Start by marking “Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)” as Want to Read:
Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Steelheart

(The Reckoners #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  125,099 ratings  ·  11,924 reviews
Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his will.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend th
Published September 24th 2013 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Steelheart, please sign up.
Nicole What a terrible way to approach a book. Let's see -- maybe it's really well written? Or has compelling characters or a gripping plot or any of the…moreWhat a terrible way to approach a book. Let's see -- maybe it's really well written? Or has compelling characters or a gripping plot or any of the other elements that make books good?

Just because the subject matter and/or genre "seem" like they've been done before doesn't mean they can't be done well again. That's the challenge that all writers face, after all -- to take a love story or a man v. nature tale and tell it in a fresh and compelling way. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jenni Frencham It didn't go through the robber. Steelheart was standing in front, and Death Point was standing behind him and was just about to try to kill him. When…moreIt didn't go through the robber. Steelheart was standing in front, and Death Point was standing behind him and was just about to try to kill him. When David's father shot Death Point, the bullet grazed Steelheart's cheek on its way to Death Point. (less)

·  125,099 ratings  ·  11,924 reviews

Patrick
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got a chance to read an early version of this a little while ago. Needless to say, I jumped at it.

The reason for this is that so far, I haven't read a book by Brandon Sanderson that I haven't loved. That means it's quite likely that I'll get a chance to read another good book, which is always welcome.

OR I'll finally read something of Sanderson's I *don't* like. Which would thrill me, honestly.

Why? Well, because Brandon writes so much faster than me. It only seems fair that some of his stuff
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm probably going to make Sandersonite heads everywhere explode when I say this, but STEELHEART might be my new favorite Sanderson book. *does NOT duck* *does NOT run*

description

Is it the most beautifully complicated of his works?

Is it the plot-twistiest?

Nope.

Is it the most direct and concise, sans anything that could be construed as meandering?

YAS.

I love Sanderson. Unabashedly. But as someone who's spent a cumulative ten years with my husband, I can state with authorit
Emily May
Well... that was disappointing.

I've heard such great things about all of Brandon Sanderson's books and he's an author I've been meaning to read for what seems like forever. So I decided to pick up his recent young adult work instead of committing to a series with several releases already... well, all I can say is that I hope this isn't representative of all his books because Steelheart really disappointed me. In my opinion, there is nothing you can get from this book that you can't get from bett
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This book is so good! ❤

I cried in this book because of something sad and then it wasn't sad because of reasons but I'm not sure because of . . .

I cried because of the REVELATIONS, REVELATIONS, REVELATIONS! They were so freaking awesome that I can't evennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

I've seen Steelheart bleed.
And I will see him bleed again.

Yes, we all know that line. Those that have read the book. This is what David thinks when 10 years ago his father was killed by Steelheart. Now Da
Khurram
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Brendon Sanderson's books I have read. I really enjoyed it. From what I read on the synopsis of this and his other books his style tends to be post-apocalyptic world. This one looks like a Superman gone bad theme. This interested me to read this from a fantasy writer's point of view rather than a comic writes point of view. The way Steelheart is described to look exactly like Superman does in the comics and cartoons, except with a black cloke instead of the Red one.

An event
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

So I'm going to start out by saying the only reason I docked half a star is because I felt the pacing of this story was a little uneven. It was not detrimental, but the most interesting portion of the plot unfolded quickly right at the end of the book & it was just a little off balance from the rest of the story.

Otherwise, this is one hell of a book!

After the world is visited by Calamity, average humans are randomly gifted supernatural powers. These humans are called
Robin (Bridge Four)
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Puny Humans, punny people and lovers of Heroes
Kindle deal for a limited time for $1.99 01Nov18 at Amazon

3rd Read with by favorite buddy reading group Buddies Books & Baubles

Why should you read this series in a nut shell:

- David is the most Adorkable yes it is a real word character I've ever read.

- There are EVIL superheroes. EVIL SUPERHEROES!!!

- Lots of different kinds of action happening. Motorcycle chases, car crashes, one on on fighting...etc

- A really good twist (actually about 3 but they were all awesome) and I only semi guess
Alejandro
I've seen Steelheart bleed.

I always love when a book begins with a solid first sentence. And this novel was a good example of that.

PUSHED TO THE NEXT STEP OF EVOLUTION

This is my first book by Brandon Sanderson and now I realize why he is so popular and well rated by a lot of readers and reviewers. Certainly he has a great style and entertaining style that you aren't never bored of what is happening. I am aware that this novel is from a genre kinda new to him since this is a "super-hero" book
Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
This book = insanity!

