Start by marking “Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir” as Want to Read:
Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir

Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  8,389 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews
All-girl camp. First love. First heartbreak. At once romantic and devastating, brutally honest and full of humor, this graphic-novel memoir is a debut of the rarest sort.

Maggie Thrash has spent basically every summer of her fifteen-year-old life at the one-hundred-year-old Camp Bellflower for Girls, set deep in the heart of Appalachia. She’s from Atlanta, she’s never kisse
Published September 8th 2015 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Honor Girl, please sign up.
Wendy See, I just took it off my PG-13 shelf in my 7th-8th grade classroom library after reading it. The occasional f-bombs and crude jokes are not pervasiv…moreSee, I just took it off my PG-13 shelf in my 7th-8th grade classroom library after reading it. The occasional f-bombs and crude jokes are not pervasive or offensive enough to warrant being put aside for older kids, and the fact that the protagonist is gay is hardly a "mature theme" in and of itself. I would say middle school and up.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alex It was a dream. :)

·  8,389 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews

Start your review of Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir
Raeleen Lemay
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this but why did it have to end like that? I WANTED MOOOORE. Like it was realistic (obviously, it's a true story), but I felt like it ended too suddenly, like it was cut off in the middle of a sentence.

What I really loved while reading this was how easy it was to relate to the main character. Being confused by your feelings and going to camp.... SO LOVELY. I also liked that the art style wasn't anything too fancy, it felt very real and accessible.

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer
BooktubeAThon Challenge #3: Read a book entirely outside - COMPLETE!

Okay this is actually like a 4.751328482, docking that small amount because I WANTED MOOOOORE! This graphic novel was hilarious and perfect. What a great exploration of sexuality and BACKSTREET BOYS REFERENCES. Also, fuck O-Town. Fight me.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Loved it! And I loved the simple graphics. Going on my Amazon Wishlist!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Cristina Monica
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such an honest memoir.

Maggie is spending her summer at a camp for Christian girls. Fortunately, it’s more exciting than it sounds. They don’t just pray all day. Maggie, for example, wants to master shooting with a rifle. I had no idea such a thing would be allowed in a camp like this, but that is awesome.

When she gets to Camp Bellflower for Girls, Maggie quickly notices Erin, a camp counsellor who is quiet, like her. Her desire to be near her and touch her makes Maggie question her sexuality a
Elyse  Walters
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think when telling a sensitive life story... a 'graphic-novel' adds a very special element. The few times I've read 'graphic-memoirs'- they've had a lasting impression on me. "Honor Girl", is no exception and invites us into the world of summer camp.

Maggie is dealing with her sexuality. She has strong feelings for an older girl, named Erin, who is a camp counselor.

There is camp in itself....getting along with other teens, activities, rest hour, writing letters home, talk about boys, and "gir
David Schaafsma
I really liked this. As Maggie will be quick to point out, it's obvious it was not written for me, a middle aged white straight guy, but you know, it turns out it actually was. This is a girl's summer camp story, story of first love, first love of young Maggie at 15, crushing on a 19 year old (girl) counselor, and I didn't like the artwork at first--too minimal--but then I thought it was enough, usually and subtly revealing, as I came to ease into the story.

A couple of the girls were hard to ke
Whitney Atkinson
I love that this book took place at a camp; it was the perfect summer vibes. Also liked this story about discovering sexuality and your first love and how the confusion of that doesn't always end with closure. The main downfall of this book was just that it felt a little bit long for what it was, and the art style was incredibly primitive and simplistic, almost like I could have drawn these panels in color pencil with the same artistic ability. I liked the message, but it's my least favorite art ...more
Jan Philipzig
Isn’t it refreshing every once in a while to come across comic-book characters that feel and think and behave like actual human beings? Maggie Thrash seems to have some kind of magical access to the mindset of her younger, pubescent self, and the result is a story that makes you realize just how rare subtle, thoughtful, realistic, sympathetic portrayals of teenagers are in popular culture these days.

The drawing style looks rather amateurish and clumsy at first glance, but it is carefully compose
Eilonwy

The summer she turns 15, Maggie goes to the same summer camp in southern Kentucky that she's attended forever. But this year, the unexpected happens. First she learns to focus well enough to become an ace rifle shot when she was previously pretty sloppy. And then she develops a crush on Erin, a 19-year-old counselor in the junior camp.

