Start by marking “Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)” as Want to Read:
Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)

Duke of Midnight

(Maiden Lane #6)

WHEN A MASKED MAN . . .

Twenty years ago Maximus Batten witnessed the brutal murders of his parents. Now the autocratic Duke of Wakefield, he spends his days ruling Parliament. But by night, disguised as the Ghost of St. Giles, he prowls the grim alleys of St. Giles, ever on the hunt for the murderer. One night he finds a fiery woman who meets him toe-to-toe—and won't back
Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published October 15th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Duke of Midnight, please sign up.
Lynn I don't think so. Characters from previous books have quite small roles in subsequent books. It's probably best to read them in order, but if your lib…moreI don't think so. Characters from previous books have quite small roles in subsequent books. It's probably best to read them in order, but if your library is missing one or something, I wouldn't worry about it.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
BJ There was gossip after the house party, and Artemis is taunted by Mrs Jellett she she is with Phoebe. I assumed that the gossip was shared by the wome…moreThere was gossip after the house party, and Artemis is taunted by Mrs Jellett she she is with Phoebe. I assumed that the gossip was shared by the women and presumably they would have shared with Penelope. And taken awful pleasure in her hurt too. (less)

Start your review of Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
The Cat Bastet
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
10/15/2013:

So I got up at midnight to read this because of course I did.

Even with a wondrous thing like Thief of Shadows, I do always feel a little letdown with this series, but I think it's because I am looking forward to each release so much that I'm bound to feel that way.

In this case, though, there is a pretty basic element that I think is a real problem, and here it is:

(view spoiler)
EmBibliophile
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Was that or was that not the best one in the series so far?

Okay actually I still can’t decide because I really loved scandalous desires as well, so maybe we can say that these two are the best.

First of all about the “Ghost of St Gilles”, because this is quite funny, we’ve got three men who protect the city. One of them was boring with the most plain personality ever, the next one got himself stabbed every single time he went out, the third one’s identity was recognized and was blackmail
Alp
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Do you want to be mine and only mine, away from this cursed world, in a place inhabited by just we two?”

I had high hopes for Duke of Midnight, considering that most of my friends enjoyed it so much, and not only did this book not disappoint, it exceeded all my expectations! I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful HR story, and it pulled me in right from the beginning and firmly held there until the end. It's been a while since I read anything that kept me turning pages like crazy. This one was
Jessica
I have yet to read an Elizabeth Hoyt book I didn't love, yet I STILL have only read a handful. What is wrong with me!?

This series is just so so good and I cannot wait to catch up with the rest of these books. From the start, I really loved Artemis's character and how she was so determined and strong. Her brother, Apollo, was in jail after being falsely accused of killing his three best friends and Artemis is determined to get him free, including blackmailing the Ghost of St. Giles. When Artemis
Mo
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars.

Oh, Maximus, Maximus, Maximus. Would you come to your senses and see the treasure that was straight in front of you? Would you turn your nose up at society and do what was in your heart? I really enjoyed this one. I think of the reasons was that Artemis was not of his station but she stood up to him and he didn't know what to make of her.

Maximus is a Duke and he must marry a noblewoman. It would be unheard of for him to marry beneath his station. But he wants Artemis, his goddess, his
Jilly
The male lead in this book is a douche. But, I knew of his douchiness going into the book. It turns out, though, that it didn't really matter because the female lead is so awesome that he pales in comparison. She is strong, determined, and cunning. She blackmails him into doing what she needs done, and won't let him control her - even after he sleeps with her. Yeah, no falling under the spell of his magic penis. No swooning and letting him take over her world. She is always in control. Yay! Girl ...more
Choko
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 3.85 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks. Because we are romantic like that:-)

I have to admit it - I am a complete sucker for Historical Romance! I am not sure why, is it the clothing, is it the societal norms of the time, is it the idea of the gentleman hero... But I love it all!

This series has been reviving around the seedy part of London in the 18th century and the legendary Ghosts of St. Giles. It is a bit repetitive, this being the sixth book in the series, but the truth is, there
Robin (Bridge Four)
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sexy, 2017-reads
Normally in a romance novel especially a HR one I can forgive the Hero almost anything and I often do. But for some I’ll mention it later reason I just never got there with him. I spent the majority of the book mad at him and wondering when Artemis was going to figure out that she could do so much better for herself.

The Skinny

Maximus is in the market for a wife and wants a perfect Duchess by his side. Pretty much his only criteria is that she is beautiful, a virgin and from a wealthy family. He
Nat O
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's about time! Loved this. I've waited forever for the story of Maximus Batten, Duke of Wakefield.
I was pleasantly surprised that I loved the heroine more than the guy!

