Start by marking “Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)” as Want to Read:
Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)

Duke of Desire

(Maiden Lane #12)

A LADY OF LIGHT

Refined, kind, and intelligent, Lady Iris Jordan finds herself the unlikely target of a diabolical kidnapping. Her captors are the notoriously evil Lords of Chaos. When one of the masked-and nude!-Lords spirits her away to his carriage, she shoots him . . . only to find she may have been a trifle hasty.

A DUKE IN DEEPEST DARKNESS

Cynical, scarred, and brooding
Mass Market Paperback, 308 pages
Published October 17th 2017 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Duke of Desire, please sign up.
Amitha I don't think so...he is a viscount not a duke
maybe this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...…more
I don't think so...he is a viscount not a duke
maybe this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...(less)
Hilda This is the final full length book, then we get 2 novellas and then it's all over. …moreThis is the final full length book, then we get 2 novellas and then it's all over. (less)

Start your review of Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)
WhiskeyintheJar
***Full Review***

Kidnapped and brought as an offering to the Lords of Chaos, Iris improbably finds herself rescued by the towering Wolf.
Now a man and ready to take on the insidious Lords of Chaos, Raphael, finds himself saving a woman he can't forget a shared waltz with.
Raphael's scars run deeper than just the surface but Iris is determined to show him he's wor
Alyssa

Book Twelve of the Maiden Lane series
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: October 17, 2017
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Book 9: Sweetest Scoundrel 3.5 Stars
Book 10: Duke of Sin 5 Stars
Book 11: Duke of Pleasure 4.5 Stars
Book 12: Duke of Desire 4 Stars

This has been one exciting series. I never would've thought his
Jilly
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Someone's been watching too much of The Bachelor! The heroine in this book is the person rejected by the hero of the last book. And, just like The Bachelor, I can't help but wonder why we would want to see the LOSER of the last story get their own story.

I see our next Bachelorette!

So, like the chick above (I don't watch the shows and just spent a disturbingly long amount of time researching so I can use the memes and gifs. I really need to get a life.), Iris is getting her chance at romance aft
Nenia ✨️ I yeet my books back and forth ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Elizabeth Hoyt is an author I keep coming back to again and again. She's like Lisa Kleypas's cooler, edgier older sister: her heroes are just as hot, but she's fonder of antiheroes and perilous situations - and I mean perilous beyond the last-minute murder attempts Lisa Kleypas casually throws into the last acts of her stories for tension.

Unfortunately, Hoyt, like Kleypas, can also be somewhat uneven with regards to the quality of the st
Bubu
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, read-2017, hr
Possible spoilers ahead

Raphael de Chartres, the new Duke of Dyemore since his father’s death in Duke of Sin, has come back to England to finally destroy the infamous Lords of Chaos, a secret society of degenerates who were led by his father for years and indulged in all sorts of unspeakable crimes against women and children. To do so, he has infiltrated said society, pretending to be one of them, and kill the new leader, the Dionysus whose real identity is unknown, even by the members of the Lor
Princess under cover
It's been one of those days. I've been binge reading EH's series. Thanks to my fellow Goodread friends who convinced me to continue on with the Maiden Lane series with Duke of Sin. While it wasn't my fav unlike many of the series' devoted fans, I am re-appreciating some of the other books later in the series, centered around the Lord of Chaos secret society.

I give this one 4.5 stars, which I rounded to 5. And here's why:

1) I love tortured heroes. Who doesn't?? They make for the most interesting
Lady Wesley
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev, arc, arc-rev, rrc
I'm sorry to see the Maiden Lane series end because I have enjoyed all eleven of the previous installments. I cannot say that I enjoyed this one though.

Yes, there is Elizabeth Hoyt's gothic atmospherics, deft plotting, and excellent pacing, as well as her outstanding characterization. She is a first-rate writer. If the danger and adventure had come from a group of evil men who were, say, French spies or jewel thieves, I imagine I would have enjoyed the book.

The villains, however, are a group of
h o l l i s
Maybe it was unfair to expect anything to live up to my last read, it could be argued nothing really stood a chance no matter what I picked up, but also.. uh.. this was really not enjoyable? It felt the least Maiden Lane-y of all the series. We get a pretty brief/minor appearance of one of the characters from the last book (and not even my favourite one) but otherwise it was full of more Lords of Chaos doom and gloom without any of the fun.

