Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Jamie B's Neverending Readathon Log

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 318 comments Mod
I do actually have a blog, but every readathon I say I'll post my readathon updates there, and then I maybe remember to visit my blog once during the whole event to post something. But I practically live on goodreads, it seems. And I like the formatting on goodreads for keeping track of readathon style reading (which is not so effective on my blog). So, I'm gonna try keeping a thread here this time, just to see if it works better. For this readathon I am going to be trying to actually use my social media accounts to track my readathon progress and do minichallenges, still, but if this thread proves more successful I may just do a GR thread for next year's readathons. So many social media sites, so little time!

message 2: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 416 comments I tend to do a bit of unofficial cheerleading on the blogless threads (and on Litsy, and a bit on Facebook), but I never visit anyone's blog. It's just easier when I'm already one place to look at what others are doing.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Leni wrote: "I tend to do a bit of unofficial cheerleading on the blogless threads (and on Litsy, and a bit on Facebook), but I never visit anyone's blog. It's just easier when I'm already one place to look at ..."

Yep. I like tumblr best for formatting when it comes to readathons, too, and so few people use tumblr now. And people don't seem to be visiting my blog hoping for readathon updates; my followers on there seem more interested in reviews and book news, not hourly updates about my reading.

message 4: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 135 comments i can totally cosign to the Facebook community being awesome. i want to try and bring some of that to Twitter. I love readathoning my own way this year i want to try something different challenge this year. the reading community is so amazing and fun. i could be on social media all day. the Facebook page is so live and ppl are just being excellent to each other. goodreads threads and mini challenges and bragging rights. i never check blogs but I'm on Twitter listening to like audiobooks for like 12 hours. im gonna be creating bookish content and getting in my hashtags up. lol i do check random goodreads threads tho. im constantly shocked and impressed with how much reading ppl commit to in a day. it's becoming my reading Superbowl and i get it like twice a year!

message 5: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 65 comments "reading Superbowl" I love that name. That exactly describes how I feel.

message 6: by Jamie (last edited Oct 21, 2017 11:04AM) (new)

I stayed off social media for the first 5.5hrs (crazy idea, I know, but it works).
Hour 1-3: 'reread' an audiobook of Moving Pictures because the cats were warm and snuggly and didn't want to get out of bed yet.
Hour 4: The Hidden Oracle
Hour 5: The Raggedy Man
Hour 6: The Death of Achilles

Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1) by Terry Pratchett The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1) by Rick Riordan The Raggedy Man (Gwenn Ramadge, #3) by Lillian O'Donnell The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4) by Boris Akunin

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Happy Reading! ~Ashley

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Hour 11: The Death of Achilles
Hour 12-14: Black Friday
Hour 15: The Raggedy Man

Finished Black Friday

Black Friday by James Patterson The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4) by Boris Akunin The Raggedy Man (Gwenn Ramadge, #3) by Lillian O'Donnell Ungifted Intelligence Redefined by Scott Barry Kaufman

I'll swap in Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined in place of Black Friday in my reading rotation.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Hour 16: The Death of Achilles
Hours 17-18: The Raggedy Man
Hour 19: The Gunslinger (reread)
Hour 20: The Raggedy Man
Hour 21: The Death of Achilles

Finished: The Raggedy Man

The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4) by Boris Akunin The Raggedy Man (Gwenn Ramadge, #3) by Lillian O'Donnell The Gunslinger by Stephen King

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Hours 22-23: The Hidden Oracle
Hour 24: Audiobook- Mostly Harmless

Finished: The Hidden Oracle

The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1) by Rick Riordan Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide, #5) by Douglas Adams

message 12: by Jamie (new)

I'm finishing off the readathon with an audiobook so the lights can go off- the cats think it's way past bedtime and far too bright for decent sleep with the overhead light on.
I finished 3 of the 4 books I started at the beginning of this readathon, and will finish the 4th by the end of the weekend. Not bad for 24hrs.

message 13: by Jamie (new)

I had the following books 'in progress' at the start of this week, so my project for the 3rd pre-readathon, in addition to securing snacks and getting my apartment tidy before the readathon, I am hoping to finish as many of these as possible.