I've had my eye on Maximus since Notorious Pleasures. Mister "I can do no wrong" is surely put to the test here. He's used to giving orders and getting what he wants. But in this story, his station in life is the one thing that is keeping him from his true desire.

The mystery of the Ghost of St. Giles continues. We all know
Rane
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: georgian-era, keeper

I'm always in the height of anticipation when it comes to Hoyt's newest book. When I found out it was to be Maximus Batten, Duke of Wakefield book, I couldn't wait to see how Hoyt would make him eat his harsh words toward a kind lady's companion and what made him tick.

The thing was he was out shined by IMO the best heroine of the series so far Artemis Greaves. Artemis has had some really crappy hands dealt to her in life and the last blow was her very sane twin brother Apollo thrown into Bedla
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
**Five Glittering Stars**

I think I am running out of words to describe just how much I LOVE this series! Time and again, Ms Hoyt enthrals me with her unforgettable characters, compelling plots and sensual romances.

This was not a man to be swayed by gentleness, beauty, or sweet words. He would bend – assuming he was even capable of bending – only for reasons of his own.

I didn't particularly like Maximus in the previous books but there was just something about him that intrigued me. I wanted t
Princess under cover
So... For some reason, I'm appreciating this particular series less and less after Book 5, or perhaps because of book 5. I gave this one 4 stars on the first pass, it's been a while since I've reread, and on this pass, I'm giving it 3 stars. Here's why.

Contrived plot between H and h. He's a Duke out for revenge. (Kind of like the Batman origin story, which isn't all that original, tho I do like that particular trope). He feels responsible for his parents' deaths and is trying to make up for it b
KatieV
This is my first Elizabeth Hoyt and I enjoyed it, but am left confused and feel like a lot of questions went unanswered. Perhaps, it is better to say I feel like I was missing a chapter or two.

You may say: "Of course you are confused, silly, you started at book #6 in a series. Duh."

**** SPOILERS ****

The heroine, Artemis, is a poor relation and companion/slave to a spoiled, beautiful heiress who has caught the hero's eye as the perfect Duchess to his exalted Dukedom. Artemis is pretty awesome. Th
Jo
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, gr2016

Who knew that the cold and seemingly unfeeling Maximus Batten, the Duke of Wakefield, could burn so passionately when in the company of the right woman…..?

He had no idea how he would do it yet, but he meant to best her. He’d show her that he was the master, and when she’d admitted his victory… well, then he’d have her. And he’d hold her, by God. His huntress.
His goddess.

Ever since the murder of his parents twenty years ago, Maximus Batten has promised himself that he would strive to be the

Melanie A. *mostly on hiatus*
5+ STARS!!
They were a universe of two.
The best of the series so far!

Wow, Duke of Midnight was a huge hit for me. There were so many great moments in this book, most of them filled to the brim with exactly my kind of angst. You know, the kind that tugs at your heartstrings but doesn't dip into woe-is-me territory.

Artemis Greaves is quite possibly my favorite heroine of all time!

She was strong, genuine, level-headed, and unpretentious. I completely adored her. And even better, she
Christina
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2013
EDIT: read, 3,5 stars.

Elizabeth Hoyt is one of my favorite romance authors...

...but really though? That uptight, self-serving a@ssh@t who tried to marry off his own sister to an (abusive) man she didn't love, for his selfish ambitious purposes, is getting a book?

I do have some reluctant faith, but his redemption better be believable.
♥ℳelody

I'm conflicted on this one.

What I loved
Artemis: Her name suits her. She of the Warrior Goddess, who brings a stuffy arrogant Duke to his knees and doesn't bend to his will or is reduced to begging. Go girl!

Phoebe: I can't tell you how much I adore this character and want all things wonderful, beautiful and good to happen to her. She's so adorably charming. I loved her genuine friendship with Artemis and this girl's whit is hysterically sharp and so on point. Please don’t lose it! 🙏

Ap
♥Sharon♥
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I enjoyed this one just a bit more than the last.

Maybe it was Maximus and his internal struggle with who he was, who he loved, his guilt.

Maybe it was Artemis and her strength, her unwavering love, her sense of humor.

Maybe it was Apollo. I wonder about him.

It doesn’t much matter what it is. Duke of Midnight was yet another wonderfully written book by Ms. Hoyt. A perfect addition to this series.

