Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge > The Last Hope before the End of the World due to the Collapsing of All the Unread Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 322 (322 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 2: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Love the name of your topic :) Good luck with this challenge!

message 3: by Rea (new)

Rea Sanders (realauren89) | 42 comments I cant do these dont buy book things because I be snapping up steals left and right. Then i have prime reading and kindle unlimited and i get 5 dollar credits on the regular plus prime first.

My kindle cloud library is a scary place to be.

message 4: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Thanks !
I thought by giving it a dramatic and epic name, I might be more motivated to do it ^^
Rea, that's what I did in December... and with the Kindle indeed I didn't even really feel like I was cheating. To make things easier, I'm planning a derogation every two row : I can buy one more book, if it is a sequel. So that I can tackle my series a bit, too, hopefully.

message 5: by Elinor (last edited Jan 08, 2020 01:37PM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments 2019 rounds :
(view spoiler)

2018 rounds :
(view spoiler)

Books I already own that I would like to get to in 2018 (in no particular order)

1. La volonté du dragon (French author)
2. Faefever (Fever book 3)
3. Mercy Thompson book 7
4. Night huntress book 6
5. La geste du Sixième Royaume (French author)
6. Les guerriers du silence book 1 (French author)
7. Old man's war
8. Riyria revelation book 1
9. Assassin's quest
10. The Kiss of deception (book 1)
11. The Winner's Crime and The Winner's Kiss (books 2 and 3)
12. Wool
13. A man lay dead
14. Prince of fools, The Liar's key and The Wheel of Osheim
15. The Witcher book 1
16. Origin (Lux book 4)
17. Alien proliferation (book 4)
18. Just one damned thing after an other
19. Academ's fury
20. Queen of shadow (Throne of glass book 4)
21. The Rithmatist
22. The Fall of Hyperion
23. Further tales of the city (book 3)
24. Horngate Witches books 2, 3 and 4
25. one Jane Austen : Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion...
26. Dream Hunters book 1
27. All the light we cannot see
28. The companion (Lizzie Martin book 1)
29. L'homme au ventre de plomb (French author)
30. Hope and Red

message 6: by Elinor (last edited Jan 22, 2021 01:04PM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments 2020 rounds

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments February TBR (already own) :
Prince of Fools (buddy read)
Agony
Enter a Murderer
La Morsure du givre

The "I should have read / finish these in january but..."
The Hero of Ages
Spellslinger
Rhapsodic

The "already started and put down for a reason or another" book to finish in February :
Talleyrand : Le Prince Immobile

The "not already purchased but might want to get to in February if I have time" :
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Hopefully I can read a few of them, plus getting started on my March BR so that I won't be too late (because I will need some advance to finish every BR I planned in March)

message 8: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Oopsie, I did indulge myself with a few books not already earned... Les Fiancés de l'hiver, The School for Good and Evil, La Messagère du ciel and Véridienne. I'm not going to count them since that would had to much guilt which would in turn become a huge buying spree, I now it. I'm not feeling guily about them, I did well for 2 months so...

message 9: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4188 comments Anni wrote: "Love the name of your topic :) Good luck with this challenge!"

How did I not notice this excellent and glorious thread title before?
😄 armageddon is heeeeere!
Is this the same Elinor I chatted with @ American Gods read?
Hi, you!

message 10: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Zaara wrote: "Anni wrote: "Love the name of your topic :) Good luck with this challenge!"

How did I not notice this excellent and glorious thread title before?
😄 armageddon is heeeeere!
Is this the same Elinor..."

Oops I kind of mist your post ! Nope I didn't read American Gods, so it's not me :)
I find that having the apocalypse looming over my head is kind of motivating. Somehow.
However, I didn't read any novels or essays since February. Hum. I'm not proud of myself, either. I did read a few mangas and a lot of comics, though. But that didn't help me with my TBR, unfortunatly. (and I did buy a few books, but I'm not going to not count them, since there are only 3 of them and I think I can ante-earned them. yes I can)
But here I am ! Having just finished Talleyrand's biography ! Hooray !

