2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > April - Writing Through Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Mar 26, 2018 06:01AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments WRITING THROUGH TIME
Duration: 1 April 2018-30 April 2018

Writing was created about 5000 years ago and without writing, we wouldn't have books! For this challenge, we have nine tasks inspired by the history of writing.

1. Writing was first invented in around 3100BC in an ancient civilization of Mesopotamia. Today, Mesopotamia corresponds to parts of Iraq, Kuwait, Syria and Turkey. Read a book that is set in Mesopotamia or one of these modern day countries

2. Egyptian Hieroglyphs were also seen for the first time around 3100BC. Read a book set in Ancient Egypt or about pictures/paintings.

3. The Chinese written language appeared about 1200BC. Read a book written by an author of Chinese descent or set in China.

4. The oldest surviving literary texts date from a full millennium after the invention of writing. Read the book on your TBR which has the earliest publication date or the book on your TBR list that takes place the earliest historical time.

5. The first alphabet emerged around 1800BC. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.'

6. Greek letters such as alpha and omega are still used today all over the world particularly in maths or science. Read a book about either of those subjects: math or science.

7. The rise of Islam in the 7th century AD led to the rapid rise of the Arabic text. While for Christians, Latin was used a lot in writing. Read a book about religion or featuring religion as a theme.

8. Writing was originally carvings on stone which eventually changed to being on paper. Nowadays, we're more likely to see it in digital form. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook.

9. Written language is constantly evolving. Who knows what it will be like many years from now? Read a book about language or a book set in the future.

I will be leading this challenge

message 2: by Rachael (last edited May 02, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments Participants
Updated to message 55

Agnieszka 0/5
✅ Amanda 4/3
✅ ⚜Chalmation⚜ 4/4
Cindy III 0/3
Debra 0/3
✅ Fatma 3/3
✅ Hafsa Z.U 3/3
Jennifer 0/2
Jordynn 0/2
Kimberly 2/3
✅ Kristin 3/3
✅ Lindsay 4/3
✅ Lisa 1/1
Megan 0/5
✅ Mie 4/4
✅ Rachael 3/3
Rachel 1/3
✅ Rachelnyc 6/5
✅ SarahKat 3/3
Susan 2/3
Suzana 0/2
Wayne 0/5

message 3: by Rachelnyc (last edited Apr 22, 2018 07:31AM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments 6/5

1. Writing was first invented in around 3100BC in an ancient civilization of Mesopotamia. Today, Mesopotamia corresponds to parts of Iraq, Kuwait, Syria and Turkey. Read a book that is set in Mesopotamia or one of these modern day countries

2. Egyptian Hieroglyphs were also seen for the first time around 3100BC. Read a book set in Ancient Egypt or about pictures/paintings.

√ 3. The Chinese written language appeared about 1200BC. Read a book written by an author of Chinese descent or set in China. Crazy Rich Asians

√ 4. The oldest surviving literary texts date from a full millennium after the invention of writing. Read the book on your TBR which has the earliest publication date or the book on your TBR list that takes place the earliest historical time. A Midsummer Night's Dream

√ 5. The first alphabet emerged around 1800BC. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.' Hidden Bodies

6. Greek letters such as alpha and omega are still used today all over the world particularly in maths or science. Read a book about either of those subjects: math or science.

√ 7. The rise of Islam in the 7th century AD led to the rapid rise of the Arabic text. While for Christians, Latin was used a lot in writing. Read a book about religion or featuring religion as a theme. Educated

√ 8. Writing was originally carvings on stone which eventually changed to being on paper. Nowadays, we're more likely to see it in digital form. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook. The Broken Girls

√ 9. Written language is constantly evolving. Who knows what it will be like many years from now? Read a book about language or a book set in the future. Ready Player One

message 4: by Mie (last edited Apr 22, 2018 07:20AM) (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Please sign me up for 4:

✅ 4. Romeo and Juliet - 2,5⭐️
✅ 5. Belmarsh: Hell - 4⭐️
✅ 8. The Ninth Grave - 2,5⭐️
✅ 9. Insurgent - 3,5⭐️

message 5: by Kimberly (last edited May 08, 2018 08:13AM) (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I'll go for 3 (but might get to 4)!

