Start by marking “The Graveyard Apartment” as Want to Read:
The Graveyard Apartment

The Graveyard Apartment

A terrifying tale of a young family who move into an apartment building next to a graveyard and the horrors that are unleashed upon them.

One of the most popular writers working in Japan today, Mariko Koike is a recognized master of detective fiction and horror writing. Known in particular for her hybrid works that blend these styles with elements of romance, The Graveyard
Published October 11th 2016 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published July 1988)

Start your review of The Graveyard Apartment
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
One day Teppei (father), Misao (mother), Tamao (daughter), Cookie (dog) and Pyoko (White Finch) move into an apartment by the graveyard. And that was the dumbest decision they ever made!

The story starts out slow for me, but after about 40% it takes off. There are little things in the beginning, stuff with the bird that pass and kept coming back and everyone being creeped out by the basement where the storage units were . . . and then . . . it all gets cray!

When these bizarre things start happ
Beverly
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Althea Ann
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Early in this book, there's an aside, (I wondered if it was added by the translator) to the effect that Western people might not find it terribly scary or abnormal to live in the vicinity of a graveyard, noting that many people regard them similarly to lovely parks. This definitely describes my attitude; I would regard a home with a view looking out on a graveyard to be more desirable, not less.
Although I've visited Japan, asking people what they thought of living near cemeteries never came up
Carrie
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A young family has bought an apartment in a new building that houses fourteen apartments but only has eight current tenants. The building itself overlooks a cemetery and crematorium. Upon moving in the family begins to experience a few odd occurrences starting with their pet bird dying shortly after arrival but then the young daughter claims she still sees the bird.

When shown around the building the family discovers one odd design flaw to the place, the basement only has access via the elevator
abby
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, netgalley, horror
A large, modern apartment conveniently located in metro Tokyo. It's surrounded by a graveyard, a crematorium, and a Buddhist temple-- but the price to die for.

Misao and Teppei are married and have a young daughter, but in ways their happiness, and the very legitimacy of their relationship, is marred by a tragedy involving Teppei's first wife. They buy an apartment in a brand-new luxury building, proud to finally have a space that's truly "theirs." Their new home is spacious and affordable, but t
Nancy Oakes

brief plot etc: here.

The synopsis of this novel sounded like something right up my horror-reading alley, and it had potential to become a definite spine chiller had I not felt like I was reading a twisted Japanese version of the movie Poltergeist. Not only was this book a "been there, done that" sort of thing for me, but it moved at a snail's pace -- while some weird things happened, they did so sort of piecemeal, with a lot of space in between which for me only deadened any sort of creep fact
Erin Dunn
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, wishlist

Thank you to NetGalley for providing a free ebook copy of The Graveyard Apartment By: Mariko Koike in exchange for an honest review.

Short Review Summary:
Atmospheric, good tension, and slow building.

The first thing that drew me to The Graveyard Apartment is the cover, but the other thing that really caught my attention is that it was originally published (in 1986, the year I was born) in Japan. I enjoy Japanese horror and I feel like it's something that
Rebecca McNutt
The Graveyard Apartment is one of only a few Japanese horror novels I've ever read. While it's not (in my opinion) as well-written, deep or complex as Ring or Another, and its plot has definitely been done to death in various forms before, it's a slow-paced but creepy little story featuring an ordinary family pitted against something strange and sinister, providing a memorable lesson on the price people pay for seeking cheaper land on sacred grounds. The eccentric neighbours and the family drama ...more
Lisa
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Misao & teppei move into an apartment with their daughter Tamao & dog Cookie by a graveyard after Teppei's former wife commits suicide. They think they will be happy until certain unknown incidents begin to happen.

WHAT EVIL IS INSIDE THE BASEMENT!!
As the story progresses Teppei is warned by Mr Suji to keep out of there but he just makes a joke of it saying What's down there Monsters or something But te resident said something more sinister>

It is not until one of the residents tells Misao that Ta
Cyna
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Oh my gosh I was so disappointed in this one, you guys. I thought for sure this would be a home run, I mean Japanese horror, HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG. It has to be creepy, right?

