Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

General Chit Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 356 (356 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Now that they think they've found Amelia Earhart -- we're a DNA test away from confirmation -- I wonder if we'll get a slew of new books about her, the way we saw all those new books and movies about Joan of Arc when we hit her 500th birthday...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Fishface wrote: "Now that they think they've found Amelia Earhart -- we're a DNA test away from confirmation -- I wonder if we'll get a slew of new books about her, the way we saw all those new books and movies abo..."

I find this fascinating. One of the great mysteries may be solved.

Diane in Australia | 338 comments I read the article, and it says the bones (found in 1940) were discarded. They are making conjectures based on the data taken back then, and how it might have been incorrectly interpreted. I don't think there is any DNA involved. Unfortunately.

message 4: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Without even a photo of the skull (which would at least allow them to do a photo-superimposition matchup) I don't see how they can conclude anything at all.

Diane in Australia | 338 comments Agreed. I think without DNA, this mystery will always remain a mystery.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments I'm clinging to the hope that there's a box of photos of the remains somewhere.

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Hildreth (scotthildreth) | 1 comments Hello, my name is Scott Hildreth. I am an author who has penned fifty romance novels, half of which have been #1 bestselling. I recently released a memoir, which depicts my trip to prison, release, and then finding the love of my life.

The book Lover Come Back by Scott Hildreth is currently listed as the #1 bestselling memoir by an actor, actress, or entertainer in USA, Canada, and Australia.

I have no idea if this is the place (in this forum) to list this, but it appears to be the lost logical place.

I will give a dozen copies of the book to club members if they care to read/review the book.

Either way, thank you.

Scott

message 8: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 2940 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "Hello, my name is Scott Hildreth. I am an author who has penned fifty romance novels, half of which have been #1 bestselling. I recently released a memoir, which depicts my trip to prison, release,..."

It is fine for you to post here. I moved the authors discussion to the top if you would like to post there.

Is your give away an ebook or hard copy?

message 9: by Koren (new)

Did anyone watch the new Rosanne last night? What did you think?

message 10: by Koren (new)

A snow storm today in Minnesota. Schools are cancelled. Watching a Fixer Upper marathon on HGTV while reading Chip and Joanna Gaines' (the stars of Fixer Upper) memoir and doing some cleaning because watching Fixer Upper gives me incentive to do some things around my house.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Interesting article on Tsundoku- a term for those who don't read books but surround themselves with them.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/chica...

message 12: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Julie wrote: "Interesting article on Tsundoku- a term for those who don't read books but surround themselves with them.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/chica..."

What a horrible mental disorder that must be! (shudder)

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Came across a cartoon referencing the holiday called Sorry Charlie Day. Turns out it is a real holiday. The things you learn on the internet is never boring. So Happy Sorry Charlie Day to all of you!

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/...

message 14: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments April 15th is That Sucks Day, just because there are so many terrible things that seem to happen that day -- Tax Day in the USA, and Abe Lincoln dying, for instance.

message 15: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments My brother says in his Packard car club they have the car Amelia Earhart used to own.

message 16: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "My brother says in his Packard car club they have the car Amelia Earhart used to own."

Didn't know there was such a thing as a Packard car club. Learn something new every day.

message 17: by Selina (last edited Apr 12, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Koren wrote: "Selina wrote: "My brother says in his Packard car club they have the car Amelia Earhart used to own."

Didn't know there was such a thing as a Packard car club. Learn something new every day."

Well I don't know what happened to Amelia Earhart, but they found her car. http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/201...

message 18: by Koren (new)

Between the weather and taking my granddaughter to volleyball, I might have a record month for reading. Blizzard last weekend, Blizzard this weekend. Yesterday we had rain, sleet, hail, thunder, lightening and 50 mile an hour winds. Today we have a full blown blizzard with roads closed and everything cancelled. I have 8 books read so far this month. Granted they have all been short books. Now I'm on to a Willie Nelson bio that's around 600 pages. Seems Willie has done quite a lot. How is the weather where you are?

