Who's Your Author? discussion

Urban Fantasy Writers > Kim Harrison

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 03, 2009 11:33AM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Looks like The Hollows is going graphic novel. Any thoughts?

From her website:
"Ta-da! (big silly grin) It’s been a rough month, but I finally feel comfortable singing the news from the rooftops. Contracts are signed, and I actually have the first story written at what would be my “dialog” stage if I was making this a normal novella. The Hollows is going graphic! Whooo-hoo!

I want to try to do the scrip myself to preserve as much of the original feel as I can, (not to mention the new media is facinating), so I’ve been studying graphic novels the past month to try to get a feel for how comic books are put together. There is a pattern, just like everything else, and putting it all together is kind of daunting. But I love it. There is a huge freedom in this media that you can’t get in traditional prose. It will be the first time that I can write with an omnipresent point of view, which means I can show things that the main character doesn’t see. I’m having a blast with it. Totally.

Best part? I’ve discussed it with my editor, and we are going to tackle this from Ivy’s point of view. I swear, the woman scares me, but it’s been a couple of years since the novella in DATES FROM HELL, and I think I’m ready to try it again.

Um, and Kisten is still alive. (grin)

I’ve no idea when this is going to come out, but Del Rey wants the script like now, so it’s moving. And I’m so-o-o-o excited.

–Kim"

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 199 comments I think it might be ok, but I have my doubts after seeing how lousy the graphic novel forms of Jim Butcher's Harry Dreseden and Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake were compared to the original novels.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I sort of liked the Dresden/Welcome to the Jungle endeavor. Anita Blake is rather so-so, but I keep reading it anyway.

The Hollows series could make an interesting story, but my fear is making it from Ivy's perspective. She's probably the most prickly character in the series, and one I'm not overly fond of. Wonder how that will work? On the other hand, Kistin is alive (Yay).

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Didn't care for the Dresden or Anita Blake graphic novels. Some of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer ones have been really good, tho. I don't like the Rachel Morgan books. Maybe I'd like them more as graphics.

message 5: by Kneosha (new)

Kneosha | 4 comments I think its awesome its going to be in Ivy's POV. She is one my favorites and I'd like to see more of what she was going through the year before Rachel quit the IS

message 6: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) "I don't like the Rachel Morgan books"

lol same :P

message 7: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just cleaning out the "New Releases" folder and thought that I'd put the link for the discussions of one of her books. I'm moving the discussion to the archived folder. Warning, this discussion probably contain spoilers!

White Witch, Black Curse - Spoilers

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments I've just spotted this in another group - 8 CHAPTERS OF Black Magic Sanction:

RIGHT HERE!

I'm reading it now!

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Wow, that's a lot of chapters to be available online! I wonder if it's legit.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments It's on the publisher's website so I'm guessing it is. Also available are the first 6 chapters of The Summoning from the same publisher. They must be feeling generous!

message 11: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Or they want you so HOOKED that you are panting for the book when it comes out!

I avoid all the book teasers and first chapters, or at least I try. Talk about cliff hangers!!!

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 199 comments Does anybody know for sure when Black Magic Sanction is coming out? Amazon says Feb. 23 but I've seen other places say not until March 1st.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Starling wrote: "Or they want you so HOOKED that you are panting for the book when it comes out!

I avoid all the book teasers and first chapters, or at least I try. Talk about cliff hangers!!!"

I read it and in this case it wasn't much of a cliffhanger. I could take it or leave it. You could read what they've given you for free here as a short story with a happy ending. But I'm still going to buy the book! :)

message 14: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Okay, so what are your guys ideas on how the series will end? Who do you think she'll end up with?

message 15: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Kneosha wrote: "I think its awesome its going to be in Ivy's POV. She is one my favorites and I'd like to see more of what she was going through the year before Rachel quit the IS"
I love Ivy and Dates From Hell :) Looking forward to the new graphic novels

message 16: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments Shelby wrote: "Okay, so what are your guys ideas on how the series will end? Who do you think she'll end up with?"

You know, I don't know....I change my mind from book to book on who I want her to end up with. Sometimes I think it would be cool if her and Trent wound up together, although I kind of like Pierce. Choices, choices......

message 17: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments I love Pierce, but I think that eventually (don't look at me funny) she'll end up with Al. I mean, she is going to live forever (if she doesn't get herself killed) and everyone around her is going to die. Each book, they gain trust with each other. Even Al said "Have your time in the sun. You're worth the wait."

message 18: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments No, I'm not looking at you funny-I noticed it as well. I always did have a soft spot for the bad boy-I think they are soooo much more interesting. And if anyone can make a demon redeemable it's Kim Harrison.

message 19: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Crystal wrote: "No, I'm not looking at you funny-I noticed it as well. I always did have a soft spot for the bad boy-I think they are soooo much more interesting. And if anyone can make a demon redeemable it's Kim..."

