Horror Aficionados discussion

The Terror
This topic is about The Terror
Movies & Television > The Terror - AMC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 141 comments Who else is ridiculously excited about this! I read the book last year, and I can't wait to see how they bring it to the small screen.

message 2: by Gerhard (new)

Gerhard Same here! Been looking forward to this for a while.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I’ve got it set to record!

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 141 comments Me too Nancy lol.

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 756 comments Even though I haven't read the book yet, I plan to watch the movie Monday.

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments This is the show I have been anticipating the most. Even better with it having a two hour premiere.

message 7: by David (new) - added it

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments I thought it was an excellent opening episode. Suitably grim and dark, even prior to their being marooned in the ice.

message 8: by Luvtoread (new) - added it

Luvtoread | 1853 comments David, have you watched this already??

message 9: by David (new) - added it

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1610 comments Luvtoread wrote: "David, have you watched this already??"

Only the first episode. I loved the novel, and this was a great opening to the series.

message 10: by Luvtoread (new) - added it

Luvtoread | 1853 comments Wow! Thank you for your thoughts on it. You're so lucky to have seen it already!!

message 11: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1617 comments AMC pissed off a lot of Walked Dead fans. Many TV listings indicated TWD was a 2-hour episode.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments AMC is doing this right. The music alone captures the spirit of the story. I must find a copy of the film score. Spotify is failing me.

WendyB  | 2980 comments Mod
Visually stunning. I could watch this with the sound off and be amazed.
And I agree the music is perfect. It never intrudes and takes over the scene but adds to it.
Really looking forward to seeing more of this show.

message 14: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments I agree, the visuals are amazing. I haven't finished watching the two hour premiere yet but I am enjoying what I have been watching so far.

message 15: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 401 comments Im about 150 pages into the book.

Would anything be spoiled if I watched the 2 hour premier?

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 141 comments I don't think so Myst. I'm always an advocate for reading the book first, but the show is really going at the pace of the book, slow and steady. I'm so happy with it so far.

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 141 comments The actor playing Crozier is quite different than what i had in my head as I was reading the book, but willing to give him a chance. His acting is amazing so far.

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments I used Russel Crowe for Crozier in my mind. I TiVo’d it but haven’t gotten to it yet.

message 19: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments Alissa wrote: "The actor playing Crozier is quite different than what i had in my head as I was reading the book, but willing to give him a chance. His acting is amazing so far."

I've been a fan of Jared Harris since he guest starred on Fringe and then went to Mad Men. I agree that I couldn't picture him being Francis Crozier, at first, bu I think it works.

message 20: by Nancy (last edited Apr 02, 2018 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments Just watched the two hour premier. I liked it. I read the book in 2014. It’s been long enough that I’m not constantly making comparisons. Now, I’m saying oh ya I remember that. LOL

I like Ciarán Hinds as Franklin.

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 756 comments I just watched the second (actually third) episode.. I sort of wish I had read the book first but...oh well. Maybe someday.

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "I just watched the second (actually third) episode.. I sort of wish I had read the book first but...oh well. Maybe someday."

There are some slight differences, nothing I would find very major. So far I think the show is following the events in the book fairly well.

message 23: by Hoff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoff The Librarian (hoffthelibrarian) | 20 comments I can't believe the quality of actor they were able to accumulate. This cast is stacked with gravitas.

The show is great so far. Far further than I expected them to take the production. When I read the book the first time, I thought, "There's no way anyone could ever afford to turn this into a move (or show)," but they've done a beautiful job.

From The Smithsonian magazine, an article about the show:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...

message 25: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments WendyB wrote: "From The Smithsonian magazine, an article about the show:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c......"

Thanks for sharing, that was a good article.

message 26: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan | 4819 comments Mod
Ep. 2 had some shocking developments. Been years since I read the book, but it seems like they're cutting through all the talking/descriptions of the tome and getting right to the meat of the 'terror'.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 09, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

Nobody else is having a problem with the accents? I can't hear/understand most of what is being said. :( The wind howling or music is playing while they are talking with accents and it makes it impossible for me to enjoy.
I can't figure out how to turn on subtitles for something on my DVR.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments Well people from the UK typically have accents and the ships and the crew were from the UK originally. It wouldn’t make sense to have them speak with American accents.

I have watched all the season of the Doctor Who, The Fall, Broadchurch. You get used to the accents. Yes, music and loud sounds make it more difficult to hear what they say. Doctor Who is like that for me. We don’t have an ear for it. It takes practice.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 09, 2018 08:32AM) (new)

Of course they should have whatever accents they have :) I'm sorry if I implied otherwise.
I'm just struggling and wonder if anyone else is. I was wondering if was hard for everyone not just because of the accents. Even though I did blame it on that. Is it really because of that or something else? Wind too loud? As it should be out there so maybe I don't even need to hear them. But I want to.
I will probably just wait until Netflix picks it up far in the future and can use subtitles then.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I think it is just our American ears aren’t used to the accents and some of the characters have a thicker or heavier accent and we just aren’t accustomed to hearing it.