2. Egyptian Hieroglyphs were also seen for the first time around 3100BC. Read a book set in Ancient Egypt or about pictures/paintings. The Shell Seekers

5. The first alphabet emerged around 1800BC. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.' Persuasion April 21, 2018

7. The rise of Islam in the 7th century AD led to the rapid rise of the Arabic text. While for Christians, Latin was used a lot in writing. Read a book about religion or featuring religion as a theme. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch April 26, 2018

8. Writing was originally carvings on stone which eventually changed to being on paper. Nowadays, we're more likely to see it in digital form. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook. Beautiful Ruins April 5, 2018

message 6: by Rachael (last edited Mar 26, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments Welcome everyone! I have updated you all :)

message 7: by Rachael (last edited Sep 16, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments My goal is going to be at least 3 books

COMPLETED: 3/3
✅ Earliest publication date on TBR: The Merchant of Venice read 22 April, ***
✅ A title starting with any of the letters in 'alphabet': The Lost Plot read 14 April, **** with review
✅ An ebook: Vicious read 28 April, ***** with review

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2614 comments I'll do at least 3 books

message 9: by Lindsay (last edited Apr 16, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments WRITING THROUGH TIME

Writing was created about 5000 years ago and without writing, we wouldn't have books! For this challenge, we have nine tasks inspired by the history of writing.

3. The Chinese written language appeared about 1200BC. Read a book written by an author of Chinese descent or set in China.

4. The oldest surviving literary texts date from a full millennium after the invention of writing. Read the book on your TBR which has the earliest publication date or the book on your TBR list that takes place the earliest historical time.

5. The first alphabet emerged around 1800BC. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.'
Big Little Lies

7. The rise of Islam in the 7th century AD led to the rapid rise of the Arabic text. While for Christians, Latin was used a lot in writing. Read a book about religion or featuring religion as a theme.
Typhoon

8. Writing was originally carvings on stone which eventually changed to being on paper. Nowadays, we're more likely to see it in digital form. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook.
Darkly Dreaming Dexter

9. Written language is constantly evolving. Who knows what it will be like many years from now? Read a book about language or a book set in the future.
Ella Minnow Pea

4/3 complete

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments I will try for 3.

message 11: by Cindy III (last edited Apr 27, 2018 01:55AM) (new)

Cindy III | 274 comments I am in for 1/3

WRITING THROUGH TIME

a hope more powerful than the sea
the morning they came for us

the woman who would be king
the murder of king tut

I am china
the incarnations
death of a red heroine

The Book of Chameleons 4/23 - 25

there's someone inside your house
2001 a space odyssey

religion (dk)

how to lose a duke in 10 days

ready player one

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments I am in for 1! :)
Thanks Rachael!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan | 162 comments I'll sign up for 3. Thanks.

message 14: by Fatma (last edited Apr 16, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Fatma Al-Qais (fyalqais) | 25 comments I'm in for 3:

1. Read a book that is set in Mesopotamia or one of these modern day countries
The Bamboo Stalk

6. Read a book about either of those subjects: math or science.
The Grand Design

8. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook.
I am Zlatan Ibrahimovic

UPDATE:
2/3:
I am Zlatan Ibrahimovic ★★★★
The Bamboo Stalk ★★★★★

message 15: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Oh, man... this sounds like an amazing challenge but April will be really busy for me.
I might have to do these tasks on my own time, some other month.

message 16: by Debra (last edited Apr 14, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

message 17: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 24, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 313 comments I will do 2 for this challenge

5.Little Men
8.Crime and Punishment

message 18: by Jordynn (new)

Jordynn Darling | 184 comments I will do 2.

4. Romeo and Juliet- Published in 1597
5. Phantom of the Opera

0/2

message 19: by Hafsa | حفصہ (last edited Apr 28, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments I'll sign up for 3!

Read: 3/3

✔3. Read a book written by an author of Chinese descent or set in China. – Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. (★★★★)

Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

✔5. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.' – The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan. (★★★★★)

✔8. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook. – The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar. (★★★★)

message 20: by Mie (last edited Apr 02, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 1/4
✅ 8. Audiobook - The Ninth Grave - 2,5⭐️

message 21: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2614 comments Finished 1/3:

5. The first alphabet emerged around 1800BC. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.'- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

message 22: by Wayne (new)

Wayne | 200 comments Put me down for 5!

message 23: by Agnieszka (last edited Apr 26, 2018 02:34AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 630 comments I love this idea! I'll start with 5 but hope to bump it up to 9 before mid-April :-)

WRITING THROUGH TIME

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 150 comments Sign me up for 5, please and thank you.

message 25: by Amanda (last edited May 01, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Amanda | 526 comments I'm going for 3.

