Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3)
This topic is about Ash and Quill
Buddy Reads:Current and Upcoming > Caine, Rachel; Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3) - Buddy Read; Start date July 16, 2017 **REVISIT STARTS JULY 11, 2018

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25863 comments This thread is open to discuss Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine

Synopsis
The unforgettable characters from Ink and Bone and Paper and Fire unite to save the Great Library of Alexandria from itself in this electrifying adventure in the New York Times bestselling series.

Hoarding all the knowledge of the world, the Great Library jealously guards its secrets. But now a group of rebels poses a dangerous threat to its tyranny....

Jess Brightwell and his band of exiles have fled London, only to find themselves imprisoned in Philadelphia, a city led by those who would rather burn books than submit. But Jess and his friends have a bargaining chip: the knowledge to build a machine that will break the Library’s rule.

Their time is running out. To survive, they’ll have to choose to live or die as one, to take the fight to their enemies—and to save the very soul of the Great Library....

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25863 comments This is going to be a structured buddy read, we will have a reading schedule and discussion questions will be posted for each section.

Be welcome to join!

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (last edited Jul 23, 2017 09:36PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25863 comments Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

16 July 1-2 1-64 Sonia - BB-8
17 July 3-4 65-127 Angie - Rogue One
18 July 5-7 128-206 Roger - Phantom Menace
19 July ***** Break Day *****
20 July 8-9 209-272 Nikk - Phantom Menace
21 July 10-12 273-338 Kerri - Millenium Falcon

Since we have only 4 teams volunteering, reserves may or may not score a spot :)

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25863 comments Reserved

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25863 comments
Logo Design by FlamingText.com

Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in the buddy read = 20 points

NOTE: We will accept one team member per book per team for writing a days DQs. If, by three days prior to the buddy read starting, we don't have enough volunteers to write all DQs, then we will let more than one team member per team write questions. If we have more people than days sign up (prior to 3 days before start date) we will randomise the volunteers to determine those who can write

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments I am on team phantom menace and can write a day's worth of Questions.

message 7: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) | 1059 comments Rogue One. I volunteer for DQs

message 8: by Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Jul 10, 2017 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 957 comments just received my copy today and have been looking forward to this book for ages. signing up as back up DQ volunteer for Phantom Menace

message 9: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7563 comments I guess since I'm reading this I should volunteer too :)

Team BB-8!

message 10: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine (clarkepopunta) | 122 comments My copy is on the way!! But I won't officially sign up for DQs because that has not gone so well for me. :P

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments My copy will be here tomorrow! I'd like to sign up for DQs for Team Millennium Falcon :)

Angie ☯ | 510 comments Rogue One. I will volunteer for DQs.

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments I am going to be picking it up from library tomorrow!

message 14: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7563 comments Breakdown and DQ volunteers will be posted in a few hours.

message 15: by Moderators of NBRC, Madam Hooch (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 25863 comments Breakdown posted!

DQ's assigned. Let us know if the day doesn't work for you.

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Breakdown posted!

DQ's assigned. Let us know if the day doesn't work for you."

Actually would it be OK if Nikk and I changed days. I am going to be at an all day meeting and unable to post questions on the day of and will be travelling the day before to get to the meeting so not sure If I can post questions the night before either.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 957 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "Moderators of NBRC wrote: "Breakdown posted!

DQ's assigned. Let us know if the day doesn't work for you."

Actually would it be OK if Nikk and I changed days. I am going to be at an all day meetin..."

I am ok with that. It would probably work better for me anyway :-)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments Is this BR still happening?

message 19: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7563 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Is this BR still happening?"

Yep.

I just had a weird weekend so I'm running a bit late.... yesterday's questions will be up in an hour or two.

sorry :(

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments No worries, havent been able to start it yet because I had to catch up on GoT but wanted to start tomorrow!

message 21: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (last edited Jul 17, 2017 02:07AM) (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7563 comments Late as usual. But here they are :)

Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

1. If the last book ends with a cliffhanger, this one starts with a punch, don't you agree? Both the Ephemeras don't bode well for our group. And the beginning of the action? The show of burning blanks and robes? Yeah, friendship, right. Not even alliance comes to mind.

2. So, swallowing a hairpin or key is nothing new but seeing it described made me sure I'd never be able to pull it off. Yuck. But Khalila is still as surprising as ever. That little trick to defend her hijab? Amazing!!!

3. "When all the world is a lock, boy, you don’t make a key. You become a key."
This doesn't reassure me as much as it did Jess. Because hairpin against a bunch of old sturdy lock? Sometimes Golias does win.

4. Wait. Plan. Pretend to work with them. Have some bargaining chips. Gaaa! Looks like a chess play and I suck at them!! I also hate to see the way they're treated. They should be welcomed and cherished. They want to change how the Library works. Why can't the burners see that? Too deep in the fanatic thinking?

5. I'm wondering how long it would take for the word to spread that they're at the Burners' stronghold and how focus on their destruction are the archivist and company to do exactly what they have been avoiding so far? The city seems so easy to destroy. And Santi is down. I think their escaping changes just went from very low to none.

6. Thoughts about the book so far? I was expecting a roller-coaster, bust since it changed from the trilogy finale to the middle book of a series, I suspect there will be a LOT of new questions and events and no answers. What about you?

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 957 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

1. If the last book ends with a cliffhanger, this one starts with a punch, don't you agree? Both the Ephemeras don't bode well for our group. And the beginning of the action? The show of burning blanks and robes? Yeah, friendship, right. Not even alliance comes to mind.

This one definitely starts with action an in some ways it feels like the author is reminding us who the characters are again straight off the bat by having them meeting the leader of the burners. And an alliance straight up was never going to be a given as even though the group is now considered traitors to the library. They have always seen the burners as the worst of the worst so there is a lot of distrust to get past

2. So, swallowing a hairpin or key is nothing new but seeing it described made me sure I'd never be able to pull it off. Yuck. But Khalila is still as surprising as ever. That little trick to defend her hijab? Amazing!!!

Whilst i have heard about that swallowing trick before there is now way I would ever want to try it nor do i think i would be able to pull it off. Just reading about it made me want to gag. I liked that we are reminded of Khalila's intelligence. She is always thinking and good at turning events to her advantage

This doesn't reassure me as much as it did Jess. Because hairpin against a bunch of old sturdy lock? Sometimes Goliath does win.

I take it to mean you rely on your self to "unlock" the problem

4. Wait. Plan. Pretend to work with them. Have some bargaining chips. Gaaa! Looks like a chess play and I suck at them!! I also hate to see the way they're treated. They should be welcomed and cherished. They want to change how the Library works. Why can't the burners see that? Too deep in the fanatic thinking?