Hercule Poirot's Christmas Start page: 60
The Savage Detectives Start page: 206
The Darling Dahlias and the Unlucky Clover Start page: 51
Middlemarch Start page: 109
Paper: Paging Through History Start page: 76
Pattern Recognition Start page: 57
Stairway to the Mind: The Controversial New Science of Consciousness Start page: 9
The Sicilian Start page: 25
The Heart of Henry Quantum Start page: 39
The City of Dreaming Books Start page: 78
Death By A Whisker Start page: 107
The Ground Beneath Her Feet Start page: 87
A Man Called Ove Start page: 183
Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama Start page: 40
Speed Kings: The 1932 Winter Olympics and the Fastest Men in the World Start page: 53
Report from the Interior Start page: 35
Carve the Mark Start page: 12
The Line of Beauty Start page: 0

Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot, #20) by Agatha Christie The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño The Darling Dahlias and the Unlucky Clover by Susan Wittig Albert Middlemarch by George Eliot Paper Paging Through History by Mark Kurlansky Pattern Recognition (Blue Ant, #1) by William Gibson Stairway to the Mind The Controversial New Science of Consciousness by Alwyn Scott The Sicilian by Mario Puzo The Heart of Henry Quantum by Pepper Harding The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonien, #4) by Walter Moers Death By A Whisker (Cat Rescue Mystery, #2) by T.C. LoTempio The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman Freedom in Exile The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama by Dalai Lama XIV Speed Kings The 1932 Winter Olympics and the Fastest Men in the World by Andy Bull Report from the Interior by Paul Auster Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst

message 15: by Jamie (new)

My readathon plan- from now till 6am tomorrow I'll continue reading from this list:
Middlemarch Start page: 131
Paper: Paging Through History Start page: 162
Pattern Recognition Start page: 59
Stairway to the Mind: The Controversial New Science of Consciousness Start page: 9
The Sicilian Start page: 71
The City of Dreaming Books Start page: 167
Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama Start page: 82
Speed Kings: The 1932 Winter Olympics and the Fastest Men in the World Start page: 53
The Line of Beauty Start page: 19
The Secret Adversary (audiobook) Approximate start page: 82
The Three-Body Problem (audiobook) Approximate start page: 50

Middlemarch by George Eliot Paper Paging Through History by Mark Kurlansky Pattern Recognition (Blue Ant, #1) by William Gibson Stairway to the Mind The Controversial New Science of Consciousness by Alwyn Scott The Sicilian by Mario Puzo The Heart of Henry Quantum by Pepper Harding The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonien, #4) by Walter Moers Death By A Whisker (Cat Rescue Mystery, #2) by T.C. LoTempio Freedom in Exile The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama by Dalai Lama XIV Speed Kings The 1932 Winter Olympics and the Fastest Men in the World by Andy Bull Report from the Interior by Paul Auster Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1) by Liu Cixin The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1) by Agatha Christie

Starting tomorrow morning I'll add in a new book to the mix every 4 hours, regardless of how long my 'currently reading' list gets. And on Sunday morning I'll stop adding books again at 6am, and will not add a new book to the mix again till my currently-reading list on Goodreads is at or below 10 books.

message 16: by Jamie (new)

These are the 6 books that will be added to the mix during the readathon tomorrow-
Once There Was a War
The Whispering Muse
Megatokyo, Volume 1
An Unkindness of Ghosts
The Sunlight Pilgrims
The Miniaturist

Once There Was a War by John Steinbeck The Whispering Muse by Sjón Megatokyo, Volume 1 by Fred Gallagher An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 46 comments Wow! You have quite the list of books to read. I'm super impressed :) I hope you have a happy reading day! I'm excited to see how far you get through your reading pile.

