Start by marking “Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)” as Want to Read:
Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)

Calvin and Hobbes

(Calvin and Hobbes #1)

This is the first collection of the popular comic strip that features Calvin, a rambunctious 6-year-old boy, and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, who comes charmingly to life.
Published May 1987 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Calvin and Hobbes, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jasper OMG OF COURSE YOU SHOULD

Start your review of Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)
Archit Ojha
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

Strip after strip after strip.

Some books just win you over.

I too sleep with the baseball bat beside my bed to kill the monster lurking down it.

I wonder I still may not be old enough to not start doing this poll manipulation thing with my dad either.

I do not want my wife to have such a kid in the house. I want to be that kid rather.
We might consider a tiger instead.

With characters sketched up as well as these, you will be going out of your way not to give this one a 5 star.

Wonderful and
Dan Schwent
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, 2018, 2018-comics
Once upon a time, I was nuts for Calvin and Hobbes. I read it every Sunday morning and bought the first six collected editions. Once Bill Watterson retired, so did my interest in reading newspaper comics. Earlier this morning, I watched the documentary Dear Mr. Watterson, which was great, and decided to check out the dog-eared, well-loved Calvin and Hobbes collections sitting on a shelf in my basement. As I write this, it's been easily 25 years since I cracked this puppy open.

The story starts as
Prashant
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
This is what I got in my mail box to cheer me up while I used to study late in the winter.

Too stressed with your schedule and cold??

Have a Calvin break

[image error]

I reread this book about once a year, along with the rest of the Calvin & Hobbes series, because it is simply wonderful. Nobody can balance sincere wonder and biting snark quite like Bill Watterson...

For those of you who don't know (yes, such people exist) Calvin is the kid with the wild hair, and Hobbes is his loyal stuffed tiger. Whether Hobbes comes alive by magic a la the Velveteen Rabbit, or is but a figment of Calvin's (admittedly overactive) imagination, is a question that not only
Pooja
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
If you want to appreciate the peace in your life better than you already do, want to realize and feel proud of its beauty, serenity and tranquility, then you have to read Calvin and Hobbes.

Calvin is a 6-year old super intelligent, humorous and lazy kid, a kid whom you never wish to meet. Because he uses his intelligence in making people's lives miserable! Not in an evil way, but a way not less than evil!

Hobbes is his stuffed tiger, calm, modest, sarcastic and funny who plays with Calvin and
Orient
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the comics fans
Calvin is a fabulous kid with fantastic imagination and he has a stunning feature to drive mad everyone around.

Shayantani
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
description

Who doesnt love Calvin, the over imaginative, mischievous child, with his imaginary tiger friends Hobbes? His antics drive his parents to the brink of insanity and he loves pondering about his Captain Spiff fantasies during class. He is always either making excuses for not having the healthy (read: disgusting) food he has been served, or advocating childrens right to vote in crucial decision like bed time hours, or irritating his friends Susie.

Every page is funnier than the last one and the
Donovan

I don't know if I lived in a bomb shelter as a kid or was subject to a weird mind-altering device, but I don't remember ever reading Calvin and Hobbes. Like ever. And it's fantastic. The humor is totally smart and clever, and their friendship charming. It's funny how the parents really are the bad guys from Calvin's perspective, and we're not sure if Hobbes is real or imaginary. But I suppose if he's real to Calvin then he is real, isn't he?

Recommended for re-instilling optimism after the world
mina
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love it love it love it!
One of the best comics ever!
Although it's just another story about a super hyperactive small boy and his imaginary friend, you love Calvin so much because of his hilarious "know-it-all" comments. He trashed through house, to the point that his parents hoped that they had dachsund instead.

(Heard from the doctor's examination room):
Calvin: "Hey, doc, why are you rubbing my arm with cotton? Are you going to put a leech there? ... Are you going to bleed me? You're not going
Rahul Holani
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 🌟
Bill Watterson Is A Creative Genius.
Calvin and Hobbes is truly a masterpiece.
In past, I have read this comic strip in tid bits and knew its greatness but after completing this first volume, I understood why it is a timeless cartoon it is. Looking forward to volume 2 and more fun and exciting stories in the life of Calvin and Hobbes. 5 Stars is just a rating, its worth in the world of art is invaluable.
Dee
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-reads, favourites
Love, love, LOVE this cartoon! Especially love Calvin's dad and his explanations!! Oh, and Hobbes when he gets on the subject of girls. <3
rahul
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