As I mentioned before I think there is a lot of distrust on both sides and though both are against the library. They are coming at it from two very different stand points. This means their approaches are radically radically different and it may still take time for the two groups to find some palatable middle ground

5. I'm wondering how long it would take for the word to spread that they're at the Burners' stronghold and how focus on their destruction are the archivist and company to do exactly what they have been avoiding so far? The city seems so easy to destroy. And Santi is down. I think their escaping changes just went from very low to none.

I think there is more in play here than we know. I think jess even mentions that destroying the stronghold has always been low on the list. I think as well the archivist may well be secretly hoping the burners will do his dirty work for him then he can turn the situation to make the group look like martyrs and" those terrible burners killed them"

6. Thoughts about the book so far? I was expecting a roller-coaster, bust since it changed from the trilogy finale to the middle book of a series, I suspect there will be a LOT of new questions and events and no answers. What about you?

I think it will still be a little roller coasterish. We have had our action at the beginning now we will see them working to build the trust of the burners and escape philadelphia. The question is whether they spend the whole book inPhiladelphia with the final cliff hanger ending ( because I am kind of expecting there will be some sort of cliff hanger ending) being their escape on to the next adventure or whether they will escape Philadephia relatively early have another adventure ( so to speak) we heard mention about a huge reward that even their family's would turn them in so I am expecting some betrayal by someone they trust along the line. Either way i looking forward to seeing what comes their way next :-)

Judith (brownie72011) | 2657 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

Certainly no slow start here. Which helped get me right back into the story after the year wait for this book. The enemy of my enemy is not always a friend I suppose. But I loved how the robes didn't burn well and was all anticlimactic.

Yep, I'm not sure I'm the person you'd want to be locked in a jail cell with. Because I would totally not be able to do this. Khalila gets more awesome in every book.

This doesn't reassure me as much as it did Jess. Because hairpin against a bunch of old sturdy lock? Sometimes Golias does win.

The Brightwells remind me of a pack of coyotes. Smart, sneaky, and above all quickly adapt to the reality of a situation. And there is always a hole. Sometimes a real hole, sometimes a weak person, but whatever it is, it can be exploited to get you out of whatever locked situation you are in.

I seriously think that was Jess's dad's version of a pep talk about having hope. A therapist would have a field day with the Brightwells. LOL

Going for the long game at that point seems like the best play. Although I never really won at chess either. People see what they want to see. A bit of trust needs to be earned on both sides I think.

I agree with Nikk on this answer. There is way more going on with Philly than we currently are aware of and that's not a bad play for the Archivist to just say they kidnapped all of those Scholars and killed them.

I'm excited to keep reading and to see where the series will go now that she has a couple more books to work with. Honestly there would be a lot to wrap up if this was the last book. Burners seem to be really important in this world and haven't made much of an appearance until this book aside from cursory attacks. I'm excited to see how she develops the Burner culture in contrast to the Library culture she's established in the previous books.

Angie ☯ | 510 comments July 17 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 3-4

7. Why do you think the Library allowed the Burners to keep/rule Philadelphia for so long? How does this benefit the Library?

8. The description of the doctor immediately made me think of a Native American Medicine man or Shaman; so I wasn’t surprised to learn he had Obscurist powers and was trained by the Library. What did you think about the doctor; what do you think his intentions are? Will he be a help or a hindrance to “the prisoners”?

9. Dr. Askuwheteau’s statement to Morgan – “Don’t do as much as you think you can. Power is like fire. It will turn on you in an instant, if you fail to respect it. I’ve seen it happen. And, you? If you burn, you’ll burn fast.” Do you think this was just a warning to be careful or more? Do you think it was foreshadowing of things to come?

10. Santi is in very bad shape by the description of his burn and the statements by Dr. Askuwheteau; apparently, it is quite a feat that he has survived this long. What do you think Santi’s fate will be? Will he be saved by the doctor and Morgan’s gift or do you think that the group is holding onto false hope? If he does survive, what do you see as his role going forward?

11. Jess easily spotted the mark (two parallel lines and a circle) that signified a tunnel controlled by smugglers. Dario easily spotted the entrance to the tunnel. Do you think it is a working tunnel or there as a trap? The Burners are likely looking for an excuse to call them traitors and make examples of them (according to Glain). Do you think that anyone would be exempt from being killed if they were caught in one of the traps? Why or why not?

12. The imfamous press. It has been thwarted many times by the Library in the past. What is so threatening about it, not just to the Library, but to everyone? Will Thomas and Jess actually manufacture a working press for the Burners?

13. Have you any idea what their plan is for escaping Philadelphia and how the press will help them? Do you think the press is just another distraction? Do you think everyone will make it out?

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

I do agree! I figured it would, though, after the last books ending. They are definitely going to have a tough time of it with Beck and the Burners in Pennsylvania. And reading about all those books burning (even if they were just blanks) hurt my heart :(

I seriously gagged while reading that part, lol. I couldn't do it! Smart move for Jess, though. And I love Khalila so much! I was PISSED at that guard until she put him in his place. Yanking her hijab off like that... I would have kicked some @$$, too.

Yeah, I didn't think a hairpin would actually work on those locks, but he somehow made it happen! Still not too sure how feasible that would be, but I'm gonna let it slide, lol.

The Burners want change, but they want complete and total change. They don't want to reform the Great Library... they want to destroy it. Even though the rebellion sprang from the same idea, they have a much more violent end-plan than our protagonists. I'm hoping they can at least make *some* of the Burners see reason.

Jess mentioned at some point that if the Archivist discovers they are at the Burner stronghold, they are pretty much doomed. The Great Library has been wanting to destroy Beck and his followers for awhile and with the added incentive of getting rid of Jess and his friends, I think they'll make it happen. Hopefully they find a way to get out of there before that happens!

...This isn't going to be a trilogy anymore? Man! I was hoping for a nice wrap up in this book! But I'm also kind of excited that we get to stick with this world for a little bit longer. There certainly have been some crazy stuff happening already and we're only through the second chapter, lol. I'm enjoying it, but now I do wonder if we're just going to get a bunch more questions and not enough answers for my liking. I guess we'll see!

Angie ☯ | 510 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

It starts off with a bang. I think they will have a really hard time in Philadelphia. I don't see Beck being sympathetic towards them at all; in fact I would imagine, since they didn't kill them straight away, they are hoping to use them in some way. The scene with the robes was great. I loved the way Khalila turned the tables on the Burner.

I was surprised that in this telling of swallowing the pin was not simple as pie! At least Caine wrote it more realistically!! Khalila may be quiet, but you have to watch her, she is very smart and cunning.