Both leads were a pretty big disappointment, though kudo
Caz
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals.

All good things must come to an end, and here we are, at the end (almost – I think there are a couple of novellas to follow) of Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series with the twelfth and final full-length novel, Duke of Desire. I’ve read some of the novels and listened to others (and in many cases, done both) and there’s no doubt that Ms. Hoyt has maintained an incredibly high standard of storytelling throughout the series, giftin
RachelW (BamaGal)
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This one is all Lords of Chaos. No Ghost, and no Maiden Lane/St. Giles. Although the LOC were supposedly defeated in the last book, they are back; and stronger and more evil than ever. I found the story to be uneven at best. The romance was bogged down by erotic escapades, the H had a lot of psychological damage, and the atrocities by the LOC were enough to turn the stomach. It was bad enough for the women who were sexually assaulted; but the abuse of the little boys by the group was unthinkable ...more
♥Rachel♥
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
Iris Jordan finds herself in the middle of the Lords of Chaos latest diabolical plan when they mistake her for the Duke of Kyle’s wife and kidnap her. Lucky for her Raphael is there, trying to infiltrate their horrid group rescues her from rape, torture, and possibly death. These men are despicable! Unaware of Raphael’s true intentions, Iris shoots Raphael as he’s trying to get her to safety. Ooops!

Snatching Iris away from the Lords of Chaos as his own was no easy task. To continue the deceptio
Mandi
If you are current with this series, you know all about the Lords of Chaos and their dark, horrible, abusive ways. If you are new or not up to date with this series, you can easily read this one as a stand alone. The Lords of Chaos are a clandestine group of men, who wear masks and torture, rape, kill and abuse women and children. They are after power and money – and obviously other things as well. This group has been the “villain” for a couple of books now, and it all comes to a dramatic climax ...more
Vanna
3.5 stars!! Liked it 💕. This story was darker and full of angst.., nevertheless I believe that since this may be the last of the Maiden Lane series.. it is understandable that the culmination would be full of action and angst.
The story started with a bang when Iris gets kidnapped by the Lords of Chaos, but Raphael (one of the Lords who is part of them only because he wants to bring them down from inside) rescues her; only to be shot by her due to a misunderstanding. What follows is a quick wedd
Joanna Loves Reading
I have debated internally on this rating. This is such a hard one. I liked it, but it's one of my lesser likes among Hoyt HR. For me, three stars for Hoyt is like saying I hated it, but that is absolutely not true. I DID find it disappointing, however, and that is the clencher here.

I am a huge Hoyt fan girl. I think she is amaze balls and can do no wrong. There are ones I like more than others, of course, but in general, I find more enjoyment from her books than most other authors out there. She
Robin (Bridge Four)
This combines two of my favorite tropes Beauty and the Beast along with the marriage of almost strangers to love. So this already is starting out pretty high for me and would take a lot to screw up. This story also seems to wrap up the Lords of Chaos arc that has ran through multiple books now.

Iris is kidnapped directly after the Duke of Kyle’s wedding. Seems the Lords of Chaos assumed that she is the new duchess of Kyle and want to inflict a little revenge against the man who is trying to take
Bj
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 "The Light to His Dark" Stars!

Lovers of Beauty and the Beast styled romances will be the most intrigued by Duke of Desire.  Building on this theme, Ms. Hoyt delivers another installment of the beloved Maiden Lane Series featuring a scarred hero who has become bitter and a recluse due to a terrible past at the hands of the man who should have loved him the most (his father). Fortunately though the hero does come back to life, not just with a kiss but with the perseverance of the love that the h
Sam (AMNReader)
I was around these parts when this came out so I wasn't expecting much. Here's the thing though. I LOVED this as the story of Raphael. In fact, I was surprised by how much I loved his character. But that/his conflicts didn't feel fully resolved. (view spoiler) ...more
Gilgamesha
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This series lost its appeal to me when the Lords of Chaos were introduced....the 11th book was the only 1 star I have ever given a Hoyt novel...because they don't resemble her writing...the unbridled passion....the desperate love....the angst and beauty of yearning for each other was missing from these books starting with the 8th book. This was an anticlimactic end to a beautiful series that for me began with Wicked Intentions and ended before Dearest Rogue....the rest of the books felt rushed a ...more
b.andherbooks
Well, this was a big womp womp for me. Sad to report the last book in the Maiden Lane series did not in any way make me feel that the series was complete. Also, as I was warned about, the last three books in this series were dark, disturbing, and felt a bit out place with the rest.