And, this is one of my favorites

Antonio
"Childhood as it actually is" is the best definition of this book so far.
Paige
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before I left for my year-long adventure to London, my boyfriend and I exchanged our favorite books with each other, in the hopes that we would both read them while I was gone, and it would remind us of the other person.
I gave him The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
He gave me this one.
And I loved it. So much. I see so much of him within the comics and I see where he gets his imagination and wonder from. He's always loved Calvin and Hobbes and I totally see why. They're fun. They remind me of being
Julia
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic of all time. I'm sure you've all heard of this, because Calvin and Hobbes has been around for a very long time. But for those who haven't read it, I say pick that comic book up right now! This book is comic strips about a six year old who hates school, homework, baths, his "evil" baby sitter, Rosalyn, and food his mother makes. Calvin's friend, Hobbes, is a stuffed tiger that comes to life when nobody is around except Calvin. His next door neighbor and ...more
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this a lot! If you want to read something light hearted and interesting that won't really take too long to read then you should pick this book up!
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
May 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Aqsa (On Hiatus) by: Hallie
This sounds so sweet!
Pallavi Sareen
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
See, this feeling. This 'I know I should have read this before' feeling that comes with reading a book or comic that is so good, (and you already know it is going to be so good) is such a confusing feeling. Because isn't all time the perfect time to read a perfect book or a comic?
I love unanswerable questions.
Ruel
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's been years since I've read any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics and when I stumbled across this first volume at the library, I couldn't help devouring it in one sitting. This book serves as an excellent reminder of why Calvin and Hobbes was so popular in its day and why it is so revered now: Bill Watterson created a brilliant and charming character in six-year-old Calvin. The little boy is hilarious and adorable, especially when his stuffed tiger Hobbes comes to life. Whether sledding in the ...more
Lana
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Himanshu Karmacharya
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
A fun little book containing the many adventures of Calvin, a hyperactive, mischievous and intelligent 6 year old boy, with his stuffed tiger, Hobbes.

The book is a collection of a number of comic strips, and they vary in range from being humorous to philosophical.

The artwork is very cute, especially the way he draws Calvin. He also manages to capture the emotions of the characters pretty well in his own cartoonish style.
Ray Smith
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strips
Calvin and Hobbes became a favorite of mine back in the mid 80s. In black and white on the pages of the Indianapolis Star I followed the young boy - Calvin - an imaginative (understatement) 1st grader, and his often times alive, sometimes stuffed-tiger sidekick Hobbes, who very often was Calvin's conscience (yes, rarely listened to!).

Many of us can relate to the story of a young boy and his favorite stuffed animal going to far away worlds on other planets, to prehistoric earth, or just being a
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Logan carries around his best stuffed friend, Cuddles, who is a white tiger, so he and Calvin have something in common. Some of the stuff went over Logan's head and I had to explain it, but overall, lots of laughs. Logan's never been to school, so there was some unfamiliar territory there, but he watches Johnny Test, which has clued him in to all the school talk and the issues with school, so he gets why Calvin hates school. He knows what it means to be called to the principal, to be scolded for ...more
Vanessa
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes, and the first edition of the collections was no different. If ever I need to feel uplifted, and have a little chuckle to myself, then I can just go back to the child tearaway that is Calvin, and the imaginary friend I always wished I'd had that is Hobbes. My favourite cartoon series of all time, and a delightful first collection.
Nathan D
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes are tow of the most likeable and characters you will fine in this fun advancer you will fined comady and lots of fun you rely need to read this book.
Carolyn Page
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest comic strips of all time.
Issa
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My childhood favourite comic strip. Reading it nowadays brings you back to the feeling of endless summer days spent with your best friends... Real or imagined
Kelly Gesker
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this as a challenge prompt for a Top Selling book the year you graduated from high school. It definitely holds up. Unfortuanately I am now relating to Calvin's parents rather than to him. Frowny face.
Raphael Lysander
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Little Prince of comic!
Dave
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily among the most clever of comic strips, Watterson's cartoons of the boy Calvin and his imaginative ( real Tiger ) Hobbes was a treat to read daily and in this 127 page soft cover collection. All black and white strips. Great stuff!
Bill Watterson 1 9 Jan 30, 2018 01:45PM

• Bloom County: Loose Tails
  • The Far Side Gallery 2
  • The Far Side Gallery
  • FoxTrot: The Works
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police (Dilbert #8)
  • From Hell, Vol. 1
  • Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
  • The Far Side Gallery 3
  • Marvel 1602 #1
  • Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy
  • The Saga of the Swamp Thing (1982-1996) #1
  • Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
  • Humongous Zits (Zits Treasury, #1)
  • Kingdom Come #1 "Strange Visitor"
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction
  • Persepolis, Volume 1
  • Wonder Woman (2011-2016) #1
  • Maus: Un survivant raconte, tome 1: Mon père saigne l'histoire (Maus, #1)
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling (Calvin and Hobbes #2)
  • Yukon Ho! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)
  • Weirdos from Another Planet! (Calvin and Hobbes #4)
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat (Calvin and Hobbes #5)
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" (Calvin and Hobbes #6)
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons (Calvin and Hobbes #7)
  • The Days Are Just Packed
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat (Calvin and Hobbes #9)
  • There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)
  • It's a Magical World (Calvin and Hobbes, #11)