Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Coffeehouse > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 537 (537 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Mar 21, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod

Hello fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers!

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█░░╦─╦╔╗╦─╔╗╔╗╔╦╗╔╗░░█
█░░║║║╠─║─║─║║║║║╠─░░█
█░░╚╩╝╚╝╚╝╚╝╚╝╩─╩╚╝░░█
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

New member? Veteran member? Please say hi and tell us a little bit about you. We're looking forward to getting to know you.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2214 comments Okay.

I'm Dave, a retired pharmacist from PA, married for 42 years with 2 grown children.
I read mysteries almost exclusively with only a smattering of thrillers and suspense and some romances for variety.
Musically, I prefer country and 60s rock.
I write mysteries, have 6 unpublished ones done so far. My other hobbies include working on my cars and photography.

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Hi everyone, I'm Gem and although I'm not a new member here, I am a new moderator. I look forward to getting to know everyone and reading more mysteries than I have in a while as it is one of my favorite genres.

I'm a mother of four terrific adult children and four grandbabies which include a set of twin. I currently reside in Phoenix, AZ with the love of my life. In addition to mysteries, true crime, and the occasional thriller I love southern literature and am trying to incorporate some of the classics into my reading. When I am not reading I enjoy needle crafts and I love to bake and cook.

message 4: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments Hi, welcome

message 5: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Quillracer wrote: "Okay.

I'm Dave..."

Hi Dave good to have you. Married 42 years... that's impressive, not too many folks around these days who have been married that long. Good for you! Our April polls are still open if you have not voted yet.

message 6: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Marion wrote: "Hi, welcome"
Hi Marion. Welcome!

message 7: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Hi everyone!

I'm Cherry from New Zealand, of Filipino-Spanish descent. My love for crime and mystery stories began with Nancy Drew when I was 9 years old, and after I read the orignal 56 books, I went on to Agatha Christie's novels, Mary Higgins Clark. These days, I enjoy reading Alafair Burke's works.

I also read fantasy, chicklits, selected spiritual books and biographies, too. I'm almost always reading a book during my lunch break at work and free time on weekends (I read 1-3 books a week).

I'm 49 today, married for almost 20 years, and have 2 teenaged kids (boy and girl - bookworms like me).

message 8: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Cherry wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm Cherry from New Zealand, of Filipino-Spanish descent. My love for crime and mystery stories began with Nancy Drew when I was 9 years old, and after I read the orignal 56 books, I ..."

Hi Cherry! Glad to have you. The Hardy Boys started my love of mysteries 100 years ago when I was in 3rd grade... I think. I wish I had not gotten rid of those book, they would be something to have on my bookshelf

message 9: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Ooh, I can relate to that, Gem. I wish I kept my collection of Nancy Drew and The Three Investigators. My kids never got to read them.

message 10: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I'm Suzy and I currently live in Minneapolis, MN, although I've lived in several big cities over my life spanning the U.S. coast to coast. I retired 3 years ago from my career/passion of training business people in communication skills of all kinds. Now I tutor people who are learning English and going for their citizenship, as well as volunteering at my local library once a week.

I was too busy to read much when working and am now making up for lost time. I've always got one or more print books and an audiobook going. I love mysteries and really almost any book genre except horror. I'm excited for the revitalization of this group, which for years was a favorite of mine. Great job getting us organized, Gem!

message 11: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "I'm Suzy and I currently live in Minneapolis, MN, although I've lived in several big cities over my life spanning the U.S. coast to coast. I retired 3 years ago from my career/passion of training b..."

Most welcome Suzy, this is one of my favorite groups too!

message 12: by Cass (new)

Cass Markovich | 1 comments Hi All, my name is Cass and I am a retired special education teacher, principal and consultant. I have worked both in the US and overseas as an educator. I began reading international mysteries and have branched out over time. (I still prefer the international mystery.)

message 13: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Hi Cass! We seem to have a few teachers in our midst. What an interesting way to see the world, I would love to be able to travel internationally.

message 14: by Paul (last edited Mar 22, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments Hello all

I've been around for awhile and have probably said "hi" before, although I am sporadic in my attendance.

