Wonder (Wonder, #1) Wonder question

Am I the only one who didn't like this book?
Elizabeth Elizabeth Jul 23, 2014 06:38AM
To be honest I really didn't care for this book. I understand if you did, But please enlighten me as to what you saw in this book that made it good. thank you.

This is a great book. It's about how you fit in in middle school, but with August, it was much more difficult, as everyone knows. How struggles will come along and good friends will come along and pick you up (Summer and Jack).

This book is a masterpiece in one way or another. It's a nice light/quick read, I actually almost finished it on the plane.
I loved how the author writes the perspective of a little kid, I loved the POV's, I loved the end and it's a book that made me cry several times, I don't understand why would someone dislike a book with a good concept and a great writing? But then it's your opinion.

I agree with Georgina.

I didn't like how the people talked. It wasn't realistic. 5th graders don't say cool beans and date and stuff. I was in 5th grade when I read this so.

ᏒIᎪ I am aware of bullying but still thought that these kids talked older and acted older. No one I knew really related to it.
Oct 12, 2014 10:34AM
Rosella I agree that the dating seemed older, although I've known fifth graders through the years who say they are "dating" in the way that the fifth graders ...more
Oct 12, 2014 10:37AM

I'm not sure what made me like this book so much. Maybe it was the author's writing style, maybe it was the satisfying ending. The point of view switching, for me, worked.

When someone doesn't like a book that I liked/liked a book that I disliked, I look at their profile to see if most of the books they read are books I wouldn't be interested in reading. I almost always find that the books they read don't interest me/ I read and disliked.

So maybe it's a matter of different taste in books, different genres enjoyed. The reasons I like this book might be the reasons you don't like it. I just find that interesting. :)

yes you're

I read this book pretty soon after it came out. It took me about an hour and a half, and I hated it.

I don't like pity party books, and this is what this came across as to me. It wanted me to feel bad for this character, but it didn't work, at least, not in the way the author wanted it to.

I did feel bad for the character. I felt bad that the character had such dumb parents as to hide their kid away from the world instead of integrating him from birth. I felt bad that the kid hadn't learned social skills as a result of that sheltered life.

I felt bad for the side characters, who treated the kid like glass or trash because he looked different.

I was raised to overlook differences. I have a couple blind friends, and a couple on crutches, and more. I don't even think before asking my blind friend if she's "seen" a movie, or if my friend on crutches wants to quick "run" somewhere with me. I don't do it to be rude or make fun. I simply don't even notice the differences. If I met a person such as this main character, I can say with complete confidence that all judging would be done on their personality, not their appearance. And that's why this book bugged me. Because in my experiences, though people can be cruel, extremes such as what the main character faced are not the norm.

I enjoyed the book and had to review it and also a cross section of reviews as part of a uni assignment. What I found most intriguing was the discrepancies between adult reviews and children reviews. Most adult reviews mentioned the precepts in one way or another whereas children's reviews rarely referred to them. For me that highlights how adult authors taking the child/children's perspectives do not always get it 100% correct. Children reviewed the book from a gut reaction to how they felt towards the injustices perpetrated against Auggie for something he couldn't change. Another highlight from the children's perspective is the acclaim they afford Summer as her friendship was entirely her own making rather than an imposed one by the school. I would therefore highly recommend this book to any child who wishes to read a thought provoking book and any adult who would like to enjoy precepts of life. As a teacher I can see how I would highlight the precepts to my class but also be mindful that is not where the message of the book truly emanates.

I truly enjoyed this book! Like others said I did the Peoples' Eyebrow when the students said "cool beans" like it was the 70s again. Other than that, I think the author could really capture the voice of a bullied child. Things Auggie said, did or thought reminded me a lot of myself while in elementary school. You want everyone to like you, but you don't know how to get them to! I enjoyed the switching POVs to get into the minds and hearts of others who loved Auggie just for being him.

I disliked how the book ended! It annoyed me that by the end of the year everyone loved Auggie. Kids who didn't want to touch him just last week was huddling together to take a picture with him. Parents who bought photoshopped pictures of him pushed their kid to pose at graduation. I was thinking, seriously? As an adult and as a teacher who works with middle schoolers, I know that while it may happen, events like that are very very rare. I guess the ending was to be a moral lesson to readers. Connect with Auggie, next time you see a kid who looks exiled, reach out to them!

What made you dislike it?

deleted member Jul 23, 2014 08:49AM   0 votes
I loved this book and hated it at the same time. I hated the way that others treated August and how he felt about his appearance but I love how it was portrayed. As for "cool beans" and other unrealistic sayings, I don't focus on them when I read the book. This has got to be one of the saddest books I've read in a while...

Why don't you tell us why you didn't like it?

i really liked it

I really enjoyed this book because it wasn't predictable and it had a great story to it.

i think the book was just about a kid wanting to be normal in a judgmental world where he is shunned, it is sad but its not a bad book!!

deleted member Jul 23, 2014 06:42AM   -1 votes
No, you aren't! Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one!

I enjoyed this book up to page 250. Then the story was getting too long and I wanted to done with it. I also disliked that a book that was being so realistic opted for a fairy tale ending. As I say in my review - having been kid who was teased I find such endings very unhelpful. To me they send two messages one that I haven't found the right way to acceptance and two that adults are clueless about teasing. When I discovered Judy Blume's book Blubber I was thrilled to discover one adult who really did understand bullying.

I loved the writing style but the ending was pathetically unrealistic. I know it might appeal to the younger end of the audience but not to me. I loved the book though.

*sigh* read my review to find out why I don't agree with you.