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments They're talking freezing rain all night. This really worries me because tonight is the Bad Movie Oscars in Ann Arbor and they're saying do not go out unless you absolutely have to.

message 20: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Weather has been awful here, we had a really bad storm, fallen trees and fences and power outages everywhere.

message 21: by Koren (new)

Fishface wrote: "They're talking freezing rain all night. This really worries me because tonight is the Bad Movie Oscars in Ann Arbor and they're saying do not go out unless you absolutely have to."

Icy roads are the worst. I've driven in snow so much it doesn't bother me but ice....the only accident I've had was when a truck going to fast passed me on glare ice roads and lost control.

message 22: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Fishface wrote: "They're talking freezing rain all night. This really worries me because tonight is the Bad Movie Oscars in Ann Arbor and they're saying do not go out unless you absolutely have to."

What's the Bad Movie Oscars?

message 23: by Lady ♥ Belleza (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 216 comments Thursday - cold
Friday - 70 F
Saturday - 70 to 80 F
Sunday - 30's F
Today - cold and rainy

message 24: by Koren (new)

Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Thursday - cold
Friday - 70 F
Saturday - 70 to 80 F
Sunday - 30's F
Today - cold and rainy"

We got 12 inches of snow this past weekend. Another 5 inches predicted for Wed. Yesterday I could have sworn it was January.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Light snow again after a couple of really nice days! I'm cold - I'm ready for some warm weather.

message 26: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Wet and rainy here perfect day for reading a good book. :-)

Not that sunny days aren't also good, or any other day. Or night.

But for someone who reads in a household where other people don't, or just watch tv, sometimes you need to justify it. I don't understand how people can say "I'm bored there's nothing to do" when, there is all these good books you could be reading.

message 27: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments You said a mouthful, Selina.

message 28: by Koren (new)

To all of you who are mothers: Happy Mother's Day! My daughter-in-law is taking me on a boating cruise today called Mimosas for Mom. No men invited! Should be fun, but I hope the sun comes out.

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Koren wrote: "To all of you who are mothers: Happy Mother's Day! My daughter-in-law is taking me on a boating cruise today called Mimosas for Mom. No men invited! Should be fun, but I hope the sun comes out."

Sounds wonderful!

message 30: by Koren (new)

Julie wrote: "Koren wrote: "To all of you who are mothers: Happy Mother's Day! My daughter-in-law is taking me on a boating cruise today called Mimosas for Mom. No men invited! Should be fun, but I hope the sun ..."

It was a little chilly but otherwise it was fun. We were disappointed that it was crowded and hard to find a seat but the food was wonderful. I dont know why my daughter in law thought there were no men allowed. There were men and kids. Fun to look at all the rich peoples houses.

message 31: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Royal wedding fever seems to have hit some of the oldies at the retirement village I work in. They had decorations and buntings up, and even a bride and groom Harry and Meghan cardboard cut outs.

I guess everyone loves a good wedding. Another village the big boss whos now left, got married and invited everyone in the village to hers, so I was asked did you go to the wedding? I said no, I dont know her that well even...didnt even know she was seeing anybody but the receptionist said well most people went for the free food!

Although she did say well it wasnt too long ago that she got divorced...

I have no wedding plans myself or for others this year but I guess its nice to be invited along.

How about everyone here do you like weddings have you been to any recently?

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Selina wrote: "Royal wedding fever seems to have hit some of the oldies at the retirement village I work in. They had decorations and buntings up, and even a bride and groom Harry and Meghan cardboard cut outs.
..."

The last wedding I went to was my daughter's and it was lovely. We have another coming up this year for a close friend's daughter. I am looking forward to it. I think it depends on the wedding. If it is someone close to us and we know a lot of people there - we usually have fun.

message 33: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "Royal wedding fever seems to have hit some of the oldies at the retirement village I work in. They had decorations and buntings up, and even a bride and groom Harry and Meghan cardboard cut outs.
..."

My nephew's wedding last summer on the lake, casual attire. Beautiful, sunny day. Those are the best weddings.

message 34: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Yesterday was a rainy day just spent most of it curled up on the bed reading a book. YES!
Don't you just love those days.

message 35: by Koren (new)

Selina wrote: "Yesterday was a rainy day just spent most of it curled up on the bed reading a book. YES!
Don't you just love those days."