I'm in Sheffield in the UK, right on the edge of the glorious Peak District National Park. I've been reading mysteries since being given The Complete Sherlock Holmes as a teenager, but only more recently has it become one my my go-to genres. My fave writers in the field are probably Dashiell Hammett, Val McDermid, Christopher Brookmyre & John Connolly - along with Conan Doyle, of course. My other main literary loves are science fiction, some literary fiction (Italo Calvino, Umberto Eco, Virginia Woolf, Saul Bellow), popular science and history (generally ancient), although I try to read fairly broadly and not disregard anything because of genre.

Other than reading I occupy my time with running (usually with my dog, a Patterdale Terrier called Whippet, often in the aforementioned Peak District), tabletop Roleplaying Games, far too many podcasts (humour, politics, history, literature, culture, etc). Possibly because I am constantly filling my ears with these I don't listen to music nearly as much as I used to, although I still adore live music. This year I have seen or will be seeing Grace Petrie, Jonny & the Baptists, Belly and several others.

I enjoy cooking simple food and am trying to reduce the amount of meat I eat for environmental reasons. That said, I do like to travel and have just returned from a week in Agadir in Morocco, so recognise a certain level of hypocrisy, But, hey, we do what we can and with the veggie leanings and fact I don't own a car, I reckon I do pretty well. Yes, I do consider myself an environmentalist and an all-round massive leftie. I also love real ale, wine and Scotch, probably more than i should but, hey, life is about balance.

( This is not meant as criticism of people who do drive; I recognise I am lucky that I live in a fairly compact city with excellent public transport and have never lived more than twelve miles or so from where I work, so have always been within cycling distance )

I have recently finished reading The Crow Trap, The Power & Blackout, am reading a collection of Lovecratian shorts stories A Mountain Walked: Great Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos and am am out to re-read Annihilation after just watching the movie.

message 15: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Paul wrote: "Hello all

I've been around for awhile and have probably said "hi" before, although I am sporadic in my attendance.

I'm in Sheffield in the UK, right on the edge of the glorious Peak District N..."

Hi Paul! I love that you work close to home. I'm hoping we will be moving into a community similar to what you describe. Aside from the environmental issues I'd love not to have the expense of a vehicle.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 45 comments ⊱✿Gem ✿⊰ wrote: "Aside from the environmental issues I'd love not to have the expense of a vehicle.
."

Hey, Gem

And just not having to spend so much time commuting! Although, on occasions I have needed to catch the bus or train to work I have enjoyed the extra reading time ;)

message 17: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
I currently work from home, so currently I have no commute. However, the city I am currently living in is spread out pretty wide that there isn't much of a choice.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Welcome, Paul, Cherry, Cass and Suzy to this fantastic group. Please contact me or Gem or any of the Moderators if you have any problems or suggestions for the group.

message 19: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (bookwormdiva) Jenny wrote: "Welcome, Paul, Cherry, Cass and Suzy to this fantastic group. Please contact me or Gem or any of the Moderators if you have any problems or suggestions for the group."

Thanks, Jenny! Have a good weekend (Friday evening in my part of the world)!

message 20: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 651 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "I'm Suzy and I currently live in Minneapolis, MN, although I've lived in several big cities over my life spanning the U.S. coast to coast. I retired 3 years ago from my career/passion of training b..."

Hi Suzy!
Nice to see you in this group :) Hope you enjoy it!

message 21: by Patricia (last edited Mar 23, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Patricia Dusenbury | 32 comments Hello, my name is Pat, I've belonged to this group for a while but have not been very active. I really like the new look and intend to participate more. I'm a lifelong mystery reader and since retiring from my day job, also an author - under my full name, Patricia Dusenbury. I have four grown children, three delightful daughters-in-law, seven grandchildren, ranging from 6 to 22 years old, and a big old dog. I'm a wanderer. I grew up in the Northeast, spent most of my adult life in the South, and now live in San Francisco. I look forward to discussing mysteries with you all.

message 22: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "Hello, my name is Pat, I've belonged to this group for a while but have not been very active. I really like the new look and intend to participate more. I'm a lifelong mystery reader and since reti..."

