A challenge of relative ease and merriment 2017 discussion

Final results

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 61 comments Mod
Okay you guys, the year is aaaalmost over, so I thought why not share your finished list of books?

If you didn't finish, don't feel bad! Share what you did finish!
What was your favourite of the ones you read? Is there one you're including that you didn't like? And what was the hardest category for you to finish, but you still did finish?

And remember that your finished list doesn't have to be what you reported during the year! If you read a collection of poetry in january, but then read an even better one in december... feel free to change your list! Make it the best one you can.

Personally I am still working on it. I have two days! I can do it haha!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (kittennuisance) | 18 comments Ack, two days?? LOL--somehow I thought time would go a little slower between Christmas and New Year's! I want to finish The Turn Of The Screw, which is a setup for a book on next year's challenge. . . it's short, but I'm so tired from Christmas!

Anyway, here are the books I counted for it. . . before-1900 was a struggle for me, as perhaps you can guess, because I "cheated" a little by counting a short story. But if I finish The Turn Of The Screw, that will actually work for the category!
a book released in 2017 Behind Her Eyes
a book written before 1900 The Fall of the House of Usher
a non-fiction book Mommy's Little Girl
a kids book The Midwife's Apprentice
a YA novel Paper Towns
a book of fantastical fiction (fantasy/scifi/paranormal) The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August (This was one of my favorite books of the whole year, and the kind of book I will remember for all time!! A Head Full of Ghosts was also awesome.)
a cozy mystery Brownies and Broomsticks (Recommended by Pocki--thanks; it was cute!)
a debut novel Shelter
a book of poetry or drama (that is to say a play, not just ~dramatic~) The Importance of Being Earnest
a biography/autobiography/memoir Beneath the Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld, and the Truth Beyond Blackfish
a book written by someone under the age of 30 Calvin and Hobbes (Somebody here recommended this, too, which I appreciate--saved me doing some author-age math!!)
a media tie-in Teen Mom Confidential
an LGBTQIA* book Giovanni's Room (AMAZING!)
a book about food Bento Box in the Heartland: My Japanese Girlhood in Whitebread America
a scary/creepy book Bird Box (Adored this!! Later in the year, Some of Your Blood and I'm Thinking of Ending Things were even better.)
a book that is part of a series but not the first book (this could be a later released prequel though!) A Wind in the Door (Later, Authority, a sequel to a book I read for last year's challenge.)
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner (any year, any category) Eleanor & Park
a book with an animal on the cover Dirty Chick: Adventures of an Unlikely Farmer
a book mostly set in the desert The Martian Chronicles (Thought outside the box a bit. . . Mars is a desert planet.)
a book that was adapted into a movie Firestarter (As I Lay Dying, East of Eden, Rebecca)

Read, read, read, everyone!! I'm off to plug away at The Turn Of The Screw now! XD

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 10 comments I managed to read 18/20 (there's no way I can fit the last two in in the next two days). Here's my final list:

a book released in 2017 (planned to read: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI)
✔️a book written before 1900 The Treasure of the City of Ladies, or The Book of Three Virtues
✔️a non-fiction book The Art of Forgery: The Minds, Motives and Methods of Master Forgers
✔️a kids book The Lonely Book
✔️a YA novel Gathering Blue
✔️a book of fantastical fiction (fantasy/scifi/paranormal) 11/22/63
✔️a cozy mystery Have His Carcase
✔️a debut novel The Outsiders
✔️a book of poetry or drama The Dream of a Common Language: Poems, 1974-1977
✔️a biography/autobiography/memoir As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
✔️a book written by someone under the age of 30 Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
✔️a media tie-in Doctor Who: The Angel's Kiss (Doctor Who tie-in)
✔️an LGBTQIA* book Annie on My Mind
✔️a book about food The Food Section: Newspaper Women and the Culinary Community
✔️a scary/creepy book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
✔️a book that is part of a series but not the first book (could be a later released prequel though) Trunk Music (Harry Bosch #5)
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner (any year, any category) (planned to read: The Underground Railroad)
✔️a book with an animal on the cover Unusual Uses for Olive Oil
✔️a book mostly set in the desert Crocodile on the Sandbank
✔️a book that was adapted into a movie Marathon Man

BONUS: watch a movie that was based on a book! (maybe make it the same as #20)
I saw Hidden Figures, based on: Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space

message 4: by Carly (last edited Dec 30, 2017 04:40AM) (new)

Carly Friedman (carlykayreads) I really enjoyed this challenge. Thank you!