3. "When all the world is a lock, boy, you don’t make a key. You become a key." This doesn't reassure me as much as it did Jess. Because hairpin against a bunch of old sturdy lock? Sometimes Golias does win.
I agree with Nikk on this one. I think that that the whole idea is that you do whatever it takes to make the situation work for you.

Ultimately both groups want the same thing - change with the Library. While the rebels want to reform it and make it what they think it was meant to be, the Burners want to destroy it completely. But both groups are wanting to use the Library or lack thereof to make the world function "the right way", or their way....which is exactly what the Library is doing. I think there needs to be less dictation of what is "right" and more compromise before there is ever any real change.

I feel like the Library knew where the rebels were headed long before they arrived there. Now, having a reason to do something about it might be a different story. I think the Library expects the Burners to take care of the rebels. Their chances of escaping do look rather bleak at this point.

I was happy to see that this wouldn't be the end of the story. I didn't see how it could be wrapped up in one more story - well of course it COULD have been, but probably not in a way that was good for the rebels! I think once again we will be left wondering at the end of this book!

Judith (brownie72011) | 2657 comments July 17 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 3-4

7. Why do you think the Library allowed the Burners to keep/rule Philadelphia for so long? How does this benefit the Library?

Maybe to help contain the Burners? Know where they are etc. and also not turn the city into some symbol of martyrdom. But there could be some other reason we just aren't aware of yet.

8. The description of the doctor immediately made me think of a Native American Medicine man or Shaman; so I wasn’t surprised to learn he had Obscurist powers and was trained by the Library. What did you think about the doctor; what do you think his intentions are? Will he be a help or a hindrance to “the prisoners”?

I'm not quite sure what his game is but I think he'll end up being a help. I think he's closer to their way of thinking. Not a fan of the Library but also not completely on board with the Burners either.

9. Dr. Askuwheteau’s statement to Morgan – “Don’t do as much as you think you can. Power is like fire. It will turn on you in an instant, if you fail to respect it. I’ve seen it happen. And, you? If you burn, you’ll burn fast.” Do you think this was just a warning to be careful or more? Do you think it was foreshadowing of things to come?

I think it was a legit warning. She has a lot of untapped power and was no where near to being fully trained when she escaped from the Iron Tower. And yes, Morgan could be in trouble. She seems to be extending herself an awful lot.

10. Santi is in very bad shape by the description of his burn and the statements by Dr. Askuwheteau; apparently, it is quite a feat that he has survived this long. What do you think Santi’s fate will be? Will he be saved by the doctor and Morgan’s gift or do you think that the group is holding onto false hope? If he does survive, what do you see as his role going forward?

I think he'll be around for awhile yet. Hopefully, I really like his character. I don't think his role will change much from the mental aspects (strategy, planning, etc) but I don't see him leading the charge. I see that as Glain's position now.

11. Jess easily spotted the mark (two parallel lines and a circle) that signified a tunnel controlled by smugglers. Dario easily spotted the entrance to the tunnel. Do you think it is a working tunnel or there as a trap? The Burners are likely looking for an excuse to call them traitors and make examples of them (according to Glain). Do you think that anyone would be exempt from being killed if they were caught in one of the traps? Why or why not?

I agree with Jess that it is too obvious and the Burners are hoping they'll go for it if they are desperate enough. They won't kill Morgan because he's too useful. Not sure about Jess, it depends on how much they need smuggling help from Brightwells and if they think Jess's dad will care if they kill him. They others though? I think they'd kill them, in spite of their current usefulness with the stolen books.

12. The imfamous press. It has been thwarted many times by the Library in the past. What is so threatening about it, not just to the Library, but to everyone? Will Thomas and Jess actually manufacture a working press for the Burners?

It cedes control over information to the common people and in this particular world, control over knowledge is where true power comes from. I hope they get it working. And under those conditions, it would be downright awesome if they pull it off.

13. Have you any idea what their plan is for escaping Philadelphia and how the press will help them? Do you think the press is just another distraction? Do you think everyone will make it out?

I think it buys them time and maybe earn some trust. No idea how they'll get out or where they'll go once they do.

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments July 17 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 3-4

I think it concentrates the main power of the Burners in one, easy to find place. And perhaps they actually think they'll be able to starve them out. The Library is pretty arrogant.

I like the doctor. I think he is less about helping the Burner's cause and more about just helping people in need. He doesn't like the Library (which I don't blame him), but he's also not hell-bent on it's destruction. He just wants to take care of sick people. I think he will be a help. He already warned Jess that Beck was trying to recruit Morgan.

I think it was a little of both. He was warning her because he's seen it happen and knows the risks. And it seems like Morgan has decided to totally disregard this warning, so it may turn out to be pretty prophetic.

I honestly thought they were just going to chop his arm off. At this point, that might be better for Santi... I'm really hoping he's going to survive because A) I like him a lot and B) Wolfe will be a useless, reckless mess if anything happens to Santi. I see his role remaining basically the same if he manages to survive, though probably less physical. He still has a brilliant mind for strategy.

It's obviously a trap. Like Jess said, the entrance is too easily spotted. What kind of smuggler would want a tunnel that even Dario can find? If they tried using it and got caught, I think the only people to survive would be Morgan (because she's an Obscurist) and Thomas (because they want his press/designs). Thomas might not even survive if they try to escape after the press is built, though they may still keep him long enough to get the designs. And they might possibly keep one of the Scholars to finish translating the books, but I seriously doubt it.

The Library can't control all the information in the world if people can freely print it themselves. And the Library does so love having control. I don't think it's particularly threatening to other people, but it can definitely make them an even bigger target. With Thomas there, I think they'll end up making a working press, even with the limited supplies.

I think the press is a distraction. They are trying to find some way through the wall, be it the Ray of Apollo or Morgan tampering with the scripts the previous Obscurist left. If they can find the real smuggling tunnel, they might try and use that. Either way, I honestly don't think all of them are going to make it...

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

I have to day there is a lot going on in this new world and none of it seem to be good and conducive to working together.

I couldn't do that trick, but I am glad that Khalila has a sting or thorn to help protect herself, I am never fond of the defenseless maiden always need to be rescued. There is nothing wrong with being rescued now and than but this is a dangerous world and if everyone is distracted by having to protect someone it is a good way to die.

I like the theory but sometimes you need to come up with the practical to implement this. Maybe that is why I am not a theif, I like my problem to have a straight forward solution in real life.

4. Wait. Plan. Pretend to work with them. Have some bargaining chips. Gaaa! Looks like a chess play and I suck at them!! I also hate to see the way they're treated. They should be welcomed and cherished. They want to change how the Library works. Why can't the burners see that? Too deep in the fanatic thinking? What is with the term book lover being an insult that is one label I proudly wear. but yeah that is why I am ok at chess but not great. I prefer straight forward and not looking 12 steps ahead.

