Start by marking “Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3)” as Want to Read:
Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3)

Ash and Quill

(The Great Library #3)

Words can kill.

Hoarding all the knowledge of the world, the Great Library jealously guards its secrets. But now a group of rebels poses a dangerous threat to its tyranny…

Jess Brightwell and his band of exiles have fled London, only to find themselves imprisoned in Philadelphia, a city led by those who would rather burn books than submit. But Jess and his friends have a b
Published July 11th 2017 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Ash and Quill, please sign up.
Staci I would read the first two before reading this one. They build upon each other and you really need to know certain things before this book begins.

Start your review of Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3)
C.G. Drews
I'M SO DEAD WITH APPRECIATION RIGHT NOW. THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET. I've just levelled up to Rabid Fan Of This Series Forever™ so please and thank you I'm just going to sit here nursing my pain and the intense wounds I've received from that brutal cliffhanger. They've just taken everything to a whole new level of mind-games-and-plot-twists and just ahhhh AHHH AAAAAAAAAAAH. I'm impressed and in love.

I have to admit the plot shone in this one! I'm still so freaking pleased there's no sequel blues a
Mohammed Arabey
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, i was pissed of changing it from a Trilogy to 5 books series, like an End of the beautiful Trilogy Era… now 5 is apparently the new 3.
But this part was much better..

From the Rebels in America, to the smugglers in England...and finally back again to Alexandria in a magnificent turn of events.
A big Game of Chess to take down a Tyranny ruling the whole world.. Holding the real Power ; Knowledge… Turning repels to Ashes…
And the friends fighting their way to live, fighting to free the Knowledge
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
DNF. I'm not sure what did it : the constant repetitions of stuff I've known for more then 2 books now, or the incessant blabbering of characters who keep telling me things rather than showing me, but I'm calling it quits. While Rachel Caine's writing stays quite compelling, it's lacking emotion and I have to accept that I'll never care about any of these characters... Everything is so utterly neat. Bummer.
may ➹
First of all: THERE IS A HIJABI CHARACTER IN THIS YA FANTASY SERIES, and if you didn’t hit the want-to-read button immediately after hearing that, then you hit the need-to-read button.

Second of all: Ash and Quill is the third book of an EXTREMELY UNDERRATED fantasy series. I love it SO MUCH, and it literally is one of the most casually diverse books I’ve ever read??? What are you doing. Please go read it.

The characters in this book are so amazing and basically my favorite part. There’s a whole b
Phrynne
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
For me this was the best book in the series so far. It was action packed, well paced and always interesting. Also a very speedy read because I never felt the need to put it down.
At last I am beginning to be interested in the characters as well which makes all the difference to my feelings about the book. Jess and Morgan's relationship is developing, Brendan and Darius are a little less annoying and Thomas is becoming quite remarkable. Some of the dialogue is pretty funny too.
The book finishes w
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
How in the world did I not know this WASN'T a trilogy? Gah!
This was so good. Full review to come closer to release date.

*Edited to add review*
This series continues to blow me away and cause me to read late into the night. Every time I start it I just know that I am in for something different and so well written that the hours reading it will just fly by and yet, by the end, it is never enough. I am always left wanting more and wondering how in the world Caine does it.

How did she come up with thi
Alyssa

Book Three of the Great Library series
Publisher: Berkley
Publication Date: July 11, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

The unforgettable characters from Ink and Bone and Paper and Fire unite to save the Great Library of Alexandria from itself in this electrifying adventure in the New York Times bestselling series.

Hoarding all the knowledge of the world, the Great Library jealously
Carrie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Ash and Quill is the third book of the Great Library series by Rachel Caine. In the first book, Ink and Bone, we are introduced to a world in which The Great Library is in every city and controls the books of the world. Using alchemy to distribute the books those working for the library track down anyone with any in their possession and confiscate the materials. Ownership of books is expressly forbidden and anyone violating this law could even be sentenced to death.