A book released in 2017 - Exit West 5 stars
A book written before 1900 - Dracula4 stars
a non-fiction book -The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics 4.5 stars
a kids book - Marvelous Cornelius: Hurricane Katrina and the Spirit of New Orleans 4.5 stars
a YA novel - A Wrinkle in Time 5 stars (Also reading
Wonder right now and enjoying it!
a book of fantastical fiction - 11/22/63 4.5 stars
a cozy mystery - The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree 3.5 stars
a debut novel - Ready Player One 3.5 stars
a book of poetry or drama - One Last Word: Wisdom from the Harlem Renaissance 5 BIG STARS!
a biography/autobiography/memoir - Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood 4 stars
a book written by someone under the age of 30 - The Mothers 4 stars
a media tie-in (clarification in a thread) - As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride 3.5 stars
an LGBTQIA* book - Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic 4 stars
a book about food - My Life in France 3.5 stars
a scary/creepy book - Divided Kingdom 2.5 stars
a book that is part of a series but not the first book - A Fatal Grace 3.5 stars
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks 5 stars!!
a book with an animal on the cover - H is for Hawk 3.5 stars
a book mostly set in the desert - The Dry 4 stars
a book that was adapted into a movie - Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space 3.5 stars

Can't wait for 2018!

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 8 comments a book released in 2017 - The Walking Dead, Vol. 28: All is Lost - not really released yet, read in issues
a book written before 1900 - En dåres anteckningar
a non-fiction book - Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
a kids book - I Want My Hat Back
a YA novel - Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy
a book of fantastical fiction Dungeon Crawlin' Fools
a cozy mystery - The Secret of the Unicorn
a debut novel - Ready Player One
a book of poetry or drama - Mort: The Play
a biography/autobiography/memoir - Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima
a book written by someone under the age of 30 Tank Girl
a media tie-in - Rick and Morty, Vol. 1
an LGBTQIA book - Sunstone Vol. 1
a book about food - Space Battle Lunchtime, Volume 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion!
a scary/creepy book - 30 Days of Night, Vol. 1
a book that is part of a series but not the first book Harley Quinn: Vengeance Unlimited
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner - Leaves on the Wind
a book with an animal on the cover My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Volume 1
a book mostly set in the desert - Dune
a book that was adapted into a movie - Hundraåringen som klev ut genom fönstret och försvann
Finished the last book on december 26th. Watched the movie on the 27th.
Really liked Ready Player One and happy that I finally finished Dune. Didn't like my pick for LGBTQIA, it felt more like a BDSM story starring lesbians. Happy this category is returning and hopefully this time I will read something with more substance.
Cozy Mystery was the hardest for me to find something for.

message 6: by Joss (last edited Dec 31, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Joss (illumina3) | 5 comments ✔️a book released in 2017 - The Marshal's Lover
✔️a book written before 1900 - Ruth
✔️ a non-fiction book - The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country
✔️ a kids book - A Little Princess
✔️a YA novel - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
✔️a book of fantastical fiction (fantasy/scifi/paranormal) The Hundredth Queen
✔️a cozy mystery - The Toll-Gate
✔️ a debut novel - Ninefox Gambit
✔️ a book of poetry or drama (that is to say a play, not just ~dramatic~) - The Crucible
✔️a biography/autobiography/memoir - As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride
✔️a book written by someone under the age of 30 - The Masqueraders (thank you for pointing out that Georgette Heyer published several before she was 30!))
✔️a media tie-in (clarification in a thread) - Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home
✔️ an LGBTQIA* book - The Eagle's Heir
✔️a book about food - The Christmas Chronicles: Notes, Stories and 100 Essential Recipes for Midwinter
✔️a scary/creepy book - The Yellow Wallpaper
✔️ a book that is part of a series but not the first book (could be a later released prequel though) - Behold a Pale Horse
✔️a Goodreads Choice Awards winner (any year, any category) - The Book of Life
✔️a book with an animal on the cover - The Crow Road
✔️a book mostly set in the desert - Crocodile on the Sandbank
✔️a book that was adapted into a movie - Charlotte Gray

I really liked Ninefox Gambit (and have since read the 2nd in the series, eagerly awaiting the 3rd!). The Marshal's Lover was superb as was The Eagle's Heir (also by Jo Graham) which I chose for LGBTQIA because it's a choose-your-own-adventure 'book' where you can be any combination of sex, gender and orientation you like. Glad to see the category is back for next year though! The hardest category was biography and media tie-in (I started As You wish for the latter but moved it to 'memoir' when I realised I had nothing else for that, and am finishing Long Way Home today instead).