Well this is where I have faith, there wouldn't be a book as big as this is, if they all die in the first chapters. but yeah it will make the escape more challenging.

And I am so glad that they are all together and am worried about what can happen to Morgan. Hmm I think there might be some new direction, think of what a challenge being the reforming new leaders of the Great Library would be. I can Imagine there will be great intrigue.

message 30: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Jul 18, 2017 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments July 17 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 3-4

This contains them in a certain area, and there is nothing like a devastating destruction of a major center to become a rallying cry around the world.

I think that he will do what benefits him the most and as of now helping them provides the most benefits especially with a strong obscurist too strengthen his medicines. I also think that if he thinks that helping them hurts him he will turn against them.

9. Dr. Askuwheteau’s statement to Morgan – “Don’t do as much as you think you can. Power is like fire. It will turn on you in an instant, if you fail to respect it. I’ve seen it happen. And, you? If you burn, you’ll burn fast.” Do you think this was just a warning to be careful or more? Do you think it was foreshadowing of things to come? Oh this is definitely a foreshadowing of thing to come, we wouldn't have gotten that history of Gilles De Rais if it wasn't but it was alos a warning because having an obscurest burn in a city would be a disaster.

10. Santi is in very bad shape by the description of his burn and the statements by Dr. Askuwheteau; apparently, it is quite a feat that he has survived this long. What do you think Santi’s fate will be? Will he be saved by the doctor and Morgan’s gift or do you think that the group is holding onto false hope? If he does survive, what do you see as his role going forward? Oh I think he will survive and he will as always be the military strategist, I also would discount his status as a fighter I have seen many instance where a fighter with a disability is a dangerous opponent if for no other reason the nature to underestimate how much of a danger he is.

11. Jess easily spotted the mark (two parallel lines and a circle) that signified a tunnel controlled by smugglers. Dario easily spotted the entrance to the tunnel. Do you think it is a working tunnel or there as a trap? The Burners are likely looking for an excuse to call them traitors and make examples of them (according to Glain). Do you think that anyone would be exempt from being killed if they were caught in one of the traps? Why or why not? Oh this is just to obvious, I mean Jess know what to look for so seeing the mark is not too difficult to believe but Dario with no smuggling experience spotting the entrance screams trap to me. depend on when they tried the escape if it is before the press is made Thomas and maybe Morgan after maybe Morgan if she hasn't overused her powers. but yeah something that obvious would scream trap to everyone but the most innocent and nieve person.

12. The imfamous press. It has been thwarted many times by the Library in the past. What is so threatening about it, not just to the Library, but to everyone? Will Thomas and Jess actually manufacture a working press for the Burners? Oh I think they will but I trust Thomas and Jess to make it so it can only work a few times before it comes apart. What makes a press dangerous in general is that it destroys the monopoly the library has on legal information source. ad the library will make the usual argument that unfettered access to "dangerous" information will cause many catastrophies too occur.

13. Have you any idea what their plan is for escaping Philadelphia and how the press will help them? Do you think the press is just another distraction? Do you think everyone will make it out? Oh the press is a distraction, any good escape needs a distraction but I think it will be a matter of going over or through the walls somehow and not in a tunnel. I think that is in the authors interest to have every one of the gang to escape.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

Yep, we jump right into it! Luckily I just read the first 2 so it was nice that it did - no info dump or building up the world to read through.

The trick with the pin was interesting - never really thought how it was done or the intricacy of it. And Khalilia has some fire - loved it!

3. "When all the world is a lock, boy, you don’t make a key. You become a key." This doesn't reassure me as much as it did Jess. Because hairpin against a bunch of old sturdy lock? Sometimes Golias does win.

Well papa bear wasn't all that fuzzy so I took that as - Figure out a way. Even in the 1st book he only had himself to rely on when running the books because his father wouldn't help him and just expected him to get the job done. And his older brother wasn't even claimed when caught. And those locks, like everything else in Philly seems to be, had to be old so am not that surprised it worked.

I thought the same thing! Beck knows they are enemies of the Library now so they SHOULD be working together instead of being treated like the enemy. I have a feeling things are just going to keep getting worse until it seems like there's no hope then (probably at the end) something will FINALLY go their way.

My question is even if they do escape, where can they go? You have Burners where they are and High Garda on the other side of a wall. Which also seems really weird that they are located in the same city. I initially thought when at the end of book when they said they were going to the Burner stronghold, it would be a city without any library influence. No library, no High Garda, a city completely separate.

I initially thought this was the last book too but I'm enjoying it more and more as the series progresses and just hope the author can keep the momentum going for 3 books (including this one).

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments July 17 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 3-4

Probably to keep them in an area where they can be watched and monitored. Wouldn't be surprised if they have a spy or 2 as well.

I don't think he's a "Burner" per se and is more of an impartial character. He's a doctor, a healer, so that's where his mind is. Not on any politics or fighting a war or anything like that. I do think he will help them but only to a certain extent.

Yes to both. I do think he was warning her because he knows and has more experience in it than she does. And I have a bad feeling for Morgan. If this series ends with Morgan dying or going crazy or something like that, I'm going to be super pissed!!

Santi has to live, more for Wolfe and Wolfe's sanity than anyone else. He will be weakened by it and may not be able to fight as well as he did but he still has his mind.

I agree, it seems to obvious. It has to be a trap. The only ones who would be spared, I believe, are Morgan because of her Obscurist abilities and maybe Jess because of his family connections. Maybe also Thomas for the press, but that wouldn't be a long term thing.

It's threatening to the library because they want to control what information is distributed to the people. The press eliminates that control because people will be able to print whatever they like freely. Of course Thomas will get the press working because he's brilliant like that :)

Definitely a distraction but at the same time, working on it gives them the chance to not be locked up and able to move around, even if limited. No clue so far how they will escape, maybe through the wall that Morgan is weakening. But again - where can they escape to? No where is safe for them! And usually in these types of books at this point there is a casualty. Hopefully it's Dario because what does he really bring to the table? Also I don't want anyone else to die...

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 957 comments sorry for the delay. day 3 questions to be posted shortly

message 34: by Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Jul 19, 2017 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (SapphiredDragon) | 957 comments July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-6

(swapped days with Roger)

14. Glain and Jess discover someone tried to murder Wolfe and Santi under cover of the library bombing. Who do you think it might be and why?

15.the total destruction of philadephia came mere hours after Jess' and Thomas' printing press demonstration. Is it possible this is connected and there might be a spy in the philadelphia camp ? Or do you think it was Brendon who somehow organised the bombing to help cover jess and his friends' escape?