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I absolutely love the name of your challenge! Good luck! :)

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Laura wrote: "I absolutely love the name of your challenge! Good luck! :)"

Thank you :) I'm not doing that well (a few "oops I bought 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 books I haven't earn... how well... I won't earn them before a few months so... not counting them...", but not that bad either (a few slips indeed but not as many as I feared so)

message 13: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I just updated my TBR list, removing read ones and adding all the books I acquired since I printed my list in last September. I also added all the owned books on my "currently reading" list which I hadn't put then for some reason. However I'm not counting every single ebooks freebies, since I got them because they were free but it's not sure I would get to read them at some point and don't want to stress myself over them.
If I didn't forget anything (which is highly probable ^^), I'm up to 501 right now. That's quite a lot !
Plus since I'm going to London for vacations this year, and I'm quite sure I'm going to buy a all lot of books there, I'm going on a "no buy" challenge from now on until my trip, where I will indulge myself with as many books as I want / as my luggage will allow me to take. I'm still going to update my "3 before 1" rounds, leaving the purchased blank for my trip ^^

message 14: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Oh wow, you have so many 'Currently reading'!

Good luck with your challenge!

message 15: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Yep indeed way too many --" Most of them are on hold, and have been for too long already. That's also one of my challenge this year : finish at least on a month. Of course, I'm behind on this as well xD

Thanks ! I've got an existing TBR planned for June so I should'nt feel the craving to buy more...

message 16: by Elinor (last edited Jun 24, 2018 06:24AM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Behold ! Here is the overly ambitious June TBR / To Be Finished !
This month I'm doing a "favorite series / author" theme, with a few "I think this is going to be a favorite"

The Hero of Ages almost done with this one !
Les Fiancés de l'hiver
La Force de l'âge
The Crimson Crown
Death in the Stocks
Ava préfère les fantômes
Alien Proliferation
Murder on the Orient Express
Frost Burned
Ten Things I Love About You
Trapped
The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag
Rise of Empire (buddy read)
Vicious (buddy read)
The Alloy of Law (buddy read)

Plus I want to continue on (but not finish at any cost) two books : La Horde du Contrevent and Winston Churchill

So that's REALLY ambitious for me, like really really. I started quite a few of them already, I'm almost finished with the Brandon Sanderson for example and will only have a few hundred pages to read, but still... I hope I can finish all of those. Wish me luck ! (I'm going to need it)

message 17: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Yeah! Ambitious TBR are the best kind of TBR :)
Good luck!

How is Les Fiancés de l'hiver? I'm intrigued by this one, and I'm trying to read more French SFF.

message 18: by Elinor (last edited May 30, 2018 01:07AM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Thanks :)
So far it has been (really) good. I prefered the begining so far as it had a feeling of discovering a wonderful and magial world that reminded me of Harry Potter.
A Frence SFF author that I love is Lionel Davoust. Well I've just read Port d'âmes but it was superb ! I'm also eager to read Véridienne, Les Seigneurs de Bohen and Source des tempêtes since I've heard a lot of really good things about them !

message 19: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I read good reviews of Druide and Cygnis. I'm trying to get in more standalones as well 'cause I feel a bit submerged by series right now.

I also discovered my library has ebooks of the Imaginales anthologies :D I think I'll discover great French authors thanks to those!

message 20: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I really liked Martyrs, Livre I so I also have Druide on my radar ^^ but I had never heard of Cygnis before !
I feel you about the series submersion ! I really need to finish a few of them myself...
Yes anthologies are great, I have one on hold for the moment, Destinations - Anthologie des Imaginales 2017, I enjoed what I read of it so far !

message 21: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I heard about Cygnis thanks to the Utopiales, which is a SF festival taking place in Nantes (where I lived for 2 years).

And I discovered the Imaginales anthologies by browsing your 'currently reading' shelf hahaha ;)

message 22: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I hope you did take a frontal torch and the rest of your Indiana Jones' gear before venturing yourself in such a cluttered and labyrinthine place ! I wouldn't like you to get lost in this cemetry of my willpower.

I do know about the Utopiales ! Never been there though.

message 23: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Haha! I'm impressed by the variety of your reads! I read mostly SFF and mangas but maybe I should diversify a little.

You've got several French books in that list I would be interested in reading. Would my reading-along help you complete those? I never get to talk about French SFF so I'm quite excited you're in this group haha.
(Sorry if I'm over enthusiastic :p)

message 24: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I do like a lot of genres and therefor don't a read a lot in any one of them and get really frustrated ^^
I do think that it could help indeed ! I'm over-booked for June but we can do anything starting the end of July :)
(and you're very welcome, I do like enthusiasm ^^) (and it's not like I can't get over enthusiastic as well xD)

message 25: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Nice! End of July it is :)

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
Elinor wrote: "Behold ! Here is the overly ambitious June TBR / To Be Finished !
This month I'm doing a "favorite series / author" theme, with a few "I think this is going to be a favorite"

[book:The Hero of Age..."

We definitely share ambition this month - good luck!! I love the idea of picking a "theme" author to narrow the focus a bit. :)

message 27: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Thanks Niki :) and good luck for you as well - ambition can be really great when it's not overwhelming !