CW: kidnapping, attempted rape, description/discussion of rape of children (main character was raped as a child), gun violence, death of secondary characters, blood, gore, animal endangerment, probably more.

At the end
Mei
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Well, Ms. Hoyt's writing is as good as I'm used to, but the heroine here was pulling out my inner bitch!

I understand that Iris is a lady and used to have her every wish fulfilled, but sometimes I wanted to slap her! She didn't listen to Raphael, she didn just what she wanted and to hell with all the others! Grrr!!!

I wished a different heroine for Raphael! Somebody more empathetic, with a humility to trust his warnings, not just disregard them!

It was a good story, but when I cannot love one of th
Robin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kidnapped by the evil Lords of Chaos to be used as a sacrifice, Lady Iris Jordan shoots one of the masked men when he puts her in his carriage. She didn't know that he was Raphael de Chartres, the Duke of Dyemore, and that he was trying to rescue her. Raphael had infiltrated the Lords of Chaos to discover the identity of the new Dionysus and take him out. Now both he and Iris are targets of the group, so Raphael decides to marry her to keep her safe.

This is the last full-sized novel in the Maide
Francoise
“Duke of Desire” is the wrap up of an outstanding series. As the last full length installment in the Maiden Lane series, this book was one of my most anticipated read of the year. And I absolutely loved it! The characters are so beautifully drawn, the growth of their love, and the obstacles to it, so believable, that I was completely captivated by their story. It was gripping, intense and heartbreaking, the pace of the story, the angst and the action kept me riveted to the pages!

Iris Daniels, La
Annie

As the twelfth book in the Maiden Lane series, a lot has happened even before the DUKE OF DESIRE begins. I do believe it’s necessary to read the other books in the series. Not only will you get a better understanding of who the villains, the Lords of Chaos, are by doing so, but you’ll also get the first half of the hero and heroine’s meeting in the other books.

I was very much looking forward to this book. The Maiden Lane series is one of those series that continues to get better with each b
Amanda
As the final full length book in the Maiden Lane series, Duke of Desire ended up being my least favorite as I cared neither for the main couple, nor the story surrounding them. Elizabeth Hoyt’s often lush and captivating prose came across as hollow and unimpressive here. Worst of all was the romance itself. Because there wasn’t one; a romance, I mean or any romantic anything period. While I did think Iris and Raphael were fine, if not fully fleshed out characters as they were, the lack of a beli ...more
Darbella
Jaci
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Twelfth book in The Maiden Lane Series is the last full-length novel in the Series. I can honestly say that this is one of my top five Historical Romance Series that I have read, and I have read hundreds of Historical Romances so far.

It is fitting that the last one should be about Raphael de Chartres, The Duke of Dyemore, the darkest of the heroes in this Series. A man tormented by the abuse he suffered as a child at the hands of his own father. He has returned and will do what he should ha
Lori Foster
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last "big" novel of the Maiden Lane series. I loved the book, but the tragedy of Raphael's background was devastating to read, so I'm very glad I didn't start with this one. (I started out of order with Duke of Sin, then went back and read them all!)
Raphael broke my heart, and so did the main villain. They each had such horrific experiences/backgrounds that I wanted to coddle them both.
This is a do-not-miss series, but start at the beginning and save this gut-wrenching story for the finale!
Keertana
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this but I have to admit that it's among my least favorite in the series. Of course, that still means it's a solid read but not quite as good as I was expecting after all the build-up in the last novel. ...more
Erin Kelly
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all of the Maiden Lane books to this point. Hoyt has a way of combining the sweeping saga of a historical romance with the dark and edgy in a way that suits my tastes perfectly. So, you know I was excited to read this final entry in what is certainly one of my favorite series ever. A perfectly tortured hero and smart, no-nonsense heroine make this one memorable.

The Story-
Iris is kidnapped by the evil group that has terrorized a number of people in the past few books. Fortunately

• The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • The Scot Beds His Wife (Victorian Rebels, #5)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)
  • A Dark and Stormy Knight (Victorian Rebels, #7; Goode Girls, #1)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • Midnight Pleasures with a Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #4)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)
  • Falling Into Bed with a Duke (The Hellions of Havisham, #1)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)