The Green Jell-O Book Club: A Goodreads Group about Fiction Written by LDS Authors discussion

Reading Challenges > The 2018 Alphabet Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 192 (192 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by A.L. (last edited Feb 01, 2018 07:18PM) (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments It’s almost time for The 2018 Alphabet Reading Challenge!

Here are the rules:

Earn points by hitting each letter of the alphabet, with either the first letter of a word in the title, or the first letter or initial in the author’s name. Some letters are more difficult than others, so we’ll award points based on the Scrabble letter value. Letters like X or Q will earn you 10 points. Vowels will earn you 1 point. (I’ll post the scrabble values in a separate post.)

Anything you read can count (fiction or nonfiction, by any author, LDS or not), but you get extra points for fiction over 200 pages long (10 bonus points), and extra points if the item is written by an LDS author (10 bonus points).

Each book may only count for one letter and you may only count each letter once. You are allowed to switch things around and change your mind as the year progresses. (For example, you read a book that count as A, D, or T. You originally put it under T, but switch it to A when you read another T book.)

If you are reading for another challenge, (either in this group, or a different group) you may count the book toward both challenges.

The challenge will run from January 1, 2018, until December 31, 2018. The book ought to be completed during those dates (if you start early, that’s fine).

Unless I find out it’s not allowed by Goodreads, I’ll give whoever has the most points a $20 Amazon gift card at the end of the year. (If any author would like to add their books as prizes, message me or post below.)

Feel free to add suggestions or questions!

Who’s ready to start the challenge?

Prize information:

-$20 gift card for whoever reaches the maximum number of points for the challenge first (607 points), or whoever has the most points as of December 31, 2018.

-A copy of Off Script by Liv Bartlet , donated by Liv Bartlet, for whoever hits all 26 letters first.

-A copy of The Time Key by Melanie Bateman , donated by Melanie Bateman, for the first person to reach 200 points.

-A copy of either Beyond Summer Dreams by Jennie Hansen or Wild Card by Jennie Hansen , donated by Jennie Hansen, for whoever has the most points on June 30, 2018.

-A copy of The Billionaire's Sweet Valentine by Laura L. Walker The Billionaire's Sweet Valentine by Laura L. Walker, for whoever has the most points on Valentine's Day.

*Each reader is only eligible to win one book prize throughout the challenge, but someone who has already won a book prize is eligible for the gift card.

message 2: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Here are the letter values (based on Scrabble--which isn't perfect, because it's based on overall usage, not beginning of word or name usage, but we're going to use it anyway):

A=1
B=3
C=3
D=2
E=1
F=4
G=2
H=4
I=1
J=8
K=5
L=1
M=3
N=1
O=1
P=3
Q=10
R=1
S=1
T=1
U=1
V=4
W=4
X=8
Y=4
Z=10

message 3: by A.L. (last edited Dec 29, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Here is an example of how it works:

Let's say you've read The Last Messenger of Zitol by Chelsea Dyreng, One Small Chance by Lucinda Whitney, and The Alliance by Gerald N. Lund.

The Last Messenger of Zitol could count toward T, L, M, O, Z, C, or D. You put it in for Z because Z has the most points.

One Small Chance could count toward O, S, C, L or W. You put it in W.

The Alliance by Gerald N. Lund could count as T, A, G, N, or L. You put it in for G.

Your challenge update would look like this:

A

B

C

D

E

F

G
The Alliance by Gerald N. Lund
Letter points: 2
LDS bonus: 10
Novel bonus: 10
book total: 22 points

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W
One Small Chance by Lucinda Whitney
Letter points: 4
Novel bonus: 0 (because it's less than 200 pages)
book total: 14 points

X

Y

Z
The Last Messenger of Zitol by Chelsea Dyreng
Letter points: 10
book total: 30 points

Challenge total (so far): 66 points

You can update your challenge as often as you read a new book, or wait and update it monthly, or update it on whatever schedule works best for you.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 18 comments I am in. And I am definitely reading the Zitol book for Z. I will let you know the rest when I get there.

message 5: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Kristen wrote: "I am in. And I am definitely reading the Zitol book for Z. I will let you know the rest when I get there."

I think that's going to be my "Z" book too. I've heard good things about her books, but I haven't read either of them yet.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie | 19 comments Love this challenge! Count me in!

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 18 comments A.L. wrote: "Kristen wrote: "I am in. And I am definitely reading the Zitol book for Z. I will let you know the rest when I get there."

I think that's going to be my "Z" book too. I've heard good things about ..."

A.L. wrote: "Kristen wrote: "I am in. And I am definitely reading the Zitol book for Z. I will let you know the rest when I get there."

I think that's going to be my "Z" book too. I've heard good things about ..."