Jess Brightwell's family has
Wanda
Rachel Caine has certainly got my number with this series. Book three is right up there with book one, making me long for the next book. The Library of Alexandria is still dark, controlling, and overbearing. Our cast of characters is still fleeing their clutches, but wishing that they could change the Library, take it back to what it was supposed to be—a beacon for humanity.

Jess Brightwell comes into his own in this installment. Dario pushes him to think about what he wants to change and to be r
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 When all the world is a lock, boy, you don’t make a key. You become a key. Stars

Paper and Fire suffered a little form middle book syndrome but Ash and Quill was better and a step in the right direction.

We start off in a Burner home base and while I was hoping that maybe there were some fanatics out there burning them selves to death and the core of the group would be more solid I was not disappointed by the expansion of the world to include the Burner city home base in Philadelphia.

It was
Maria V. Snyder
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! Love, love, love it!! I really enjoyed Rachel Caine's Morganville vampire series, but this has become my favorite of hers. If you're going to start this series - make sure you have ALL the books. Book 2 and now Book 3 end at crisis points and it's impossible not to pick up the next book. Having said that....I do have to re-read my own book for an upcoming in depth book discussion. Once that's done, then I'll be onto Smoke and Iron.
Suzanne
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series has been a whirlwind. To be honest when I read book one, my response was that it was only alright. I read book two on a whim because I wasn't even sure I was going to continue the series and I am so glad I did because as the series continues the story just keeps getting better and better! This series left with a good cliffhanger for book four so now it is just playing the waiting game. UGH.

If you read book one and don't warm up to the characters do not worry because you will in book
Carlos
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the folks at Netgalley who gave me an ARC of this book, (I just now found time to finally read it ) Wow this was a trip. I have really enjoyed the evolution of all the characters in this series , it has been very satisfying but then again that's what happens when people experience and survive fighting for their life . I'm also glad that this was not the end of the series , we are getting more books ...and the way this one ended, I am certain the next one will be filled with action as o ...more
Helena of Eretz ✰

“No one with a book is ever alone, even in the darkest moments.”

What. The. Actual. Hell. Just. Happened?!!! Ugh! Rachel Caine and her blasted cliffhangers! In every bloody book! That brutal ending just DESTROYED me!!! And somehow each instalment is better than the last?!!! HOW??? What is this sorcery???! Every single one of these books are addicting, and thus far, I’ve read each instalment in one sitting like a crazy person!!!

First of all, this series has the BEST cast of characters. With each
Justine
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

This book is probably the best, but also the darkest, of the series so far. The characters have really come into themselves, particularly Jess, who continues to mature, and the always amazing Thomas. Santi and Wolfe are as heart wrenching as ever together.

Basically these books are a love letter about freedom of speech and knowledge, a love of books and free access to them, in the form of an action story. They aren't "message" books per se, but they certainly hit home for anyone who be
 Amelia
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This is one of those rare series where every book is equally awesome *u* There are no filler books, no weaker plot or lack of character development. I can't say much without spoiling the rest of the series so I'm just gonna keep this short: it surprised me again, lots of plot twists, couple of sadder scenes, plenty of action and thAT CLIFF HANGER UGHHH

If any of my precious babies gets hurt idk what I'll do ;_;

P.S. honestly, the only part that I don't fully love about this whole series is the r
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, war, blood, graphic(ish) description of injuries, death, fire, serious injury to a friend.

18/10/2019
Reread in preparation for book 5. It's still absolutely wonderful. Also Wolfe and Santi are precious beans and must be protected at all costs okay bye.

21/8/2018
Everything I said last time stands. This is fantastic from start to finish. I'm gonna go read book 4 now okay bye. The end.