Hi Patricia, so glad to have you! I'm glad you like the new look, we were hoping to get our members excited. There will be another new feature added in May, I can't wait!

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Everhart | 2 comments Hello all,

I’m Rob.

During my years writing copy for a retail catalog and website, I always had a story is some state of suspension. Happy to finally put one up for perusal.

I read daily and enjoy thrillers, suspense, westerns and short stories. My favorite writing is the tight, minimalist work of Hemingway, Leonard, Chandler, McCarthy and Carver. But I can also spend hours reading Bradbury and Faulkner. Like nearly all readers, I read everything, and can find inspiration in most.

I’m an IT Analyst out in the real world and spend my days trying to explain how continuing to click a thing won’t make you any happier.
😊

message 24: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "Hello all, I’m Rob.... I’m an IT Analyst out in the real world and spend my days trying to explain how continuing to click a thing won’t make you any happier. 😊 "

ROFL! I'm so glad I had swallowed that last sip of coffee before I read that or I would have had coffee all over my computer. That is too funny and so, so true.

Welcome Rob, good to have you.

message 25: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Icewineanne wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I'm Suzy and I currently live in Minneapolis, MN, although I've lived in several big cities over my life spanning the U.S. coast to coast. I retired 3 years ago from my career/passion ..."

I was in this group for several years, Anne, but dropped out in January due to dwindling participation. I'm excited for the rejuvenation and glad to be back!

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Welcome, Robert. You are a member of a great group. If you have any problems or suggestions please contact the moderators of this group.

message 27: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 108 comments Welcome everyone. Looks like we got a lot of interesting people in our group. I look forward to discussing books & more with everyone.

message 28: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Britney wrote: "Welcome everyone. Looks like we got a lot of interesting people in our group. I look forward to discussing books & more with everyone."

Me too Britney... I can't wait until it's time to open our April Book Discussions, I've been thinking about opening them early as the anticipation is killing me!

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Suzy wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I'm Suzy and I currently live in Minneapolis, MN, although I've lived in several big cities over my life spanning the U.S. coast to coast. I retired 3 years ago fro..."

Thank you, Suzy, for giving this group second go. :)

message 30: by Gene (last edited Mar 24, 2018 05:24PM) (new)

Gene Poschman (geneposchman) | 7 comments Gene Poschman
I'm not really new to the group, but I'm pretty sure I haven't introduced myself;

I am a native Californian who married my high school sweetheart. After fifty-two years, we are still married; Why she puts up with me is still a mystery.

I have always been an avid watcher of film noir, mysteries, and other detective crime fiction as well as science fiction and fantasy. I read quite a bit, which would probably surprise a number of my elementary school teachers. I would have been a better reader earlier if Dick and Jane were detectives, or at least, a wizard and witch.

Like a lot of writers I write because I need to. Also as a kid, I was such a liar. I didn't lie about important stuff. I just made up stories. I was told the story of the boy who cried wolf constantly. At least five different versions. It doesn't happen well for the kid in any of them.

I still make up stories, but because I put them in books, I'm not a liar, I am a novelist or author.
The Jonas Watcher series is rooted in the novels of Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. My style is a little lighter and laced with my own quirky sense of Humour.
I identify my genre as Adventures, some Detective, and some Spy.

The first ebook in the Jonas Watcher series is free, check it out.

The rest is subject to change on my personal whim.