Yes I do, as long as they dont last more than a day or two. Also, winter is good for something-staying home and reading.

message 36: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Koren wrote: "Selina wrote: "Yesterday was a rainy day just spent most of it curled up on the bed reading a book. YES!
Don't you just love those days."

Yes I do, as long as they dont last more than a day or tw..."

I feel like I never have enough time to read and when I am reading I feel I am getting behind on everything else - such a conundrum.

message 37: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments 3 more books about the Kennedys are waiting for me to read at the library. Am not sure why I am fascinated by their tragedy. I guess its hubris? Or is it pathos?

My brother used to be obssessed with the story of Titanic and would read every book about it. Maybe its just that it was doomed from the start, yet everyone was oblivious to its flaws at the time.

message 38: by Fishface (last edited Oct 11, 2018 09:28AM) (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Selina wrote: "What's the Bad Movie Oscars? "

Sorry I missed this question somehow, Selina. Every April, in Ann Arbor, MI, there's a gala event in the University of Michigan chemistry-department auditorium. These people come from Ohio and set up a projector and show clips of all these terrible movies they've found, and we, the audience, get to vote for the worst movies in various categories. The categories include Worst Acting, Stupidest Looking Monster, Worst Dialogue, Dumbest Science, Most Gratuitous Sex Scene, and Worst Special Effects. Every five years, the winners from previous years compete to be the worst of the worst. I always go home with a headache from laughing so hard for so long.

A few examples of movies I've voted on over the years include KILLER BUZZ, HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP, INCUBUS, ROLLER BLADE, LEPRECHAUN: BACK 2 THE HOOD, CARNOSAUR 3 and THE DOUBLE GARDEN.

message 39: by Selina (last edited Oct 11, 2018 09:32PM) (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Haha so its not the same as the Razzies? Golden raspberries awards.
I remember it was on the news one year that Halle Berry won worst actress for Catwoman, and she even showed up to accept the award! This was after she won best actress the previous year for a movie I don't remember now.

message 40: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments They did once try to give an award to Walter Koenig (best known as Ensign Checkov on Star Trek TOS). He said "I don't want it!" and shooed them away.

message 41: by Koren (new)

To all of those who celebrate: Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. Thank you for being part of the group.

message 42: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1334 comments Koren wrote: "To all of those who celebrate: Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. Thank you for being part of the group."

"Ditto"!

message 43: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments Hallelujah it's Christmas! Gave books and received books :-)

message 44: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Selina wrote: "Haha so its not the same as the Razzies? Golden raspberries awards.
I remember it was on the news one year that Halle Berry won worst actress for Catwoman, and she even showed up to accept the awa..."

The Bad Movie Oscars are completely separate from the Razzies.

message 45: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 33 comments The Bad Movie Oscars sounds great. I love watching terrible movies(& tv)

message 46: by Koren (new)

Erin wrote: "The Bad Movie Oscars sounds great. I love watching terrible movies(& tv)"

I watched one last night that was very strange. Not sure if I would say it was bad. Hubby kept saying "This is weird" but stayed up past his bedtime watching it. It was Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp. I remember watching Dark Shadows on TV in the 60's.

message 47: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2468 comments 'The Favourite' I thought was really bad. I just didn't get the point of it and felt like that was about 2 hours of a waste of time...!
My sister wanted to see it, but I wouldn't have paid to see it. I'm sure it will win awards for terrible acting and nonsensical plot.

message 48: by Koren (new)

Anyone get the Sci Fi network? They are running the old Twilight Zone episodes today and tomorrow. My favorite is coming on in a few minutes-Time Enough At Last.

message 49: by Erin (new)

Erin  | 33 comments I've been watching it All Day!

Poor Henry Bemis, this episode has the cruelest twist.

message 50: by Fishface (last edited Jan 02, 2019 09:07AM) (new)

Fishface | 1678 comments Erin wrote: "The Bad Movie Oscars sounds great. I love watching terrible movies(& tv)"

I go home from it every year with a crashing headache from laughing so much. And a long list of movies I need to see.

I love the DARK SHADOWS movie! It's spooftastic!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8