Oh, and the movie based on a book challenge turned out to be super easy as they've been showing all the Harry Potter films over Christmas - last one tonight!

message 7: by Pocki (new)

Pocki | 61 comments Mod
Well done everyone!
With an hour and a half to spare I managed to finish my last book (it's short but I'm gonna count it!). Yeah... down to the wire here.

So I ended up finishing all 20, and this is my final list:

a book released in 2017: Star’s End by Cassandra Rose Clarke
a book written before 1900: Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu
a non-fiction book: Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab The Body Farm, Where The Dead Do Tell Tales by Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson
a kids book: Instructions by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Charles Vess
a YA novel: Starfall by Melissa Landers
a book of fantastical fiction: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story by Alexander Freed
a cozy mystery: Potions and Pastries by Bailey Cates
a debut novel: The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
a book of poetry or drama: Your Soul is a River by Nikita Gill
a biography/autobiography/memoir: Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher
a book written by someone under the age of 30: The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
a media tie-in: Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy by Pablo Hidalgo
an LGBTQIA* book: Not Your Villain by CB Lee (all kinds of sexual and gender identities in this series which is lovely)
a book about food: Salt by Mark Kurlansky
a scary/creepy book: The Boy on the Bridge by MR Carey (I didn’t find this scary but it’s a GR Choice Awards nominee in Horror so I figures it counts)
a book that is part of a series but not the first book: Within The Sanctuary of Wings by Marie Brennan (fifth and last book in The Memoirs of Lady Trent)
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner: Dead Wake by Erik Larson (2015 winner in History & Biography)
a book with an animal on the cover: The Extreme Life of the Sea by Stephen R Palumbi and Anthony R Palumbi
a book mostly set in the desert: It Devours by Joseph Fink
a book that was adapted into a movie: Un dulce olor a muerte by Guillermo Arriaga

It's always hard to pick favourites. But Within the Sanctuary of Wings was lovely, as all other books of the series and it was sad to say goodbye. I also fell utterly in love with Nikita gill's poetry, so Your Soul is a River was amazing.

I guess hardest for me was before 1900, which shouldn't have been hard. I had a plan but never got around to reading that book. Which is why I finished Carmilla a few minutes ago XD

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 1 comments I'm new to the group, joining primarily so i could get updates about the 2018 challenge. Then as i reviewed the categories i realized i had finished more than half through the course of my everyday reading. To get my motivation going for 2018 I thought I'd share what I did finish:
~A Book Released in 2017 - The Roanoke Girls
~A Book Written Before 1900 - The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
~A Non-Fiction Book - Great Expectations: Baby's First Year
~A Kid's Book - Giraffes Can't Dance
~A YA Novel - Beautiful Creatures
~A Book of Fantastical Fiction - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
~A Cozy Mystery - Murder at the Courthouse
~A Debut Novel - The Reservoir
~A Book of Poetry or Drama (Play) - Buried Child
~A Scary/Creepy Book - The Steel Kiss
~A Book That is Part of a Series, but Not the First - Hunting Shadows
~A Book With an Animal on the Cover - A Feast for Crows
~A Book Mostly Set in the Desert - Seventh Decimate
~A Book That Was Adapted to a Movie - The Joy Luck Club

message 9: by Hanna (last edited Jan 01, 2018 04:49AM) (new)

Hanna Gunnarsson a book released in 2017 - De kommer att drunkna i sina mödrars tårar
a book written before 1900 - Heart of Darkness
a non-fiction book - Orientalism
a kids book - Nicky the Nature Detective
a YA novel - The Bell Jar
a cozy mystery - The Tale of Aypi
a debut novel - Tripprapporter
a book of poetry or drama - Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth
a biography/autobiography/memoir - En droppe midnatt
a book written by someone under the age of 30 - All This Belongs to Me
a media tie-in - The Bricks that Built the Houses
an LGBTQIA book - Middlesex
a book about food - Grönsaker - Tillbehör & garnityr
a scary/creepy book - Lilla stjärna
a book that is part of a series but not the first book - Barn av sin stad
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner - Go Set a Watchman
a book with an animal on the cover - In the Sea There are Crocodiles: Based on the True Story of Enaiatollah Akbari
a book mostly set in the desert - Cities of Salt
a book that was adapted into a movie - The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I have two favourites: De kommer att drunkna i sina mödrars tårar and Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth.
I did not enjoy reading Go Set a Watchman... I find it really hard to understand how that book was voted "best book of the year" in 2015.