Both of these events affect her relationships with everyone else and combine to create horribly complicated interactions.

Libby, who has always been ahead of Magg
Christy
3 stars

I liked this one a lot, I just wish it had more of an ending. The art and story were both great, though.
Julie Zantopoulos
Rating a review is always a bit stressful. Overall, I enjoyed the art style and the story - which isn’t her story, it’s just her life. I loved the camp vibes and the friendships and first love/crushes that were explored but the Backstreet Boys references were lost on me. I am however a fan of target shooting so I was down with that part of the story. The ending was, frankly, garbage. I hated it. It legitimately made me angry. It was probably a 3.5 ish read but I rated up cause, pretty cover.
emily
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novles
I really enjoyed this!!!! It was a nice story about coming to terms with your sexuality and honestly I liked how it didn't end up nicely. The end is not nice, just a forewarning, not a spoiler. I really liked how the setting of Maggie's story was at summer camp--I feel odd saying that as if she choose the setting but it's a memoir so her story actually did take place at a summer camp. But as I said it was an aspect that I really liked. I'm really glad she shared her coming-to-terms-with-her-se ...more
Emily May
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
I get why people like the LGBT coming-of-age story, but the artwork was really bad. I couldn't get past it. Another reviewer said they were surprised it was still readable despite the author's inability to draw - honestly, for me, it wasn't.

Liz
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked the story and the pacing of this book: perfect memoir fodder, for sure. I feel a little wary of this opinion, but the artwork and the use of the computer font made it hard for me to really just dive into the book. There were a lot of emotional moments that fell flat because the characters don't have pupils, and a blank, white eyeball floating on a head doesn't really display a character's feelings very well. However, the fact that the story is very readable DESPITE this shortcomin ...more
Matthew Hernandez
My first time reading a graphic memoir and a lesbian coming of age story at that. I was very moved by this compelling story. It was beautiful! I tend to lean toward m/m or m/f novels that I want to change that and I want to experience new perspectives of life out here in this world that it open me to check out more LGBTQ+ novels...everyone read this wonderful novel!
Raina
Imagine your best friend is telling you the story of her first love affair with a woman.
That's how this book feels.

This isn't the first book about girls falling in love at summer camp. Far from it. Thrash frames the story by depicting a time when she saw this other woman again, years later. She includes a lot of the context of their love - drama with the other campers, the extra level of taboo (the other woman was a counselor), an unusual incident of a flood isolating the campers away from the
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

I'm the type of bookworm who rarely reads graphic novels. It's not like I don't want to—I really do, like I always wanted to pick up the Saga series. I just have so many books in my life right now to read and I'm actually on a book-buying ban. Anyways... Honor Girl was the perfect quick read for me. Plus, it's a TRUE NON-FICTION STORY from the author's perspective. It's her memoir, drawn by her and written by her! Thi
Dov Zeller
In the first chapter of this graphic memoir we are brought across the river into the world of an-old school Christian girls summer camp by almost-mythical ferry, also known as a "man-pushed barge." This comes after the prologue in which two years has passed and Maggie, 17, reunites with Erin, now 21ish, and Erin, over the course of two panels, with ice cream, in a desert landscape (New Mexico), says: "Can I tell you something a little strange? I never thought I'd see you again."

So, we spend the
Melissa
Maggie Thrash’s formative experiences at Camp Bellfower as a fifteen year old coming to the realization that she’s a lesbian. The art work was a little bland for my taste, but the writing is lovely. Maggie cracks a lot of wise & so do her friends, but at no time did they seem too clever for their britches. Since the defining view of this on GR seem to be about how adorable the romance is, I've got to be honest about how hard I am side-eyeing Erin, the camp counselor who Maggie develops a crush o ...more
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Such a beautiful and fun story! I felt completely transported into the world of this book, and it definitely gave me that summer-camp vibe. I really loved Maggie's character, and I thought all of the side characters were really fun as well. It was a really wonderful look into how Maggie dealt with her sexuality in such an important time in her life. It all had this ringing sense of realism, which is really good as it is a graphic memoir.
As far as the art style, it was not what I was expecting at
Trevor
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been trying to get into graphic novels more & naturally decided to go with one on the top of my radar. Besides the obvious LGBTQIAP+ theme, the real bonus was the camp setting. Sleepaway Camp, anyone? While Thrash is clearly not the best artist, & I admit I sometimes had to do a double take on which character was speaking (they pretty much all look the same, save for possible variety of hair color), I don't rate GNs on how well done the graphics are. When I read something, it's solely for t ...more
Kayla Rayne
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Not every moment has to happen."

