Start by marking “Lost Soul, Be at Peace” as Want to Read:
Lost Soul, Be at Peace

Lost Soul, Be at Peace

A year and a half after the summer that changed her life, Maggie Thrash wishes she could change it all back. She's trapped in a dark depression and flunking the 11th grade, befuddling her patrician mother while going unnoticed by her father, a workaholic federal judge. The only thing Maggie really cares about is her cat, Tommi...who then disappears somewhere in the walls o ...more
Published October 9th 2018 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Lost Soul, Be at Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Soul, Be at Peace

Start your review of Lost Soul, Be at Peace
David Schaafsma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn-women, gn-ya
I very much liked Maggie Thrash’s Honor Girl, an autobiographical YA novel about an important summer in her teenaged life. Lost Soul, also YA, is longer, more ambitious, a memoir about her junior year in high school. Thrash is a rich and privileged white kid, and this story seems in part about that: Growing up in a wealthy family in a year she is tanking in her elite private school, dealing with a bout of (mild? who can say?) depression and gaining some kind of—again—self-realization. She strugg ...more
Julie Zantopoulos
In the second graphic novel memoir (or sorts) that Maggie has written, I enjoyed this one much more. There's a ghost story in this one but also a sincere look at the things we sacrifice when we grow up, mental health, family dynamics, and the things we do to protect ourselves and our families.

Maggie took on a lot more with this graphic novel than her last. In this story we explore coming out in high school, hobbies, family, depression, the judicial system, eating disorders, body dysmorphia, and
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh, this was so strange and wonderful.
Renata
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, ya, lgbtq
ok so first of all, upsetting spoiler:

(view spoiler)

but nonetheless I loved this book. It's so funny and strange in places, but also a really moving emotional journey. I'm also not sure what to call this? It's less of a straightforward memoir than Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir was, and I think I like it all the more for that?

also honestly bonus star for this panel alone:

["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Licha
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not expecting to really like this book when I first started it. Based on the synopsis I was expecting something like Neil Gaiman's Coraline. Per the author this is for the most part a memoir but it doesn't really feel like one because there are elements of the paranormal in here. Not that that can't happen to someone, but a cat that disappears through a hallway that suddenly appears out of nowhere and a ghost does not exactly scream out "true story".

At the start, Maggie is going through wh
Adam Stone
One of my favorite parts of working in a comic book store is when I'm putting away new releases, and I pick up a book that I would never have noticed in a store, and end up loving it.

I haven't read Honor GIrl because the art didn't grab me, but now that I've finished "Lost Soul, Be At Peace", it's moved to My Must Read List.

I just finished reading another graphic memoir where the author completely failed to connect with me, even though we are roughly the same age, and the subjects they were writ
Nusrat Mahmood
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
who could possibly write (or Should I Say Draw) her memoir so beautifully? Maggie Thrash nailed it.
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lost Soul, Be at Peace is part memoir and part ghost story. Maggie Thrash walks us through some of her experiences during her late teens and how they have come to shape her as a person and understand her family.

This is a wonderful graphic novel - I did not anticipate the ending at all and it made me quite emotional. Sometimes it's easy to forget that those who love us most (or should love us most) also had their own childhood experiences that shaped them.

Anyone who has had experience with existe
Alexandra
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
wow. i’m really impressed with this one, and as much as i enjoyed honor girl, i liked this one a whole lot more. 🐱

a mansion, a grey cat named tomasina who was maggie’s best friend, a gun, a ghost boy, a red hallway that appears and disappears, emotionally cold and aloof parents, and the realization that “all that lives must die, passing through nature into eternity” makes this memoir a really powerful one.

it’s part ghost story, which maggie explains in the author’s note at the end, and part mys
Jenny
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
While I didn't enjoy this one as much as Honor Girl, I still found it to be an absorbing read. I always feel that I am a bit biased when it comes to reviewing books about lesbians, because I tend to find them more relatable. I think what I like best about this graphic novel, and Thrash's work in general, is her humor and vulnerability.
Raven Black
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy read. More fantastical than Honor Girl. Dealing with the past and ghosts. Even the living ones.
emma
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maggie feels muffled within her life, mostly ignored by her parents, flunking eleventh grade, and haunted by a boy ghost... all while searching her house for her missing cat.

The cover is both warm and cold, evoking mystery and a dreamlike landscape that is very reflective of both the story and the spirit of the book.