message 18: by Jamie (new)

What I am reading for this readathon. I'll update page numbers soon. So far I've started the Megatokyo book, started and finished The Whispering Muse, and read a section of Middlemarch. After a snack (and brief online reading-break to post updates) I'm going to do a chapter or so in each book on my list till one grabs my interest enough to stick with it longer.-
Middlemarch Start page: 131
Paper: Paging Through History Start page: 162
Pattern Recognition Start page: 59
The Sicilian Start page: 71
The City of Dreaming Books Start page: 167
Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama Start page: 82
The Line of Beauty Start page: 19
The Secret Adversary (audiobook) FINISHED
The Three-Body Problem (audiobook) Approximate start page: 50
Once There Was a War
The Whispering Muse FINISHED
Megatokyo, Volume 1
An Unkindness of Ghosts
The Sunlight Pilgrims
The Miniaturist

Middlemarch by George Eliot Paper Paging Through History by Mark Kurlansky Pattern Recognition (Blue Ant, #1) by William Gibson Stairway to the Mind The Controversial New Science of Consciousness by Alwyn Scott The Sicilian by Mario Puzo The Heart of Henry Quantum by Pepper Harding The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonien, #4) by Walter Moers Death By A Whisker (Cat Rescue Mystery, #2) by T.C. LoTempio Freedom in Exile The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama by Dalai Lama XIV Speed Kings The 1932 Winter Olympics and the Fastest Men in the World by Andy Bull Report from the Interior by Paul Auster Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1) by Liu Cixin Once There Was a War by John Steinbeck The Whispering Muse by Sjón Megatokyo, Volume 1 by Fred Gallagher An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

Finished:
The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1) by Agatha Christie

message 19: by Jamie (last edited Apr 29, 2018 02:10AM) (new)

message 20: by Jamie (last edited Apr 30, 2018 12:09AM) (new)

I wound up listening to an old favorite instead of The Three-Body Problem for my last 2 hours of the readathon- audiobook readers that are just fine when you're well rested are not necessarily easy to stay focused on when you've been doing a readathon for 22 hours beforehand. So, The Light Fantastic was my only reread this time. I also finished about 200 more pages of Middlemarch before the end of Hour 24. Otherwise the above post is what I accomplished during the April 2018 readathon. :)

Pages read:
319 Middlemarch Start page: 131 End page 450
20 Pattern Recognition Start page: 59 End page: 79
29 The Sicilian Start page: 71 End page: 100
289 The City of Dreaming Books Start page: 167 End page: 456
218 The Secret Adversary Start page: 50 End page: 268
144 The Whispering Muse 144pgs
152 Megatokyo, Volume 1 152pgs
25 The Three-Body Problem Start page: 50 End page: 75
= 1186

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Jamie wrote: "No home internet again for this one, but yes, I am reading.
Currently reading:
Freedom
Masks
Vengeance of the Dancing Gods
Cause for Alarm
[..."

omg how many books at once! I truly envy you. I only manage to read 3 at once max

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Yay, another readathon weekend!

Here are my books that I am choosing from for the next 24hrs or so.
Smoke, by Ivan Turgenev
Critical Mass, by Steve Martini
The Girl Who Chased the Moon, by Sarah Addison Allen
Royal Assassin, by Robin Hobb
Cause for Alarm, by Eric Ambler
Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity as Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi, by Howard Gardner
Generation: The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth, by Matthew Cobb
My Life, by Bill Clinton
The Forsyte Saga, by John Galworthy
The Enigma of Arrival, by V.S. Naipaul
The Bloody Sun, by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Dusklands, by J.M. Coetzee

I have one carry-over, Cause for Alarm, from last time, but every other book from the last readathon stack is finished now. I am not starting any new books till I finish some of the ones on this list, because I have way too many books going on at once now. I am just now starting Enigma of Arrival, but it is for a monthly reading challenge and needs to be finished in August.