16. "Da wants you with us. Fortress. Generously agreed to give all your friends shelter" Jess is suspect of his father's motive's for wanting them to stay with him. Do think he should be? o you think he genuinely wants to help them or an ulterior motive?

17. The doctor escaped with them. Do you think he will platy a further part in the story. Or do you think this is the last we will see of him.

18. "...as a precaution against inclement weather, rations were being cut. For the present, only the ill,elderly, and very young were to be fed." Can you imagine having to live (or survive) like this? Do you think Morgan meant to kill the burners' crops or do you think it really was just an unintended consequence? Had the city not been destroyed do you think they would have starved to death instead? Either way do you think the city would have been destroyed had not the group been brought to the city?

19. "You have to be ready to win. Not just die in a blaze of glory." Do you think its possible that some of the group do not believe they can win but are just here to go out in a blaze fighting? Do you think they can win? What to do you think will happen next?

Judith (brownie72011) | 2657 comments July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-6

14. Glain and Jess discover someone tried to murder Wolfe and Santi under cover of the library bombing. Who do you think it might be and why?

I really don't know and I'm trying to figure out if it still matters since they are no longer in Philly. But it seems strange to bring up that plot point to have it go nowhere. Unless it was foreshadowing to the people wanting to kill all of them for the crop loss.

15.the total destruction of philadephia came mere hours after Jess' and Thomas' printing press demonstration. Is it possible this is connected and there might be a spy in the philadelphia camp ? Or do you think it was Brendon who somehow organised the bombing to help cover jess and his friends' escape?

Yes, I wondered that too. If the library somehow found out about the press and that's why they blew up the city. But then Jess is convinced it's his brother's doing and that logic makes sense too. So I'm not sure what the real motivation is. Maybe it's both?

16. "Da wants you with us. Fortress. Generously agreed to give all your friends shelter" Jess is suspect of his father's motive's for wanting them to stay with him. Do think he should be? o you think he genuinely wants to help them or an ulterior motive?

I think Jess should be suspect of how is father breaths. Seriously. That man does nothing without reason. And I don't think his primary reason for anything is fatherly concern. It may be part of it but I think he wants his friends under his control for some grander scheme. And as the conversation with Dario highlighted, his friends aren't nobodys. And lord knows what Papa Brightwell would do with an Obscurist under his control.

17. The doctor escaped with them. Do you think he will platy a further part in the story. Or do you think this is the last we will see of him.

I think he still has a part to play. I like him so far and am interested to see what impact he has on the group dynamic.

18. "...as a precaution against inclement weather, rations were being cut. For the present, only the ill,elderly, and very young were to be fed." Can you imagine having to live (or survive) like this? Do you think Morgan meant to kill the burners' crops or do you think it really was just an unintended consequence? Had the city not been destroyed do you think they would have starved to death instead? Either way do you think the city would have been destroyed had not the group been brought to the city?

I don't think she would of done that on purpose. Wolfe, maybe. But not Morgan. Although under though conditions, I'm not sure even Wolfe would of done that knowing the danger it would put all of them in.

Eventually the city would of gone I guess but them being there certainly made it happen much, much faster.

19. "You have to be ready to win. Not just die in a blaze of glory." Do you think its possible that some of the group do not believe they can win but are just here to go out in a blaze fighting? Do you think they can win? What to do you think will happen next?

I'm not sure they even know yet what winning means. Like what their true end goal looks like. I do think some of them would rather die fighting than have to make other, moral type sacrifices that may be required in order to win. I think they'll be successful. But I'm not sure they'll all make it in the end.

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-6

I think that Beck is behind it even if he had someone else do the dirty work of actually throwing the greek fire bomb.

15.the total destruction of philadephia came mere hours after Jess' and Thomas' printing press demonstration. Is it possible this is connected and there might be a spy in the philadelphia camp ? Or do you think it was Brendon who somehow organised the bombing to help cover jess and his friends' escape? I think it was one of those happenstance things, we know that the library knew they were in the city and I think that is why the Artifex magnus wanted Philedelphia destroyed. Brendon probably helped set the timing of the bombing.

16. "Da wants you with us. Fortress. Generously agreed to give all your friends shelter" Jess is suspect of his father's motive's for wanting them to stay with him. Do think he should be? o you think he genuinely wants to help them or an ulterior motive? I think Callum is one of those people who never does anything without having an idea of how it will profit him in some way. I do not trust him, other than that he will do what profits him the most.

17. The doctor escaped with them. Do you think he will platy a further part in the story. Or do you think this is the last we will see of him. I think he will play a further part, if as nothing other the a leader of the burners that if the group is successful they will have to negotiate with.

18. "...as a precaution against inclement weather, rations were being cut. For the present, only the ill,elderly, and very young were to be fed." Can you imagine having to live (or survive) like this? Do you think Morgan meant to kill the burners' crops or do you think it really was just an unintended consequence? Had the city not been destroyed do you think they would have starved to death instead? Either way do you think the city would have been destroyed had not the group been brought to the city? I think that Morgan really meant for good to happen but she had to draw the energy for all she was doing from somewhere, unfortunately it was the crops, but better the crops than the people. I think that the city would have been in the checkmate for a good long time but for the fugitive group.

19. "You have to be ready to win. Not just die in a blaze of glory." Do you think its possible that some of the group do not believe they can win but are just here to go out in a blaze fighting? Do you think they can win? What to do you think will happen next? I think that there are a few who think they can't win, like Dario and maybe Wolfe. I think that if any group can pull it off they can. I think we are getting close to end game stage and bold move will have to be taken.

Roger - president of NBR United - (Roger_PresidentofNBRUnited) | 220 comments Discussion Questions day 4
Chapters 8 and 9

20. Travel between location in many case have been covered with just a brief description indicating how the travelers got to the new location. Why do you think the author included the sea travel in more detail?

21. Why do you think the Artifex Magnus sent Rafa with the message to Khalila and the group? Did he really trust Rafa or was Rafa set up to be killed and be made an object lesson?

22. Nicolo Santi shot an automaton in the head and it stopped moving. Do you think he knew what he was doing or was it an act of desperation?

23. The group is now back with the Brightwell clan in England. How do you expect this to end?

24. Nicolo Santi and Wolfe are more open in their affection, before it could have been attributed to a close friendship, but now it is clearly a loving relationship. Why are they more open now? How does this new openness affect how you feel about them?