I'm really glad that I finnished Cities of Salt this year. I began reading that book in spring 2015, and since then it's just been on stand-by and I thought I'd never finnish it. Now I had a really good reason to do that since it's set in a desert, and the book is also really good.

message 10: by Sofie (new)

Sofie (hallvi) | 2 comments a book released in 2017 Norse Mythology

a book written before 1900 Eddan: De nordiska guda- och hjätesagorna

a non-fiction book We Should All Be Feminists

a kids book Anne of Green Gables

a YA novel The Hunger Games

a book of fantastical fiction (fantasy/scifi/paranormal) Mage's Blood

a cozy mystery Eddan: Murder at the Brightwell

a debut novel The Fair Fight

a book of poetry or drama (that is to say a play, not just ~dramatic~) Crow

a biography/autobiography/memoir Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis

a book written by someone under the age of 30 Eddan: Stay With Me

a media tie-in (clarification in a thread) Welcome to Night Vale

an LGBTQIA* book :(

a book about food :(

a scary/creepy book The Graveyard Apartment

a book that is part of a series but not the first book (could be a later released prequel though) The Hero of Ages

a Goodreads Choice Awards winner (any year, any category The underground Railroad

a book with an animal on the cover The Last Banquet

a book mostly set in the desert Rebel of the Sands

a book that was adapted into a movie Rebecca

BONUS: watch a movie that was based on a book! (maybe make it the same as #20) The Hunger Games

I did pretty well with my challange. As you can see I have two unread categories, and what I'm most bummed about is that I didn't read an LGBTQIA book. I did buy one that I am really hyped for, but as per usual in my case I got distracted by other books and didn't read it. The good thing is that now I have it for 2018's challenge! ;)

Rebecca was one of my absolute favourites of the year and I think everyone should read it. Another highlight was re-reading Anne of Green Gables, a book (series) that I adored as a child.

message 11: by Pernilla (new)

Pernilla (saffran) | 11 comments I'm afraid my final result is identical to my last progress update, so I'll spare you what would essentially be a duplicate of that post. I've been doing a LOT of reading over the past few weeks, due to illness, but sadly only things that didn't fit into any of my unfulfilled categories.
I'll think about which my favourites were and get back to you on that. :-)

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 10 comments Oops, forgot to share my likes/dislikes!

Hands down, I loved "Hyperbole and a Half." In general, everything I read was really good except for "The Treasure of the City of Ladies," which was a bit of a slog. I appreciated the scholarship in "The Food Section," but I'd only recommend it to someone genuinely interested in the subject, not for general reading.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nbaker) I had a blast and managed to complete my list right before the end of the year. I got to read some books I might never have and found some new authors to follow.

a book released in 2017 Detective Cross
a book written before 1900 Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave
a non-fiction book Remembering Paradise Park: Tourism and Segregation at Silver Springs
a kids book - Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
a YA novel The Inquisition
a book of fantastical fiction (fantasy/scifi/paranormal) Outlander
a cozy mystery - Presumed Puzzled
a debut novel - An Ember in the Ashes
a book of poetry or drama (that is to say a play, not just ~dramatic~) Come Sunday
a biography/autobiography/memoir Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal
a book written by someone under the age of 30 - The Novice
a media tie-in (clarification in a thread) Star Wars: Darth Vader and Son
an LGBTQIA* book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
a book about food Back Pocket Pasta: Inspired Dinners to Cook on the Fly
a scary/creepy book The Scarlet Gospels
a book that is part of a series but not the first book (could be a later released prequel though) - The Treatment
a Goodreads Choice Awards winner (any year, any category) End of Watch
a book with an animal on the cover Song of the Lion
a book mostly set in the desert - Rock with Wings
a book that was adapted into a movie Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children