2021 Reading Challenge discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
ARCHIVE 2014 > A Game of Thrones: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Aug 05, 2014 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3941 comments Our August book will be A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Even if you've already read it, feel free to join in the discussion!

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.

-----

This one's tough because the chapters aren't numbered!
#  Chapter Name
0 Prologue
1 Bran I
2 Catelyn I
3 Daenerys I
4 Eddard I
5 Jon I
6 Catelyn II
7 Arya I
8 Bran II
9 Tyrion I
10 Jon II
11 Daenerys II
12 Eddard II
13 Tyrion II
14 Catelyn III
15 Sansa I
16 Eddard III
17 Bran III
18 Catelyn IV
19 Jon III
20 Eddard IV
21 Tyrion III
22 Arya II
23 Daenerys III
24 Bran IV
25 Eddard V
26 Jon IV
27 Eddard VI
28 Catelyn V
29 Sansa II
30 Eddard VII
31 Tyrion IV
32 Arya III
33 Eddard VIII
34 Catelyn VI
35 Eddard IX
36 Daenerys IV
37 Bran V
38 Tyrion V
39 Eddard X
40 Catelyn VII
41 Jon V
42 Tyrion VI
43 Eddard XI
44 Sansa III
45 Eddard XII
46 Daenerys V
47 Eddard XIII
48 Jon VI
49 Eddard XIV
50 Arya IV
51 Sansa IV
52 Jon VII
53 Bran VI
54 Daenerys VI
55 Catelyn VIII
56 Tyrion VII
57 Sansa V
58 Eddard XV
59 Catelyn IX
60 Jon VIII
61 Daenerys VII
62 Tyrion VIII
63 Catelyn X
64 Daenerys VIII
65 Arya V
66 Bran VII
67 Sansa VI
68 Daenerys IX
69 Tyrion IX
70 Jon IX
71 Catelyn XI
72 Daenerys X

I also found this handy guide for page numbers for different versions: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/...

Links to discussions:
Prologue through Chapter 17
Chapters 18-37
Chapters 38-55
Chapters 56 to end

Post your review here!

message 2: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Mockoviak | 261 comments My cousins recommended these books to me awhile ago and I didn't think they would be my "cup of tea". But I have read the first two books and they are really good! The way Martin sets up the chapters makes you want to keep reading. To everyone joining this month's read, I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1277 comments Karen wrote: "My cousins recommended these books to me awhile ago and I didn't think they would be my "cup of tea". But I have read the first two books and they are really good! The way Martin sets up the chapt..."

Good to know! Because I don't think they're my "cup of tea" either!

message 4: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Mockoviak | 261 comments Megan I would definitely give it a try! It took some time to get through it because its a decent sized book, but the story lines are great. Lots of action, and very strong characters.

message 5: by Ariana (last edited Jul 28, 2014 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana Carrillo (arianaa24) | 25 comments Actually the same happened to me. My friend insisted me to read them and, believe me, it was difficult for him to convince me but at the end I'm so glad he did. I'm currently reading the second one and I'm obsessed with it. It is so captivating, you'll always want to know what is going to happen with the characters. So I definitely recommend it.

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I'm in! This has been on my to read shelf for two years?

message 7: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments I have co workers who love the TV series based on the book but I personally haven't watched even one episode or read as much as a description of the book. I guess I will have to start watching the show if the book is good! Starting the book today. I'm going to alternate between a digital book in epub format and a digital audiobook so I should make it through pretty fast.

message 8: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I might join this, probably towards the end of August. I've had the first five books sitting on my shelf for a while but I keep pushing it back. This will give me an excuse to just sit down and read them. :)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 219 comments I have took a huge break from the first book of the series and I'm halfway done with the book, but I would be happy to continue to read it with guys if you don't mind me being really ahead of you guys.

message 10: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Mockoviak | 261 comments Lyndi, I read the first book and then watched the first season of the show, it was very well done! It lines up perfectly with the book so it doesn't spoil anything for the second one. If you like the book. I would recommend the show as well! I've also read the second book but have not watched the second season so I don't know about that one yet.

message 11: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3941 comments Okay, the first thread has been updated for the discussion threads.

Has anyone started yet?

Albany (albanycarmona) I'm starting this today. 800+ pages feels like a daunting task and I hate reading stories where I already more or less know what's going to happen to the characters (because of the TV series) but I'm still very curious. So, onwards!

message 13: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Hutson | 11 comments I'm going to listen to the audio book and book; hopefully I can conquer this task.

Kathleen Alexander | 159 comments Started the book today. Have made it to page 76, not sure what chapter though. So far so good. :)

Albany (albanycarmona) I actually had to write down the chapter titles and number them so I could participate in the other threads. So far loving the book.

Kathleen Alexander | 159 comments Albany, that is a really smart idea..I should do that. Thank you for making me think! :)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 219 comments Kara wrote: "Okay, the first thread has been updated for the discussion threads.

Has anyone started yet?"

I have started to read the pages that I didn't read from my huge summer break from this book, which lasted for months.

message 18: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3941 comments ...oh my goodness. The chapters aren't numbered! I'm so sorry. I was basing it off a guide and just assumed. I'll have to remedy this.

message 19: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Mockoviak | 261 comments Kara, the chapters are the characters names. It is a really great set-up because it makes you want to get to the the next chapter about that character!

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments give them a try Megan! I'm the one who nominated it so you can kill me. lol. one piece of advice I will give to everyone reading is don't fall in love with any character. anything can happen! I am giving the series a break for a little while and then I'll be ready to start up on book 3.

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Kara. the chapters aren't numbered!! that's what makes it difficult. I would just put the schedule down by pages OR just not have different links and have people ask their questions or put comments as they read and just have everyone have the book done by the 31st or around there

message 22: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments My absolute favourite character is Jon Snow. Can't wait to read what everyone thinks of this book

Albany (albanycarmona) Splitting it up by pages isn't such a good idea since some of us read it in ebook format or even audiobook. It's not hard to figure out the chapter numbers anyway, I say leave it how it is.

message 24: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments I also did half audio it is nice listening in the car to work and back

message 25: by Kara, TBR Twins (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3941 comments Okay, guys, I've added chapters above and on each thread, and I've also listed the page numbers for the US paperback and hardcover editions, the UK hardcover, the Kindle version, and the EPUB version.

Hope that helps!

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments that's true albany! :) its a hard book to read as a group since some of the chapter names are the same. I'm ready for book 3. my favorite character so far is catherine.

Albany (albanycarmona) Ok Kara thanks! That covers them all.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Swift | 18 comments Just started and I am excited to participate in the discussions.

message 29: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments I tried to read it and I tried to listen to the audiobook but I just couldn't get into it. I'm going to have to skip it this month.

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1277 comments Lyndi wrote: "I tried to read it and I tried to listen to the audiobook but I just couldn't get into it. I'm going to have to skip it this month."

How far did you get?

message 31: by LyndiLea (new)

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments Read the first 20 pages listened to the equivalent

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1277 comments Lyndi wrote: "Read the first 20 pages listened to the equivalent"

Oh, yeah, I can definitely see that. I struggled at the beginning too. So many characters introduced right from the start. I'm almost 1/3 of the way through and I'm still struggling, but now mostly because the size of the book is overwhelming and I want to finish it by Sunday.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Game of Thrones (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George R.R. Martin (other topics)