mentioned some books, like Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, Earthsea Cycle.

message 22: by Elen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elen | 1107 comments I finished! I really liked the book - writing style is beautiful, the story is well written and you want to read non stop. Yes, this story is not like Agatch Christie has, but it's more for nowadays kids :)

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Elen wrote: "I finished! I really liked the book - writing style is beautiful, the story is well written and you want to read non stop. Yes, this story is not like Agatch Christie has, but it's more for nowaday..."

I finished too! The book description said this would be like an Agatha Christie novel, but this was nothing like an Agatha Christie book, in my opinion. The characters were a little too superficial for me too. I wish they were better written. (view spoiler)

Well, thanks for reading this with me, Elen! You were right about David and his father! Good guess!

message 24: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Lexi wrote: "I finished a bit a go but am interested in what you all think.
[spoilers removed]"

I agree, Lexi with all your points! (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I think I'm just a wee bit late, but I'm going to read the spoilers as I get to them and add my own comments anyway. Sorry everyone!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Okay, normally I don't mind a cliffhanger, but not that kind of cliffhanger. What the heck was that? It seems like it's the kind that says you have to buy the next book.

Overall I liked the book, but I felt that the (view spoiler)

Ella (view spoiler)

David (view spoiler)

Larry (view spoiler)

I have to admit that I am going to read book 2 asap.