I’m looking forward to reading on.
Mei
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I loved, loved the first books of this series, and I must admit that I like every one, but the first were the best!

In this one my main complaint is that Maximus is way too convinced that he has the right to keep Artemis without comitting to her completly. I didn't like him. He was obviously in love with her, but I felt like he was more in love with his title obligations. I felt that he didn't grovel enough at the end!

On the other hand I loved Artemis and her strenght. She realizes soon in the st
Sam (AMNReader)
I'm finished, but I'm still kind of thinking about how to rate this. The heroine, she gets all the stars. And as Melody said, the nickname annoyed me. The hero...him, I don't know what to give him. He's obsessed, but with his own legacy. He's uncompromising on that. He's also upfront about that, and kind of a selfish asshole, and TBH, I kind of like myself a selfish asshole. He could be needlessly cruel, and unexpectedly demonstrative. He was definitely flawed, and I still can't tell if I love ...more
Jess
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B-

After losing both her parents and her twin brother who’s locked in a mental institution after being accused of murdering three of his friends, Artemis is forced into taking a position as her cousin’s companion, and while treated well, she’s still little more than her cousin Penelope’s servant. Her entire focus is on finding a way to save her brother. Everyone else has written him off as a lost cause, a madman who should be forgotten, but he
Lady Wesley
Absolutely five stars! Maximus Batten is Hoyt's hottest hero yet, and he meets his match, in more ways than one, in Artemis Greaves. I don't have time to write a long review, but I wouldn't know how to anyway. See my status updates for some great quotes. My only complaint -- I would have enjoyed seeing a bit more of Maximus and Artemis as a publicly recognized couple at the end. But that's just me.

And . . . Ms. Hoyt leaves us with a hell of a teaser in the epilogue. Will her next hero be Asa Mak
WhiskeyintheJar
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, series, 1700s
ρυηүα [Punya Reviews...]
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Maiden Lane, the Batman is here!
Lisa Kay

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Lovely to visit Maiden Lane again, and to have it so wonderfully narrated by Claudia Harris. She does a great job on providing different voices for all the various characters, male or female, young or old, smart of dimwitted, guilty or innocent - or somewhere in-between. I was surprised to see some of the negative reviews of this one; perhaps they needed to listen to the audio, instead?

You may remember Maximus Batten, the Duke of Wakefield, is Hero’s (N
Juliette Cross
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and brilliant. This is now my favorite of the Maiden Lane series. But I have a feeling I'm going to have several favorites by the time I finish them all.

The Duke of Wakefield is everything I hoped for in the brooding man we've seen so far. Even more. And I absolutely adore Artemis. She's my favorite kind of heroine--intelligent, compassionate, genuine, and bold.

Recommended to anyone who loves historical romance. Hoyt has quickly become my favorite HR author with her ability to interwea
Lori Foster
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maximus Batten is such a lusty Duke! One thing I love about this series is that I meet the characters in previous books, cannot imagine them as romantic heroes, and then bam - it happens and it's wonderful and believable. The author has a real talent for making you "see" emotions, which totally changes the perspective and that, in turn, changes everything else.
I'm loving this series!

Book Six of the Maiden Lane series
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication: October 15, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent from the publisher

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

WHEN A MASKED MAN . . .

Wollstonecrafthomegirl
There's much to admire here. This is the first Maiden Lane book in which the whole Ghost of St Giles thing hasn't irrationally irritated me. There's a more than slight illusion to Batman/Bruce Wayne in Maximus, the hero, but I I can forgive Hoyt for that because it still felt restrained. Even the dramatic climax wasn't too much for me, although the villain came out of nowhere and met a rather unsatisfactory end. Artemis was a triumph. Hoyt explores what it meant to be a woman caught in that plac ...more
Shawna
4 stars – Historical Romance

I’ve loved all the Maiden Lane books, but this was my least favorite of the series. Something about the romance between Maximus and Artemis fell a bit flat for me, but I enjoyed other aspects of the story. Although it’s not my favorite, Ms. Hoyt still delivered another thrilling, addictive, steamy read. I soooo hope she gives us Apollo’s story! *Begs and rubs greedy hands*
Elizabeth Hoyt Fans: Duke of Midnight (book 6) 3 11 Apr 30, 2016 07:36PM
Is this the end of the series? (spoilers) 6 61 Dec 30, 2013 08:13PM
When will she begin taunting us on her website? 1 48 Apr 03, 2013 08:15AM

• How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • What I Did for a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • Falling Into Bed with a Duke (The Hellions of Havisham, #1)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels, #1)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2)
  • Lady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)