I am read Cenote by Dyreng for the Green Jello Challenge. It was sitting on my bedside table because I was supposed to read it for book club and hadn't gotten around to it in time . Anyway. I loved it when I finally read it and wished I had read it before we discussed it. I would highly recommend it.

message 8: by A.L. (last edited Dec 30, 2017 06:27PM) (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Yay, we've got at least three of us doing this!

The nice thing about this challenge is you can read 26 books . . . or 1 book, and you're still earning points.

message 9: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Lybbert | 19 comments I'm going to join in this challenge. Looks like a lot of fun!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelkiss) | 6 comments I would love to join this challenge!! Thanks for hosting!

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Walker | 64 comments Sounds like fun. I'm in!

message 12: by Mara (new)

Mara | 105 comments I've never done this type of reading challenge before, but it sounds like fun. When do we post our accomplishments, and do we post them here?

message 13: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Katrina, Angela, Laura, and Mara, welcome to the challenge!

Mara, we'll go ahead and post them here. You can do it every time you read a book, or once a month, or whatever works for you. This will also be a good place to post things like, "Hey, I'm looking for Q ideas, any suggestions?"

Here's a blank alphabet if anyone wants to copy and paste it:

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

And the points info to copy and paste:

Letter points:
LDS bonus:
Novel bonus:
Book total:

message 14: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 151 comments Ill try it too.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 3 comments I’m going to participate. Sounds like fun!

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 18 comments For Q you could use, QB My Life Behind the Spiral by Steve Young.

message 17: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Kristen wrote: "For Q you could use, QB My Life Behind the Spiral by Steve Young."

I don't think Q is nearly as hard as Z or X. There are lots of titles with Queen or Quest in them. Emily R. King has several.

But X . . . I've found one novel by an LDS author that works for X. Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. And I think it's part of a series, so I probably won't use it.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Walker | 64 comments For Z, look for a book that begins with Zion. Marsha Ward has a book called Zion's Trail (if I remember right). Too bad I've already read it.

message 19: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Laura wrote: "For Z, look for a book that begins with Zion. Marsha Ward has a book called Zion's Trail (if I remember right). Too bad I've already read it."

Yes! Zion and Zarahemla. There's also Zombie Kid and books by Jeff Zentner.

message 20: by Kristen (last edited Oct 18, 2018 09:34PM) (new)

Kristen | 18 comments A - DONE
Athena by Heather B. Moore
Letter points: 1
Book total: 21

B - DONE
Before the Dawn by Dean Hughes
Letter points: 3
Book total: 23

C - DONE
Cross My Heart by Julie Wright

D - DONE
Daisy: a novel by Josi Kilpack
Book total: 22

E - DONE
An Echo of Murder by Anne Perry

F -DONE
A Fine Gentleman
Book total: 24

G - DONE
Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner
Book total: 22

H - DONE
Ruby's Secret by Heather B Moore

I - DONE
Ilana's Wish by Annette Lyon

J - DONE
Love's Broken Roadby Julie Coulter Bellon
Letter points: 8
Book total: 28

K - DONE
Keeping Kinley by Annette K Larsen
Letter points: 5
Book total: 25

L - DONE
Lies Jane Austen Told Me by Julie Wright

M h- DONE
Murder on the Serpentine by Anne Perry

N - DONE
Paige: a novel by Annette Lyon

O - DONE
Olivia by Julie Wright

P - DONE
Package Deal by Charissa Stasny

Q - DONE
The Hundredth Queen by Emily R. King
Book total: 30

R - DONE
Painting Rain by Annette K. Larsen

S - DONE
Shannon's Hope by Josi Kilpack

T - DONE
Treachery at Lancaster Gate by Anne Perry

U - DONE
To Win a Lady's Heart: An unforgettable tale of love and honor by Sian Ann Bessey

V - DONE
Victoria's Promise by Julie Wright

W - DONE
Winning Mr. Wrong by Marie Higgins

X
Xenocide
Book total: 28

Y - DONE
Wrong For You by Jenny Proctor

Z - DONE
The Serpent King by Jeff Zenter
book total: 30 points

Challenge total (so far): 534

message 21: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Awesome plan, Kristen!

message 22: by A.L. (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments I finally got around to creating a challenge where you can pledge the # of books and have Goodreads keep track of your progress. Here's a link: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 23: by Mara (new)

Mara | 105 comments Thank you. I bookmarked it so I don't have to search for it every time.

message 24: by Mara (new)

Mara | 105 comments "Q" The Slave Queen by H. B. Moore

message 25: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (charissastastny) | 169 comments Kristen wrote: "I am in. And I am definitely reading the Zitol book for Z. I will let you know the rest when I get there."

Good choice. Everyone should read Chelsea's books (The Cenote and Last Messenger of Zitol). She's amazing!!!

message 26: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (charissastastny) | 169 comments This sounds fun, Amanda. Thanks. I'm going to try it, although X already makes me shake in my boots. I read Xenocide years ago, so I can't count it again.

message 27: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Charissa wrote: "This sounds fun, Amanda. Thanks. I'm going to try it, although X already makes me shake in my boots. I read Xenocide years ago, so I can't count it again."

