The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > ☆ TCF Water Cooler ☆ > Read, Reading, To Read (Oct -Dec 2017)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Oct 03, 2017 11:37AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16210 comments Mod
Finished A World Apart by Mel Gough and it was a hot mess. Barely 2-stars.
I also listened to Alasdair (Masters Among Monsters, #1) by Ella Frank and it didn't really connect for me. So this is more like 2.5-3stars. Finished The Heir Apparent by Tere Michaels and it was like 3.5stars (generously given to the writer of my Matt and Evan). This story was underdeveloped and really predictable.
Finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman . It was like a bookleg Bridget Jones story. It would make an amusing movie, but I needed something more funny than quirky.
Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter, #17; Were-Hunter, #4; Hellchaser, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon was the best of the bunch. 4-stars

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Dracula by Bram Stoker
Dracula - Bram Stoker – 5*****
If you’ve seen any of the movies, you know the basic plot, but the original novel is so much more! To begin there is the typical Victorian theme of strong men coming to the rescue of pure damsel in distress. However, Stoker turns the tables a bit when he gives Mina the intelligence, foresight and courage to fight the evil forces in her own way. The novel is wonderfully atmospheric; time and again Stoker puts the reader smack dab in the middle of the scenes.
LINK to my review

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French
In the Woods - Tana French – 4****
This is a stunning debut. Gripping and suspenseful, with many twists and turns. I guessed the culprit fairly early on, but was still enthralled by the psychology of the characters – whether police, victims or perpetrator.
LINK to my review

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Oct 15 - Currently Reading

TEXT – Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller
AUDIO in the car – Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
MP3 Player AUDIO – Murder in the Paperback Parlor (Book Retreat Mysteries, #2) by Ellery Adams Murder in the Paperback Parlor Ellery Adams

message 5: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 04, 2017 04:35PM) (new)

Finished The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti and it was disappointing.
Audio: Listening to Very Bad Things (Briarcrest Academy, #1) by Ilsa Madden-Mills and it’s likelu going to be in my 2017 favorite shelf.
This is my kind of NA/YA
Next up: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman

message 7: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Nov 07, 2017 10:01PM) (new)

message 8: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

listening to Royally Endowed (Royally, #3) by Emma Chase . I skipped book 2 because my library doesn't have it available.
I also have The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3) by Rebecca Zanetti The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Nov 19 - Currently Reading

TEXT – The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1) by Lyn Hamilton The Xibalba Murders / Lyn Hamilton
AUDIO in the car – The Good Lord Bird by James McBride The Good Lord Bird / James McBride
MP3 Player AUDIO – The Lost City of the Monkey God A True Story by Douglas Preston The Lost City of the Monkey God / Douglas Preston

message 10: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Dec 11, 2017 12:05PM) (new)

READ Razr (Demonica, #11.8; Demonica Underworld, #4) by Larissa Ione Full Tilt (Full Tilt, #1) by Emma Scott READING We're Going to Need More Wine Stories by Gabrielle Union TO READ Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1) by Jessica Hawkins Very Wicked Things (Briarwood Academy, #2) by Ilsa Madden-Mills

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Dec 20 - Currently Reading

TEXT – Our House in the Last World by Oscar Hijuelos Our House in the Last World by Oscar Hijuelos
AUDIO in the car – None (while we drive my husband prefers music … so I listen just on MP3)
MP3 Player AUDIO – Catch Me if You Can by Frank W. Abagnale Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale

message 12: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Dec 20, 2017 08:37PM) (new)

Listened to: Third Son's a Charm (The Survivors, #1) by Shana Galen Full Tilt (Full Tilt, #1) by Emma Scott Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1) by Jessica Hawkins Somebody Else's Sky (Something in the Way, #2) by Jessica Hawkins Beyond the Darkness (Guardians of Eternity, #6) by Alexandra Ivy I Will A Christmas Novella by Lisa Kleypas

Listening to Blackbird (Redemption, #1) by Molly McAdams On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins

To listen to: His Mistress by Christmas (Mistress Trio, #2; Wicked Family Secrets, #1) by Victoria Alexander