Start by marking “Mitosis (The Reckoners, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Mitosis (The Reckoners, #1.5)

Mitosis

(The Reckoners #1.5)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  30,557 ratings  ·  1,857 reviews
Steelheart may be dead, but Epics still plague Newcago and David and the Reckoners have vowed to fight back.
Published December 3rd 2013 by Delacorte Press

·  30,557 ratings  ·  1,857 reviews

Start your review of Mitosis (The Reckoners, #1.5)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
The shorter a Sanderson read is, the less impressed I am with myself if I figure out the twisty paths of that man's genius mind . . .

That being said, I GUESSED THE TWIST AGAIN!!! *gloats* *booty shakes*

Anyway, MITOSIS was a short entertaining story that gave just a (possible) hint more insight into the mysterious ways of Epics. PLUS, you know, there's all the horribly hilarious metaphors a la David. Highly recommended.

My other reviews for this series:

Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)
Firefight
Berit☀️✨
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars for this short action packed novella... from the reluctant reader and me

This was a enjoyable short story that gave me an appreciation for hotdogs! It also appears to be a necessary or maybe a better word is helpful bridge to the next book in the trilogy....

In this book we learn how the Reckoners have shed light (literally) on the city of newcago... and we are introduced to a new Epic Mitosis who has a very cool power of dividing as many times as he wants....

A short read, but I think
Hasham Rasool
I have only read this book for 1 hour!

It is very entertaining and fun! Alhamdulillah.

I love this book so much Alhamdulillah.

I am off to 'Firefight' Alhamdulillah!
Alejandro
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great short story!

Set after of the events on the book Steelheart, now you can starting to understand the new role that The Reckoners must take after taking hard decisions at the end of the first novel.

Any action has consequences, and now The Reckoners know that anything that they, or some of its team, may done, will have sequels.

It was a brief reading but it has a great final act, so I was quite glad of having read this short story.

I opted not to comment more about this reading to
Sean Barrs The Ultra Vegan
Firstly, let me say that I do love the Reckoners series. Brandon Sanderson has such a stylish way of writing Davids story: the prose is short, snappy, and brilliant. This short story also manifests the same flair. But, when considering its structure, reader investment and contribution towards this series, then it can only be thought of as a waste of time. There, I actually said it. Brandon Sanderson has actually written something that I dont like. I never thought Id live to see the day because ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
The best way to describe this very short story is.. meh.

I don't know if it will add anything to the series (I'll update after reading book 2) but I wasn't feeling it.
It was okay!
Mario
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Why is this so short?!?!?! Well it is a SHORT story, but still...

Solid bridge between first and second book. Now off to Firefight. Can't wait for my mind to be blown again.
Robin (Bridge Four)
This is a super short novella involving how the city has changed after the ending of Steelheart. It is not necessary to read for the next Novel but it probably just ~30 minutes of reading time if you have some time to kill.

The Good: We get a glimpse of how the people in the city are changing and a few bad metaphors from David.
I like it. The colors are different. Not like the city was before Calamity, but also a big change from how it was under Steelheart. They make the city look like a big
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

An impromptu buddy read with BB&B

A fast, light and delightful short story, which fits between the first and second books of the series. It was definitely on the comedy side of Sanderson and a transition from the tyranny of Steelheart to the effort of being human governed. People are still uncomfortable with the thought of the possibility of being free...

Don't attempt reading if you have not read the first volume, but if you have, definitely a fun addition'-) Have a great time
Rosanna
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Do not read the blurb for this book if you haven't read and are planning to read book one. Major book one spoiler
And if you haven't read book one.... Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

I'm so happy to be back in Newcago! Even if it was for only 35 pages, it was 35 pages of humor, action, characters I love, and a new Epic to tie me over until book 2.

Loved it!

Scott  Hitchcock
Quick, fun read. Gave a few hints toward the series. Found one inconsistency that bothered me. (view spoiler)
Alexa
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, scifi
Short and action packed. It's not a must before Firefight, but it gives a clue about Epics and their weaknesses! And we get more of David's terrible metaphors. :D
Nimrod Daniel
A nice short story that bridges the time between book 1 and 2 with a new epic coming to Newcago in order to mess things up after the drastic change the city had gone through. David find a lead regarding the weakness of epics.

4.25/5
Jenny Baker
This is a nice addition to the Reckoners series. The audiobook has a great narrator and it's short. It's only an hour long and that's if you listen to it at regular speed. There isn't a lot I can say without giving anything away. The beginning was funny and the end circles back around. I enjoyed the interaction between David and Mitosis! This has major spoilers in it so you definitely need to read Steelheart first.
Kells Next Read
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great as with all Sanderson's Work but way too short. Always want more when it come to him.
Gavin
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a tiny novella set after the events in Steelheart. It provided a quick glimpse of what life is like in a post-Epic Newcago. The Reckoners are in charge for now, but the populace are wary and fearful that it is only a matter of time before a new Epic appears to claim the city.