That's why I just signed up for 25 books. I might get lucky and find something by a non-LDS author, but otherwise, I'm going to skip it.

message 28: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (charissastastny) | 169 comments A.L. wrote: "Charissa wrote: "This sounds fun, Amanda. Thanks. I'm going to try it, although X already makes me shake in my boots. I read Xenocide years ago, so I can't count it again."

That's why I just signe..."

I will just keep track of my list on Word and then transfer it over here when I think I'm done.

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Bateman (melabateman) | 22 comments This is awesome! Is this for the whole year then?

message 30: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Yes, it's for the whole year.

And to clarify, audiobooks also count. Rereads count too, but each book can only be used once. So if you read the same book prior to 2018, you're good to use it again (if you want to). If you read the book in February and again in April, you can only use it once on the challenge.

message 31: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Looks like I posted the wrong link to the challenge where you can pledge books and goodreads will keep track of it. Here's the correct one (I'll update it above too): https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 32: by Laura (last edited Jan 02, 2018 06:31PM) (new)

Laura Walker | 64 comments Here is the first entry on mine. Not an LDS author but still a fun read of over 400 pages. So 13 points so far.
A

B

C: The Calico and Cowboys Romance Collection: Love Is a Lighthearted Adventure in Eight Novellas from the Old West

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

message 33: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments I think you're in the lead for now, Laura!

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliecs351gmailcom) | 25 comments I️ read Puzzle Pieces by Betsy Brannon Green. This will be under P. I️ liked the story and how she unveiled the mystery of a cold case murder and the main character’s background. I️ liked all the characters, it was cleverly written.

message 35: by Mara (new)

Mara | 105 comments Julie wrote: "I️ read Puzzle Pieces by Betsy Brannon Green. This will be under P. I️ liked the story and how she unveiled the mystery of a cold case murder and the main character’s background. I️ liked all the c..."

I love Betsy Brannon Green and have almost all of her books, except this one.

message 36: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments I still haven't read any of her books. I need to!

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 7 comments I am in! Sounds fun!

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura Walker | 64 comments A.L. wrote: "I think you're in the lead for now, Laura!"

Haha! That won't last long.

message 39: by Mara (last edited Jan 04, 2018 12:40AM) (new)

Mara | 105 comments A

B

C

D

E

F: First Touch by Teyla Branton

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

And the points info to copy and paste:

Novel bonus:
Book total: 14

message 40: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 151 comments M- Lily of the Manor by Anita Stansfield
Letter Points: 3
LDS bonus:10

message 41: by Debbie (last edited Feb 16, 2018 07:12AM) (new)

Debbie | 7 comments A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen

X

Y

Z

Letter points: 7
Novel bonus: 20
Book total: 37

reply | flag *

message 42: by Angela (last edited Jan 06, 2018 02:00PM) (new)

Angela (angelkiss) | 6 comments I'm starting with the hard letters first - just to get a jump start! :)

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O. The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oaks
LDS bonus: 0
book total: 11 points

P

Q. The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
LDS bonus: 0
book total: 20 points

R

S

T

U

V

W

X. On Raspberry Lane by David Xavier
LDS bonus:0
Book total: 18 points

Y

Z

message 43: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 151 comments H 4 A House Divided by Diane S. Tolley
LDS Bonus 10
Novel 10
Total: 24

message 44: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments You guys are awesome!

I've only finished one book so far this year, and it's not a novel, nor is it by an LDS author, so I think I'll wait and only put it on my list if I have holes toward the end of the year.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (librarygirl720) | 1 comments Sounds fun. I'm in!

message 46: by Becca (new)

Becca McCulloch (globecca) | 9 comments I'm in - this sounds like fun. I'd also be happy to offer my first novel with an LDS protagonist as a prize.

message 47: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliecs351gmailcom) | 25 comments I read “Saint Anything” by Sarah Dessen for S. It was about a girl named Sydney whose brother was put in prison for drunk driving. She goes through some changes in relationships with her family and dealing with being the only child at home. She makes new friendships and I was kept interested the whole time.

message 48: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Sowards | 2481 comments Yay! Glad to have you, Rachel and Becca!

Becca, thanks for the offer on the prize. I will send you a message.

Julie, glad you enjoyed Saint Anything!

message 49: by Mara (new)

Mara | 105 comments I just finished "P"
A Peculiar Courtship by Laura Beers
P: 3

Book total: 23 points

message 50: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 151 comments J The Darkest Summer by Rebecca J Greenwood
Letter J 8
LDS Bonus 10
Novel bonus 10

Book Total 28

By the way, Any of my books will get the reader 8 points for J. Another 8 for J would be my book Journey Home.

I'd also be happy to donate either Wild Card or Beyond Summer Dreams as a prize for this challenge.

« previous 1 3 4