Start by marking “Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)

Truly Devious

(Truly Devious #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  52,498 ratings  ·  9,586 reviews
Ellingham Academy is a famous private school in Vermont for the brightest thinkers, inventors, and artists. It was founded by Albert Ellingham, an early twentieth century tycoon, who wanted to make a wonderful place full of riddles, twisting pathways, and gardens. “A place,” he said, “where learning is a game.”

Shortly after the school opened, his wife and daughter were kid
Published January 16th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Truly Devious, please sign up.
Kasia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Molly Just finished the book. There's nothing supernatural, just a classic YA mystery novel.

·  52,498 ratings  ·  9,586 reviews

Start your review of Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
chai ♡
Me: *reads the last page and closes the book with a loud thump*

Me, in a Buzzfeed Unsolved voice: with that in mind, let’s get into the THEORIES.

First of all, if I think about it hard enough, my physical form isn't even an objective fact of the universe and if I want the sequel to this book right now, I should have it.

Second of all, I still don't have the barest idea of who did it....but I suspect aliens were involved.

So, what’s this book about?

At Ellingham Academy, Stephanie “Stevie” Bell fi
Emma Giordano
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK. If you need a new YA mystery novel, this is the one for you! Truly Devious totally took me by surprise. I had no idea I would love this book as much as I did!

Cw: murder

I loved our main character, Stevie. I wish this book existed in high school so that I could have had a female protagonist interested in true crime to relate to. I feel Stevie is extremely competent, self-aware, and has a really great head on her shoulders. I also loved her best friends, Janelle – we need more b
megs_bookrack
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy FREAKING cliffhanger ending!!!

I am actually happy I put off reading Truly Devious for almost a year after it was released, because honestly, I don't think I could have waited for the sequel.

Well played, Maureen Johnson. Well played!

Ellingham Academy, set in the remote mountains of Vermont, is a private school for gifted students. The school was founded by the wealthy industrialist, Albert Ellingham, at the turn of the 20th Century.

This posh Academy offers up an environment where learning i
jessica
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
i swear, there is no better feeling in the world than getting to a big reveal in a murder mystery and being able to shout, ‘I KNEW IT!’

maybe that makes the story too predictable and easy, but wow, what a confidence boost and what an enjoyable book!

for a plot revolving around a murder, this is surprisingly... light? the story has a very easy going and game-like feel to it. this is also a slow burn mystery (nothing really happens until about halfway in), but its done in a really effective way whe
Melanie
“A girl from Pittsburgh came to Ellingham Academy and she wanted to see a dead body. She got her wish.”

Friends, you’d think a book that is centered around two different murders would be a lot more exciting and enjoyable to read. I know I sound harsh already, but I just really thought I was going to love this one. But I truly only ended up loving the atmosphere of the setting and the amazing anxiety rep. That’s it.

This story stars a young girl named Stevie, who just got invited to at
Kai
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Love the story, hate the love interest.

I read this book in a single day. Granted, I spent almost 7 hours on a train and had no evening plans so it was just me and the book and no one else for a whole day but I'm not gonna complain. It was a good day, and I say that despite hating spending more than 90 minutes on any mode of transport, be it trains or planes.

I though it was an extremely good start for a mystery series. The setting is exciting as it is a super rich boarding school for the very tal
daph pink  君は
Truly devious:- ⭐⭐.15/5
Vanishing stair :- ⭐.75/5 Read review here
Hand on wall :- ⭐⭐.5/5 read review here

*Spoiler alert*

Yeah so oh boy , I just read this renowned, esteemed, honoured and lauded book that everybody was asking me to read when I last wrote in my review to suggest me a good y/a mystery thriller book.

And please, to people who asked me to read this, just shoo go away you may not be able to Handle this!

And also the people who haven’t still read this please go away because there ar
emma
JOHN GREEN, PAY ATTENTION. This is how you write a cool mystery-y book with quirky teens without making me want to die.