25. Callum is belittling of Jess. Why do you think he is? Does he intend it to encourage him to do better (in Callum's view) or does he truly not see the true worthiness of Jess?

message 38: by Cathy M. (last edited Jul 19, 2017 11:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-7

I think Beck was behind it - it made sense when they said that without Wolfe and Santi (the leaders) the gang would be easier to handle. And what purpose could they really serve? Beck and his people would know exactly where Wolfe and Santi are located in the prison so it had to be deliberate.

I still think there was a spy there. That's why the Archivist wanted Philly to be destroyed so quickly (the Ephemera).

His father always has an ulterior motive. Jess knows his father well and knows he's always looking for ways to profit from any situation so Jess is smart to question it.

17. The doctor escaped with them. Do you think he will play a further part in the story. Or do you think this is the last we will see of him.

I do think we'll see him again later with a significant role in the Burner movement.

I don't think she meant to kill the crops, just that her powers got out of hand and it was an unfortunate consequence of it. Without crops the people would not have survived.

I don't think the city would have been demolished if it wasn't for the group being transported there. They had to be the most emotional scenes for me - a lot of those people were innocent and they were unjustly killed. A whole city wiped out. So sad.

By the end of the series they will win. But we still have this book, the 4th, and probably most of the 5th to get through! I think everyone believes in the cause, they believe what they are fighting for. Not sure if all of them believe they can actually do it, and I'm sure there will be more times when their belief falters, but in the end they will succeed. And I'm calling it now (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this) - Khalila will be their next Archivist in the end.

Judith (brownie72011) | 2657 comments Discussion Questions day 4
Chapters 8 and 9

20. Travel between location in many case have been covered with just a brief description indicating how the travelers got to the new location. Why do you think the author included the sea travel in more detail?

Because it was an important part of Morgan's healing I suppose.

21. Why do you think the Artifex Magnus sent Rafa with the message to Khalila and the group? Did he really trust Rafa or was Rafa set up to be killed and be made an object lesson?

I think he was expendable and a relative of hers so Khalila and the group would take the information seriously and know it wasn't an empty threat. And killing him with the rest of the group probably served a dual purpose for Artifex Magnus. It sounded the Rafa had previously been up to no good and so he was perfect for this mission.

22. Nicolo Santi shot an automaton in the head and it stopped moving. Do you think he knew what he was doing or was it an act of desperation?

I think it was both. He was about to die but they'd also fought automaton before.

23. The group is now back with the Brightwell clan in England. How do you expect this to end?

Not well. Double crossing family style. How exactly I don't know, but I'm sure it will be interesting.

24. Nicolo Santi and Wolfe are more open in their affection, before it could have been attributed to a close friendship, but now it is clearly a loving relationship. Why are they more open now? How does this new openness affect how you feel about them?

It doesn't affect my thoughts on them at all. It's be pretty clear from the first book they were a couple and seriously devoted to one another. I just think after everything that's happened they've let propriety slip some.

25. Callum is belittling of Jess. Why do you think he is? Does he intend it to encourage him to do better (in Callum's view) or does he truly not see the true worthiness of Jess?

Oh, I don't think his father is under any illusion of Jess's worthiness. Honestly I think Callum is wary or even a bit afraid of what Jess is capable of. So he belittles him to push him a bit sure but also to remind him who's the boss. Brandon is predictable and a younger version of Callum in many regards. But Jess is an altogether different creature. And never quite fit into the Brightwell mold even before joining the Library. It makes him harder for Callum to predict and therefore manage to his own ends.

message 40: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) | 1059 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

Yes it did. I agree with not having an alliance. They just need to appear cooperative until they can get out of Philadelphia.
I really love Khalila. It’s a shame more damage wasn’t done. I really do not like the guards.

I think it was reassuring for Jess, granted he has the skills to pick the locks. The older the locks the less complicated they would and easier to pick.
I completely agree. I don’t blame them for being cautious. Philadelphia has been walled off for 100 years. Do they have any reason to believe what Thomas can do without seeing it? I don’t blame them for not wanting to have hope. I do not like the way they treat the scholars and hope things change.
I don’t know. I think right now they just want to survive and have to prioritize what they are going to do. I think Thomas building his machine is the best thing they could do right now until they have a plan formulated. Maybe Jess will be able to get in touch with some smugglers to help them.
I love it. I have to say it’s hard stopping to answer questions as I am listening to it. I didn’t realize this was only supposed to be a trilogy that has become a larger series. More things will definitely come to light that will cause more questions. Even though I doubt it, I REALLY hope this book doesn’t have a huge cliffhanger since it will probably be at least a year for the next one. Wishful thinking?
July 17 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 3-4

I think the Library has larger concerns and containment is a cheaper option for them right now. I guess it’s kind of like Escape for New York. You just make the city a prison. Basically you are containing the problem and letting them govern themselves and at times firebombing the city to help the destruction along.
I think ultimately he will give care to the prisoners. I really hope he will be able to help Morgan with her training to help heal.
I think he was trying to help Morgan with a warning. Santi was hurt badly and she needed to know that everyone has limitations. I really hope it isn’t a foreshadowing of things she will do, but with the prior books, she will probably run herself into the ground.
He will survive and continue to protect Wolfe.
It’s not a smugglers tunnel. I would think only other smugglers would be able to spot and may even have a difficult time unless you know what you are looking for. I think Morgan and Thomas have the most value. Everyone else would just have to hope they can escape otherwise I believe they will be killed.
12. The infamous press. It has been thwarted many times by the Library in the past. What is so threatening about it, not just to the Library, but to everyone? Will Thomas and Jess actually manufacture a working press for the Burners?
Knowledge is power. Controlling the knowledge enables the Library and the Archivist to have so much power. Yes. Thomas is extremely talented. It is just a matter if he wants it to work for them.
Hopefully the printing press will distract everyone so they can escape. I want them to and hope so.
July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-6

I think it was Beck. Wolfe and Santi are too dangerous to keep alive.
15. The total destruction of Philadelphia came mere hours after Jess' and Thomas' printing press demonstration. Is it possible this is connected and there might be a spy in the Philadelphia camp? Or do you think it was Brendon who somehow organized the bombing to help cover jess and his friends' escape?
I think it had to be a spy. Before the printing press, I don’t think the Archivist gave Philadelphia much thought.
16. "Da wants you with us. Fortress. Generously agreed to give all your friends shelter" Jess is suspect of his father's motive's for wanting them to stay with him. Do think he should be? Or you think he genuinely wants to help them or an ulterior motive?
Of course. His father has always had his own agenda. It’s just a matter of figuring it out.
17. The doctor escaped with them. Do you think he will play a further part in the story. Or do you think this is the last we will see of him.
I think he will be able to help Morgan with her powers and her limitations.
18. "...as a precaution against inclement weather, rations were being cut. For the present, only the ill, elderly, and very young were to be fed." Can you imagine having to live (or survive) like this? Do you think Morgan meant to kill the burners' crops or do you think it really was just an unintended consequence? Had the city not been destroyed do you think they would have starved to death instead? Either way do you think the city would have been destroyed had not the group been brought to the city?
No she wouldn’t deliberately hurt innocent people and burning crops would do that. No I think Beck would have found a way for the Burners to survive. If he didn’t consider you important you would starve.
19. "You have to be ready to win. Not just die in a blaze of glory." Do you think it’s possible that some of the group do not believe they can win but are just here to go out in a blaze fighting? Do you think they can win? What to do you think will happen next?
I don’t know. If you think you are just going to die then you will. I think jess is the only who truly understands what is being asked of him. The others will soon learn if they can do what is necessary.
Discussion Questions day 4
Chapters 8 and 9