Yeah Al seems to be getting more and more attached to Rachel. Did you notice in BMS how he seemed almost jealous at Pierce when he showed up to stop Rachel from learning to jump lines?

message 20: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments Yes, I did notice that. He seems almost propietory towards her when Pierce is around. The next book should be very interesting......

message 21: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I thought it was strange how when Ceri was released, she cried because she hadn't eaten in a 1000 years. And then Al was feeding Rachel a sandwich. He really must like her more but I'm so afraid of what he would do if she ever started liking him.

message 22: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments Al is definately an unknown factor-we don't really know what his motivations are and what his true feelings are. I think he has definately evolved as a character since we first saw him in the series when he was just the big bad monster under the bed

message 23: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I thought it was strange how when Ceri was released, she cried because she hadn't eaten in a 1000 years. And then Al was feeding Rachel a sandwich. He really must like her more but I'm so afraid ..."
You know, I never even noticed that :)
I kinda have the feeling that Rachel is going to do something stupid and everyone is gonna die, as morbid as that sounds, and that she is going to end up in the ever after.

message 24: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Oh yeah! I was wondering who you guys thought Tent and his dogs were hunting at the end?

message 25: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments *Trent :)

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Jonathan.

message 27: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I thought it was Jonathan because of the remember spell he screwed up on purpose.

message 28: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments Yes, it was Jonathan. He betrayed Trent.

message 29: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Yeah, I know.. But it just seems weird because Jonathan and Trent have known each other for so long. This couldn't be the only time he screwed up.
Well, maybe. I guess it couldn't really be anyone else...

message 30: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments He didn't really screw up-He did what he did deliberately. He betrayed Trent, and Trent won't tolerate that. That's part of the reason Rachel was invited on the hunt.

message 31: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments Okay, I can see that. But I also wonder whether Rachel will go through with it and let the dogs kill him.

message 32: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments She joined the hunt....but if she actually went through with killing Jonathan-well I guess we'll have to wait until the next book comes out to know for sure.

message 33: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (rotaauthor) | 32 comments God, that seems way to far way

message 34: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (millionmph) I read on Kim's website where she answered a few questions about the ending with Trent and Rachel hunting Johnathon, and this was one of her answers...
"Yes, the ending is abrupt, but what happened after that is between Rachel and Trent. It will come out in the next book a little."
So it sounds like we may not get much on the subject.

message 35: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments I can't wait......

message 36: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rowen1313) | 29 comments does anyone know of an ETA for the next one?

message 37: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (millionmph) Feb 2011 I believe is the estimate.

message 38: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rowen1313) | 29 comments oh poo thats a year since the last. Thanks for the info

message 39: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Plan on once a year from here on in.

Basically when the books become more plot heavy and more involved they take longer to write. And if the author takes on too much (like two books a year for more than one series)people start complaining about the quality of the books.

There are some authors who just write fast. But most need the year to put out a good book.

message 40: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 101 comments FYI:- Preorder is now up for book 9 of the hollows series on amazon.co.uk. Probably the same for Amazon.com

message 41: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Is the first one just slow? I am finding it hard to get into (I am reading #1) --- does it get more interseting?

message 42: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Regina, I didn't find the first book slow, but others did. Most Paranormal books have to explain the universe. I don't remember the Hollows having a 50 page data dump but it is possible I've got a high tolerance for that kind of thing. Decades of SF and historical novels will do that to one.

What aren't you finding interesting? One of the things that does happen after the first few books is Rachel isn't quite as much out of her depth and isn't running quite as hard for her life. But she is always in a lot of trouble, a lot of it caused by herself.

message 43: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Starling, I like world building, that is never an issue for me. Although I do prefer when the writer plops you in to the world, as Ilona Andrews does. But my issues is that I am not sure if I like Rachel, the threat she is facing is not interesting to me, and the characters just do not seem to stand out. Thank you for describing how the next few books go, maybe this series is just not for me.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this series, nor are they a slow start to me. Try wading through a little more to see if things don't pick-up. I'd hate for you to miss my favorite character Rachel's little pixie companion, Jinx.

message 45: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) He is my favorite character so far in the book. I like the twist that Rachel thinks he is hot. :)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments Regina,

I had the same problem with the audio of the first book....I finally tried it again last month.....it does get better. I started reading the second book and got myself sidetracked and I have a feeling that for me this is one of those series that I prefer to listen to instead of reading...so the second one is on hold unit I get the audio.....

message 47: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I have read them and listened to the audio. It takes a while to get used to the voices, but I enjoyed the audio better. The narrator is fabulous and puts a lot of emotion into the words.
This is one of my top five series.

message 48: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I was thinking about the new book Pale Demon and I wondered if this was going to be the book with Rachel & Trent with a cross country car ride. Turns out is it YIPEE! I hope they kiss or something ( I always thought Trent would be her HEA)

Here is the blurb if you are interested!
Book Description:
Condemned to death for black magic and shunned, Rachel Morgan has three days to somehow get to the annual witches convention in San Francisco and clear her name. If she fails, the only way she can escape death is to live in the demonic ever after . . . for ever after.

Banned from the flight lists, Rachel teams up with elven tycoon Trent Kalamack, headed for the West Coast for her own mysterious business. But Rachel isn't the only passanger along for the ride. Can a witch, an elf, a living vampire, and a pixy in one car survive for over 2,300 miles? And that's not counting the assassin on their tail.

A fearsome demon walks the sunlight, freed after centuries of torment to slay the innocent and devour souls. But his ultimate prey is Rachel Morgan. While the powerful witch with nerves of steel will do whatever it takes to stay alive, even embracing her own demonic nature may not be enough to save her

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Dawn wrote: "I was thinking about the new book Pale Demon and I wondered if this was going to be the book with Rachel & Trent with a cross country car ride. Turns out is it YIPEE! I hope they kiss or something ..."

That sounds really awesome!!! And it looks like it's going to have a lot of humor in it.

message 50: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I hope so plus I really want Rachel and Trent to end up together :-)

« previous 1 3