This will prove my living under a rock, but I had not heard of this author before I went to Book Expo and got told all about his awesome status, and let me tell you, the praise is not unwarranted! Steelheart does not hold back; it's an edge-of-your-seat read with an intensity that requires you to put the book down regularly just so you can take a breather!

There are book beginnings... then there are Sanderson beginnings; the prologue is all it took to make me fall in love wit
Anne
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
What if Superman was evil?
In fact, what if all superpowered beings were evil? <--and that's the premise of this book.

description

So. If (for unknown reasons) there were suddenly people granted superpowers, and (for unknown reasons) they all turned into bad guys, and they all (for unknown reasons) had secret strange weaknesses that made no sense - then who would fight them?
Enter the Reckoners!
A bunch of humans who ferret out the weakness and then kill the Epic. <--Epic is what these powered people are
Felicia
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I got to read this early. No spoilers, but it's FANTASTIC.
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
“I’ve seen Steelheart bleed. And I will see him bleed again.”

Epics are humans with super powers. These powers corrupt their souls, turning them into tyrannical murderers that think themselves divine.

Steelheart is one of these and he has the ability to turn anything he touches into steel, including his own skin which renders him completely impervious to harm. He murdered David’s father, but not before he managed to shoot him in the face leaving a scar on the supposedly invincible Epic’s cheek.
James Lafayette Tivendale
I have had a few days off work this week and I must admit that I have found this book very difficult to put down during that time.

I was sceptical about approaching this book and have had it on my bookshelf for a while. I have read some of the Mistborn books and A Stormlight Archive and loved it and thought this book would disappoint me and just be a bit .. geeky compared to the complex magic mechanics and exceptional world building of the above mentioned.

It was geeky - yet in a great way and I
Elizabeth Sagan
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My relationship with The Reckoners series is like a relationship with someone you love deeply, despite the fact that they cheated on you and they’re chewing out loud (we all know that is a deal breaker). In other words, I adore the idea of this series so much that I can partially ignore the fact that it’s not that amazingly written. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors and I’m kinda disappointed that he chose such a light tone on this one when I know, I know, I KNOW he could’ve creat ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5

This book was a lot of fun to read. I'm not a fan of comic books, I enjoy superhero movies, but I've never been a fan of comics themselves because I'm not a visual person. I don't like pictures. I prefer words. For me, this book was the lengthy equivalent of a comic book, and that's just fine with me. That is not to say that I take this book and its themes lightly in any way; comic books can be quite complex, and this book certainly was. It addresses some complex moral and phil
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
The world kinda ends with an event called Calamity. Ordinary people get superpowers? Kinda sounds cool huh?
Well they don't use their powers for good. They use those suckers to rule the world!

The Reckoners are the group trying to fight against them. At times I got bored with them. They did spend too much time discussing plans. I didn't care. I just wanted shit blew up.

I did get entranced when the action started. That was intense and very well done.
This kinda reads similar to Xmen gone bad. I l
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lets just get it out there: Steelheart is a superhero novel and a YA superhero novel at that. Now don’t just run away now assuming this isn’t for you because before reading this book I would have thought that too.

I don’t know why, but caped crusaders never floated my boat and I’ve had enough bad YA to recognise the standard drill. Dystopian near future world – check, Love interest – check, Near constant action – check.

However I should not have doubted. Seriously, I am never doubting Sanderson a
Berit☀️✨
4.5 Steelhearted stars! from my 14-year-old reluctant reader and me!🌟

My 14-year-old son just recently began listening to audiobooks with me for about an hour every night, we started with some ghost stories and now we have moved on to fantasy.... and this was a fantastic choice! I’ve had this book on audio sitting on my phone forever, But fantasy and I don’t always get along, so I’ve been a bit hesitant.... what I learned with this is that fantasy is perfect for me an hour a day... so all those f
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Meet Steelheart.

(I don’t know why my mind conjures Loki’s image whenever Steelheart is described.^^)

He is an “Epic” (could be a superhuman, an alien, a result of a science experiment, I’m not really sure) with supernatural abilities and strength and is the ruler of a city called Newcago. Wait…did I just say Newcago? OMG, I just have to…let me just…

Okay, I’m calm. Newcago, jeez. That’s ridiculous. [*wipes off a tear while still laughing]. To continue, Steelheart is one of the most powerful Epic
Lo9man88
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr S"Anderson" didn't fail me so far, so why start now ?
It was a cool read: tight and smooth , a terrific world with new rules and a reality where people with superpowers are unavoidably villains with a god complex and a thirst for dominion, enter the Reckoners : Defenders of the fellow man and banes to the oppressors ...
Suffice to say it's a must read.
Lola
I thought this book would rock my world.