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Welcome, Genn to the group. I hope you add your information in the Author's section so that members can enjoy your fantastic books.

message 32: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 2216 comments Hi reintroducing myself here. I'm Janessa a college student working on my BA with a major in theater and a minor in English emphasis in writing. My goal once I graduate is to become a playwright. I love books, art, movies, and music

message 33: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Hi Janessa! You share a the same interests as my husband does, I've learned a lot from him about the wonderful world of the arts being a stuffy bean counter, lol.

message 34: by Jenny (last edited Mar 30, 2018 06:25AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Welcome, Janessa to the group!

message 35: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Gaurav wrote: "Hello everyone, My name is Gaurav. I am from Pune, India. I have recently read two Agatha Christie books, The murder of Roger Ackroyd and The ABC murders. After reading them I have started developi..."

Welcome, Gaurav! You couldn't do better than to start with Christie. She has led many of us to a lifetime love of mysteries! Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will show how far the genre has come from Christie's time.

message 36: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1248 comments Mod
Gaurav wrote: "And also Thank You for creating this wonderful group. I am learning a lot from all of you."

Thank you Gaurav, we're glad to have you. On May first we are going to start a new feature called "Focus on the Author." The first author we are going to read is Agatha Christie. I'm going to post some biographical information about her as well as the reading list at the end of the month. I hope you'll enjoy that!

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Welcome, Gaurav!!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Hi everyone, I'm Randy from southern California. I joined this club because I enjoy mysteries (as well as many other genres of course) and I have some friends in this group. I was impressed with your selection of March Violets as the April group read, although I was saddened to hear that Philip Kerr had passed away. I plan on reading this one and joining in the discussion when I can. I look forward to meeting all of you and talking about books.

message 39: by Morevna (new)

Morevna (marya_morevna) Hey guys :) you can call me Marya or Morevna, though I prefer Morevna. I'm from Europe, I'm 26 and have loved thrillers and crime books (and TV series/movies) since I was a teenager. Besides reading, I enjoy podcasts, spending time with my puppy (she's adorkable!), and talking to other readers. Happy to be here :)

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Welcome, Morevna.

message 41: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Welcome Randy & Morevna!

message 42: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Welcome!!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Thank you Icewineanne and Kirsten!

Shaona ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ Hi xx
I'm Shaona and I particularly enjoy mystery thrillers, sometimes romances (though I prefer it if they are more of a subplot) and Gothic novels in general though I will read the occasional YA novel. As a child of around six years old I read Agatha Christie a lot which caused many raised eyebrows and I continue to read and enjoy her books. In terms of musical taste I love Lana Del Rey and Marina and the Diamonds. Message me!Xx

message 45: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer I am Barbara. I love reading mysteries, thrillers and the classic detective books. I'm also a writer (B.A. Mealer) who writes slow thrillers or suspense.

I've been reading since I was 4 and discovered Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, and Judy Barton by age seven and went on from there. I still read at least three to four books a month as a break from writing.

n terms of music, if it isn't angry or demeaning I'll listen to it. My ipod has everything from Gregorian Chant to modern music of various types. I listen to what fits the book I'm writing. I watch minimal TV as most of it is a total waste of time most of the time which is something I have minimal of so I don't waste it.

message 46: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Welcome, Barbara and Sharna!

message 47: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Welcome Shaona! Glad that you’re part of our group. I always enjoyed gothic mysteries in my teens but haven’t read any lately. Which authors do you enjoy?

message 48: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited May 11, 2018 08:52PM) (new)

B.A. wrote: "I am Barbara. I love reading mysteries, thrillers and the classic detective books. I'm also a writer (B.A. Mealer) who writes slow thrillers or suspense.

I've been reading since I was 4 and disco..."

Welcome to our group Barbara. I read the same books you did as a child!
All the best with your writing & I hope you enjoy being part of the group.

message 49: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Keith wrote: "Good afternoon all

I'm Keith from Southampton. I am an avid reader, which has increased of late thanks to my recent Kindle purchase. I particularly enjoy British Crime novels at the moment, althou..."

Welcome to the group Keith. UK crime novels are favourites of mine also. I’m really looking forward to reading your reviews!
Cheers 😊

Shaona ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ I love Daphne Du Maurier and Agatha Christie xx

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11