Like I said, I have the same problem with Doctor Who. The music can get loud and then it is easier to miss what they say. The more you listen, it gets somewhat easier. You start to get used to it and can pick up what they are saying better. Sometimes the language they use makes it difficult because they use different phrases and then the music gets loud and I then I miss something.

There are a few characters on The Terror that I think it is more difficult to discern what they are saying. Just another accent to get used to.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

:) thx

I've had to turn up the volume pretty loud and listen carefully at times to hear all that is said. On the plus side, it makes me pay close attention to the story and it's really good.

message 33: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments Corinne wrote: "Nobody else is having a problem with the accents? I can't hear/understand most of what is being said. :( The wind howling or music is playing while they are talking with accents and it makes it imp..."

I have had to turn up the volume during some of the scenes on The Terror. Typically I do have issues with understanding foreign accents on shows or movies.

message 34: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 308 comments I'm not reading the book, but I wanted to chime in on the subtitles issue.

I often use the subtitles these days because I can't make out what the actors are saying. However, it has less to do with hearing loss or accents than the fact that modern actors and directors think they are capturing realism by mumbling their lines.

Well, maybe they are, but movies are not reality. Speak up, people. All the realism in the world means nothing if the audience can't hear you.

Don't believe me? I never have to turn on the subtitles when I'm watching a movie made in the 1930s, 40s, or 50s. Back then, actors were trained to annunciate their lines and project their voices.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 10, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

Ty for the additional comments.

@Perry Did you see The Revenant? Tom Brady's character was quite memorably mumbling. I figure you are absolutely correct as to why.

I really do want to hear them and can't turn my TV up too loud. My family already thinks I'm nuts for my viewing choices so I keep it a bit down low. Death screams and zombie moaning .... "What are you watching? You are one sick b*tch" LOL I'm the only horror fan in the house.

message 36: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 308 comments Corinne wrote: "@Perry Did you see The Revenant? Tom Brady's character was quite memorably mumbling...."

I did not see The Revenant. I do admit mumbling has its place in the movies, especially when depicting crazed or broken characters.

message 37: by Myst (new) - rated it 3 stars

Myst | 401 comments Mumbling, whispering, background noise/sound effects and music are all problems in modern film/tv.

I keep subtitles on all the time too. And whenever its the 1 phrase I cant figure out is when subtitles dont work properly.

My other pet peeve is when the lighting is so dark you cant see squat. Its always during quiet scenes or screaming scenes where you cant figure out whats going on.

message 38: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments Myst wrote: "Mumbling, whispering, background noise/sound effects and music are all problems in modern film/tv.

I keep subtitles on all the time too. And whenever its the 1 phrase I cant figure out is when sub..."

Yes! Lighting in a move/show has been an issue for me too. Why make the scenes so dark? Isn't the whole point so the viewers can SEE what is actually going on?

Nancy (paper_addict) | 726 comments I turn the lights down really low (almost off) if I know it’s a show or movie with a lot of dark scenes. It easier to see the dark scenes if there isn’t any glare from the lights in the room.

message 40: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments Just started watching the episodes I taped. Sir John is much more sympathetic a character on film.

message 41: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments Lady Silence is awful chatty.

message 42: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments Damn Hickey is being let off light too. They’re making it seem like the prejudice against his homosexuality is what will make him go bad. As opposed to the book where he is a bad person that uses his homosexuality as a weapon.

message 43: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments Ok now I’m caught up. I’ve put the next two to tape.

message 44: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments Lena wrote: "Lady Silence is awful chatty."

Which makes me wonder (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments On the subtitles issue -

I bought the show on amazon prime to watch on my TV via my roku. i was shocked when we put on episode 1 and there was no closed captioning option under "accessibility". my default settings on my Roku is to use captions, always. so i called amazon and complained.

they confirmed that there are no captions for the show. i was pretty mad. so they told me they would "escalate the issue."

we watched the first 2 episodes and it was a bit of a struggle to follow along.

when we put on episode 3 - There were captions available!!! YES!
So, if anyone is watching on amazon - please double check that they are available for you. they should be!

i may go back and watch the first 2 eps sometime.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments but as for the show itself - LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was a bit bothered by the lady silence not being silent at first, but they can always remove her tongue later. and i'm happy that she's had a good bit of screen time, i can't wait to see what the show does with her and Crozier.

the only other thing that's disappointing is that (view spoiler)

i'm in love with Goodsir, just love him. at the end of episode 4 (view spoiler)

message 47: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin (ems84) | 6975 comments Rachel wrote: "but as for the show itself - LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was a bit bothered by the lady silence not being silent at first, but they can always remove her tongue later. and i'm happy that she's had..."

I think (view spoiler)

message 48: by Rafael (new) - added it

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 580 comments Wow! The 7th episode was intense. I don't know if I can hate Hickey. I want to know his reasons.

message 49: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena | 2425 comments The actor playing Hickey is amazing. We discussed on the other thread that we didn’t think it would be possible to hate Hickey more than we did in the book - but the actor managed it!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I love Hickey in the series, meaning I love watching his character. He's a great actor.

« previous 1