Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
This topic is about Thief of Shadows
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - November, 2017- Thief of Shadows (Virgin Hero)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Discussion thread for November, 2017 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions).

Happy reading:)

Thief of Shadows
Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4) by Elizabeth Hoyt

A MASKED MAN . . .

Winter Makepeace lives a double life. By day he's the stoic headmaster of a home for foundling children. But the night brings out a darker side of Winter. As the moon rises, so does the Ghost of St. Giles-protector, judge, fugitive. When the Ghost, beaten and wounded, is rescued by a beautiful aristocrat, Winter has no idea that his two worlds are about to collide.

A DANGEROUS WOMAN . . .

Lady Isabel Beckinhall enjoys nothing more than a challenge. Yet when she's asked to tutor the Home's dour manager in the ways of society-flirtation, double-entendres, and scandalous liaisons-Isabel can't help wondering why his eyes seem so familiar-and his lips so tempting.

A PASSION NEITHER COULD DENY

During the day Isabel and Winter engage in a battle of wills. At night their passions are revealed . . . But when little girls start disappearing from St. Giles, Winter must avenge them. For that he might have to sacrifice everything-the Home, Isabel . . . and his life.

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Thanks Priya...going to be a good re-read/listen...I think I have this on audio and look forward to entertaining this again. Especially because the narration is done well.

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Oct 22, 2017 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara James I'll enjoy re-reading as well, I believe.

10/23, spoiler alert. I'm early here. I glanced through it. I remember that I didn't like it as much as the other books in the series.

I had no problem with the hero being virginal, but I suppose that I prefer traditional type romances. The heroine was older, wealthier than him, more aristocratic, and more sexually experienced. She wasn't able to have children, but they made up for it because the hero was the headmaster of an orphanage. What made him even more heroic was that he was a masked avenger, one of several men who served as "the Ghost of Saint Giles," a crime fighter.

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
I won't reread, but I may listen. I haven't listened to any of them yet, but Hoyt is one my favorites, and I have read all of her HRs.

message 5: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Al George  (georgieme) | 1575 comments Mod
I'll join in and listen to this one as well!

message 6: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan (jan130) | 1852 comments I read this one in June this year, and I don't think I'll be ready for a reread come November.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments This book was one I was not that keen on when I read it last year, so I am interested to re-read and see how I feel this time around. Not usually a fan of older, experienced heroines with younger men, but I smell a double standard here (which is bloody outrageous given that I profess to be a feminist!) so.... I am gonna re-read with an open mind :)
Is there a GOOD audio version? I've never listened to any Hoyt books.

Mariana | 2257 comments I have read a few random Elizabeth Hoyt books. I loved some and hated others, but I have never completed any of her series. I am excited to read this for the first time as I love virgin Hero books.

message 9: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ursula wrote: "This book was one I was not that keen on when I read it last year, so I am interested to re-read and see how I feel this time around. Not usually a fan of older, experienced heroines with younger m..."

I haven't tried it yet have heard good things.

Not my favorite trope either, nor is it my favorite of the series. So we'll see.

message 10: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Virgin Hero is one of my favourite tropes. I would like to read this, but I have a few books to read this month. Also, this book is #4 in the series and I don't have time to pick up a new series now. So, I am skipping this group read.

message 11: by D.L. (new)

D.L. I am holding it at the library. It sounds interesting!

Mariana | 2257 comments I am going to read without reading the first 3 books ahead.

message 13: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam | 3 comments I just finished this book! Wonderfully written, loved the characters and how they related to one another.

Katariina (katariinao) | 37 comments I am usually not a fan of older heroine and younger hero but this was perfect. Maybe even my favorite in this series.

message 15: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I’ll be re reading/listening to this book. I read it when it first was released. So I won’t remember much. I really enjoy this series!

Minerva Spencer (minervaspencer) I'm new to this group, and very excited to see that Hoyt's book is the BOM. I'm not sure how it happened, but I seem to have missed this one. I can only think that was I skipped it in my binge-fest when I first discovered Hoyt. Anyhow, I look forward to reading it and discussing. I am sad the Maiden Lane series is over (well, there are the 2 novellas) but excited to see what she comes up with next.

message 17: by Renae (new) - rated it 1 star

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments Just joined (been lurking for a little while) because I've been looking for a romance book club to participate in. And I'm so excited that this is the book this month! I've been meaning to read the Maiden Lane books for ages, and this is the perfect "excuse". I've read Hoyt's Princes trilogy and enjoyed it, and I'm hoping this series/book is good as well!