I mean, I have heard so much about this god-writer named Brandon Sanderson, whose fantasy works blow the minds of readers, that I needed to see if the hype around him was a well-deserved reflection on the author’s skills.

Well, you know, even if I disliked this book, I do believe he is a good writer. Honestly, I was very excited about the story in the beginning. The prologue was breath-taking and, in the following chapters, the author presented the world i
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I was very excited to read this YA fantasy series - super powers? post apocalyptic-ish? Brandon Sanderson? Yes!!

I liked it but oh my, I cannot deal with the fake swear words (Calamity, Slontze, Sparks... like really?!)
I was about to lower my rating by 0.5 just because of this but the ending was good... Sanderson always writes good endings.

Will continue the series.
Gavin
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

This was another great book by the ever dependable Brandon Sanderson. I knew there was a reason this guy was such a favorite of mine. It had everything you would expect from one of his books. Good world building, an interesting plot, likable and interesting characters, action, humor, romance, and even some surprise twists and turns along the way.

This was the tale of superheroes gone bad!. Ten years ago a mysterious new star, called Calamity, appeared in the sky and people started to d
Beth Hudspeth
Review: Hello Beautiful Book Blog
Steelheart was awesome! Super fun and action packed with humor attached! Epic!

I loved David's awkwardness and stupid metaphors. The twist I did not see coming. It's hard to fool me!

David grew up in Newcago, a city in the future where the Epic, Steelheart rules. The book starts out with David trying to prove to the Reckoners that he will be an asset to them. He meets Prof, Megan, Tia, Cody and Abraham of the Newcago Reckoners. Once he is partly accepted he start
Regan
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned-read
That was an awesome read! Full of action, super interesting story! I cannot wait until the next book! I love anti hero stories..
Iryna *Book and Sword*
5/5 stars

*audio book review*

Read Steelheart they said. It will be fun they said. Sure it was fun. So much fun! But it was also very, very heart wrenching.

This was an absolutely phenomenal novel to audio book. Until the time I was listening to it while driving to pick up some Indian food for dinner and crying uncontrollably because of things that were happening. I must have looked very distressed to passerby's.

“We were like deaf people trying to dance to a beat we couldn't hear, long after the
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, Oct. 1, 2018, for this YA SF novel by Brandon Sanderson, first in a trilogy.

What if there was a worldwide cataclysmic event that caused a minority of people to develop superpowers ... but instead of turning into friendly neighborhood crime fighters they all turned into mafia thugs and murderers? When you think about it, it's a more natural reaction for a person who is suddenly gifted with (often murderous) powers to use those powers for his or her own personal gain, rather tha
Yulitza Moncada
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
UN MAGNIFICO 4/5 PARA ESTE SORPRENDENTE LIBRO.

Primero que todo les tengo que decir que Steelheart es el primer libro que leo de Brandon Sanderson, y me alegro mucho de haber elegido este para comenzar a adentrarme en las historias y escrituras de este grandioso autor.

Cuando leí la sinopsis de este libro quede flipando porque me gusto y mucho, siempre he leído libros donde las personas que tienen “habilidades” son buenos y siempre buscan proteger a las demás personas, y este libro fue la excepci
Evgeny
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with the following people: Athena, Armina, Gavin, Kat Stark, Desinka, Robin, Alexa, Shandra, Annette, Nicholas, Carole, Ashley, Eon, Kristen, Danae, and the latecomer Sarah

The easiest and shortest description would be, "X-Men gone bad"; I am sure somebody already mentioned this in a review. Anyway, in near future some people (called Epics) gained superpowers - all kinds of them. Have you ever hear the saying "Power corrupts"? What about superpower? In the dystopian society of North Am
Hasham Rasool
When I find out this book is about superhero/supervillian I wasn't sure whether this book will be a good book to read and also I thought it is very strange because I have never seen any author writes a book about superheroes or supervillians. Normally we would have seen superheroes/supervillians storyline in the comics/graphic novels.

I do find David a bit annoyed because he is too obsessed about Megan.

I am looking forward to watching 'Steelheart' movie but same time I am unsure whether 'Steelhe
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the Coin, #3)
  • Other Worlds
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
  • Unfettered (Unfettered, #1)
  • The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • The Twelve-Fingered Boy (Incarcerado, #1)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Reckoners (3 books)
  • Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)
  • Calamity (The Reckoners, #3)
“Never throw the first punch. If you have to throw the second, try to make sure they don't get up for a third.” 295 likes
“Sometimes, son," my father said, prying my fingers free, "you have to help the heroes along.” 157 likes