Currently reading:
Smoke by Ivan Turgenev Critical Mass by Steve Martini
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb Cause for Alarm by Eric Ambler Creating Minds An Anatomy of Creativity as Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi by Howard Gardner Generation The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth by Matthew Cobb My Life by Bill Clinton
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) by John Galsworthy The Enigma of Arrival by V.S. Naipaul The Bloody Sun (Darkover) by Marion Zimmer Bradley Dusklands by J.M. Coetzee

message 24: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments So many good books in your list! I'll be curious to see what you read. Good luck!

message 25: by Jamie (last edited Aug 03, 2019 02:08PM) (new)

Progress so far:
Smoke, by Ivan Turgenev
Critical Mass, by Steve Martini
The Girl Who Chased the Moon, by Sarah Addison Allen
Royal Assassin, by Robin Hobb
Cause for Alarm, by Eric Ambler
Creating Minds: An Anatomy of Creativity as Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi, by Howard Gardner
Generation: The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth, by Matthew Cobb
My Life, by Bill Clinton
The Forsyte Saga, by John Galworthy- Start page 201, Currently page 304.
The Enigma of Arrival, by V.S. Naipaul
The Bloody Sun, by Marion Zimmer Bradley- Start page 50, Currently page 256
Dusklands, by J.M. Coetzee FINISHED
Hazards of Time Travel, by Joyce Carol Oates - Start page 7, FINISHED
The Shadow Land, by Elizabeth Kostova - Start page 165, FINISHED

Currently reading:
Smoke by Ivan Turgenev Critical Mass by Steve Martini
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb Cause for Alarm by Eric Ambler Creating Minds An Anatomy of Creativity as Seen Through the Lives of Freud, Einstein, Picasso, Stravinsky, Eliot, Graham, and Gandhi by Howard Gardner Generation The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth by Matthew Cobb My Life by Bill Clinton The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) by John Galsworthy The Enigma of Arrival by V.S. Naipaul The Bloody Sun (Darkover) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Finished:
Dusklands by J.M. Coetzee Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova

message 26: by Jamie (new)

Wrap-up for the Aug 2019 Reverse Readathon-
Royal Assassin, by Robin Hobb 35pgs
Generation: The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth, by Matthew Cobb FINISHED
The Forsyte Saga, by John Galworthy- 230pgs.
The Bloody Sun, by Marion Zimmer Bradley- 206pgs.
Dusklands, by J.M. Coetzee FINISHED
Hazards of Time Travel, by Joyce Carol Oates - Start page 7, FINISHED
The Shadow Land, by Elizabeth Kostova - Start page 165, FINISHED

Read/Finished
Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb Generation The Seventeenth-Century Scientists Who Unraveled the Secrets of Sex, Life, and Growth by Matthew Cobb The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) by John Galsworthy The Bloody Sun (Darkover) by Marion Zimmer Bradley Dusklands by J.M. Coetzee Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates The Shadow Land by Elizabeth Kostova

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Tic Tac Toe time....

message 28: by Jamie (new)

I may finish a few books off my stack before the readathon begins, but these are for sure on my readathon stack.
The War of the Worlds
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Secret Agent
Cause for Alarm
Of Human Bondage

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad Cause for Alarm by Eric Ambler Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

message 29: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Jamie wrote: "I may finish a few books off my stack before the readathon begins, but these are for sure on my readathon stack.
The War of the Worlds
The Count of Monte Cristo..."