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Geri wrote: "I’ll be re reading/listening to this book. I read it when it first was released. So I won’t remember much. I really enjoy this series!"

Same here but as I listen to it ...will come back to memory lol

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Renae, Lady Disdain wrote: "Just joined (been lurking for a little while) because I've been looking for a romance book club to participate in. And I'm so excited that this is the book this month! I've been meaning to read the..."

Quite sure you will enjoy. I did and am trying to finish up the series two novellas out there waiting to be released I think so I am excited

message 20: by Renae (new) - rated it 1 star

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "Quite sure you will enjoy. I did and am trying to finish up the series two novellas out there waiting to be released I think so I am excited "

I love waiting until the series is "complete" before I start reading, just in case I LOVE it an need to marathon all of the books at once. Which...is probably what's going to happen here, haha.

Mariana | 2257 comments I have to go pick this up from the library today!

message 22: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 122 comments Hmm. It's been a long time since I read this.

//adds to re-read list

Guiltless Delights (guiltlessdelights) | 27 comments I already finished it in 2 days! I loved it!

The Ghost of St. Giles just always reminds me of Wesley from The Princess Bride. That sweeping bow haha.

I know some people didn’t from reviews so it’s really interesting to see why they didn’t.
I’ve only really been reading HR for like a year and even over that time my tastes have changed and developed. I suspect something I liked 8 months ago I may not like now and it’s so interesting that a different mind set can change how you view and enjoy a book.

message 24: by Geri (last edited Nov 01, 2017 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I have read most books in this series, except the latest, Duke of Desire and a novella, Once Upon a Moonlit Night. I will be getting to these soon! Good to know there are new novellas to be released.

I started the book today. Read the first 3 chapters. The story is vaguely familiar. LOL I like Winter. He is such a good guy, running the home for the children. He’s a bit restrained, but I look forward to his secret being revealed to Isabel. I think she is going to loosen him up!

message 25: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri I agree mindset is important when reading any book. I have re read a book and felt very different the second time around, for good and bad.

Guilty Pleasure Reads wrote: "I already finished it in 2 days! I loved it!

The Ghost of St. Giles just always reminds me of Wesley from The Princess Bride. That sweeping bow haha.

I know some people didn’t from reviews so it..."

message 26: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Guilty Pleasure Reads wrote: "I already finished it in 2 days! I loved it!

I know some people didn’t from reviews so it..."

Hah! Nailed it.

princess bride

Esp because Winter is all "life is dark" and all that business.

I'm about 15% in and really loving it.

message 27: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri Winter isn’t the usual historical romance hero. But Hoyt does a great job at making the story work! I am enjoying the banter between Winter and Isabel. And the passion! LOL

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments I agree This a re-listen for me and I am enjoying it again. I too like the relationship they have and (view spoiler) At 75% audio'd

Mariana | 2257 comments I started reading. I read two chapters yesterday and two today. This is odd for me as I usually binge read a good book. I have really enjoyed most of the Hoyt books I've read, and the virgin hero trope is my favorite. Therefore, I expected to love this book. Somehow I did not expect the older more experienced woman who "had seen a man--men, actually--naked". I like it so far; but oddly enough, I feel no compulsion to keep reading and not put the book down.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Will start tonight- read it a while ago, don't remember much except the sex scenes - shame on me!

message 31: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana wrote: "I started reading. I read two chapters yesterday and two today. This is odd for me as I usually binge read a good book. I have really enjoyed most of the Hoyt books I've read, and the virgin hero t..."

Ack. Sorry to hear that. I hope it picks up for you!

message 32: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri wrote: "Winter isn’t the usual historical romance hero. But Hoyt does a great job at making the story work! I am enjoying the banter between Winter and Isabel. And the passion! LOL"

I haven't gotten to the passion part...but I'm waiting!

message 33: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok, I have a slight rant and it's not at the author. In this case, it's a character...I think her name's Penelope? I tend to gloss over her name because she doesn't deserve much more.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ally wrote: "Ok, I have a slight rant and it's not at the author. In this case, it's a character...I think her name's Penelope? I tend to gloss over her name because she doesn't deserve much more.