While the art style isn't immediately captivating, in my own opinion, I loved the way it wrapped me in a world. The softness deepened the muted murkiness of Maggie's world and was so
Christine Stamper
While not quite as poignant, deep, or--ironically--haunting as Thrash's debut Honor Girl, I still really enjoyed this look into growing up, parent-child relationships, and depression.
Rebecca
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do not usually read graphic novels but when I do they are written by Maggie Thrash, and they are graphic memoirs. This book is a follow up to Thrash's first book Honor Girl which was a coming of age and coming out story, the new book begins to explore parental relationships from a very unique perspective. Struggling with depression and failing grades Maggie's beloved cat goes missing and in the quest to find "Tommi" she discovers much more and so will you! I also love the art work in Thrash's ...more
Marco Morano
Cool concept, but not the best execution. The art style is... mediocre at most. You do get used to it after a bit, but it was definitely not for me. Personally, I enjoy really crisp, clear and concise art, but the art in this book was just messy and not that great. I did think the plot was interesting; the discussion of privilege was something I really enjoyed, but it doesn't stick out much.
Peg
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was able to read a preview copy of this book and found it hauntingly lovely. More great graphics and coloration in the style of Honor Girl. An amusing and heartfelt look at traversing the shoals of high school and life.
Lily the Bibliophile
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Thrash, knocking it out of the park yet again. This book was SO GOOD. The ending made me gasp and smile and cry.
Barbara
I really enjoyed Honor Girl, the previous graphic novel by Maggie Thrash. This one, set a year and a half later, didn't excite me as much, perhaps because there are so many oddities and unanswered questions at the end of the book. Maggie is now an eleventh grader and feeling increasingly distanced from her parents. Her mother is mired in the past and the great deeds of her ancestors as well as loving to shop for expensive items while her father spends most of us time consumed by his job as a jud ...more
Melissa
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three years after the publication of Honor Girl, Maggie Thrash returns to her graphic memoirs with a second installment that maintains the brutal honesty of life as a teenager and the ghosts that haunt our past and present. Thrash elevates her story by projecting her inner feelings into tangible elements, emulating her own fears for readers to grasp and understand.

Thrash's illustration technique has developed slightly since her first foray into graphic novels while her approach remains the same
Jessica Woodbury
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This didn't quite grab me the way HONOR GIRL did, it's more of an exercise in the specific kind of melancholy teenagers can find themselves in when you're convinced no one in the world understands you. In Maggie's case, it means a mother who never listens and pretends she's not a lesbian, a father who rarely speaks, and a cat that's gone missing but no one cares. Oh, and a ghost.

I wanted Thrash to pull on some of the threads here a little more, especially her relationship with her fat
Hannah Garden
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: january-2020, comics
Aw man fuckn Maggie Thrash rules so hard.
Trisha
Beautifully layered, quietly poignant and also thoughtful.

Memoir but also fictionalised, graphic illustrations are fitting and add richness to the story.
Andi
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked it. Can be read stand alone, but you shouldn't ... read Honor Girl first.

Heavy and a bit weird and very revelatory, discovering you know nothing about your parents... captures being a teenager well.
Anna
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced galley of Lost Soul, Be At Peace by Maggie Thrash through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Maggie Thrash’s first graphic memoir Honor Girl was published 3 years ago and details Thrash’s experience at an all-girls camp and her realization that she identifies as a lesbian. Her second graphic memoir Lost Soul, Be At Peace takes place after that summer camp. It is not necessary to have read the first memoir in order to make sense of this one.

Lost Soul, Be At Peace de
Ai Miller
First off, I have to say that I received an ARC of this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to read it.

I will also say that I did not read the book that this is the sequel to (insofar as memoirs have like "sequels"...) and so I have no idea if that impacted the way I read it. Also the copy I received was in black and white, which definitely impacted how I read it; I imagine a lot of what is great about Thrash's art is the coloring, and so whi
Michael Du Pré
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poignant, funny, smart, engaging, and emotionally powerful. This is the story of what happens in a young girl's soul when her father is emotionally absent, and how one girl came to terms with it, and with her father.

Hidden within the witty humor and the whimsical style are great wisdom and deep pathos; in fact, the contrast serves to accentuate them. Maggie has the capacity to sincerely laugh at her own genuine pain, and the courage to invite us to share in the dark merriment. She fearlessly op
Kim
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful graphic novel of teenage angst.
However, it's a couple of days later and the impact hasn't stayed with me. Not the novels fault more mine, being someone a few decades past teenage angst.
I think this graphic novel could really sing to many other readers, particularly young adult readers.
grieshaber.reads
I've said it many times, the graphic format is my favorite way to read a memoir. Author, Maggie Thrash, recounts her evoking depression, the loss of her cat, and the awareness of her parents' humanity during her junior year of high school. The fantastical element she adds to the recognition of her father's past experiences is especially well done.
Alejandro Dodds
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing.
Amanda
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
ARC review: Maggie’s story telling is wonderful. Memoirs are always so interesting and I love Maggie’s unique voice, honesty, and humor in this book. I can’t wait to read it again when it’s in full color!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Gender Queer
  • Stargazing
  • Simon & Louise
  • Flocks
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Girl Town
  • I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir
  • Woman World
  • The Breakaways
  • Home After Dark
  • Cannonball
Maggie Thrash grew up in the South. She is the author of the graphic memoir Honor Girl, which is her coming out story. Strange Truth and Strange Lies were inspired by her experiences at an exclusive prep school in Atlanta, where everyone had secrets.

You can also find her on lonercomics.com and on instagram @maggiethrash

News & Interviews