Start by marking “Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)” as Want to Read:
Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)

Death Masks (The Dresden Files #5)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  97,837 Ratings  ·  2,741 Reviews
Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for:

A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards...

Professional hit men using Harry for target practice...

The missing Shroud of Turin...

A hand
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published August 5th 2003 by Roc (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death Masks, please sign up.
Tim Martoni It's best if you do. While each story contains its own mystery, Jim Butchers ties the previous books into each book so if you don't read them in…moreIt's best if you do. While each story contains its own mystery, Jim Butchers ties the previous books into each book so if you don't read them in order, you'll be very confused.(less)

Stephen
Photobucket

I mostly like this series. However, I'm certainly not a die hard "Dresdenite" from the Church of Harry. Dresden is NOT my literary BFF and, truth be told, spends far more time languishing under the heading OAA (Occasionally Annoying Acquaintance). I like the stories (so far), but that enjoyment comes with some mondo qualifications and some serious groans. However, before I rail against the main character's penchant for lame cheesy-flavored popCORNY, I'm going to begin with what I think are the
Will M.
What I noticed right away after reading the first few chapters would be that the series has a routine. It starts of with Harry complaining about his broke life, then a lover appears or a new villain. It's not a bad routine, on the contrary I actually enjoy it. Harry Dresden's life is really fascinating and adventure filled.

The plot tried to be more action packed but ended up on the mild side. The new enemies presented were quite interesting but honestly were all over the place. They weren't intr
Philip
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3ish stars.

To anyone who still isn't convinced that Harry is a chauvinistic, narcissistic douchebag:

"My blasting rod thumped against my leg rhythmically."
Blasting rod, eh? Someone's cocky (pun intended?).

"I gathered in my will and settled my grip on my blasting rod."

"I jerked the tip of the blasting rod up and away from the girl, releasing the gathered energy."
Wow, Harry. First of all ew. Second, woman, not girl, that's demeaning- and to think you consider yourself chivalrous. Third, en
TS Chan
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite Dresden File to date because for the very first time reading this series, I actually felt emotional resonance. In the past few instalments, I was entertained, intrigued, and mostly treated these books as my guilty pleasure when I needed something I can breeze through for some fun and action with more than a touch of snarky humour.

In Death Masks, there were less unrealistically badass moments where I'll go "Oh, come on! Really?!" Instead, at least a couple of scenes in here
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

I really do love this series. This book was my least favorite but I did enjoy it a little. I loved the last four so I am excited to start the next one.
Death Masks is the 5th in the series and I really have to say that I am
so over with the war with the red court.

In Death Masks, a vampire named Ortega challenges Harry to a duel that will end the war between the vampires and the wizards. Harry has no choice but to accept, and almost no hope of winning the duel. However he has another problem. A c
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Poor Harry Dresden.

You sweet, oddly sexy, powerful wizard. You just CAN'T catch a break!

I adore this series and I adore listening to it on audio. I think James Marsters just keeps getting better and better. I can hear a wider range of voices in this one than in the previous books, and he is so SO DAMN PERFECT as Harry Dresden. I could listen to these books all day, every day.

Interestingly, a lot is left hanging at the end of this book. I can't wait to see where the next few books take me!
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Harry Dresden can't catch a break... or a full night's sleep. He's up against the Red vampire court, he's being attacked by supernatural creatures with powers he's never seen before and his ex-girlfriend is back in town.

But, you can't keep a good wizard down, right?

Even when you introduce a holy relic into the tale: "Someone stole the freaking Shroud of Turn?' I demanded. 'Yes.' I settled back into the chair, looking down at the photos again. This changed things. This changed things a lot." pg 2
Lindsey Rey
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
[4.5 Stars]
The best one yet!
Mike (the Paladin)
The story continues here and stays true to form.

The Dresden books are some of my favorite novels...bar none, hands down. These are great brain candy. They're pure escapism, total Urban Fantasy fun, comic drama that do several things very well. Each novel tells it's own story making them individually readable and enjoyable while in the back ground evidence and details mount to tell a larger more involved tale.