Nope. Turns out it can just be stilted and kind of boring.

Conceptually it’s fine: a family moves into an apartment building erected right next to a graveyard and starts experiencing weird shit. The execution is where it’s lacking. I don’t know if it’s a style thing or a translation thing or just a bad combination of the two,
Ms. Nikki
Teppei, Misao, their daughter, Tamao, and the family pet move into a newly built apartment ready to start their lives anew.
Happiness and peace do not come easily when minor disturbances start to happen that the family cannot ignore. The graveyard located nearby has the tenants wondering if their living arrangements aren't a dream come true, but a nightmare ready to be unleashed.

The premise for this story is what motivated me to request it. I picked it up and put it down many a time and with the
Kimberly
3.5 stars.

THE GRAVEYARD APARTMENT, by Mariko Koike was first written in 1986, and later translated into English. The novel takes place in Japan, where the Kano family--Teppei, Maseo, and their young daughter--move into an extremely affordable apartment that they can finally consider a "place of their own". In fact, if it weren't for the fact that it's surrounded by a cemetery and crematorium, the place would almost seem ideal. . .

This was a very atmospheric and slow-burn type of "supernatural h
Horace Derwent
Folks, it's really a typical J-horror novel...

The origianl title means "a home/house/family from where one can see a cemetery"
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Graveyard Apartment' by Mariko Koike is a fun scary story about a haunted condominium building. It isn't graphic nor is the plot original, but the atmosphere is undeniably creepy.

In the book, the apartments are not called condominium units, but from the description of buying the apartments and having a mortgage it seems to me these 900-square foot apartments are condos.

Teppei Kano and his wife Misao are thrilled to have been approved for the mortgage to purchase an apartment in the Central
Karyn
Dec 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Saw this book on a list of "best horror novels" and gave it a try. It's possibly the translation but I could not connect to any of the characters. I think only Cookie the dog had any sort of survival instinct. I'm not one that requires every detail explained to me, especially supernatural, but it seemed like none of the exposition even mattered to the conflict or the awkward epilogue.

There was so much silliness. A basement that can only be accessed by an elevator (gee, I wonder if something bad
Rachel Bea
I would have rated this book higher if the writing was a little better. I suspect that the fault lies with the translation, though. The text read as a little dry when describing creepy scenes or even just basic moments. But what I liked about the book was:

The insight into Japanese culture, which I know little about;
The main characters had an interesting background that made them complex and the author risked making them very unsympathetic characters because of it;
The creepy scenes in the basemen
Alex (Hey Little Thrifter)
A couple and their young daughter move into a new apartment they have purchased for a very reasonable price. The compromise is that the building is located right next to a graveyard and temple. Strange things start to happen as soon as they move in but they skeptically brush them off until they develop into something they simply can't ignore. This something is not just creepy but also dangerous.

I really enjoyed this one and I thought the writing and the pacing were great. There are definitely s
Darlene
I was excited when I saw this book at the library because I have a thing for stories about haunted houses. When I think of Japanese horror, I think of terrifying movies like The Ring or The Grudge. My expectations were really high going in, especially after I saw the story being described in the synopsis as a “terrifying” tale. Unfortunately, the book missed the mark on the creep factor that I was hoping for but I still ended up liking it!

The story takes place in 1987 and revolves around the Kan
Amanda
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mariko Koike's The Graveyard Apartment is written in the same style as Japanese horror movie The Ring.

I picked this book up because I was looking for not only a scare but a scare from another culture. I wanted to compare a Japanese take on horror to that of North Americans. It is a different kind horror than most Americans are used to consuming. We like our horror to be fast-paced, heartbeat-skipping, and sleepless night inducing.

