✨ Adults Who Read YA ✨ discussion

Riveted Reading Challenge 2018 > Read a book about a character who’s struggling with mental illness

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
Read a book about a character who’s struggling with mental illness

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina (dinobrarian) | 697 comments Mod
Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1) by Maureen Johnson

In Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson , Stevie occasionally suffers from panic attacks and anxiety. We get to see her internal process when she is dealing with stress, as well as a few panic attacks. We also are told what medicines she is using, which I thought was a nice touch. Stevie seems to have a good handle on herself, but with what is going on at the school I'd say this is a constant for her. Also she's dealing with a lot of new social situations, which keeps that anxiety right under the surface.

That's all wrapped into our main character, who is awesome and unique and I will enjoy reading more about her in the series to come.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (readinthecorner) | 108 comments Lost Soul, Be At Peace by Maggie Thrash

Lost Soul, Be At Peace was a fantastic piece of work! It's Maggie Thrash's follow-up to her first graphic novel memoir Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir during her struggle with depression. I loved this second installment so much that I read it much more quickly than expected.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (katlikespie) | 15 comments I read Highly Illogical Behavior, which has a main character with agoraphobia. He hasn't left his house in years! I've had a lot of anxiety over the years but I can't imagine being stuck inside for that long. (I hesitate to use the word "stuck," because it's his choice, but it's not like it's his decision to be agoraphobic to begin with.)