21/7/2017
There are honestly no words for how much I adore this series. The concept is
Caylynn
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reread review: My god. I HAD to bump this one up to 5/5 stars after rereading it. Jess's brilliant acting and the decisions he, Dario, Morgan, and Brendan made at the end of the novel were just way too fucking good after reading the book a second time. Even though I still agree with my original review in regards to the length of time spent in Philadelphia, I can appreciate it more now for what it was, and the PTSD each of our main characters faces after escaping the Burner city were so well writ ...more
Ashley Daviau
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well hot damn, consider me floored! This book is just a damn masterpiece. I thought the first two books were good but this one is just on a whole other level of greatness. Caine really hits her stride in this one, the writing is just stunning and the plot is so intricate and woven together just perfectly. And it gets dark and brutal in this book and I was ALL for it, it added real ness and grittiness to the story and it was PERFECT. A lot happens in this book and it all left my jaw dropping, it ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ash and Quill (The Great Library #3) by Rachel Caine is officially one of the best books I've had the pleasure of reading this year. I don't know how the author does it but this series just keeps getting better. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but each book outdoes itself. I think I need more stars to show just how much I appreciate this series. I have no idea why I put it off for as long as I did, but I expect it must be nerves at what is surely coming for this wonderful cast of characters. I ...more
Yodamom
Feb 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: killing-my-tbr
Started on 8/2017 dropping till more books are published
Andy
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I seriously love this whole series so much!! Sometimes the plot is slow and the chapters are super long, but I love these characters and what they're trying to accomplish. I love what Caine has done with reimagining the Great Library of Alexandria. Honestly what the Library has become is terrifying, but I can see how their original mission was twisted into this convoluted truth.

I enjoyed seeing the inside of the Burner movement. It really drove home the point that Burners are humans too. They a
Alaina
THESE DAMN ENDINGS - UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Ash and Quill was a delight to read. Just ignore the first sentence of my review up top, because it really was a great book. Still don't know why it took me so long to dive into this series and I'm just hoping that I am never disappointed with it. Only two books left - so who knows!

I don't even know where to go with this damn review. Loved all of the characters and it amazes me how they grow so much within each book. No idea what Rachel C
Steven
HOLY CRAP. Thank goodness I have an ARC of book four to pick right up or I'd be SO left in a book slump. What an ending, Rachel Caine!

Can't wait to see how this all plays out!
Ronda
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So Ms Caine does it again and presents us with another exciting episode in The Great Library series. Again we see our favourite characters coming together under extreme circumstances to fight off their imprisonment and work towards the greater good - or to fend off the evil of The Library!

I love how the characters have become more with each book, both Jess and Thomas are my favourites, although I do love the others. Wolfe and Santi have both grown on me over the books but they are all a par
Kevin
4 1/2 stars
Oh man, I thought (view spoiler)
Shelley
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*My Thoughts*

Ash and Quill is the third installment in author Rachel Caine's The Great Library series. Ash and Quill picks up immediately where Paper and Fire left off. As a sort of summary for the series thus far, The Great Library of Alexandria exists in this alternative reality. But, that isn't necessarily a good thing. The Library claims it exists to "contain the knowledge of the world in the name of the greater good." But, possession
Atlas
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
* * * *
4 / 5

~review to come~

Loved it! What a cracker of an ending :)))
Cindy ✩☽♔
Nov 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
I have not even read the first book yet, but my goodness I just have to say this entire series has the most beautiful covers ever. I fall in love each time I see them. And you know what else it has? Consistency! Each cover is absolutely gorgeous, while still retaining a semblance of similarity. Thank you Berkley Publishing for doing series covers correctly!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/08/21/...

To be clear, I still love this series, but I’d be lying if I said my enthusiasm for it hasn’t cooled somewhat. As enjoyable as these last two installments were, I’m just not seeing the same caliber of storytelling that we got in the first book. How much of this is due to the fact The Great Library recently became a three-book series to a five-book one, I don’t know, but I suspect that not-insignificant change may have pl

• The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Mortal Word (The Invisible Library, #5)
  • The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2)
  • The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library, #4)
  • The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)
  • The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Blood Tree
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • Of Things Unknown
  • The Princess Beard (The Tales of Pell, #3)
  • Take Me With You
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf

The Great Library (5 books)
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library, #1)
  • Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2)
  • Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
  • Sword and Pen (The Great Library, #5)