I think it was to get a better view of have smugglers and merchants have to do their business. When you have a large cargo that goes across the water, ships are really the only practical means to take them.
I think he was a lesson of what happens to your family when you go against the Archivist.
He has seen a few things in his day, so I believe he knew what he was doing.
Not well. The only thing Jess can trust is his father looking out for his own interests.
I think after Santi gets severely injured and looking at their own mortality made them realize what is truly important. You see a vulnerability in them that they have not shown before.
I don’t think Callum thinks too well of Jess. For one, Jess values books for what they are not the profit you can get from it. I don’t think Callum sees what Jess is truly able to do. I really hope he surprises him and takes his father down a notch or two.

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-7

I definitely think it was Beck. Beck is trying to dwindle the numbers of the prisoners and he's trying to gain the upperhand. I think, by killing Wolfe and Santi, he thinks that the others will lose any fight they had in them.

15. The total destruction of Philadelphia came mere hours after Jess' and Thomas' printing press demonstration. Is it possible this is connected and there might be a spy in the Philadelphia camp ? Or do you think it was Brendon who somehow organised the bombing to help cover Jess and his friends' escape?

It seems like it's something that Brendan pulled off somehow. Maybe he leaked that Jess and the others were there? I always thought the Library would destroy the city if they found out that they were. Two birds with one stone and all that.

16. "Da wants you with us. Fortress. Generously agreed to give all your friends shelter" Jess is suspect of his father's motive's for wanting them to stay with him. Do think he should be? Do you think he genuinely wants to help them or an ulterior motive?

Yes! Callum Brightwell doesn't do anything without having an ulterior motive. I'm not sure what it might be, but I don't think it's a good idea to trust him. He's already shown that he can't be trusted, after all.

17. The doctor escaped with them. Do you think he will play a further part in the story? Or do you think this is the last we will see of him?

I'm kind of hoping he will play a further role in the story. I like the doctor and they could use a medic while they are on the run. I'm sure there are plenty more injuries in their near future. Of course, he probably won't want to leave the other people who escaped from the city. Either way, I like his character.

I don't think Morgan intentionally ruined the crops. There's no way she would knowingly condemn all the people there to starve to death. She's not cruel like that. With no crops, there's no way they could have survived. Smugglers can only sneak in so much and it wouldn't have ended well. I don't think the city would have been destroyed so soon if the group hadn't been there, but I think it would have eventually been destroyed by the Great Library.

I think there might be a few *coughDARIOcough* that think they have no chance of winning. I think they have a very hard fight ahead of them, but I think they have a chance if they are smart about their next moves. I can see why this series is being extended... there's no way that you could fit in the fight they are going to have to engage in into three books! I'm thinking the group is going to go into hiding, for now, so that they can plan their next move.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments Discussion Questions day 4
Chapters 8 and 9

I don't think it touched on it all that much, like we didn't have a lot of scenes at sea, but I think it was important for Morgan and actually gave the crew a chance to rest before the upcoming scenes.

He was her family so she'd hear him out, and to kill him in front of them, he was proving that he would follow through.

He knew to shoot it in the head but the situation was quite dire so I think desperation also played a part.

Not well. Callum is not an honorable man.

It didn't affect me, they are still the same characters I (somewhat) liked before. Think after all the crap that has been thrown at them, and not being in formal situations, they have relaxed a little with their affections.

I hate him more and more because of that. He's an asshole through and through with no discernible good qualities. I want to say that he thought of Jess as being more soft, not as ruthless as he preferred (but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly from the 1st book). But I don't think he sees who Jess really is or how smart and brilliant he could be.

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments Discussion Questions day 4
Chapters 8 and 9

It wasn't necessarily more detailed, though I suppose she dwelled on it a bit more. I think it was mostly because there was a bit of plotting done along the way that the author wanted us to see. And sea travel is a lot more fun to describe than just walking/driving somewhere, in my opinion :)

Oh, Rafa was definitely just a means to an end. He was there to distract the group long enough for the pride of automaton lionesses to kill them all. The Library doesn't even care about the people who are loyal to them, at this point. They just want the group of rebels dead.

Thomas told the group that there was a vital bundle of cables located in the forehead, but he said the shot would have to be pretty precise. Santi took that information and his skills and used it to the best advantage.

Things are going to get ugly. From what Brendan is implying, Callum plans to sell them all to the highest bidder. They need to start planning an escape and soon. Though Jess and Dario seem to be cooking something up...

Since the end of the first book, I've always seen their relationship as a loving one. I think they are more open in the moment because they are (relatively) safe for the moment and they've just been through a pretty harrowing experience. I know I'd hold my husband a little closer after living through something like that and I wouldn't be thinking about being discreet. I feel the exact same way about them as I did before this scene. I enjoy them both.

Callum is a bastard who only cares about himself. He sees other people as objects to obtain what he wants and he doesn't care if they are family or not. The only reason he protects his family so much is because he sees any attack on them as an attack on himself. I dislike Callum immensely....

message 44: by Kerri (last edited Jul 21, 2017 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kerri (geni91782) | 726 comments Discussion Questions Day 5
Chapters 10-12

26. Morgan seems to be recovering well, but her power is now peppered with something dark. Do you think it will lessen, as she says it will, or do you think it will only get worse? Do you think those new, darker currents are what allow her to kill things with such ease now?

27. Do you think it was smart of Thomas and Wolfe to build a fully functioning press for Callum? What about the ray guns (for lack of a better term, haha) that Thomas has built? If they are captured and Callum gets his hands on them, that can't be anything but bad.

28. It turns out that Callum is planning to sell Jess' friends off to Red Ibrahaim and the Archivist. I thought he would be trying to get money out of them somehow, but I didn't think he would work with the Archivist. Were you surprised by Callum's plans for our group of rebels?