And that's one more round done ! :D

message 28: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Aaaannnnd... one more ! :)

message 29: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Yay! Congrats on another round completed! You're doing great :)

message 30: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Congrats! And I see you're really making a dent in that June TBR! :)

message 31: by Elinor (last edited Jul 17, 2019 12:13AM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments So here is my huge London (plus Cambridge & Oxford, but mostly London) book haul :
Nobody real, Steven Camden ✓
Killing gravity, Corey J. White ✓
The Beekeeper’s apprentice, Laurie R. King ✓
The incredible crime, Lois Austen-Leigh ✓
Shadowblack, Sebastien de Castell ✓
I was born for this, Alice Oseman ✓
Jemina Shore’s First Case, Antonia Fraser ✓
Death at Wentwater Court, Carola Dunn ✓
Murder at the Brightwell, Ashley Weaver ✓
Turner, Peter Ackroyd ✓
Margaret the First, Danielle Dutton ✓
Blood Sisters, Sarah Gristwood ✓
Ancient Rome on 5 denarii a day, Philip Matyszak ✓
Shakespeare’s London on 5 groats a day, Richard Tames ✓
Georgiana, duchess of Devonshire, Amanda Foreman ✓
Cold comfort farm, Stella Gibbons ✓
Take courage : Anne Bronte and the art of life, Samantha Ellis ✓
The Nancy Mitford Omnibus ✓
A little history of archaeology, Brian Fagan ✓
Fanny Burney, Kate Chisholm ✓
Madness & love in Maida Vale, Todd Swift ✓
The Catch, Fiona Sampson ✓
Egypt : How a lost civilisation was rediscovered, Joyce A. Tyldesley ✓
Richard, duke of York, Matthew Lewis ✓
Confronting the classics, Mary Beard ✓
Dart, Alice Oswald ✓
Sandman Slim, Richard Kadrey ✓
Battling the gods : atheism in the ancient world, Tim Whitmarsh ✓
Alien Diplomacy, Gini Koch ✓
A soldier’s duty, Jean Johnson ✓
Sealed with a curse, Cecy Robson ✓
On the edge, Ilona Andrews ✓
The case of the missing treasure, Robin Stevens ✓
Barchester towers, Anthony Trollope ✓
The mystery of Mrs Blencarrow, Mrs Oliphant ✓

35 books !

I'm not counting : Our Mutual Friend, Dickens, because this is an old copy and not one I intend to read on ; Gruesome guide to Oxford, Terry Deary and Martin Brown & The Warden Anthony Trollope, because I alreday read them during the vacation.

That still makes 35 books, and that's quite a lot ! Wish me luck with everything that I have to make up for :) I really need to not indulge myself anymore after that ! ^^

message 32: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Wow, that's one hell of a list! How exactly did you manage to bring that many books home after your vacation? 😱
I wish you all the luck to make up for it ;)

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7204 comments Mod
Oh wow nice haul!!! When I go off the challenge rails, I also do it with a whole pile of books lol.

message 34: by Elinor (last edited Jul 13, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Anni wrote: "Wow, that's one hell of a list! How exactly did you manage to bring that many books home after your vacation? 😱
I wish you all the luck to make up for it ;)"

Thanks :) well I did know I was going to buy a lot so I try to pack as little as possible to go there, so that I had more space to bring everything... but I still struggled a bit ! ^^ (because there were also the comics... ALL the comics...)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "Oh wow nice haul!!! When I go off the challenge rails, I also do it with a whole pile of books lol."
I so easily get off the rails --" but after that I can't anymore ! I really don't have anymore space left on my shelves, so I need to get 100% focused on my TBR, and not on my wish-list.
I was thingink about you every time I tried to buy the Murderbot, but I couldn't find it anywhere ! really frustrating ^^ so it will have to wait a few months before I start this series that looks really cool :)

message 35: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments My god that name!!

message 36: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments On the edge! - Highly recommended series.
The first book is a bit weak but it gets really good from the 2nd one.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Hell's Fire girl! You're worse than me! I only buy a max of 24 when I fall off the wagon. :D
But that is one impressive haul! Some yummy titles there.
All the best in making up for it! I'm still trying to make up for my last slip, which will probably take a few months to set right because I keep focusing on TBR instead of Owned-to-read!!!! :)

message 38: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Karishma : yeah I feel I'm approching Armaggedon more and more with each book I buy... but is it stopping me from doing it ? not really... maybe you shouldn't count on me to save the day when the world is really going to end ^^