Are you looking for a fun summer read that happens at summer camp, includes a MC who has a slight obsession with The Backstreets Boys, and follows the story of a girl who is on the cusp of discovering her sexuality? Well here it is! Seriously, this was such a sweet and summery coming of age memoir. There were so many things that I loved about this graphic novel.

The good:

-This is a graphic novel featuring a young Maggie Thrash as she explores her sexuality at a
Kelly
This is a sweet graphic memoir about one summer at camp and falling in love. I've really loved the recent growth of graphic memoirs/novels that explore gender and sexuality, among other really tough issues, and this one fits squarely and nicely within it.

Because this is Thrash's story, it's set in 2000, so the references are straight from that era (boy bands, for one, including a reference to O-Town's "Liquid Dreams"). It doesn't feel like it's nostalgia for nostalgia's sake; it works because i
ellie
4.5 out of 5 stars. I really, really liked this. I think it felt honest and understandable, especially as a gay girl, and it felt realistic. A teenager who’s struggling with herself and her feelings for a girl. Both things she had never even though about before. And reading it in graphic novel form, too, i think made it more realistic and relatable? like I could picture myself sitting in a corner questioning things. I just wish it didn’t end so abruptly and like, open. I don’t know.

What was I d
jess
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
well. I read this book. now I feel incredibly fucked up and sad. why is it so hard to be young and fall in love with a cute girl at summer camp?

so, you should read it too. but don't talk to me about it. I plan on blocking out the intensity of these feelings ASAP.
Enne (they/them)
This was absolutely amazing!! I know I just complained about how rating nonfiction is hard for me but like,,, this is really good. In case you couldn't tell, I am absolute trash for graphic novel memoirs about women discovering they're queer so this was exactly up my alley. It also talked about the relationship between queerness and religion which is always something I'm intrigued by. I really enjoyed the way the story unfolded, too, and how it read a lot like a fiction book in terms of its paci ...more
Jamie Peterson
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet memoir I nearly did not get a hold of due to my dislike of the art style at first. That bit sort of grew on me.
Thrash really captures what it was like to be 15, as well as finding yourself and learning that in life some things just end. I think a lot of people dislike the ending but it's based on real life events and I think it felt appropriate and had a sense of letting go. I particularly felt enamored by the very last page.

I enjoyed the camp narrations, the relationships betw
Jenni
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh god. This book. I wish I could go back in time and hand this to 17 year old me. I don't have words to express my feelings about this book and how very deeply I relate. Such a heart felt and real picture of what it feels like to be a teenager coming to terms with your sexuality. The fears, the doubts, need to talk. This was everything. I know I'll read this again and again.
Mississippi Library Commission
This coming-of-age graphic memoir swept us back to our own experiences at summer camp: learning new skills, meeting new people, dealing with the "popular" kids, finding yourself, first crush, first love, first broken heart... Read this for a bittersweet blast of nostalgia.
Olivia
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful graphic novel that illustrates the pain and longing of first love, and the letdown when you discover that the object of your affections isn't perfect.

• Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir
  • Skim
  • Be Prepared
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
Maggie Thrash grew up in the South. She is the author of the graphic memoir Honor Girl, which is her coming out story. Strange Truth and Strange Lies were inspired by her experiences at an exclusive prep school in Atlanta, where everyone had secrets.

You can also find her on lonercomics.com and on instagram @maggiethrash

News & Interviews

“Not every moment has to happen.” 16 likes
“Well that's exactly the magic of the Backstreet Boys.

They Transcend all that stuff.”
2 likes