This book did not check the first box. It was a slow build, whic
Irene
Sep 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I have mixed feelings on this one. A husband, wife, their young daughter, and dog Cookie (who is the only character's name I can spell or pronounce) move into a beautiful brand new apartment which overlooks a graveyard and crematorium. In fact on some days you can see the smoke of burning bodies drifting towards the windows. From the minute they move in odd things start happening. Their pet bird dies their very first night in their new home, and as if that is not enough of a bad omen, right away ...more
Jessica Woodbury
2.5 stars, rounded up. The haunted house genre has morphed with the changing times to now include entire apartment buildings. It's really fertile territory, I just wish Koike did a little more with it. The creepy factor is there (just the thought of getting stuck in a basement is horrifying) and I thought the end really delivered (rare in horror) but an important part of a good horror novel is a non-horror narrative. There needs to be a story for our characters that is not just scary thing happe ...more
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
3.0 Stars

The book started out with a promising setup. The narrative was quite slow paced, but the premise initially kept me intrigued. Unfortunately, the story took too long to get going and never managed to create suspense or terror. For a translation, the writing was fairly clean. Overall, this was a good premise for a horror novel that failed in the execution.
Doug
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is an early(ish) internal rumination by our father-figure/male-protagonist, Teppei, about his admiration of some college friends that had moved into an apartment of a recently deceased woman. Rather than them being freaked out or made uneasy by this, they had even taken to eating off her plates and using her stuff to save money and to have a good time. At the time, it is staged as his comparison of the rational (there's no reason not to use the woman's stuff and take advantage of the cheap ...more
Jordaline Vulva
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks! I hate it!
Laura (midorireads)
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I had mixed feelings when it came to deciding how I wanted to rate this one...

The Graveyard Apartment: A Novel caught my eye because I love J-Horror, and the idea of a book centered around the occupants of an almost empty building, across from a graveyard??? Count me in! So here I am, assuming that that means I'll get a lot of supernatural moments. Moments that typically start off small in that 'did I imagine it?' sense, building up to a full-blown haunting that terrorizes and terrifies all in i
Nicole
This genuinely creeped me out. Definitely a slow burn, but the last 30 pages will stick with me for a long time to come.
Henry Bello
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Love the whole idea of this story. But It had been better as a short story instead. Too much going around to end up in the same place
Tammy
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it

Translated by Deborah Boliver Boehm

The nitty-gritty: An atmospheric and creepy ghost story that kept me turning the pages, but ultimately suffered from awkward writing and plotting.

I thought it would be nice to close out the month with a ghost story, especially since today is Halloween! I was initially drawn to The Graveyard Apartment because of the chilling cover art, depicting an apartment building set against a stormy sky, smack dab in the middle of a cemetery. The book was originally publish

Elaine
Oct 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm a big fan of manga and Japanese horror but the uneven ratings here helped me to prepare for the worst and I was rewarded for my cynicism, unfortunately.

The only horrifying aspect of The Graveyard Apartment was how not horrifying it was.

First, I didn't realize the book was published in the early 90s and was just released in the US as a paperback. That's why I couldn't understood why the events took place in the late 80s. How retro.

Secondly, the premise of the story felt very cliche-y because
Dna
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
What a creepy little ghost story! Sinking into this slow-burn ghost story felt a lot like Shirley Jackson's amazing novel, The Haunting of Hill House. The writing style felt like Shirley Jackson period, maybe even a bit of We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I just loved it. The characters had a hard time leaping off the page at first, as Koike doesn't take care to really flesh them out. However, as the plot progresses and ups the creep-factor, that tiny failure becomes less noticeable. I think ...more
Horror Aficionados : June Group Read #2- The Graveyard Apartment 51 258 Jun 22, 2020 07:41PM
The Challenge Fac...: Rachel & Connie - The Graveyard Apartment 28 25 Mar 29, 2017 08:08PM

• The Good House