Here we open up with Harry broke (not that unusual) and in a spot he isn't all that happ
Robin (Bridge Four)
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Buddy at Buddies Books and Baubles with some Dresdanites

3.5 Who Else Could Want To Kill Harry Stars

Five books in and the world and characters keep expanding a little at a time. I enjoy reading this series to a certain extent but the thing is Harry isn’t the reason. Mostly I like all of the side characters more than him. Each doesn’t get a lot of page time but the glimpses I see of them…well usually the side character steals the show from Harry, at least for me.

It isn’t specifically Harry’s fault
Chris
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reasons to read this book.

1. Harry Dresden is a believable character. He learns, he grows, but he does not gain a new power every book. In fact, he doesn't seem to gain any power in any of the books. He gains awareness and knowledge.

2. Susan is cool, but flawed like Harry. Love her.

3. Godfather with a helicopter.

4. One of the best love/sex scenes I have ever read. Butcher could write a good romance novel.

5. Good female detective who has smarts.

6. Vampires with bite.

7. Butcher knows his myth, le
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
My sister and I listened to this on Audiobook in the car. I had to return the CDs to the library, but fortunately, they had the Playaway, so we were able to finish this. I loved James Marsters' narration. He doesn't sound a thing like Spike and I'm glad. He showed a wonderful vocal range, and he really gave life to Harry Dresden for me. He's really fantastic at accents and different inflections. He does women voices without them sounding cheesy or falsetto (which is a huge thing for me). I think ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book! This was a re-read for me and I liked it just as much the second time around. I did remember some parts of the book from the first time I read the story but I had forgotten most of the details. It has been about a year and half since I listened to the last book in this series and I really enjoyed spending a little bit of time with Harry Dresden once again. This is the fifth book in the series and I do reco
Mikos
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Best one yet, what a great ride! :D
Angela
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Faye, la Patata
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good stuff right here, but damn it, I wish Harry would stop being so helpless and foolish 80% of the time ;__; He's been "weak" in comparison to the challenges he has faced (at least he outsmarts them in other areas, and he has friends and connections to help him), so I've been hoping he could finally have a bloody level-up.
Tosh
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I read the first few chapters then switched to audio. James Marsters' narration is perfect and definitely kicked the story up a notch for me.

Knocked off 1/2 a star because I really can't stand the sexual tension between Harry and Susan. Is it truly love, or just lust? Had we had more relationship development between the two in earlier books maybe I wouldn't question it.

Otherwise, never a dull moment and some interesting new characters on the scene.
Ashley
I never actually wrote a review of this book the first time around, just a few quick sentences. I don't remember why. I was probably just being lazy. This is what I wrote back in December 2010:

"I'm still waiting to be knocked off my feet by this series, but this book was still pretty fun. Also, Susan was way less annoying, ditto for Gentleman Johnny Marcone. The best part was when Thomas offered to high-five Ortega right before the duel. There needs to be more Thomas."

I still hold to what I said
Emma
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
That Nicodemius is one tricksy Demon! Good to see the three Knights working together in the story. We meet Butters,a significant addition in books to come. Harry and Susan manage to hang out for a while. A duel is fought. Marcone’s secret is out. Harry wins to fight another day. Another book down in my reread campaign, killing time until the next book is published. Soon I hope!
Gergana
It's ok. I like Harry enough now to continue reading. Book 4 was definitely better.
David Sven
Good pace, interesting plot elements, new nasties along with some old ones, and great audio narration by James Masters. I particularly enjoyed Marsters' Russian accent for Sanya. He has really expanded his repertoire of voices since book one and I’m digging it.

I do appreciate how Butcher keeps building on the existing lore of the series. We learn a bit more about Harry (view spoiler) We get some new secret organisations, The
Jilly
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Harry Dresden. He cracks me up! This guy is definitely a lovable loser. Everybody wants to kill him, and he's pretty much accepted that as his definition of normal.

"I get more threats before nine a.m. than most people get all day."

...the risk of imminent death just didn't hit me the same way it used to...