Great choices and good to see you back, Jamie!

message 30: by Jamie (last edited Oct 25, 2019 01:58PM) (new)

Since I am still only online when I am at the library, I am playing this weekend more as a '24in48' style readathon. No point in forcing an all-nighter if I can't check in with other readathoners for hourly activities, updates and chatting outside the 4-5hr window when I'll be able to be online. Maybe by the next readathon I'll have finally found a job so I can have internet at home again, but at least I'm reading during the readathon again this time.
So, I started reading today at noon and will finish up at noon Sunday before I head to the library for my knit/crochet club meeting.
Here are my books this time:
Henry VIII
A Traitor to Memory
Talking God
Maya's Notebook
Hot Money
Digging for Richard III: The Search for the Lost King
LaRose
The Infatuations
The War of the Worlds
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Secret Agent
Cause for Alarm
Of Human Bondage

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham Henry VIII by William Shakespeare A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11) by Elizabeth George Talking God (Leaphorn & Chee, #9) by Tony Hillerman Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende Hot Money by Dick Francis Digging for Richard III The Search for the Lost King by Mike Pitts LaRose by Louise Erdrich The Infatuations by Javier Marías

message 31: by Jamie (new)

I've started with:
Henry VIII Start page 0, finished Act 1.1
A Traitor to Memory Start page 253
Talking God Start page 101, paused at pg152.
Maya's Notebook (audiobook) Start at disc 4. finished disc 4.
total time: 2hrs

I am at the library now, and plan to finish Henry VII before I leave today.

message 32: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Sounds like a good plan, Jamie! That's a lot of books!

message 34: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Great list! I enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo (more than I liked The Three Musketeers, actually).

message 35: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Batista (booksbynadia) | 84 comments Hey Jamie! I love how big your TBR is :D Welcome to Hour 12!

message 36: by Jamie (last edited Oct 29, 2019 12:41PM) (new)

message 37: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Jamie wrote: "Dewey's Fall 2019 Wrap-up

Henry VIII - Finished
A Traitor to Memory - read but not finished
Talking God - Finished
Maya's Notebook- Finish..."

Great job, Jamie!

message 38: by Jamie (new)

Ooh, exciting! My friend gave me home internet this week as a birthday present, so now I get to be online for the whole 24hr span of the April 2020 readathon. Now I just have to decide what to read for this one. :)

message 39: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 863 comments That’s good news Jamie!

message 40: by Jamie (last edited Apr 19, 2020 06:34PM) (new)

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 353 comments Jamie wrote: "My initial reading stack for the spring readathon:

The Girl on the Train
The Master
In the Woods
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing
[book:The..."

Looks like a great list! Tana French is one of my favorite authors.

message 42: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Welcome back!

message 43: by Jamie (last edited Apr 25, 2020 09:15AM) (new)

message 44: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 350 comments Good luck with the readathon, Jamie :) You've got some great reads lined up. I adore The Secret History.

message 45: by Elsi (new)

Elsi (elsielsi) | 89 comments Have fun Jamie! You have some great books on your TBR

message 47: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 489 comments Jamie, The Secret History was was thought-provoking and then horrifying. Enjoy!

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 61 comments What do you think of Girl On The Train? I loves it! Also got In The Woods on my TBR.

message 49: by Jamie (last edited Apr 25, 2020 08:29PM) (new)

I decided to finish the last Oz book before diving into my planned TBR.
So:
Currently reading:
The Girl on the Train -- Start page 0
The Master -- Start page 0
In the Woods -- Start page 0
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing -- Start page 0
The Chamber -- Start page 50
The Secret History -- Start page 100

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins The Master by Colm Tóibín In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride The Chamber by John Grisham The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Finished: The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13) by L. Frank Baum Glinda of Oz (Oz, #14) by L. Frank Baum
The Magic of Oz Glinda of Oz

message 50: by Jamie (last edited Apr 25, 2020 11:51PM) (new)

Currently reading:
Blonde
The Girl on the Train -- Start page 0
The Master -- Start page 0
In the Woods -- Start page 0
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing -- Start page 0
The Chamber -- Start page 50, current page 115
The Secret History -- Start page 100

Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins The Master by Colm Tóibín In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride The Chamber by John Grisham The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Finished: The Magic of Oz (Oz, #13) by L. Frank Baum Glinda of Oz (Oz, #14) by L. Frank Baum
The Magic of Oz Glinda of Oz

« previous 1 3