Books on the Nightstand discussion

General chat > What are you reading October, 2017

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2764 comments Mod
Let's see, in the car I'm listening to Deep Undercover My Secret Life and Tangled Allegiances as a KGB Spy in America by Jack Barsky Deep Undercover: My Secret Life and Tangled Allegiances as a KGB Spy in America and on my iPad, I'm about to start listening to Hunger A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body.
Also on my iPad, I'm reading Unbelievable My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History and I have fewer than 100 pages to go in Glory and the Lightning by Taylor Caldwell Glory and the Lightning

message 2: by Patti (new)

Patti  (pattihenger) | 23 comments I am reading Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng . It's an incredible story, and I think I'm going to go back and be the last person alive to read her debut, Everything I Never Told You.

I also hope to start reading Washington A Life by Ron Chernow soon for the start of my Presidential biography reading.

Hopefully the weather will cool down after this weekend and feel more like fall. Happy reading friends:-)

message 3: by Susanne (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments I finished Eliza and Her Monsters and have started on When Dimple Met Rishi.

I think I'm in a YA contemporary romance kind of mood.

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

message 4: by Readnponder (new)

Readnponder | 125 comments Just finished "Little Fires Everywhere" and loved it. The author's simple practice of calling Elena Richardson - "Mrs. Richardson" - instead of by her first name contributed so much to the character she was creating.

message 5: by Patti (new)

Patti  (pattihenger) | 23 comments Readnponder wrote: "Just finished "Little Fires Everywhere" and loved it. The author's simple practice of calling Elena Richardson - "Mrs. Richardson" - instead of by her first name contributed so much to the characte..."

I hadn't thought twice about that! Excellent point! Made her character seem even more stoic and reserved in comparison to Mia.

message 6: by Britany (new)

Britany | 525 comments Finished My Brilliant Friend (L'amica geniale #1) by Elena Ferrante by Elena Ferrante-- 1 star.

I did not enjoy this one, the real question is-- should I give the second book a chance? Or bypass the rest of this series?

My Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Linda (new)

Finally finished Unbelievable My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History. It was an easy read, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did.

message 11: by Britany (new)

Britany | 525 comments Finished Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan by J. Courtney Sullivan-- 4.5 Stars.

Such a great book- I was highly impressed!

My Review:

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 270 comments Just finished My Life with Bob Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul ; now reading Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward (wow . . )

message 13: by Linda (new)

Listened to Black Beauty by Anna Sewell Black Beauty and now listening to Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Half of a Yellow Sun and started reading Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson Rabbit Hill. Obviously I'm going through my second (at least) childhood.

message 14: by C. John (new)

C. John Kerry (cjkerry) | 96 comments Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

message 15: by Linda (new)

C. John wrote: "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

I've always said, that I've never decided to grow up, C. John.

message 16: by Filza (new)

Filza | 1 comments hi

message 17: by Britany (new)

Britany | 525 comments Finished The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier by Tracy Chevalier -- 3 Stars.

Good, but fell a little flat for me.

My Review:

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments Just finished Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller; very well written, if a bit depressing. Has anyone else here read it? Before the Fall by Noah Hawley Before the Fall by Noah Hawley is next.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Started reading Circe by Madeline Miller Circe and I'm listening to John Adams by David McCullough John Adams

message 20: by Britany (new)

Britany | 525 comments Finished Summer Island by Kristin Hannah by Kristin Hannah-- 3 Stars.

A good way to take a break from some tougher books.

My Review:

message 23: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Now reading The Great Train Robbery. I have had this on my shelf and I decided to read something that I could be really interested in and is a entertaining read.

message 24: by Antonia (last edited Oct 27, 2017 03:22AM) (new)

Antonia (toniclark) | 70 comments I’ve been on vacation for much of October and, though I took along a well-stocked Kindle, I didn’t read a thing! Too busy touring southern Italy. :)

I’m now listening to Brian Greene’s Light Falls and slogging through Michael Dirda’s Browsings: A Year of Reading, Collecting and Living with Books (not as interesting as the title sounds). I'm also currently reading The Best American Poetry 2017. Before vacation, I read Dani Shapiro’s Devotion: A Memoir (just okay — but I’m not into spiritual quests). I’d recently read her memoir, Hourglass: Time, Memory, Marriage, which I liked a lot. I now need an engrossing novel. I see that several people are reading or have recently read, Little Fires Everywhere. I loved it, too!

message 25: by Linda (new)

Gerald wrote: "Linda wrote: "Let's see, in the car I'm listening to Deep Undercover My Secret Life and Tangled Allegiances as a KGB Spy in America by Jack Barsky [book:Deep Undercover: My Secret Life and T..."

Not yet, Gerald.

message 26: by Britany (new)

Britany | 525 comments Finished The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass by Kiera Cass-- 3.5 Stars.

My Review:

message 27: by Britany (new)

Britany | 525 comments Finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman by Gail Honeyman-- 4.5 Stars.

Wow, I couldn't put this one down... and it's a DEBUT?

My Review:

message 28: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I am currently reading The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff in anticipation of hearing her speak in early December.