In this novella David and the Reckoners fend off the first of the Epics to make a try. The self replicating one man army Mitosis.

This was a fun read. It has served its purpose of hyping me up to read Firefight!

Edward Lorn
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Reckoners' fans
Recommended to Edward by: Audible
"Why'd ya read it, E.? Thought you hated the first book?"

You'd be right. I did hate the first book. But, you see, I got a code for the audiobook and... well, here, read this:

I read this because the Epic, Mitosis, is mentioned in the first few chapters of Firefight, which I also happened to get free through Audible. I'd seen this short story floating around on Goodreads, but figured it was a standalone deal. Then What's-his-face (the narrator) brings up the fight in the new book, so I figured it
Srividya
A nice filler between Steelheart and Firefight. This book is about Mitosis, who is again an Epic, and who wants some answers about how Steelheart died. He corners David and tries to intimidate him into giving him some answers.

A fast paced short read that acts as a perfect, if somewhat unnecessary filler between the two books. However, I feel that the question raised at the end of this book will form an important basis for the next book, at least that is my hope. Only reading the second book will
Mimi
I actually like this short story more than the first book. Maybe I'm warming up to David as a main POV character.

Following the defeat of Steelheart and Nightweilder, the city of Newcago--that word still makes me cringe--is now a sunny post-apocalyptic refuge for the powerless. But the people are still weary, as though expecting a new Epic to defeat the Reckoners and plunge the city back into darkness. And one does step up to the challenge--Mitosis. He's the first to pose a threat, but he's
Teodora
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What can i even say? It's Brandon Sanderson, of course i loved it. And even thought it was very short, we still had a beautifull variety of bad methaphors and some pretty good action. David is even more badass than he thinks he is.
Becky
A short story in the Reckoners series, this is all about an Epic who is able to clone himself an infinite amount of times. Kinda like horcruxes, because if one of them remains, the dude won't die. It's an interesting conundrum, but apparently easily solved, because this book clocks in at just over 30 pages. Easily solved... if you have the right info... or luck.

David has a little bit of both, but that doesn't really mean much when he's been shot and is now bleeding profusely at the end of a
Mpauli
A nice little story to get me into the mood for Firefight.
Adam
Short and sweet, Sanderson manages to cram just enough character development, foreshadowing and humor (I love this running series joke with the bad metaphors) into this novelette to make it worth your while.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars!

I joined a large group of people in a buddy read of Steelheart earlier in this month and absolutely loved it. I love to listen to audiobooks while I workout. The problem is that I don't really love to work out so it can take me forever to finish a book just because I have a hard time getting to the gym. With the next book in the Reckoners series coming out soon, I thought that this short story would be great for today's trip to the
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Sanderson's work is always top notch, even his shorts. I loved Steelheart, so picking this one up was a no brainer. Mitosis is basically a mini story that takes place after the Reckoners reclaim Newcago, welcoming new citizens to the city while guarding it from any opportunistic Epics who might seek to fill the void left by Steelheart.

Not much more to say other than it was a quick and fun read. You won't be missing any important information for Firefight even if you don't read it, though it
Jo
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars, gr2016
This is what we get, Abraham said, for coming out into the open. It is why Jon always wanted to remain hidden.
We cant stand for something if we only move in shadows, Abraham, I said.

A novella with some very interesting tidbits. Full of action and funny moments.

It's not necessarily a must read, but still worth-while to spend some more time with the adorable David and his awesome Reckoners, and also to gain some more information about this world Brandon Sanderson has created.

I just love

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5 stars]

This is one of the few novellas I felt actually added something essential to the series. The ongoing arc of The Reckoners is the characters struggle to figure out how epics weaknesses work. Mitosis offers so many clues! And I came away more pumped about the series than ever. This novella is totally worth your time if you plan to read the series.

Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com
TS Chan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Feb 2016: A thread in BB&B came up and I couldn't resist rereading this as well.

What a quick, fun and action-packed read! I miss David's bad metaphors.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
A quick and entertaining story that reads pretty much as an intro to the next book in this series. If you liked Steelheart and can't wait for Firefight, this one will serve as a nice little teaser.
Steve
Intense and riveting short story of the Reckoners, showcasing David's uncanny luck and how his research helps the entire team.

Can't wait for Firefight!

• The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • The Valley of the Gods (Godsblood Book 3)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Interview with the Robot
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Staying Behind
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
Brandons major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedrys autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperors Soul

The Reckoners (3 books)
  • Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)
  • Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)
  • Calamity (Reckoners, #3)