29. Jess and Brendan switch places and, for better or worse, Jess lets his friends get captured. What do you think he's planning to do now that he is impersonating Brendan? Do you think it will work?

30. Well, we definitely ended on a cliffhanger! What do you think is in store for the next installment of The Great Library series? Do you think that our group will survive until the end?

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11984 comments Questions and Comments - Ch 1 & 2

No, this was a pretty depressing start. They are "free", but possibly in just as much danger

I don't tknow how anyone can do that. It takes a lot of practice I suppose to stop your gag reflex. I like Khalia more and more in this book

I think the burners want the library destroyed, whereas our group just want the Archivist destoryed. So they do have different goals

I wondered about this too. The burners are taking a HUGE risk having them there. Maybe they dont realise how big

Seriously? I didn't realise - I thought this was the end!!! Urgh. That changes my reading of this then as I was expecting a finale

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 3891 comments Discussion Questions Day 5
Chapters 10-12

26. Morgan seems to be recovering well, but her power is now peppered with something dark. Do you think it will lessen, as she says it will, or do you think it will only get worse? Do you think those new, darker currents are what allow her to kill things with such ease now?

She may be better at hiding it but I don't think it will go away completely. I think it will get worse the more she uses it (like it's darkening her soul), and I think she will continue to "test" it so that doesn't bode well.

27. Do you think it was smart of Thomas and Wolfe to build a fully functioning press for Callum? What about the ray guns (for lack of a better term, haha) that Thomas has built? If they are captured and Callum gets his hands on them, that can't be anything but bad.

I'm conflicted - I do think it was good in that it bought them time and a way to barter with Callum for a safe place and a way to get to Alexandria, but Callum won't really use the machine for good but another way for him to make more money (greed/power). I just really hope they hid the ray guns well enough that Callum's crew doesn't find them!

28. It turns out that Callum is planning to sell Jess' friends off to Red Ibrahaim and the Archivist. I thought he would be trying to get money out of them somehow, but I didn't think he would work with the Archivist. Were you surprised by Callum's plans for our group of rebels?

I didn't think it would be that bad (what Callum was planning) so this part of the story killed me. Didn't think it would be so severe! And worse was that Jess went along with it.

29. Jess and Brendan switch places and, for better or worse, Jess lets his friends get captured. What do you think he's planning to do now that he is impersonating Brendan? Do you think it will work?

I think this was the only way he saw that they could all get back to Alexandria, especially with it being closed off and a bounty on their heads. Not sure how Dario or Glain will, and don't know how they will all get back together again, but it will happen. Since there are 2 more books instead of 1, I think everything that can go wrong will. I'm a little apprehensive now thinking more about it because I want a happy ending!

30. Well, we definitely ended on a cliffhanger! What do you think is in store for the next installment of The Great Library series? Do you think that our group will survive until the end?

See above. I think there will be casualties (which I don't really want to think too hard on) but do believe they will accomplish what they set out to in the end.

Judith (brownie72011) | 2657 comments Discussion Questions Day 5
Chapters 10-12

I'm not sure it will lessen but I can see the effects morphing into something else that impacts her mentally than physically. And yes, I think those darker currents make it easier to kill. Like the first is always the hardest and then it gets easier after that.

I'm not sure they had a choice. He's too shrewd and with top of the line parts, planning a failure again wasn't really an option. Those ray guns are awesome. I want one, I'm wondering now what's become of them.

I was a bit surprised. But not completely, I'm more surprised that was his plan for all of them instead of just some of them. At this point I'm trying to figure out Jess's end game. There is a lot of his plan I don't understand yet.

I certainly hope it will work!! I'm really not sure what his plan is. Except it was probably the only way to get away from his father and back to Alexandria.

I think some of them will survive and be successful. But I do not think all of them will make it to the end.

Bethany 1. If the last book ends with a cliffhanger, this one starts with a punch, don't you agree? Both the Ephemeras don't bode well for our group. And the beginning of the action? The show of burning blanks and robes? Yeah, friendship, right. Not even alliance comes to mind.

It seems like there's one or two burners trying to pretend to be nice, but there's not enough control over the burners in general to make sure everyone plays nice.

Ugh, yeah, reading the hairpin thing made me gag. I love Khalila as a character. I was SO angry for her when this scene was happening!

Yeah, I didn't find it particularly helpful or encouraging either.

Yeah, they aren't treated well, but they are also seen as the enemy for being a part of the Library and being loyal to the Library in theory despite it's flaws. I guess it would be like if I was trying to convince someone not to be a Nazi and they told me "oh well yeah I'm against the way being a Nazi is typically done but we could make it better." Like... or, you could just not be a Nazi...

I'm still pretty convinced that they will eventually escape the city, possibly at the very end of the book though. I'm predicting an unexpected ally comes about or someone manages to convince the burners that they have come around to their side.

I really, *really* hope that there are some answers! I love suspense but I need my curiosity satisfied once in a while.

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficianado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 11984 comments July 18 – Discussion Questions
Chapters 5-6

No idea and I hadn't thought about it again until I read this question! I just thought it was some burner organised by Beck

I thought it was Brendan

His father never just wants to help. This is some kind of trap

I hope so, I find him interesting

The city was only just teetering on survival so I don't think it was ever a safe haven. I don't think it was intentional of Morgan. It is something about overusing her powers

I don't know. I'm actually a bit bored :o
I'm pushing myself through reading this, but to be honest, Jess is just really annoying me (a little bit too macho) and I'm finding some of the text repetitive. It doesn't really feel like the book is moving despite being about 60% in. I'm pretty disappointed with my lack of care for what is going to happen next :(

Bethany 7. Why do you think the Library allowed the Burners to keep/rule Philadelphia for so long? How does this benefit the Library?

I suppose it's better to have many of the burners concentrated in a specific area. There may be spies on the inside and it's easier to monitor them and eventually have a focused attack.

I think he will be a help to them. That he was trained by the library might mean he has more compassion for the point of view of loving the theory of the library but not the practice.

I definitely think it was foreshadowing.

I don't really get Santi's role very much. I feel like he might do something stupid like sacrifice himself, because he's already damaged anyway or something.

I don't think it's a fully working tunnel. That would be too easy!

12. The infamous press. It has been thwarted many times by the Library in the past. What is so threatening about it, not just to the Library, but to everyone? Will Thomas and Jess actually manufacture a working press for the Burners?

Once printed pages start making their way into the world and people are aware that making them is possible, people will figure out how to do it. Once something like this exists no one group can control its power or influence. I'm past this point, but I did assume they were making a working press for the Burners.

I had no idea at this point!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ash and Quill (other topics)
Smoke and Iron (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Caine (other topics)