Susan asked, "Do you really think you can win?"
"Yeah. Hell, Ortega is only the third or fourth most disturbing thing I've tangled with today."
"But even if you do win, what does it change
Wanda
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
In my opinion, the best book so far in the Harry Dresden series. It feels to me like Butcher has found his stride and as a result that Harry has found his centre. He’s thinking about the Whys of what he does, not just about what to do next.

Although the vampires get things rolling in this book, the Harry-Red Court conflict gets pushed to the side as he deals with bigger issues. This is what I was wanting when I read The Last Coin. Awesome use of Judas’ thirty pieces of silver!

One of the things I
Rizwan
WHOA. Was this book awesome or what?! Previously I was just a casual Dresden Files-fan, I really liked the earlier books (Summer Knight, Grave Peril, Fool Moon, Storm Front), but I didn't outright loved them... Well, all that has changed now! From the very first page to the last one, this one got my attention hook-line-sinker. The book was action-packed, hair-raising thrilling, nailbitingly suspenseful, wildly humorous with mindblowing twists-turns and a GREAT villain. But above all, it had a br ...more
Manju
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, 2013, 2000-09
EDIT: Enjoyed it way more this time as I knew how subtly Butcher dropped clues about Harry's past and future here and there.

3.5

Fifth book of the series. A new case and problems from the previous books to solve.

So Harry’s journey covers a dual challenge from vampire Ortega (red court battle), finding the stolen shroud (case), return of his half-vampire girlfriend Susan (surprise) and his fight with supernatural creatures (his usual stuff).

Michael made his came back in the book with other two kni
Jody McGrath
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Harry Dresden, Chicago's practicing wizard and private detective has finally scraped up another case. Leave it to Harry to make it a doozy though. Some one has stolen the Shroud of Turin and everyone wants it. Also on the scene is the love of Harry's life, ex-girlfriend and partial vampire, Susan. Oh yes, there is also a headless armless corpse that Officer Murphy needs help with, the ongoing war between the wizards and the red vampires, 3 Knights of God (one of whoms wife still dislikes Harry a ...more
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"It isn't good to hold on too hard to the past. You can't spend your whole life looking back. Not even when you can't see what lies ahead. All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrow will be what it should be- even if it isn't what you expected."
- Jim Butcher, Death Masks.

That mostly sums up the story. In this turn of Dresden saga many things actually didn't get solved. But there was a hint of things to come, which for the time being keeping me intrigued. I hope good t
Richard
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
7/10

This was a reread of sorts for me, the little lady was at this point in the series is doing them on audiobook and we had a journey up to Edinburgh so decided to do it together. I was keen to hear James Marsters narrate and when I originally read this book I was on holiday in New England and my reading concentration was way down.

The story is interesting enough but it's not up in the top reaches of the series, in fact due to the stellar stories in this series this could be seen as one of the w
AH
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
The reason why I enjoy Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series is that each book is jammed packed full of "stuff." What do I mean by "stuff?" It's all the creatures, magic, mythology, and action all thrown in one book. So much happens in this book and I can always count on Harry's unique way of deal with adversity (and adversaries). I think these books work because they capture the gritty world of city life and juxtapose it with the paranormal. Chicago makes such a great backdrop to this world.

In Dea
Play Book Tag: Death Masks / Jim Butcher - 3.5*** 1 7 Feb 10, 2017 12:30PM
Dresden Files: Thoughts on Death Masks 2016 1 16 Aug 16, 2016 05:38PM
Around the Year i...: Death Masks, by Jim Butcher 4 14 Mar 23, 2016 10:07PM
A Million More Pages: 5 - Death Masks (The Dresden Files): Jun 1 100 34 Jun 17, 2015 11:03AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: February SRA: DEATH MASKS by Jim Butcher 10 20 Feb 24, 2015 05:01PM
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Sleep is God. Go worship.” 527 likes
“So. You get handed a holy sword by an archangel, told to go fight the forces of evil, and you somehow remain an atheist. Is that what you're saying?” 332 likes