EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > Week 17 Check in

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 914 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!

Actually posting on a Thursday this time.

Lovely weather here in Michigan, so glad to see it! Hope others are getting some good weather too!

This week I finished:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Book recommended by someon doing the popsugar challenge, recommended by Stephanie. It's also my ATY book with A, T & Y in the title. I feel a little bad, I really wanted to love this, but I just didn't. I liked the beginning well enough, but around page 300 I was gong .."why am I not even half through this yet?". Even after finishing, I kind of feel like it could have skipped over 200+ pages in the middle. I'm guessing it's another case of me not really connecting with the main thrust of what the author was doing. I just was there for a cool story about the start of the comic industry, and I didn't really feel connected to the characters that much to feel like I needed an exhaustive look into their lives. Kind of felt like when I was reading game of thrones, I was going "please just tell me about the magic and dragons, and skip over all the politics and relationship drama". Sorry Stephanie!

A Study in Scarlet Women - This was an audio book, so was listening to it while cross stitching. I really liked it! It's my read harder mystery by a person of color or lgbt author. I liked that while there were enough familiar notes in the story to say "oh yes, I get that reference", it was it's own story enough that it wasn't just a boring retread. I also really liked the perspective of intelligent women who are stifled by the restrictive society they are living in.

Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots - I love this comic. The art is so beautiful and the story is great. Stopped at a comic shop downtown and stocked up a bit.

Currently reading:
The Red Tent - This is my popsugar bestseller from the year I graduated high school. I didn't love the selection I had to pick from, so i wasn't really looking forward to this. I'm liking it more than I expected, there's a lot of sumerian mythology and it's interesting seeing people I recognize from the Joseph story, from the perspective of the seldom-mentioned sister Dinah.

Anyone have a favorite book of the year yet? Or any that you just can't wait to read?

message 2: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 173 comments Finished Uncle Tom's Cabin. Made good progress on The Satanic Verses. Will definitely be digging into shorter, lighter fare after that pair is done.

I suppose my favorite so far this year has been The Picture of Dorian Gray, simply because I was surprised at how much I loved the writing (I'd utterly hated The Importance of Being Earnest in high school).

I'm looking forward to restarting Neverwhere.

message 3: by Susan (last edited Apr 27, 2018 04:33AM) (new)

Susan LoVerso | 334 comments I just picked up The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women for the book club at the library. I have not started it yet.

But while there I also picked up Cringeworthy: A Theory of Awkwardness which I also have not started.

The third non-fiction book, the one I *have* started is Accidental Brothers: The Story of Twins Exchanged at Birth and the Power of Nature and Nurture. I remember seeing a news story on this a few years ago. It was a (long) article in the NYT Magazine. It was fascinating at the time. It is about two sets of identical twin brothers in Colombia that were separated at birth where one of each got sent home to the wrong family. Both families then thought they had fraternal twins. One family was raised in urban Bogota and the other on a rural farm. It is an interesting read about nature versus nurture. I am looking forward to reading more of this.

I actually have all 3 of my BOTM club selections that I chose unread. My daughter got it for me as a Christmas gift. But lately the non-fiction has been piquing my interest. I'll get to those fiction books as soon as I can. But I own them so they're not going anywhere. They're the ones I cannot wait to read.

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 914 comments Mod
I realized I forgot to answer my own question!

I think The Bear and the Nightingale and Britt-Marie Was Here were probably my favorites so far this year. They were very enjoyable, and I still remember them.

I'm really looking forward to reading Children of Blood and Bone, which I have out from my library. Trying to finish the red tent first, because it's only got a couple days before it expires, and then will move onto it. Trying to not expect it to be THE BEST BOOK EVER so I don't get overhyped, but I've been hearing a lot of great things about it.

message 5: by Cara (new)

Cara (thinkc) | 10 comments This week I finished The Battle for Skandia after reading a quick short story, Mitosis. I liked Battle for Skandia and am enjoying the Ranger's Apprentice series as a whole. Mitosis was a bit of a let down only in that it was so short that I hated it going so fast!

I'm now trying to finish Bandwidth, which is my book recommended by someone else. Husbot asked me to read it, and I had a VERY hard time getting into it (so much so that I put it down for a week to read the others above) mostly because the writing is fairly awful. It's like someone told the author to add more description, so he swallowed a thesaurus. But it finally seems to have picked up, so I will hopefully finish it soon.

I also started Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, which is my book that was on my list for 2017 but I didn't get around to. Hopefully by the time I'm done with those, my hold on the second in the Discovery of Witches series will be up!

My favorite book of the year so far is Steelheart. It's been a long time since I was that drawn in and excited by a story! I'm looking forward to reading more Brandon Sanderson.