Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2017 Challenges Archive > December 2017 in Reflection - Best and Worst Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments Let's reflect on the best and worst of the previous month's books.....

I know I can get so focused on what is next that I forget about all the wonderful books I read for the previous month's challenges! The New Year is here ready or not! I'm so ready for it, even though the illness bug has settled on my house - 2017 was not my friend, which isn't to say I didn't find some good books and have some good times. The holidays are officially behind us, even if we aren't done with our holiday books yet! What did you love in December? (Besides cookies!) Anything new you are looking forward to in January? Did the year go out with a bang or a bust for you?

Did you discover some gems last month? DNF a few? Find your new book boyfriend or a heroine who personifies TSTL? Come on, we all want to know! What were your standouts for December and all of 2017? What're you most looking forward to in 2018?

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments I am going to have to think about what were my favorites were, and probably look at my lists too! I'll be back later with the details. =)

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 20 comments My best December read was Chasing Christmas Eve by Jill Shalvis, which I really, really enjoyed. It was one of those finish-it-in-a-day ignore-fixing-dinner reads for me, and I've already gotten most of the other books in the series from the library. I slogged through The Snowman Killer by Wendy Meadows.

Overall my year was uneven reading-wise, with a few surprising reads on both the good and bad sides. I read Elizabeth Hoyt for the first time and loved the book, had enjoyable first-time reading experiences with Agatha Christie, Kristan Higgins, Sarah MacLean and Max Gladstone, and realized that I really liked Caitlin Crews' Harlequin Presents novels.

My stand-out reads for the entire year were The Lightning-Struck Heart by TJ Klune and Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire.

2018 looks very promising, and I'm really looking forward to The Belles, Burn Bright, Ocean Light, Dread Nation, and Beneath the Sugar Sky.

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments I loved Chasing Christmas Eve too Ann! And how great you got to experience so many new authors - I love Sarah MacLean too and Elizabeth Hoyt is good!

Did you listen to The Lightning-Struck Heart? The audio was so good! I will be listening to the next one, A Destiny of Dragons, this month!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 20 comments I read it on my Kindle. I like audio books, but mostly to listen to books I've already read while I'm walking or in the car. I'm listening to J.D. Robb's series in audio right now. Destiny of Dragons is definitely in my to-get-soon list!

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments Yes, the In Death books are some of my go-tos in audio!

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon I read Janna MacGregorJanna MacGregor's first 2 books in Cavensham Heiresses series. She's not only a new author to me, but a 2017 debut author. I received a signed copy of her second book and devoured it. Loved both books but the second is so far my favorite and my favorite of the year "The Good Luck Bride" Also read Elizabeth Hoyt's Once Upon a Christmas Eve It was okay...I'm not much of a novella reader but thought I should read a Christmas book LOL.

Right now I'm looking for a good audio romance. ???? ideas???

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments Shannon wrote: "Right now I'm looking for a good audio romance. ???? ideas??? "

I would love to share some of my favorites! What genres do you most like? Favorite authors?

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Regency romance is my favorite. Judith McNaught is my favorite, but I've read everything she ever wrote multiple times.

Currently, I like Lisa Kleypas, Tessa Dare, Janna MacGregor (new, so excited to find her) Eloisa James....I have Courtney Milan and Anna Bennett on my list to read.

I like passionately deep stories, angsty and alpha heroes are a plus.

message 10: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments Of course, Lisa Kleyaps and Eloisa James are great in audio! Julia Quinn is also very good, the Bridgertons recently came out in audio and I am finally getting through that series!

Jennifer Ashley's Mackenzie and McBride series is fabulous and the audios are great! The first book is The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

Sarah MacLean's books are always good. Her series are The Rules of Scoundrels, Scandal & Scoundrel and Love by Numbers.

Maya Banks' McCabe Trilogy is wonderful too! Laura Kinsale's books are good, Flowers from the Storm was amazing in audio!

The narrator can make or break a book in audio, and there are some historical narrators I don't like at all. I always feel comfortable with Rosalyn Landor, Susan Duerden and Angela Dawe though. There are other good and even great ones, but those ones are probably the most common and very reliably excellent!

message 11: by Shannon (last edited Jan 03, 2018 08:35PM) (new)

Shannon MountainKat wrote: "Of course, Lisa Kleyaps and Eloisa James are great in audio! Julia Quinn is also very good, the Bridgertons recently came out in audio and I am finally getting through that series!

Jennifer Ashley..."

These are great ideas and knowing the names of good audio narrators is very helpful. I've just started with amazon's audible and I'm so excited. I can cook or clean or whatever and still read! Right now I'm listening to a mystery thriller.

I've never read Laura Kinsale, if you can believe that. Thanks for the recommendations!

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon MountainKat wrote: "Of course, Lisa Kleyaps and Eloisa James are great in audio! Julia Quinn is also very good, the Bridgertons recently came out in audio and I am finally getting through that series!

Jennifer Ashley..."

Oh my word! I'm listening to Lisa Kleypas audible Devil in Spring. Love the narrator and the book! Thank you so much for the rec!

message 13: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21383 comments Shannon wrote: "Oh my word! I'm listening to Lisa Kleypas audible Devil in Spring. Love the narrator and the book! Thank you so much for the rec!"

I'm glad you are enjoying it! I liked that one! I don't think the narrator was as good earlier in the series, but she got better with each book.