SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Series Reads > 2018 Series Read: Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files"

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jan 01, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29011 comments Jim Butcher's Dresden Files
Voted as our 2018 series read

Members are welcome to read as few or as many books within this series as they'd like. The series read will run from 1 Jan - 31 Dec 2018 ~ 1 book a month. You may list and track your books here, use the group challenge, or both. It's up to you. **For instructions on how to set up a challenge-specific shelf, see Lauren's post. This challenge opens 1/1/2018 and closes 12/31/2018.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the books as you read. I ask that you use spoiler tags to avoid spoiling something for someone who hasn't yet read the book.

Jim Butcher has listed the series reading order on his website, which includes short stories.

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher White Night (The Dresden Files, #9) by Jim Butcher Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) by Jim Butcher Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11) by Jim Butcher Changes (The Dresden Files, #12) by Jim Butcher Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher Cold Days (The Dresden Files, #14) by Jim Butcher Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15) by Jim Butcher

Book #16 (coming soon) Peace Talks

message 2: by Moondance (new)

Moondance (moondance120) | 1810 comments I have fallen behind with Harry. Perhaps this will motivate me to catch up

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29011 comments I’ve actually never started it. Hubby likes it and we’ve watched the tv show. Maybe this’ll inspire me to start it this year.

message 4: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments It’s been yeeeeaaaars since the last release! Gonna try and re-read with y’all and fingers crossed we’ll have a release date for Peace Talks sometime this year.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 144 comments I'm on book four, so maybe this will help me get current with the series.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Davis | 697 comments I've only read 1 & 2 ... I'm in!

message 7: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 1657 comments I love love love this series. The further your progress, the more the plot thickens and the more characters and whatnot are thrown at the reader. And Harry has a knack for getting into really, really deep shit.

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29011 comments That's what my hubby said as well ;)

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Causby This sounds interesting. I haven't read any of these books or watched the show so... I just bought the first book so if I like it we'll see how far I get!

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29011 comments Welcome, Emily!

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1052 comments The first book is good, but not the best. It was the first book he ever wrote so shows some of the new author issues, but soon he gets the hang of it and then hoo-eee.

message 12: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments Anyone started/restarted this yet? Listening to the books this time around. I tried the audios in the past and it never clicked but liking it now - maybe all the podcasts have helped train my ears ;)

They also totally ripped straight from CD to Overdrive - including “Please insert the next CD to continue the story”. It throws me every time haha!

Harry is so awkward as his young self. And he kinda describes females like he’s still a teenage boy which weirds me out a little because in my head he’s too old for that!

And I’m already stressed out over his well-being! He gets himself into so much trouble lol. But it is fun to go back to the beginning and see his early relationships developing with some of the characters.

I kinda want to rewatch the show now too. I was sad it only lasted a season, but I feel like I tend to like the shows that don’t last.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Davis | 697 comments I'm waiting for Grave Peril from the library! I will always need ♡♡ James Marsters ♡♡ in my ears!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michker) | 35 comments i am waiting for the first book from the library even though i already read it

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 144 comments I'm hoping to start soon. Real life just keeps getting in the way of reading.

message 16: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1934 comments I really only know James Marsters as Spike so I had no idea what he sounded like as an American lol. Some people have said he’s a little monotone which I totally understand but I don’t mind :)

message 17: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29011 comments Vivian wrote: "Anyone started/restarted this yet? Listening to the books this time around. I tried the audios in the past and it never clicked but liking it now - maybe all the podcasts have helped train my ears ..."

That’s funny (the CD rip) 😆

I haven’t started yet. I’m trying to talk hubby into listening, but he’s already current with the series.

I’m sure I’ll be picturing the tv show actors when I do read it.

message 18: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 730 comments Yes! I'm re-reading (well, re-listening) right now. This will be my umpteenth re-imbibing of the series, and my second time listening. I find something new every time.

message 19: by Bonita (new)

Bonita I finished Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) by Jim Butcher January 30th. I'm listening to the ones my library has on CD.

message 20: by PreePree (new)

PreePree I have been reading these books lately and they are rather good. Harry Dresden is really starting to grow on me! I just finished Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6) by Jim Butcher . I try to at least read 1 of his books each month.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (ashleycw) | 144 comments Vivian wrote: "I really only know James Marsters as Spike so I had no idea what he sounded like as an American lol. Some people have said he’s a little monotone which I totally understand but I don’t mind :)"

I would't have known it was the same guy at all.

Marsters basically just reads the book out loud, he doesn't act the book like some narrators do. It doesn't bother me, but its definitely a noticeable difference.

message 22: by Evan (new)

Evan | 4 comments I'm reading it all chronologically. Currently, I am on the comic "Ghoul,Goblin". Since I read several books at a time, I may not be done by the end of the year.

message 23: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29011 comments Hope everyone enjoyed Dresden! Be sure to check out our 2019 series read: Victoria Danann’s Knights of Black Swan: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... :)