Laura : I do feel the pangs of guilt >< and also my whole body ache to have brought all that home ^^ I couldn't bring myself to find out how many exactly I had bought before it was really inevitable by reporting here ^^ 35 is really a lot !
Yeah there are a lot of things I'm really excited about ! a few I hadn't heard of and found there, some I had been wanting for so long and finally got...
Thanks :) I'm afraid it is going to take me most of the end of the year --" all the best for you too ! we can do it ! :)

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments That's right! We can do it!!! :)
And we can mop around together if at all we fall off the wagon again. :D (which will probably happen very soon the way the both of us are shopping 😁)

message 40: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I have one week outside of the bookshops ! (well, hopefully) so nothing more for sure (well, hopefully) before I go back to work. there... I SHALL not buy anything. But then again... I could make a few tiny little excepetions once in a while for continuation of series, since I'm also in the Incomplete series challenge xD (I would, perhaps not everything, but quite a lot of things, to convince myself that I can actually buy a book without guilt and all).
I think we should do it the AA's way : one day at a time. So, no book buying for me today. I plan on finishing one book though.

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Ahhhh! Now that is a good idea! I'm having about 20 smaller books on my shelf and planning to read 1 a day for the rest of this month.
And no bookstores this week. :)

But there is the Sunday sale on my online bookstore tomorrow!!!! 😣😓
I'll try not to open the app!!

message 42: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm actually glad I had to miss the big big sale of a French publisher of SFF (tons of e-books for 0.99, quite the deal) because of my holidays, because I know I couldn't have resist ^^ is it a weekly sale or something rarer ?

And I'm finally finished with Vicious, I only had a couple pages left but didn't want to bring it with me in London, so had to wait to come back to be able to finish it ! one more book and that's one more round completed ^^

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I completely get that! I wouldn't have been able to hold back either. :)

And Congrats for the finished round!!

message 44: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Oh wow! Nice haul! That suitcase must have been HEAVY!
Good luck with your challenge :D

message 45: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Thanks :)

Indeed it was Virginie ! (every personn who helped me with it at one point or another was like "oh my that's REALLY heavy" and I think they looked me with a kind of reverence after that... althought they should have tried my backpack as well ! cause it was really heavy too ^^) In fact I almost had troubles since I couldn't have more than 23 kg and it weighted 24 !

message 46: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Haha Elinor that's amazing that you got so many books on holiday! Bravo London! 😅 Proud of you for carrying them all back - you deserve them for that!!

message 47: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Elinor wrote: "Thanks :)

Indeed it was Virginie ! (every personn who helped me with it at one point or another was like "oh my that's REALLY heavy" and I think they looked me with a kind of reverence after that..."

Haha! I'm always just 1kg above airplane weight restriction as well. I usually look at the guy and say in a deadpan voice: "I can open that suitcase, and put 1kg of clothes on me since there's no restriction to my weight. It'll be messy, and will take forever. OR you can ignore one tiny, tiny kg and let me off the hook. Your choice." xD

message 48: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Now that is badass xD

message 49: by Elinor (last edited Aug 20, 2018 09:29AM) (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments August TBR :
The Rithmatist
Assassin's Quest
Barchester Towers
The Crimson Crown
Jackaby
Magic Bites
A Questionable Client
Magic Burns
Magic Strikes
Magic Mourns
Magic Bleeds
Magic Dreams
Magic Slays
Magic Tests
Kings of the Wyld
The Winner's Crime
Rentrée littéraire 1
Dividing Eden
Broken: A Rouge Contemporary Romance
Dear Aaron

Don't think I will finish them but would like to read through a bit nonetheless :
Winston Churchill : Le pouvoir de l'imagination
L'Avenement de L'Empire
The Alloy of Law

I would really love to be able to read them in August but really think that won't be possible :
The Mystery of Mrs Blencarrow & Queen Eleanor and Fair Rosamond
Fièvre fatale
Last Bus to Woodstock
Rentrée littéraire 2

Even if a lot of them are already started, this is quite ambitious ^^ (and yes there are still June BR that I haven't finish yet... shame on me ^^")
Updated : and now that's even more ambitious. oh well.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Oh boy! That is one big list. :D All the best in tackling it next month!

I don't do very well with planning all my reads ahead and end up changing my mind according to the mood. Even from the list I posted on my challenge, I read a few and then read others that I hadn't mentioned and then totally forgot about the challenge again and read borrowed books because the guys suggested them for an impromptu BR and I couldn't resist. (*shrugs but doesn't feel guilty*)

How many did you get to finish this month? I haven't updated mine either since my mission clean-up started. Will hopefully get time to do it this afternoon.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7