4/3

✔5. The first alphabet emerged around 1800BC. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.' Pride and Prejudice

✔7. The rise of Islam in the 7th century AD led to the rapid rise of the Arabic text. While for Christians, Latin was used a lot in writing. Read a book about religion or featuring religion as a theme. Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together

✔8. Writing was originally carvings on stone which eventually changed to being on paper. Nowadays, we're more likely to see it in digital form. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook. Star Trek Movie Tie-In

✔9. Written language is constantly evolving. Who knows what it will be like many years from now? Read a book about language or a book set in the future. Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters

message 26: by Rachel (last edited Apr 27, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 161 comments 1. Read a book that is set in Mesopotamia or one of these modern day countries

2. Read a book set in Ancient Egypt or about pictures/paintings. - Not sure if this is "about" pictures really, but it consists of comics and talks a bit about the process of drawing. Big Mushy Happy Lump

3. Read a book written by an author of Chinese descent or set in China. - Lucy and Linh. The author is Teochew Chinese.

4. Read the book on your TBR which has the earliest publication date or the book on your TBR list that takes place the earliest historical time.

5. Read a book with a title that starts with any of the letters in 'alphabet.' - Beside Myself

6. Read a book about either of those subjects: math or science. - Again, not sure exactly how much of a fit this is, but there was definitely some science involved. I read Crosstalk

7. Read a book about religion or featuring religion as a theme. - Immaculate

8. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook.

9. Read a book about language or a book set in the future.

message 27: by Chalmation (last edited Apr 14, 2018 01:27AM) (new)

Chalmation | 1851 comments I'm in for 4.

4/4
Complete

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon #2) Finished 4/11/18

Aesop's Fables 560 B.C. Finished 4/12/18

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon #3) Finished 4/14/18

Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon #1) Finished 4/6/18

message 28: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Updated message 4.

3/5 completed

message 29: by Suzana (new)

Suzana | 16 comments I will do 2.

message 30: by Susan (new)

Susan | 162 comments 3. China- The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting

1/3 Read

message 31: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 2/4
✅ 5. Belmarsh: Hell - 4⭐️

message 32: by Chalmation (new)

Chalmation | 1851 comments Updated message #28

2/4

message 33: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2614 comments Update 2/3:

8. Writing was originally carvings on stone which eventually changed to being on paper. Nowadays, we're more likely to see it in digital form. Read an e-book or listen to an audiobook. - The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

message 34: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Update message 4. I'm 4/5

message 35: by Chalmation (new)

3/4

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments updated message 26
1/3

message 37: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 3/4
✅ 9. Insurgent - 3,5⭐️

message 38: by Chalmation (new)

4/4
Complete

message 39: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments ⚜Chalmation⚜ wrote: "Updated message #28

4/4
Complete"

Congratulations - you're the first to complete the challenge :)
I've just finished my first book and updated you all to here.

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments Updated message 26
2/3

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 526 comments Updated message 26
3/3

✔9. Written language is constantly evolving. Who knows what it will be like many years from now? Read a book about language or a book set in the future. Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan | 162 comments 4. Earliest Publication Date on TBR- Aesop's Fables

2/3 Read

message 43: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments Update msg 10

4/3 complete

message 44: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Update to message 4.

5/5 completed!

message 45: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1839 comments Update msg 5: 4/4 COMPLETE ✔️
✅ 4. Earliest publication date - Romeo and Juliet - 2,5⭐️

message 46: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2614 comments COMPLETE: 3/3

9. Written language is constantly evolving. Who knows what it will be like many years from now? Read a book about language or a book set in the future. -The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White - about language/writing

message 47: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments updated message 6

2/3

message 48: by Hafsa | حفصہ (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments updated message 20

Read 3/3!

I changed my goal from reading 4 books to 3 because I couldn't find the book I wanted to read for the first prompt.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Updated message 13.

I completed the one task I had set out to by reading Shakespearean plays, which fit the description of task #4.

message 50: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments Just a few hours left in April which means there's still time to complete a task (or two) for this challenge

« previous 1