Okay, John Green, you can stop reading now. I think it would make me uncomfortable if you read the rest of this review, considering the mean things I’ve said and the mean things your fans have said to me in the comments of my mean things. We just have too much backstory.

Now, for the rest of you!

WHAT A FUN RIDE.

As soon as I heard this book was “unsolved murder mystery at boarding
Chelsea Humphrey
I thought this was fine, but it definitely felt more middle grade than young adult to me while reading.
Kassidy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Um what?!?! I need book 2 right now. The end was such a teaser, things were just starting to come together. I need answers! Haha
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2020, 2019, anxiety
1.) Truly Devious ★★★★★
2.) The Vanishing Stair ★★★★.5
3.) The Hand on the Wall ★★★★.75

-----------------------------------------------

HELLO, THIS IS MY NEW OBSESSION.
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Three a little disappointed but still determined enough to give a chance to the second book of trilogy stars.

Firstly what I liked about this book:
Curiosity didn’t kill the cat but intrigued a dog lover like me, mostly I’m really wondering the correlation between the murders in the past and now! So I want to learn more! The series still keep my attention and last half was real page turner.

I always enjoy murder mysteries. I liked references of Christie and Conan Doyle books, methods of solving m
April
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
That cliffhanger though.
C.G. Drews
I have come to the conclusion that murder-mysteries that aren't standalones and therefore don't wrap up in one book are very stressful. I have QUESTIONS and no answers and also no sequel in my cold clammy paws. Dammit, universe.

Anyway this was my first time reading a solo book by Maureen Johnson! I definitely enjoyed this! I read her short story in Let it Snow and can 100% confirm that I remember nothing because it was like, um, 4 years ago that I read it. Anyway this reminded me a ton of John G
Ashley Nuckles
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I buddy-read this with one of my friends who doesn’t read much because I’d heard it was good and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T READ AND SOMEONE ELSE (me) WHO DOESN’T LIKE SUSPENSEFUL MYSTERY THRILLERS WE BOTH REALLY WANT TO GET TO THE SEQUEL RIGHT THIS SECOND!!
Tatiana
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of A Study in Charlotte
Updated

So I've performed a fit of astonishing perseverance and read the whole book. Was it worth the effort? Not really, but I am at least ready to discuss details with my book club mates.

It's not that this novel is bad. I don't think it is. It's an ok mystery, with historical flashbacks that are much more compelling than present day obnoxious kids mucking about. But it's just so very boring. The main character is boring, the students are precocious and boring, they talk about boring things and
Erin
3.5 Stars

I don't think I'm suppose to like this book. I mean I should like it and I did like it but I don't know why I liked it.

The plot sounds great Stevie is a True Crime fanatic (something we share in common) who's bookcase is filled with the great detective novels, such as Sherlock and Poirot. She listens to True Crime podcast and is obsessed with the ID channel (again something we share in common) and hopes to become an FBI agent when she grows up. Stevie applies to and is accepted into El
Cristina Monica
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was a twisted ride. I found it entertaining and original. Maureen Johnson is a decent writer. However, I am not fan of her characters. This is my second book from her and I'm not in love with any of her heroines. They aren't dislikable. Just… there. But I did oh so enjoy the mystery plot and the idea of incorporating riddles. Looking forward to reading book two. That cliffhanger. Ouch.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Okay, I love Stevie and her love of sleuthing. I’m not sure how I feel about it overall. I did enjoy most of it; that shit end though! 🤨 Other than that, I have no words!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

This was..... ridiculous.
Larry H
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Stevie Bell has always been a bit different than her peers, much to her parents' chagrin. Much of her childhood and teenage years have been spent feeding her obsession with true crime and mysteries. Her parents wanted her to do the things "normal" teenagers do—hang out with friends, participate in extracurricular activities, maybe even date. But what Stevie wants more than anything is to solve crimes, to one day be as revered as some of the legendary detectives she loves reading about.
chan ☆
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya-contemporary
a main character bold enough to knock herself unconscious when her anxiety gets to be too much

this book was much better than i was expecting, thank the fucking lord. i've read a couple of maureen johnson's other books and haven't ever been very impressed. this one kind of changed my mind about her.

basic premise is that a wealthy 1930s tycoon starts a free school for children in the mountains of vermont where he also hosts small but lavish gatherings with the rich and famous. said tycoon's wife a
Hamad
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, e-books
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

“You have to take things as they are, not how you hear they’re supposed to be.”