I mean I j..."

Oh Penelope. Such a great character to loathe. She is very prominent in Duke of Midnight.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Ah yes, Penelope. A pain in the backside. I remember HER.

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Ally wrote: "Ok, I have a slight rant and it's not at the author. In this case, it's a character...I think her name's Penelope? I tend to gloss over her name because she doesn't deserve much more.

I mean I j..."

I totally agree with your assessment.

message 37: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri Most of the time I can read a book in 2-3 Days. But I savored this one. It wasn’t just a romance for me, but a good story too.

Mariana wrote: "I started reading. I read two chapters yesterday and two today. This is odd for me as I usually binge read a good book. I have really enjoyed most of the Hoyt books I've read, and the virgin hero t..."

message 38: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri LOL They are memorable!!

Ursula wrote: "Will start tonight- read it a while ago, don't remember much except the sex scenes - shame on me!"

message 39: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna wrote: "Ally wrote: "Ok, I have a slight rant and it's not at the author. In this case, it's a character...I think her name's Penelope? I tend to gloss over her name because she doesn't deserve much more. ..."

You're right. I kinda forgot about her. Either that or I had to blank her character out of my mind. Do you remember what happens to her in that book? Spoiler it, please =)

message 40: by Debby*BabyDee (last edited Nov 07, 2017 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments Ally wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Ally wrote: "Ok, I have a slight rant and it's not at the author. In this case, it's a character...I think her name's Penelope? I tend to gloss over her name because she doesn't dese..."

Penelope (view spoiler)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments I finished the book last night. Forgot how lovely Winter's character really was. How wonderful for a man (view spoiler) to be so non-judgemental about a woman's sexual experience. And how badly did Isabel need a man like Winter! It took me a while to warm to her but she came through for me in the end. And yes- very memorable-and typical for Hoyt - sex scenes :)

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments I too finished last night and fell in love myself with Winter Makepeace. Especially when he (view spoiler) so romantic😍
This is one of my favs in the series.

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments I just posted my review. He really is a wonderful hero!

message 44: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ally wrote: "Joanna wrote: "Ally wrote: "Ok, I have a slight rant and it's not at the author. In this case, it's a character...I think her name's Penelope? I tend to gloss over her name because she doesn't dese..."

Penelope in Duke of Midnight (view spoiler)

message 45: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debby "Penelope."

Well, thank goodness for that. I'm totally over her.

message 46: by Al George , Mod (last edited Nov 07, 2017 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna wrote: "Penelope in Duke of Midnight "

Ah yes. Now I remember. I'm glad for that ending. That means we don't have to deal with much more of her in the series, right?

Debby*BabyDee | 598 comments That's right she was in Duke of Midnight

Mariana | 2257 comments Ally wrote: "Guilty Pleasure Reads wrote: "I already finished it in 2 days! I loved it!

I know some pe..."

I did not get The Princess Bride reference yesterday. After reading chapters 5 and 6, I totally do! "As you wish." I love that movie. Gonna have to watch it again soon.

message 49: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ok I am a little over halfway through and am overall enjoying the book although it's taking me longer than normal to finish it. A sign? Possibly. Of what? With my brain, who knows.

Thoughts:
1. (view spoiler)So, that part seemed normal to me.
2. All of the above said the (view spoiler)
3. And lastly, I really am enjoying the story. I want to know who is doing the devilish and evil mean things and what happens with all of the children. Oh, and let's not forget Penelope, she of the throat punch, and Lord Dark.

How is this going to the rest of you?

Mariana | 2257 comments Ally wrote: "Ok I am a little over halfway through and am overall enjoying the book although it's taking me longer than normal to finish it. A sign? Possibly. Of what? With my brain, who knows.

Thoughts:
1. [s..."

Taking longer than usual for me as well. I read your spoilers, but I am obviously a little behind you (through chapter 8).

I am enjoying the story and think I will read the last half faster than the first.

« previous 1