🌟 I usually read contemporaries or mystery/ thriller novels when I want to take a break from the Fantasy genre! This was like 60% Mystery and 40% Contemporary and I am not sure if that was a good combination.

🌟 The writing style was good, not too poetic, not too bland! It was right for a story of this kind. I think w
Shaun Hutchinson
I really enjoyed Truly Devious, but it wasn’t a complete story. There’s not a single story arc in this book that comes to a conclusion, and that’s frustrating as hell. The book simply ends mid plot. I should have known better because the same thing happened with the Shades of London series.
jv poore
I love Maureen Johnson. Truly. And I thought this book was fast-paced, captivating and overall exciting and entertaining.

But. I'm either an idiot, a complete jerk, or possibly both, because this bugs me: a character is referred to as "Truly Devious" based on a letter which was 'signed' "Truly, Devious". This makes me think that "Truly" was the closing (in lieu of "Sincerely") and "Devious" was the writer, so the character would just be "Devious" or perhaps a tongue-in-cheek "Truly, Devious". Ma
Alaina
I HATE CLIFFHANGERS PEOPLE!

So when I went to the bookstore and saw this book I didn't even second guess when it landed in my hands and I handed over money like a robot buying books. It's like I woke up from my haze the next day and had no idea how many books I bought. I should probably stay away from book stores.. but we all know that would never happen. I might die!

Okay so the beginning of Truly Devious was truly amazing. I was hooked instantly. It reminded me of so many previous books, movies,
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
***want to binge read something good? This trilogy is perfect 😘

Picked up this one like two or three times before, it's interesting and all that. Somehow I am not a big mystery reader and I thought that the book would go on forever. And then I thought the anxiety issues and the panic attacks of the main character weren't handled well when it comes to the attitude of the adult characters towards these.
The first half is a bit too slow for me.
Other than that, this was a perfect read.

I absolutely lo
Dayla
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an advanced reader copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

WHAT DID I JUST READ?! How did that ending happen? Vague answers, hints at something conclusive, but left with almost...nothing? I’m so confused and kind of pissed off. What did I just read? Was I truly waiting for a semi-decent conclusion when all I got was a “to be continued”? I get that it’s the first in a series, but seriously, what the actual living f*%# did I read? At least give us a decent conclusion!

The bui
Lauren Lanz
Stevie and her way of overanalyzing things reminds me of my tired brain trying to grasp the concept of earth on a Monday while sitting in class.

• A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Sadie
  • The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • The Last of August (Charlotte Holmes, #2)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Radio Silence
  • The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes, #3)
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • Clap When You Land
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • With the Fire on High
Maureen knew from an early age she wanted to be a writer. She went to high school at an all-girls' Catholic school and graduated from University of Delaware with a degree in writing. She now lives and writes in New York City.

Many of the adventures Maureen's characters face in her books are based on real-life stories. Maureen has traveled all over Europe, and is a Secret Sister to vlog brothers Han

Truly Devious (4 books)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Box in the Woods (Truly Devious, #4)

Articles featuring this book

The young adult genre continues to lead literature in embracing new voices, championing all types of diversity, and, well, just really...
“Where her books were, she was. Get the books right and the rest will follow. Now she could address the rest of the room.” 65 likes
“You have to take things as they are, not how you hear they're supposed to be.” 60 likes